IGNORED

DIY DC power cables

23 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

I think option 5 and add JSSG 360 😀

The Gotham cable may be an alternative. 

Thank you for your reply :).

i think you're right, canare 4s6 would be too tick for usb connector.

jssg is that particular way to shield cables?

2 hours ago, sbronf said:

jssg is that particular way to shield cables?

JSSG360 is a way to create a Faraday Cage. So you add an extra sleeve of shielding  and join that en the ends with the original shield.

Normally, you shouldn’t connect the shield to any other earth or zero point. 

However I’m not into the USB specifications, but I suppose if you only do the JSSG360 for power, I would expect you to be good. 

@Cornan

Mayby you can add something here, as I think you have played a lot with separate USB power?

23 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

JSSG360 is a way to create a Faraday Cage. So you add an extra sleeve of shielding  and join that en the ends with the original shield.

Normally, you shouldn’t connect the shield to any other earth or zero point. 

However I’m not into the USB specifications, but I suppose if you only do the JSSG360 for power, I would expect you to be good. 

@Cornan

Mayby you can add something here, as I think you have played a lot with separate USB power?

My preferred USB cable is a 8 wire star quad with two JSSG. One JSSG for the 5v+GND (4wires) and one JSSG for the data + & data - (4 wires). Of course it is probably a good idea to try the same idea with JSSG360, but since I haven’t tried it myself it is difficult to know for sure.

Please note that this is a recommendation for a DAC that requires a both 5v & GND as my Brooklyn DAC. With a DAC that doesn't require 5v and/or GND there is other options.

🎛️  Audio System  

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 2:02 AM, Cornan said:

My preferred USB cable is a 8 wire star quad with two JSSG. One JSSG for the 5v+GND (4wires) and one JSSG for the data + & data - (4 wires). Of course it is probably a good idea to try the same idea with JSSG360, but since I haven’t tried it myself it is difficult to know for sure.

Please note that this is a recommendation for a DAC that requires a both 5v & GND as my Brooklyn DAC. With a DAC that doesn't require 5v and/or GND there is other options.

Your cable is highly unlikely to come even close to meeting the USB Impedance specifications.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I've trawled through all the posts here and in the "novel way" post and still cannot find many comments comparing the various DC cables available at Ghent Audio or elsewhere.

I am currently using a Sonore DC 4 between an Uptone LPS 1.2 and an ISO Regen and would like a a warmer and fuller presentation. Am willing to sacrifice some treble detail.

The options are from Ghent (JSSG 360):

Gotham GAC 4 - star quad

Neotech UPOCC 7N copper - solid core

Canare - star quad

Elsewhere (non JSSG 360):

Zenwave Audio UPOCC 7N copper from Neotech - solid core

VH Audio V Quad 21 Cu - star quad

What are essentially the sonic differences between star quad and solid core and which of the above cables give a warmer and fuller presentation with less treble hardness and sibilance?

Thanks again

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/14/2019 at 3:04 AM, mikey8811 said:

Hi

I've trawled through all the posts here and in the "novel way" post and still cannot find many comments comparing the various DC cables available at Ghent Audio or elsewhere.

I am currently using a Sonore DC 4 between an Uptone LPS 1.2 and an ISO Regen and would like a a warmer and fuller presentation. Am willing to sacrifice some treble detail.

The options are from Ghent (JSSG 360):

Gotham GAC 4 - star quad

Neotech UPOCC 7N copper - solid core

Canare - star quad

Elsewhere (non JSSG 360):

Zenwave Audio UPOCC 7N copper from Neotech - solid core

VH Audio V Quad 21 Cu - star quad

What are essentially the sonic differences between star quad and solid core and which of the above cables give a warmer and fuller presentation with less treble hardness and sibilance?

Thanks again

Ditto for me. Can anyone advise the "best sounding" DC cable that gives a warmer, fuller, presentation? Thanks.

1 hour ago, ken6217 said:

Ditto for me. Can anyone advise the "best sounding" DC cable that gives a warmer, fuller, presentation? Thanks.

No one can do that, really, that's just not a thing.

Even if they had the exact same set of partnering equipment you do, it would still be a subjective evaluation.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

1 minute ago, ken6217 said:

Gnats a pretty uninformed statement. 

It's not, but I meant no harm, it's just reality.

In terms of an informed statement (or not), I've both made my own DC cables using gray jacketed Canare 4S6 and Oyaide DC-2.1G plugs, and also bought both the Ghent JSSG version and Ghent 4S6G (OFC) JSSG360 version as well.

I've even got a length of the Gotham star quad wire on hand, though I've yet to actually decide on what to actually do with it.

So I have several points of comparison, but I'd never offer someone else concrete advice on how that would sound in their particular system because I don't have that same system, nor their same ears, and there are no absolutes in terms of perceived sound quality that apply across the board with regard to DC cables.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

Not really after concrete advice, and of course ‘your mileage may vary’ I think everyone in this topic understands the different synergies of different systems and it’s all subjective and influenced by local environmental differences etc, but your opinions and experience would at the very least be interesting, and give others guidance into areas to explore for themselves. 

And sometimes patterns do emerge which transgress systems and subjective tastes. 

Loves to hear your impressions, even if vague, or uncertain.

I totally agree with @MikeyFresh. It is almost impossible to give the advices that @mikey8811 was looking for. No one have compared all these DC cables. Even if someone did it might not suit your specific system. It is rather a trial an error to find out yourself. Something that will change over time when your setup is more optimized as well.

There are certain things to consider with metals though. In general higher silver content will give you a brighter sound. Higher copper or gold content a warmer sound. Personally I prefer silver plated copper as an all-rounder, which sort of gives a mix of both worlds. Optimal is to use pure silver on - and gold plated silver on + in my book.

IME JSSG gives a more full and transparent sound, but IMO the optimal way is to use short length wires (<10cm) with pure silver for - and gold plated silver for +. JSSG only if the length needs to be longer than 5-10cm. My advice for best SQ is trying to find ways to shorten the distances of any external wire. 

This is just my 10 c. Others will probably disagree! 😁

🎛️  Audio System  

18 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

buy a tube pre-amp 

I already use a tube preamp.

I am not looking for a definitive or superlative answer.

I think relative comparisons even in the light of different setups are informative. At least the other posters who are after a warm and fuller sounding presentation too think so, well enough to ask anyway.

After all, i think we are all in agreement that "tube pre-amp"'s impart warmth and fullness, regardless of system specifics ;)

I do apologise if my simplistic question has irked anyone.

20 hours ago, mikey8811 said:

After all, i think we are all in agreement that "tube pre-amp"'s impart warmth and fullness, regardless of system specifics ;)

I don’t 😛

Both my RWA Signature 15 (6922 preamp section) and Don Garber 6922 pre + 2A3 power amp are perfectly neutral whilst my First Watt J2 is definitely warm, almost sweaty (with Don Garber’s 6922  as pre) and becomes neutral again with a Metrum Adagio as pre

“Tubes do sound warm” is nothing else than a commonplace: it actually depends on circuit topology, tubes themselves and sinergy among parts of the whole chain ;)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

• 2 weeks later...

/& what’s the best of the Gotham ethernet cables, in preparation for the Eregen ...?

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

• 4 weeks later...

Here is my feedback on using a Ghent Gotham JSSG360 on my UltraRendu compared to the Canare. The Ghent Gotham has more liquid midrange and bigger bass than the Canare. The bass is a bit bloomy but overall not unpleasant. However there is a narrow band in the lower treble where the Gotham is forced and accentuated and a bit metallic!?  Swapping the Canare back has a much more even clean midrange and treble, but definitely rolls off the bass in comparison. 

When the music doesn’t hit that frequency range the Gotham is a clear winner. But when the music has a lot of content in that frequency band i find the Gotham unlistenable. Of course system dependence and of course YMMV.

So does anyone have opinions on the other Ghent JSSG360 options, especially the Neotech Copper versions, including the 16awg solid core version and the 18awg stranded version?

Any comparison to the Gotham and the Canare would be appreciated as well.

I have 4 spare 50cm long each audioquest spiraled hyperlitz sterling speaker jumper cables unused.

I was wondering if they could be reterminated with DC connectors ? What do you think? What would be the smarter way to do this given its structure? and size: 10awg in total and a mix of 6 x 17awg wires 4x 19 awg wires 4 x21 awg wires all solid core. 21 and 19 awg wires are silver. 17awg wires are copper. All the blacks will be the --- and the others the +. Each polarity has a total awg of 13.or equivalent 2,62 mm2

can oyaide connectors accept this? Obviously not a starquad but may be worth a try?

sterling_c.jpg

16 minutes ago, Ricardo007 said:

can oyaide connectors accept this? Obviously not a starquad but may be worth a try?

No way will you get that giant wire into an Oyaide DC barrel plug!

(Current--really small--production model is lower-left; I pay Oyaide extra every couple of years to make 1,000 pieces of the original style just so we can squeeze in our 4x18awg Belden star-quad wire.)

1024988156_OyaideDCplugoldandnew.jpg.6369c70926572ff57b0c5b2f9f2501d2.jpg

Besides, inductance-lowering star-quad is the most important factor to making a worthwhile DC cable.

You can use heat shrink and leave the barrels off. I did that with some very short pieces of solid 12g Neotech hook up wire, separated by air. Don't look like much but sound great. Don't forget to use a small piece of shrink over the live solder joint and any exposed live wire so if any bending it won't short the neutral. Then a big piece that snugs the screw part of the plug with the cable. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2019 at 3:58 PM, Matias said:

I would like to thank @Superdad for the tip of buying Ghent Audio DC power cable made with Gotham cable below. I am using it between my LPS-1.2 and ultraRendu. Before I was using Ghent DC cable made of Canare starquad cable and same Oyaide connectors.

Bass lines immediately stand out more, stronger and cleaner. Sound is overall a tiny little more natural, less agressive. A nice upgrade for the 72usd they charge for the 30cm length. :)

http://www.ghentaudio.com/part/dc-gac4.html

I bought a second unit of the Ghent Gotham DC to replace the regular Ghent Canare DC between my ISO Regen + LPS-1 after the ultraRendu + LPS-1.2.

I was expecting more of the same I noticed above, but the effect was quite different: more defined decays and textures, slightly higher resolution and a little more natural. No major shift in tonality. Interesting. :)

I suppose the ISO Regen is not so sensitive to the lower impedance of the Gotham cable and more sensitive to its better shielding and distortion I guess.

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

If you have a chance to try the Mundorf Silver/Gold 15.5 AWG in teflon, I highly recommend it. It's thick and expensive but works really well on short DC cables (0.5m or less). I would not recommend it for longer cables. Star Quad geometry would probably work better on longer cables. 

https://www.partsconnexion.com/MUNDORF-72180.html

Twist the two wires together, apply JSSG360 shielding, and you would be up for a treat. I've used it with GX16-2 pin connectors and the Jaeger connectors on the upgraded SR7. Not sure if it would be easy to use on the Oyaide DC barrel plug, but I can try if someone really likes to know. Maybe you can get Ghent to do it for you if you can't. It takes longer time to break in, but once it does it sounds really good in my system. Better then the Neotech 7N, VHAudio StarQuad, etc... 

Industry disclosure: 

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Aries Cerat, Audio Mirror, Sean Jacobs

https://chicagohifi.com