IGNORED

DIY DC power cables

On 4/11/2018 at 8:24 PM, JohnSwenson said:

DIY USB cables are probably the least likely to be done right (ie if you don't know what you are doing it may not work at all). You can't hurt anything if it is not done right, it just doesn't work right. The probability of getting the basics right is pretty low, so it is a useless enterprise to make your own with expensive wire etc and find out it doesn't sound very good, you have no idea if it is the materials or the basic properties of the cable such impedance etc.

If you really want to DIY USB cables I recommend you have a TDR and know how to use it to get impedance right.

You are certainly free to play around with DIY USB cables, you MAY get something that sounds really good, but making sweeping general statements about materials, geometry etc would seem to not be a good thing to do.

John S.

Thanks for the sanity check, John.  Read some of the USB spec til my eyes glazed over.  As confirmation, heard from one USB cable fabricator that he is no longer producing them due to the complexity.  Obviously it is more than just connecting 4 wires to the USB connectors!  Begs the question as to how many available cables actually meet the 90ohms, etc. of the spec!?

Since I have now freed up some wire ;-)  , I am again moving back to DC power cables.   Have done a couple with JSSG and JSGT but in retrospect have a couple of questions that came to mind during modification of a battery-powered DC supply...

Does it matter if the insulated ground wire of the JSSG is inside or outside of the shield?  I thought I would kill one bird with many stones and use a solid strand wire as both the wire soldered to the shield and also to hold the starquad twist of the multistrand conductors during construction...i.e., by wrapping the insulated ground wire around the twist.

Also, wondered if the JSSG and/or JSGT are relevant to battery supplies?

Thanks as always.

12 hours ago, BigGuy said:

Thanks for the sanity check, John.  Read some of the USB spec til my eyes glazed over.  As confirmation, heard from one USB cable fabricator that he is no longer producing them due to the complexity.  Obviously it is more than just connecting 4 wires to the USB connectors!  Begs the question as to how many available cables actually meet the 90ohms, etc. of the spec!?

Don´t let sanity let you down or spoil the fun! ;) My ATL starquad USB cable beats the USPCB in my setup between Aries Mini and ISO Regen. If I would have listen to pure sanity I would have missed a good chunk of the fun. The experimenting bit is 50% or more of the fun for me though. Win or loose.

🎛️  Audio System  

12 hours ago, BigGuy said:

Also, wondered if the JSSG and/or JSGT are relevant to battery supplies?

I have tried it on a TP-Link Vivid powerbank feeding the Spdif GI output of my BluWave USB to Spdif bord (Board powered by IR) with great results. If this is due to the same reasons or not I do not know, but it definately made a noticable difference for the better when I tried. Now the same spot is powered by Gophert csp-3205II>HDPULN (3A/LT3045)>HDPULN (3A/LT3045)>LPS-1.2 that clearly sounds better than the TP-Link Vivid with JSGT.

🎛️  Audio System  

8 hours ago, Cornan said:

Don´t let sanity let you down or spoil the fun! ;) My ATL starquad USB cable beats the USPCB in my setup between Aries Mini and ISO Regen. If I would have listen to pure sanity I would have missed a good chunk of the fun. The experimenting bit is 50% or more of the fun for me though. Win or loose.

Sanity is intact and still having fun but I would hate to spend time fabricating a DIY USB when only by chance would it meet specs.  Plus I do not have a bottomless wallet to support mission quests without at least some basic knowledge.  I'll stick to DC cables and speaker cables for now. 

7 hours ago, Cornan said:

I have tried it on a TP-Link Vivid powerbank feeding the Spdif GI output of my BluWave USB to Spdif bord (Board powered by IR) with great results. If this is due to the same reasons or not I do not know, but it definately made a noticable difference for the better when I tried. Now the same spot is powered by Gophert csp-3205II>HDPULN (3A/LT3045)>HDPULN (3A/LT3045)>LPS-1.2 that clearly sounds better than the TP-Link Vivid with JSGT.

I have a custom built 12v battery supply powering my 2 pairs of Harmonic Technologies "Photon" interconnects.  Based on positive reports on using starquad configuration, I have braided the four conductors of each pair of DC cables into a starquad.  My thought was to shield each quad with a JSSG but use a solid insulated ground wire to also secure the braid of the bundle.  Hence my question re acceptability of having qround wire between the braided shield and the conductor starquad.

IF JSGT is an added enhancement, my plan would be to create a 4-head "hydra" with each being a "home run" to the AC connector rather than having a 5-wire connection closer to the DC plugs and only one wire to the AC plug., if that makes sense.

56 minutes ago, BigGuy said:

Sanity is intact and still having fun but I would hate to spend time fabricating a DIY USB when only by chance would it meet specs.  Plus I do not have a bottomless wallet to support mission quests without at least some basic knowledge.  I'll stick to DC cables and speaker cables for now. 

I have a custom built 12v battery supply powering my 2 pairs of Harmonic Technologies "Photon" interconnects.  Based on positive reports on using starquad configuration, I have braided the four conductors of each pair of DC cables into a starquad.  My thought was to shield each quad with a JSSG but use a solid insulated ground wire to also secure the braid of the bundle.  Hence my question re acceptability of having qround wire between the braided shield and the conductor starquad.

IF JSGT is an added enhancement, my plan would be to create a 4-head "hydra" with each being a "home run" to the AC connector rather than having a 5-wire connection closer to the DC plugs and only one wire to the AC plug., if that makes sense.

Fair enough, but in any case which ever USB cable you will DIY you will have difficulties to biuld them according to specs unless you have equipment to measure it. IME the impedance match is not the most crucial thing for SQ with USB.

It is possible to make a JSSG with shielded wires in the way that you describe. However, it is slightly better to have the JSSG as close as possible to the surface of the cable. Remember that a JSSG protects the cable from the harsh inviroment in the outside world, not to the things that are going on inside the cable. The latter is the work of the starquad. 

If you want to make a JSGT hydra I would think it is safe to say that you could just as well add as many wires as you can fit. You’ll never know when you’ll need them in the future. IME 28awg silver plated wires is great...and they are cheap as well. One more point though. A JSGT could possibly transport high impedance noise to other equipments as well if the safety ground is isolated with a floating IT. That’s atleast my personal assumption since JSGT is never beneficial when connected post my IT. Only pre. My JSGTs is all connected to grounding boxes where they are most effective in my setup.

🎛️  Audio System  

On 4/19/2018 at 11:40 AM, Cornan said:

Fair enough, but in any case which ever USB cable you will DIY you will have difficulties to biuld them according to specs unless you have equipment to measure it. IME the impedance match is not the most crucial thing for SQ with USB.

It is possible to make a JSSG with shielded wires in the way that you describe. However, it is slightly better to have the JSSG as close as possible to the surface of the cable. Remember that a JSSG protects the cable from the harsh inviroment in the outside world, not to the things that are going on inside the cable. The latter is the work of the starquad. 

If you want to make a JSGT hydra I would think it is safe to say that you could just as well add as many wires as you can fit. You’ll never know when you’ll need them in the future. IME 28awg silver plated wires is great...and they are cheap as well. One more point though. A JSGT could possibly transport high impedance noise to other equipments as well if the safety ground is isolated with a floating IT. That’s atleast my personal assumption since JSGT is never beneficial when connected post my IT. Only pre. My JSGTs is all connected to grounding boxes where they are most effective in my setup.

All good points.  Thanks, Cornan. 

Bought a quantity of 5.5/2.1 mm barrel connectors for constructing JSGTs.  Has anyone found a good way to improve tightness of fit between female and male connectors?  Apparently size DOES matter!  ;-)

Hope your trip to China is both prcductive and safe.

5 hours ago, BigGuy said:

All good points.  Thanks, Cornan. 

Bought a quantity of 5.5/2.1 mm barrel connectors for constructing JSGTs.  Has anyone found a good way to improve tightness of fit between female and male connectors?  Apparently size DOES matter!  ;-)

Hope your trip to China is both prcductive and safe.

Size does indeed matter !

I had heaps of problems with 5.5/2.1 plugs and sockets from ebay in the reliability area.

I then replaced them with similar from Altronics in Sydney, but the same problems with movement of the cable are now happening again.

I have now ordered a couple of pairs of mini 3 pin XLR plugs and sockets to replace the PSU end of my cable to the USB Regen.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Construction question...

Have a DC supply powered by batteries.  There are 4 DC power cables coming of the supply...all supplied by the same +/- taps so same voltage on each.

I created a 4-headed JSGT with screw terminal CCTV connectors...one for each lead.  All four barrel assemblies have "home runs" to a 3 pin AC plug which shares the other outlet of duplex into which the power supply is plugged.

Unless I crossed polarities somewhere (which I will recheck) is there any reason why this approach would present a problem?

Reason being that with the hydra installed on my powered interconnects I do not sound from my system?!

1 hour ago, BigGuy said:

Construction question...

Have a DC supply powered by batteries.  There are 4 DC power cables coming of the supply...all supplied by the same +/- taps so same voltage on each.

I created a 4-headed JSGT with screw terminal CCTV connectors...one for each lead.  All four barrel assemblies have "home runs" to a 3 pin AC plug which shares the other outlet of duplex into which the power supply is plugged.

Unless I crossed polarities somewhere (which I will recheck) is there any reason why this approach would present a problem?

Reason being that with the hydra installed on my powered interconnects I do not sound from my system?!

If you did’nt wire all the JSGTs to 0v there would probably be a PFFT! and probably followed by a little smoke. I suppose you have checked the DC supply and battery that they are still working so I’ll guess that the battery have too much load or that you have created a ground loop with your hydra? JSGT is only a good idea for PSU powering network devices IME. It could possibly give you worse SQ as well. Anyway, always best to share pictures to esier spot the problem. I cross my fingers you got all the wires right! 

🎛️  Audio System  

6 hours ago, BigGuy said:

I created a 4-headed JSGT with screw terminal CCTV connectors...one for each lead.  All four barrel assemblies have "home runs" to a 3 pin AC plug which shares the other outlet of duplex into which the power supply is plugged

You have low voltage DC using the same type of connectors as line voltage AC?

There are special rules about having other types of cables in AC line voltage outlet or junction boxes.

22 hours ago, Speedskater said:

You have low voltage DC using the same type of connectors as line voltage AC?

There are special rules about having other types of cables in AC line voltage outlet or junction boxes.

Unless I misunderstood the construction of the JSGT, I have jumpered male and female CCTV screw terminal connectors plus-plus

and minus-minus with one end of a wire connected to the minus terminals of the CCTV and the other to the GND pin of a 3-prong AC plug which is then connected to the same duplex as the power supply.

Am I not correct?

To Cornan's point, I did not let any smoke or flames get out of the power supply.  :-D

I am subscribed to a number of CA threads but have not received any notifications in days?!

I know that this thread is fairly quiet but I also subscribe to..."A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming" and yet have not gotten any notifications since I last posted on 04/28 tho' the posters are quite prolific!

Anyone else having this issue?

4 hours ago, BigGuy said:

Unless I misunderstood the construction of the JSGT, I have jumpered male and female CCTV screw terminal connectors plus-plus

and minus-minus with one end of a wire connected to the minus terminals of the CCTV and the other to the GND pin of a 3-prong AC plug which is then connected to the same duplex as the power supply.

Am I not correct?

To Cornan's point, I did not let any smoke or flames get out of the power supply.  :-D

Yes, that's it. You may also have a grounding point on one of your boxes and could use that. I have one on my balanced power transformer and ac distribution box so use that instead of an AC plug.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

15 hours ago, lmitche said:

Yes, that's it. You may also have a grounding point on one of your boxes and could use that. I have one on my balanced power transformer and ac distribution box so use that instead of an AC plug.

Thanks.  Thought I had missed something.

Need to reject the screw terminal CCTV connectors but may have one that is shorted internally.  :-(

16 hours ago, Speedskater said:

Do you have a link that shows:

I have jumpered male and female CCTV screw terminal connectors

DC supply common is normally only connected to the chassis of the unit that they are powering. And then only at one point.

Male and female CCTV connectors are jumpered plus-to-plus and minus-to-minus with a GND wire connected to one of the minuses with the other end going to GND pin of 3-prong AC plug = JSGT

Rechecked my JSGT 4-headed hydra today...both the individual connectors and the JSGT assemblies.  I found a number of CCTV connectors, both male and female, that did not have continuity from plus-to-plus or minus-to-minus.  I am pretty sure that they were OK before putting shrink tubing on the junction of the male to female assemblies.

Not sure about the internal construction but is it possible that heating the shrink compromised the internals of the CCTV connector?

I will split open 1 or 2 of the connectors which failed to see what the guts look like.

37 minutes ago, BigGuy said:

Rechecked my JSGT 4-headed hydra today...both the individual connectors and the JSGT assemblies.  I found a number of CCTV connectors, both male and female, that did not have continuity from plus-to-plus or minus-to-minus.  I am pretty sure that they were OK before putting shrink tubing on the junction of the male to female assemblies.

Not sure about the internal construction but is it possible that heating the shrink compromised the internals of the CCTV connector?

I will split open 1 or 2 of the connectors which failed to see what the guts look like.

I have had some that were flaky. Some came in a darker color green. Beware of those.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

23 hours ago, lmitche said:

I have had some that were flaky. Some came in a darker color green. Beware of those.

Thanks.  Will keep eye out since I just ordered 10 more pairs and WILL be checking for continuity on all before anything else.

On 5/1/2018 at 10:17 AM, BigGuy said:

Need to reject the screw terminal CCTV connectors but may have one that is shorted internally.  :-(

Male and female CCTV connectors are jumpered plus-to-plus and minus-to-minus with a GND wire connected to one of the minuses with the other end going to GND pin of 3-prong AC plug = JSGT

Good engineering practice would suggest that:

a low voltage DC supply common be connected at a single point and that point would be the chassis of the unit that it is powering.

18 hours ago, BigGuy said:

Inquiring minds needed to know what was inside the screw terminal CCTV barrel connectors we have been using for various projects so I split one open.  Rather than just attaching the pins of the screw terminal directly to the barrel contacts, there are actually connected with what I mic'd as 30 AWG (0.25mm) copper wire.   Knowing this, connecting male to female barrels with 16 or 18 AWG wire is "feel good" stuff but little relatively speaking.

What we need is for someone to come up with a more elegant and electronically robust male to female adapter for JSGT, etc.

A little (OK, a lot) overkill but need to find a female connector comparable to Oyaide male connector.

Not sure what path forward is for me but I may send back the screw terminal connectors I just received.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing...

CCTV Autopsy 180508.jpg

According to <https://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm>  the maximum amps for chassis wiring is 0.86A, even less for power transmission.

Ordered these

<https://www.amazon.com/FolioGadgets-Connector-Female-Socket-Adapter/dp/B076LWT28S/ref=pd_day0_23_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B076LWT28S&pd_rd_r=6N0BJ18YJNWZGGHDAFXQ&pd_rd_w=kdrUG&pd_rd_wg=ynZjD&psc=1&refRID=6N0BJ18YJNWZGGHDAFXQ>

which hopefully accept reasonable AWG even if stress relief needs to be removed.  Maybe they will lend themselves to direct soldering of the terminals?!