IGNORED

DIY DC power cables

Cost differential? .... for when it turns up at Ghent!

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/23/2019 at 11:40 AM, Nenon said:

If you have a chance to try the Mundorf Silver/Gold 15.5 AWG in teflon, I highly recommend it.

I still stand behind this. This Mundorf silver/gold is still my reference cable. A few people were going to try it, but I never heard back. I wonder if:

a. they are so happy listening to music with these cables that don't have time to come back and post; or

b. they are mad at me for the advice I gave them :); or

c. they just never tried it.

You can read about my recent experience in this post:

On 11/4/2019 at 4:55 PM, Nenon said:

Not a Statement owner, but I have a highly tweaked server with the same power supply concept (and actually very similar LPS than the Statement, arguably a slightly upgraded version in my system). The important part is that just like on the Statement I have the regulators close to motherboard and everything else in a different chassis connected with DIY umbilical cords. My umbilical cords were 10'' solid Neotech 7N pure copper 16 AWG wire with triple JSSG360 shielding. They have been running for months...

I had about 30 inches of 15.5AWG Mundorf silver/gold left from another project I completed over the weekend for a friend. Decided to do a 2-pin umbilical DC cord with it. Unplugged the Neotech copper umbilical cord, plugged the Mundorf silver/gold and I was surprised to hear such level of improvement. I knew that the cable from the regulators to the motherboard made a difference, but I did not expect the cables before the regulators to make such a difference.

So, yes, I fully believe that the upgraded umbilicals take the Statement to the next level. It would be even bigger upgrade on the Statement if you upgrade the internal wiring. But that would surely void the warranty. But hey, people do a lot of crazy things for that last level of refinement. Just saying... 

Industry disclosure: 

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Aries Cerat, Audio Mirror, Sean Jacobs

https://chicagohifi.com 

39 minutes ago, Nenon said:

I still stand behind this. This Mundorf silver/gold is still my reference cable. A few people were going to try it, but I never heard back. I wonder if:

a. they are so happy listening to music with these cables that don't have time to come back and post; or

b. they are mad at me for the advice I gave them :); or

c. they just never tried it.

You can read about my recent experience in this post:

Hi Nenon

Did you buy the Mundorf wire from parts-connexion or another site?

Thanks

On 10/17/2019 at 1:52 PM, zacho said:

I just terminated a pair of VH audio Cu21. Using it from a Ciunas supercapacitor iso-ps to feed an Allo Digione Signature so it's terminated with 2.5 -> USB-C. It's replacing a Ghent GAC-4 jssg360. 

When I replaced the stock cable with the GAC-4, what immediately stood out was the more solid bass lines. I felt that there was a mid bass emphasis. Everything became more palpable with a somewhat smooth and liquid mid-range. This was after the long burn-in I experienced.

Replacing the GAC-4 with the Cu21, immediate impressions were that of a more holographic and 3d presentation with a slightly more energetic sound. Low end went much deeper and hit even harder.

These are my initial impressions of the Cu21 vs the GAC-4 but i'm gonna burn in the cable for another 2 weeks before revisiting this comparison.

Hope this helps!

I have the same set up as you so was wondering if your impressions have changed at all? I’m wondering how much of an uplift you feel you got over the stock cable, and how much of a difference between the GAC-4 and Cu21? 

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, ken6217 said:
I just received my cable from Ghent. Am I supposed to remove or leave on the plastic piece that is on the barrel of the connector? Thanks.

IMG_3505.jpg

Those are actually 3 different silicon O rings, meant as spacers, because not every 2.1/2.5mm jack has the same insertion depth to fully seat the plug.

Generally you can just leave them as is, unless you find the jack on your equipment is deeper than normal, in which case you can remove one or more of the O rings, as that will allow the plug to seat deeper in the jack.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

I'd remove them and gently plug it in. If there is a gap then reinstall the appropriate washers

Nearfield setup-Matrix Element H USB>Curious Evolved>Yggy OG>Freya+>Mono Trys>Harbeth P3ESR 40th & Martin Logan Dynamo 1100X & Burson Soloist w/ Super Charger> Mr.Speakers Ether 2,& Technics 1500C, Arcromat> SoundSmith Carmen MkII > Zu Mission>Parks Puffin Toslink.. Blue Jeans interconnects, Pangea power cables, IsoAcoustics feet, Goldpoint SW2X

• 2 months later...
On 9/25/2017 at 1:01 AM, JohnSwenson said:

For a single ended cable (RCA plugs on each end), star quad carries the signals, one pair to the pin, one pair to the ring. Shield around bundle is not connected in any way to the star quad or RCA plugs. A separate wire connects one end of the shield to the other.

I have been experimenting with interconnects done this way, Canare microphone cable did not sound so great, BUT Belden 1804A sounds fantastic! This is very thin, very flexible shielded starquad with silver plated copper strands with polypropylene insulation and a braided shield. I used the new Eichman harmony RCA plugs with this ($39 for 4 at VH Audio). For the shield wire I loosely wrapped silicone rubber insulated 24AWG super flexible wire (on Amazon from GNTECHGO) (about three turns per foot). 

These connectors are a dream to use and they even have an insert for using thin cable. The shell has plenty of room to cover the shield to wire connection. Highly recommended.

The cable takes quite a while to burn in, I would give it a week of constant playing before assessing sonic qualities. It sounds fantastic, is super flexible and inexpensive to make.

I got my cable from Markertek in the US, there is a place in the UK that also sells by the foot, I'm not sure about other areas.

John S.

Dear John, indeed a super cable connected with Eichmann.

I am realy flabbergasted and outperforms without burning in time immediately (much) more  expensive interlink cables.More layers, better separation en stereo effect.........

S U P E R.🤠🤠🤠

Best regards, Andreas

Ethernet::4x Bonn Silent Angel 8P, Afterdark Emperor Doublr  Crown Masterclock and Cybershaft 75 Ohm,Mini Circuits convertor,Uptone EtherRegen with 75Ohm. SOTM Cat CAT 7.

Audio: Auralic Vega G2.1, Cambridge Edge W, Kef Reference 3 speakers.  
Power: Farad super 3 (2x) , Keces P8 ( 2 Uptone LPS1.2 ) Afterdark 5V: 

Cables:Meicord Opal, SOTM Cat7 with filtering, Ghent Audio DC , Farad Level 2, Sharkwire speaker cable

• 7 months later...
On 9/25/2017 at 12:01 PM, JohnSwenson said:

For a single ended cable (RCA plugs on each end), star quad carries the signals, one pair to the pin, one pair to the ring. Shield around bundle is not connected in any way to the star quad or RCA plugs. A separate wire connects one end of the shield to the other.

I have been experimenting with interconnects done this way, Canare microphone cable did not sound so great, BUT Belden 1804A sounds fantastic! This is very thin, very flexible shielded starquad with silver plated copper strands with polypropylene insulation and a braided shield. I used the new Eichman harmony RCA plugs with this ($39 for 4 at VH Audio). For the shield wire I loosely wrapped silicone rubber insulated 24AWG super flexible wire (on Amazon from GNTECHGO) (about three turns per foot). 

These connectors are a dream to use and they even have an insert for using thin cable. The shell has plenty of room to cover the shield to wire connection. Highly recommended.

The cable takes quite a while to burn in, I would give it a week of constant playing before assessing sonic qualities. It sounds fantastic, is super flexible and inexpensive to make.

I got my cable from Markertek in the US, there is a place in the UK that also sells by the foot, I'm not sure about other areas.

John S.

Hi John

I want to DIY some RCA cables and was wondering if you're still happy using the Belden 1804A cable with Eichman harmony RCA plugs as described in your 2017 post above?

Thanks

50 minutes ago, tims said:

Hi John

I want to DIY some RCA cables and was wondering if you're still happy using the Belden 1804A cable with Eichman harmony RCA plugs as described in your 2017 post above?

Thanks

Yep I'm still using them, I have found nothing better. I love them. By far the best cables I've ever had and WAY less money than other offerings. They DO take a long time to burn in.

I just redid my phono system and replaced everything with the 1804A cables, phenomenal now.

John S.

7 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

Yep I'm still using them, I have found nothing better. I love them. By far the best cables I've ever had and WAY less money than other offerings. They DO take a long time to burn in.

I just redid my phono system and replaced everything with the 1804A cables, phenomenal now.

John S.

Thanks John

Do you or anyone know where I can buy the 1804A by the foot or metre?  So far the minimum length I can find to buy is 50 feet with most places selling the cable by the 100 foot spool.

6 hours ago, tims said:

Thanks John

Do you or anyone know where I can buy the 1804A by the foot or metre?  So far the minimum length I can find to buy is 50 feet with most places selling the cable by the 100 foot spool.

Gotham cables are also very good, FYI. They have many different lengths and available through Amazon. Good luck!

https://www.amazon.com/1-5-Foot-RCA-Cable-Pair/dp/B07FR3BDZY/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=gotham+cable&qid=1600810915&sr=8-3

If you are going to buy Gotham cable go directly to their web site.  http://www.gothamaudiousa.com/

No need to give amazon a cut of the sale.  Lewis is very easy to deal with.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

Hi,

Seems to be more critical is about awg sizes i.e. resistance in electricity fundamentals in this SQ improvement discussion on dc power cables with oyaide connectors even before comparing merits of material or brands ?

Gotham: 4x22awg or 2x0.325mm2

Canare: 4x20awg or 2x0.519mm2

Neotech: 4x18awg or 2x0.823mm2

Mundorf Au/Ag: 2x1.5mm2

My uptone stock 0.7m cable used is awg16 or 1.31mm2 of unknown material type but do not seems to make sense to get Gotham or Canare then from ghent audio.

Cheers.

Richard

awg.gif

Screenshot_20200927-085734_Chrome.jpg

Revel Salon 2 speakers, Sander Magtech amp, Audible Illusion L3B (Blackgate) preamp, Denafrips Terminator Plus dac, Denafrips Hermes ddc, Antipodes CX/EX/P1/P2 server/player (Oladra upgraded), Denafrips Avatar cdp, Bel Canto fm1 tuner, Airties Wireless Mesh, ifi Blue Zen BT receiver, 2X Uptone EtherRegen + AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10M clock, Zerozone 5/7.5/12v LPS, Uptone LPS 1.2, 2x diy 2kVA Isotransformers, dedicated 20/30A lines for separate digital/analog, Nordost Quattro Fil interconnects, Acoustic Revive TripleC Ethernet/i2S cables, Shunyata Sigma usb cable with ifi Idefender 3.0, Aurealis/Apogee/Canare BNC clock cables, Cardas Clear speaker cable and jumpers, Zonotone Shupreme/5050 powercords, Garrard 301 on slate plinth/sme 3012R/Ortofon Classic Royal GM mk2/diy 301 motor PSU/graham IC90/kimber tak ag etc./Headamp Gilmore Lite Mk2+Golden Reference PSU/Grado FreeSystem fg-1 headphones

55 minutes ago, richard_crl032 said:

Hi,

Seems to be more critical is about awg sizes i.e. resistance in electricity fundamentals in this SQ improvement discussion on dc power cables with oyaide connectors even before comparing merits of material or brands ?

Gotham: 4x22awg or 2x0.325mm2

Canare: 4x20awg or 2x0.519mm2

Neotech: 4x18awg or 2x0.823mm2

Mundorf Au/Ag: 2x1.5mm2

My uptone stock 0.7m cable used is awg16 or 1.31mm2 of unknown material type but do not seems to make sense to get Gotham or Canare then from ghent audio.

Cheers.

Richard

awg.gif

Screenshot_20200927-085734_Chrome.jpg

You should definitely try the Gotham GAC-4/1 11301 UltraPro Star Quad DC(JSSG360) cable especially if you have an UltraCap LPS-1.2. The difference is amazing (in my system at least).

Regards
GG

4 hours ago, GryphonGuy said:

You should definitely try the Gotham GAC-4/1 11301 UltraPro Star Quad DC(JSSG360) cable especially if you have an UltraCap LPS-1.2. The difference is amazing (in my system at least).

Regards
GG

Hey GG,

Thanks for the advice .. just cannot accept using a lower current carrying one of effective awg19 at 0.65mm for gotham's compared to stock ul1185 awg16 which is at 1.3mm diameter while having added shielding which I believe is not critical in my case of just 0.5-0.7m length.

Cheers.

Richard

Revel Salon 2 speakers, Sander Magtech amp, Audible Illusion L3B (Blackgate) preamp, Denafrips Terminator Plus dac, Denafrips Hermes ddc, Antipodes CX/EX/P1/P2 server/player (Oladra upgraded), Denafrips Avatar cdp, Bel Canto fm1 tuner, Airties Wireless Mesh, ifi Blue Zen BT receiver, 2X Uptone EtherRegen + AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10M clock, Zerozone 5/7.5/12v LPS, Uptone LPS 1.2, 2x diy 2kVA Isotransformers, dedicated 20/30A lines for separate digital/analog, Nordost Quattro Fil interconnects, Acoustic Revive TripleC Ethernet/i2S cables, Shunyata Sigma usb cable with ifi Idefender 3.0, Aurealis/Apogee/Canare BNC clock cables, Cardas Clear speaker cable and jumpers, Zonotone Shupreme/5050 powercords, Garrard 301 on slate plinth/sme 3012R/Ortofon Classic Royal GM mk2/diy 301 motor PSU/graham IC90/kimber tak ag etc./Headamp Gilmore Lite Mk2+Golden Reference PSU/Grado FreeSystem fg-1 headphones

3 hours ago, richard_crl032 said:

Hi,

Hi Richard,

my priority is quite different than yours:

#1 geometry in order: star quad, twisted pair, zip cord

#2 insulation material ie the dielectric. Teflon the best, polypropylene, silicone rubber, worst is PVC

#3 gauge

#3 metal type and purity

Spend your money on the higher up on the list. In other words don't bother with silver or "6nines" until you already have teflon star quad.

John S.