IGNORED

DIY DC power cables

38 minutes ago, elan120 said:

Elec connectors and Canare 46S do work together nicely.

We know. We like to test 8 single wires from that cable, in order to verify if a Y-split is doable.

Heat shrink tube over the plug. 

Well done man!  Wanna do mine???  I am going to try and shove a 4S8 cable into that Oyaide connector.  I wont it make any difference over a 4S6 but thats what being an audiophile is all about right???

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

I think Ghent can do 90 degrees for those who ask. I did not knew Oyaide offered this version. 

Well that is welcome news.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

58 minutes ago, Middy said:

That symbol comes up as Yuan not Yen on google... $98 dollars !!@@??&

Just checked they both use the ¥ symbol ??

Yes Japanese Yen and Chinese Yuan use the same symbol.  Actually the languages share 1000's of symbols but that's another story.  You can Google "1 JPY to USD" and "1 CNY to USD" for the exchange rates.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Hi guys:

I'm eating lunch and just catching up on this thread from before my vacation.  Fun stuff. 

A few of you were asking about fitting the USPCB A>B adapter and DC plugs in between say the Intona or a microRendu and REGEN.  Although the 90-degree rotated 'B' plug version of the USPCB was created for the critical link between REGEN and DAC--and to help with clearances from other DAC-back-panel cables--it will help in the applications you ask about, even if the set up is not pretty.  Here are some quick pics:

P1090004.thumb.jpg.3d44ee39d5f231b11f0386946ff9f859.jpgP1090005.thumb.jpg.9bf455c537306083af156cb54b2cd1b0.jpgP1090009.thumb.jpg.239a6a510772945985af454af3085813.jpgP1090014.thumb.jpg.a4a65d5cac637eba69023422cac2d980.jpg

That last one is showing that when plugged into USB jacks, the USPCB results in a 45mm distance between the panels of the devices.

That length is of course the same for the USPCB version with standard rotation of the 'B' plug.

Hope that helps.

--Alex C.

On 5/9/2017 at 1:14 PM, R1200CL said:
The 2.1 to 2.5G cable is here: 

Gents:

This is a DIY thread in our sponsored forum area.  I would prefer that other finished products not be promoted here.  I recognize that UpTone has left a void in this space, but as I have said publicly--and in a private e-mail to you this past Monday Andreas--I have invested heavily in having 1,000 of the original Oyaide plugs made for us (they arrive tomorrow in fact) and plan to offer a 50cm (to start) DC cable with 5.5mm x 2.1mm both ends (18awg x 4 star-quad).

That said, I am happy to see Michael from Elijah Audio here as he brings knowledge, advice, and good spirit.

Thanks,

--Alex C.

P.S.  As far as 'Y' cables go, I still think DIY using the screw-terminal DC barrels is about the best and easiest way to go.  Allows you to use just about any wire, and for the bottom of the 'Y' where you need 4 conductors going into each terminal, these things will take a 14awg wire--that's equivalent to four 20awg wires.  (Strip, twist all together, and lightly tin before attempting that.) 9_9

51 minutes ago, Superdad said:

A few of you were asking about fitting the USPCB A>B adapter and DC plugs in between say the Intona or a microRendu and REGEN.

Welcome back Alex.  Hope you enjoyed your vacation.

Two questions...

1.  I asked previously if using the USPCB on the upstream side had any benefits and I believe either you or John said it would not?

2.  The power inlet for the IsoRegen is on the upstream side correct?  

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

7 hours ago, tboooe said:

Welcome back Alex.  Hope you enjoyed your vacation.

Two questions...

1.  I asked previously if using the USPCB on the upstream side had any benefits and I believe either you or John said it would not?

2.  The power inlet for the IsoRegen is on the upstream side correct?  

Hi Tommy:

Yes vacation was lovely, thanks.  Going to need another one soon. O.o

1.  To the extent that USB cables from the computer still make some difference (to a REGEN's PHY or to any other device), then sure, a USPCB on the upstream side can be beneficial.  Everyone can think of the USPCB as the best possible USB cable--only it's not a cable and it's really short!  Perfect 90 ohms impedance, 4-layer board with proper shielding, and laughable $35 price. :D

2. Yes, as with the original USB REGEN, the DC jack and the input jack are on the same end of the case.  

13 hours ago, Superdad said:

P.S.  As far as 'Y' cables go, I still think DIY using the screw-terminal DC barrels is about the best and easiest way to go.  Allows you to use just about any wire, and for the bottom of the 'Y' where you need 4 conductors going into each terminal, these things will take a 14awg wire--that's equivalent to four 20awg wires.  (Strip, twist all together, and lightly tin before attempting that.) 9_9

oh!  I didn't tin before I inserted into the terminals.  Are there set rules Alex as to when you tin before inserting into a connector, and when not?

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

@JohnSwenson

I know it's shakey ground advising on AC especially on DIY....

Do the DC quad rules apply for the AC side.... Note do not use canare......?

I found some 5 wire 1.5mm ..16awg 

cable Steel braid double clear sleeving.

The 5th wire  exactly as the earth.

But use the 2 pair as the same method as the DC cable.

These will be manufactured parallel not twist but I believe some  medium heating below 100 Oc then mechanical twist and cool to help keep the spiral could work.

Opposite paired live neutral basic geometry but would the 5th earth wire disrupt this?

You don't have to answer all my ramblings but your basic thoughts would be great fully received on AC.

This as a cheap one stop shop and keeping within regs I think...

Doesn't have to be shielded braid, just this does for illustration purposes.

Thanks as always for helping us all

Kind regards

Dave☺

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201640606005

2017-05-11 20.22.53.png

5 hours ago, Forehaven said:

oh!  I didn't tin before I inserted into the terminals.  Are there set rules Alex as to when you tin before inserting into a connector, and when not?

Well tinning is nice for bare copper wire as copper-oxide does not conduct (not sure if tin-oxide does or not; I know silver oxide does conduct), but the main reason I suggested tinning is that it will be nearly impossible to shove a maxed-out cluster of wire into the screw terminal openings without having a bunch of strands getting caught and hanging out.  I can stick an untinned single 18AWG in with no problem, but I any bigger (from twisting 2+ conductors together) and one is asking for a mess. :o

1 hour ago, Middy said:

@JohnSwenson

I know it's shakey ground advising on AC especially on DIY....

Do the DC quad rules apply for the AC side.... Note do not use canare......?

I found some 5 wire 1.5mm ..16awg 

cable Steel braid double clear sleeving.

The 5th wire  exactly as the earth.

But use the 2 pair as the same method as the DC cable.

These will be manufactured parallel not twist but I believe some  medium heating below 100 Oc then mechanical twist and cool to help keep the spiral could work.

Opposite paired live neutral basic geometry but would the 5th earth wire disrupt this?

You don't have to answer all my ramblings but your basic thoughts would be great fully received on AC.

This as a cheap one stop shop and keeping within regs I think...

Doesn't have to be shielded braid, just this does for illustration purposes.

Thanks as always for helping us all

Kind regards

Dave☺

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201640606005

2017-05-11 20.22.53.png

Starquad will do the same thing with AC power cable, significant decrease in inductance and built in shielding from DC on up.

That cable you show will not get the starquad right, you need 4 wires which form a perfect square in cress section. This cable will not do that.

John S.

There are safety issues when working with AC power line systems. All the pieces and parts used , must be safety rated for the intended purpose and the person doing the work needs to have the necessary skill & knowledge to do the job safely.

I see that John S. replayed while I was typing.

Thanks @Speedskater Safety always....

This is why I thought of this cable pre made with a fixed earth but the ability to have to opposite pairs. 5 wires

But  @JohnSwensonthanks John?. Not a regulations solution having an independent earth and having quad two pairs matching your amp requirements.

No loose earth wire allowed...

Sorry for any unintentional pressure Or dangerous advice. Was interested to see if was a viable option off the shelf and safe..

Thank you gents.. much appreciated.