IGNORED

DIY DC power cables

54 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

Hi Richard,

my priority is quite different than yours:

#1 geometry in order: star quad, twisted pair, zip cord

#2 insulation material ie the dielectric. Teflon the best, polypropylene, silicone rubber, worst is PVC

#3 gauge

#3 metal type and purity

Spend your money on the higher up on the list. In other words don't bother with silver or "6nines" until you already have teflon star quad.

John S.

Hi John,

Thanks and understand but the impatient me could not wait .. just back from local audio contact quartz acoustic to reterminated one end of the stock UL1185 with the oyaide DC 2.5mm at usd25 to fit better (correctly) to my Bel Canto fm1 tuner.

Will explore more from Ghentaudio on star quad gotham or canare ofc  (latter preferred again for bigger diameter) which is affordable at usd48 just checked when upgrade itch returns

For now, getting the used aka cheaper uptone lps1.2 to be powered by the redundant 7.5A output from the 60w x2 zerozone lps to power the Bel Canto and freeing the 12v used from the zerozone lps to the power my computer grade netgear switch instead of switching meanwell psu makes sense to me ... this dual lps yield more details and transparency with resulting clean background as well as knowing at least lps to the switch 😍.

Cheers.

Richard

20200927_152233.jpg

Revel Salon 2 speakers, Sander Magtech amp, Audible Illusion L3B (Blackgate) preamp, Denafrips Terminator Plus dac, Denafrips Hermes ddc, Antipodes CX/EX/P1/P2 server/player (Oladra upgraded), Denafrips Avatar cdp, Bel Canto fm1 tuner, Airties Wireless Mesh, ifi Blue Zen BT receiver, 2X Uptone EtherRegen + AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10M clock, Zerozone 5/7.5/12v LPS, Uptone LPS 1.2, 2x diy 2kVA Isotransformers, dedicated 20/30A lines for separate digital/analog, Nordost Quattro Fil interconnects, Acoustic Revive TripleC Ethernet/i2S cables, Shunyata Sigma usb cable with ifi Idefender 3.0, Aurealis/Apogee/Canare BNC clock cables, Cardas Clear speaker cable and jumpers, Zonotone Shupreme/5050 powercords, Garrard 301 on slate plinth/sme 3012R/Ortofon Classic Royal GM mk2/diy 301 motor PSU/graham IC90/kimber tak ag etc./Headamp Gilmore Lite Mk2+Golden Reference PSU/Grado FreeSystem fg-1 headphones

13 hours ago, GryphonGuy said:

You should definitely try the Gotham GAC-4/1 11301 UltraPro Star Quad DC(JSSG360) cable especially if you have an UltraCap LPS-1.2. The difference is amazing (in my system at least).

Regards
GG

Hi GG,

Got weak and ordered from Ghentaudio.

Cheers.

Richard

20200927_230643.jpg

Revel Salon 2 speakers, Sander Magtech amp, Audible Illusion L3B (Blackgate) preamp, Denafrips Terminator Plus dac, Denafrips Hermes ddc, Antipodes CX/EX/P1/P2 server/player (Oladra upgraded), Denafrips Avatar cdp, Bel Canto fm1 tuner, Airties Wireless Mesh, ifi Blue Zen BT receiver, 2X Uptone EtherRegen + AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10M clock, Zerozone 5/7.5/12v LPS, Uptone LPS 1.2, 2x diy 2kVA Isotransformers, dedicated 20/30A lines for separate digital/analog, Nordost Quattro Fil interconnects, Acoustic Revive TripleC Ethernet/i2S cables, Shunyata Sigma usb cable with ifi Idefender 3.0, Aurealis/Apogee/Canare BNC clock cables, Cardas Clear speaker cable and jumpers, Zonotone Shupreme/5050 powercords, Garrard 301 on slate plinth/sme 3012R/Ortofon Classic Royal GM mk2/diy 301 motor PSU/graham IC90/kimber tak ag etc./Headamp Gilmore Lite Mk2+Golden Reference PSU/Grado FreeSystem fg-1 headphones

12 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

Hi Richard,

my priority is quite different than yours:

#1 geometry in order: star quad, twisted pair, zip cord

#2 insulation material ie the dielectric. Teflon the best, polypropylene, silicone rubber, worst is PVC

#3 gauge

#3 metal type and purity

Spend your money on the higher up on the list. In other words don't bother with silver or "6nines" until you already have teflon star quad.

John S.

On 9/22/2020 at 7:17 PM, JohnSwenson said:

Yep I'm still using them, I have found nothing better. I love them. By far the best cables I've ever had and WAY less money than other offerings. They DO take a long time to burn in.

I just redid my phono system and replaced everything with the 1804A cables, phenomenal now.

John S.

Hi John

With your 1804A RCA cables are you using any extra shielding such as the JSSG360 method?

Thanks

2 hours ago, Nenon said:

Hmmm, my priority is definitely different than that. At this point, I've received feedback from over 20 people who have done DC cables with the 15.5 AWG Mundorf silver/gold wire, and... with or without shielding... regardless of the geometry they used (some people twisted the wires, others just ran them parallel)... they sounded a lot better than anything else mentioned here. Significantly better, actually. In a good resolving system, replacing the DC cable with a Mundorf silver/gold cable could be as noticeable as replacing a component. The trick is to keep the cables short - 1-2 feet, no more than 3'. 

I am not trying to promote a product but just to spread some more awareness of this amazing wire. I've published a DIY recipe already, and anyone who can solder two wires can make them. Yes, the wire is expensive, but if you have a good audio system, it is totally worth it. 

Hi Neon,

I heard good things about this mundorf ag/au wire for dc cable locally also but mentioned twisted, straight up, with jssg360 etc. variants are unknown to me and surely that they also made differences for those who can hear "big" difference in the 1st place. Not too surprised also since awg15.5 at 1.46mm2 like stock compared to gotham, canare etc. especially if some diyers twist 2 strands into one.

Any comment to these variants else I think many like me will hesitate to venture there.

For me, I am a believer in cables at a price point used to tune one's system to their preference and its limitations but main improvement are from hardware itself and the technologies involved ... as in my case of adding secondary lps of uptone lps1.2 that yield favorable outcome for my bel canto fm1 tuner with quieter background that yield more details and transparency. Not a believer of wishful owners that a single cable as a minute part of one's system is as good as replacing a component at least generally and not a worse matching component .. else a joke to our hobby and advanced technologies to not needing the usd430 uptone lps1.2 and just add mundorf au/ag to my 1st level zerozone lps 🤪

Think I will stop with the Ghentaudio's gotham and perhaps at the risk of getting anal on this dc cable thingy but if you can help me to fabricate best mundorf au/ag variant of 0.5m with oyaide 2.1mm to 2.5mm, I will be interested to buy it from you and provide a review of any difference with stock terminated with oyaide 2.5mm and ghentaudio's gotham jssg360 in my not too bad resolution by speakers and headphone ... ymmv if course but test of the pudding at least for my ears then.

Cheers.

Richard

7 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

I just use JSSG, otherwise known a use a silicon rubber wire to connect to the shield at both ends. I don't think the JSSG360 is particularly useful for audio cables, it does work for digital cables.

John S.

Hi John S,

Just to clarify regarding the 1804A RCA cables with JSSG:

the silicone wire connects to the shield at both ends , but the silicone wire and the shield both do NOT connect to the RCA plug at all, right?

1 hour ago, Nenon said:

My point was that no matter what geometry you use with this wire (i.e. twisted or parallel wires), a cable with the 15.5 AWG Mundorf silver/gold wire sounds better than any other DC cable discussed here. At least to my years and in my system, but also to 20+ other people in their systems. 

Sure, the geometry and shielding makes a difference too. I did not say it did not. In fact, one of my first tests was with two identical cables but different shielding, one with JSSG360 and one without, connected to my cable modem. And yes, I could absolutely hear a difference. The fact that I could hear a difference of the shielding on a DC cable to my cable modem was quite shocking and an eye opener. 

I have tried both, twisted pair and parallel wires. My preference at the moment is to have the wires parallel, with the wires inserted inside an unbleached natural cotton sleeve. As for shielding, there are places where I like JSSG360 and places where I don't. However, as a starting point for people who want to try making this cable, I would recommend to do a twisted pair and JSSG360 shielding. Can't go wrong that way... 

Obviously some common sense should be applied when you read my posts, and it would be best if you can see from my point of view. I have a very resolving system and multiple very expensive power supplies. The more improvements I make to my system the more resolving it becomes, and the easier it is to hear small changes. If we go back in time two or three years, replacing my DAC had less of an impact than replacing the DC cable (e.g. feeding the JCAT XE USB card on my server) today. 

I am not suggesting that everyone would hear a difference between DC cables in any system. Most people won't, but those with very resolving systems would. Those with zerozone LPS may not hear very big difference with DC cables. And of course it would not be a good idea to spend more money on DC cables than the LPS. Upgrade the LPS first, and if you can hear clear differences between the Gotham, Neotech, and other DC cables mentioned here, maybe it's time to try a cable with the Mundorf silver/gold wire. 

Hi Neon,

Thanks for the sharing on the mundorf au/ag dc cable variants if one wish to diy .. perhaps later but still no confidence to do it well or needed as yet.

Sorry for not being clear .. the zerozone lps 7.5v is powering the uptone lps1.2 and the dc cable is to replace the stock awg16 of uptone for 12v  ..  will share if indeed any difference upon receipt of Ghent's gotham from stock terminated one end with Oyaide 2.5mm dc connector for my Bel Canto.

Not sure what lps meets your requirement of a discerning lps but uptone lps1.2 ok ?  Btw, zerozone is based on below just in case and hope these amb guys knows what they are doing then:

https://www.amb.org/audio/sigma22/

Meanwhile, indeed it irks me to see statements by cables owners who believe their latest cable remotely equals to change to better equipment .. regardless their passion and often in hardball manners.

You may also want to share your system setup for us to understand your lps, sources dac, speakers/headphone etc. and where the mundorf ag/au dc cable is used to understand the mentioned high resolution needed to discern the big improvement.

Cheers 

Richard

Hi Neon,

Noted and thanks again !

All good and hope to get mundorf au/ag cable to mod one of the dc cable some day to know the difference albiet not expecting anything like in your setup as it is only for my bel canto fm1 tuner.

Cheers.

Richard

On 9/29/2020 at 3:53 AM, Nenon said:

My point was that no matter what geometry you use with this wire (i.e. twisted or parallel wires), a cable with the 15.5 AWG Mundorf silver/gold wire sounds better than any other DC cable discussed here. At least to my years and in my system, but also to 20+ other people in their systems. 

Sure, the geometry and shielding makes a difference too. I did not say it did not. In fact, one of my first tests was with two identical cables but different shielding, one with JSSG360 and one without, connected to my cable modem. And yes, I could absolutely hear a difference. The fact that I could hear a difference of the shielding on a DC cable to my cable modem was quite shocking and an eye opener. 

I have tried both, twisted pair and parallel wires. My preference at the moment is to have the wires parallel, with the wires inserted inside an unbleached natural cotton sleeve. As for shielding, there are places where I like JSSG360 and places where I don't. However, as a starting point for people who want to try making this cable, I would recommend to do a twisted pair and JSSG360 shielding. Can't go wrong that way... 

Obviously some common sense should be applied when you read my posts, and it would be best if you can see from my point of view. I have a very resolving system and multiple very expensive power supplies. The more improvements I make to my system the more resolving it becomes, and the easier it is to hear small changes. If we go back in time two or three years, replacing my DAC had less of an impact than replacing the DC cable (e.g. feeding the JCAT XE USB card on my server) today. 

I am not suggesting that everyone would hear a difference between DC cables in any system. Most people won't, but those with very resolving systems would. Those with zerozone LPS may not hear very big difference with DC cables. And of course it would not be a good idea to spend more money on DC cables than the LPS. Upgrade the LPS first, and if you can hear clear differences between the Gotham, Neotech, and other DC cables mentioned here, maybe it's time to try a cable with the Mundorf silver/gold wire. 

Hi Nenon

In regard to the mundorf wire, how do you think it would suit using it in a diy star quad design? 

The reason I ask is that I seen the wire in the past and it seemed to me at the time to be rigid and not very flexible and I wonder how the insulation (on the wire) would stand up to the tight twisting required for the star quad design?

OT but any ideas if the mundorf wire would make a difference in say a diy RCA cable?  I'm thinking of this design here:

https://www.venhaus1.com/diysilverinterconnects.html

Maybe the minute signal current involved would negate any benefit the mundorf would give; don't know :)

2 minutes ago, tims said:

In regard to the mundorf wire, how do you think it would suit using it in a diy star quad design? 

The reason I ask is that I seen the wire in the past and it seemed to me at the time to be rigid and not very flexible and I wonder how the insulation (on the wire) would stand up to the tight twisting required for the star quad design?

I think it would work fine.

2 minutes ago, tims said:

OT but any ideas if the mundorf wire would make a difference in say a diy RCA cable?

Never tried that to be honest. 

Industry disclosure: 

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Aries Cerat, Audio Mirror, Sean Jacobs

https://chicagohifi.com 

Topic on Lessloss bulk wires:

I want to use these cables to make DC cable with oyaide DC barrel connectors

Any suggestions how how to do that ?

The lessloss wire is interesting because of its geometry, cotton as dielectric (no plastic), awg of the 192 strands is 13-14 awg, cotton fiber also used inside to damp microvibrations. I plan to use the already tinned version ready to solder since I dont have a soldering pot. My intent is to use one wire for the + and one for the  ground in parrallel (difficult to twist if at the other end appears a difference of length).

Do you think it can fit into the oyaide and what is best way to manage that (with WBT copper sleeve?).

I plan to use an outside jacket carbon infused nylon by techflex :

https://www.techflex.com/metal-shielding/flexo-anti-stat?product_selected=CNN0.25BK

thanks for experienced DIYers to chime in!

Richard

VHaudio-jack.jpg

LessLoss-C-MARC-soldering-sRGB-143px.jpg

03-LessLoss_C-MARC_Hook-Up_Large.jpg

11 minutes ago, Ricardo007 said:

I plan to use the already tinned version ready to solder since I dont have a soldering pot

you must solder if you plan using those Oyaide DC plugs

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

• 2 weeks later...

I am using a few Farad Super 3 power supplies, paired with some Gotham dc cables from Ghent Audio. 

Have been wondering about the Farad level 2 silver dc cables. Recently spoke to a forum member here and he was recommending the mundorf silver/gold, and gave some useful local contacts to have them made. 

Has anyone compared the Farad silver dc to the mundorfs?

I don't have very good experience with silver/gold combination (I assume there is both silver and gold in the wire build, given the name); I had a silver/gold headphone cable made a while back and it was a bit of a disappointment in that there was loss of dynamism and very rolled off highs resulting in lack of clarity and sparkle. Also there was lack of low end extension. 

So just a little bit concerned, before I set off on an expedition to get several new dc cables made/ordered.. 

2 hours ago, Roasty said:

I am using a few Farad Super 3 power supplies, paired with some Gotham dc cables from Ghent Audio. 

Have been wondering about the Farad level 2 silver dc cables. Recently spoke to a forum member here and he was recommending the mundorf silver/gold, and gave some useful local contacts to have them made. 

Has anyone compared the Farad silver dc to the mundorfs?

I don't have very good experience with silver/gold combination (I assume there is both silver and gold in the wire build, given the name); I had a silver/gold headphone cable made a while back and it was a bit of a disappointment in that there was loss of dynamism and very rolled off highs resulting in lack of clarity and sparkle. Also there was lack of low end extension. 

So just a little bit concerned, before I set off on an expedition to get several new dc cables made/ordered.. 

first thing is to determine how you handle the GX16 side of things, it is a 4 pin connector, are you planning to use 4 wires? in that case you cannot use 4 mundorf on the oyaide side.

central pin of oyaide is 1.8mm internal diameter and mundorf is 15.5 awg, so I dont think you can put 2 mundorf wires on the central pin of oyaide, do you? alternatively you can use only 2 mundorf but you have to check the internal diameter of GX16 connector, i dont know...

Farad uses 4x2 wires of 26 awg in its silver version so it gives you 20awg for the +

53 minutes ago, Ricardo007 said:

first thing is to determine how you handle the GX16 side of things, it is a 4 pin connector, are you planning to use 4 wires? in that case you cannot use 4 mundorf on the oyaide side.

central pin of oyaide is 1.8mm internal diameter and mundorf is 15.5 awg, so I dont think you can put 2 mundorf wires on the central pin of oyaide, do you? alternatively you can use only 2 mundorf but you have to check the internal diameter of GX16 connector, i dont know...

Farad uses 4x2 wires of 26 awg in its silver version so it gives you 20awg for the +

From what was communicated to me, 2x 18awg into stock farad GX16 for each cable. He has gotten these made successfully. I have no experience in cable DIY so I will likely just follow whatever is recommended. 

• 2 weeks later...

i have also heard good things about the Mundorf Silver Gold. I am in the same boat as you @Roasty, in that I want to DIY a DC cable for the Farad3, with its GX16. I have the GX16 connectors but I have been trying to figure out how to get it to fit. My inclination is as you have indicated, use 4 stands of 18AWG in a  star quad twist and hopefully fit it into a Oyaide DC barrel. 

So it is possible!? Have you tried this @Nenon
Are there any downsides? And can you link to your Mundorf DC cable recipe?

Other comments- I had two Gotham JSSG360 cables made and they proved to have an annoying treble over time, and neither are in my system anymore, it was a relief to have them out. I also didn’t like the Neotech, for me it was slow and plodding sounding. I actually prefer the cheaper Canare 4S8 which has the bass of the Neotech but is quicker and more agile sounding.

Anyway, any comments, guidance or experience with 18 AwG Mundorf silver gold into the Oyaide barrell would be hugely appreciated.

You can always leave the barrel of the Oyaide off and fashion some other type of strain relief using a barrel of some sort and plenty of heat shrink. Won't look pretty but would work. Might be best with the angle plug as that gives a nice solid body to grasp. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab.