IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

Why is it , that since MQA is supposed to use  the master to make this new MQA product that MQA fails to provide which master was used ?

Was it the original master, was it from tape, LP, CD, Hi-rez and which format etc...  Whats the harm of letting the customer know ?

The Truth Is Out There

1 minute ago, synn said:

So, the 2L files are still the only source for comparing MQA, 192khz, DSD and DXD, correct?

Sometimes it's possible to find the matching master for MQA tracks on Tidal, but it's a lot of work. The 2L samples are all in one place, which makes them convenient. Unfortunately, the music styles covered are rather limited.

Just now, synn said:

So, the 2L files are still the only source for comparing MQA, 192khz, DSD and DXD, correct?

Just an aside here ... still on the basic topic of codecs.   Comparing all these files (above) is the game some people play to feel like they are in the process of creation. Yet that is not the case.   It's off topic.

1. There is the master file in the mastering session.  The master.

2. There is the released master (may or may not be the same files)

3. There are profit motivated other options released often with the lie that they are better, at higher sample rates..

4. Folks get invested in the AB of these NON MASTER files for sport.  This is simply a case of being USED to make money for others.

Higher sample rates DO NOT equal a better sound, a more accurate sound, a more faithful to the source or more respectful to the artists, etc, sound.

Reality check please.

I found this section of the fairhedon interview especially interesting:

It’s definitely a lossy codec, that was clear. And like Mastered for iTunes or any reduction scheme the losses are in critically important areas.    Where as mastered for iTunes is harmonically cold and loses some low volume/low end information, actually altering the groove to make everything sound like a nerdy white wedding band, MQA brightens the high-mids in the Mid section while thinning the low-mids on the Sides. There’s also some harmonic distortion which some people could find pleasing,  If I want that distortion in the master I would’ve put it there in the first place. The results of MQA I would call fatal to the source material even as they are very subtle.

So, even if we accept that MQA comparisons have used the same master (a dubious assumption), this might explains some people's preference for MQA . . . and it doesn't reflect well on their tastes!

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

15 minutes ago, Brian Lucey said:

Yes I use class A push pull tube amps to assess everything, they are modified Cary 211 FE ... w Bricasti M1 SE DA  ....Sonics Allegra speakers in a special room.  Router (pre amps) is a Class A Crane Song Avocet.

Thanks. Any tube amp has a fair amount of euphonic harmonic distortion of its own. Doesn't that make it difficult  to assess euphonics and harmonic distortion of MQA? How would you characterize this distortion in MQA soundwise?

1 hour ago, Brian Lucey said:

Myth alert!   All amps have distortion, all life is distortion, all rooms have distortion.   My work speaks for itself.  And I hate the sound of Class D.

OK, but tube amps tend to distort (much) more than solid state amps. I have a tube preamp and I can clearly discern the added 'tube sound'. But as yet I can't hear any characteristic added distortion in MQA. I hear differences between redbook and MQA, but IMHO that's fully the result of the use of a different master in MQA (usually, IME, a relatively low DR version is used but apparently not always). Can you describe how this distortion in MQA sounds? 

MQA is still making very little buzz over here in Europe. No one i know is talking about it and the Hi-Fi shops are still putting good old stuff in the forefront.

i was in the market for a network streamer a little while ago and I emailed Onkyo/ Pioneer Europe if they have any plans to offer MQA deciding in their current range of network players. The answer I got was that they currently have no plans. That’s interesting because they are both fully paid up members. So far, all that they have offered are rebranded versions of a portable player.

Either the PMPs are about “Testing the waters” to see if MQA sticks or they are planning to release “All new” versions of the network streamers with MQA.

26 minutes ago, synn said:

MQA is still making very little buzz over here in Europe. No one i know is talking about it and the Hi-Fi shops are still putting good old stuff in the forefront.

What country do you live in? MQA is trying to establish a European "beachhead" in the Netherlands, but I don't think they are making very much progress.

i was in the market for a network streamer a little while ago and I emailed Onkyo/ Pioneer Europe if they have any plans to offer MQA deciding in their current range of network players. The answer I got was that they currently have no plans. That’s interesting because they are both fully paid up members. So far, all that they have offered are rebranded versions of a portable player.

I am unaware of either Pioneer or Onkyo making rebranded anythings. Can you please specify the model of portable player  Pioneer/Onkyo is selling in Europe, and who the actual OEM manufacturer is?

Either the PMPs are about “Testing the waters” to see if MQA sticks or they are planning to release “All new” versions of the network streamers with MQA.

Another reason I dislike the internet. I couldn't for the life of me figure out what "PMP" stood for. I even looked on an internet slang dictionary and found "Peed My Pants", "Practice Makes Perfect", "Poor Man's Pizza", and "Poor Man's Porsche". It wasn't until I was typing the above paragraph that I realized you meant "Portable Music Player". As I've said before, I'm not particularly quick-witted, but usually figure out things when given enough time.

EDIT: PS - No, they are not planning to release "All new" versions. They are only "testing the waters". Just look at when DVD was first released. All of the movie studios (more then than now, due to US government relaxation of anti-monopoly policies) released titles to "test the waters". Pretty much every release made lots of money, so within a few years there were tens of thousands of titles.  Contrast this to any other failed format, such as DVD-Audio, SACD, or MQA. All of the big companies that are driven solely by profit (eg, public and greedy private) stopped. The only companies making SACDs are tiny private ones, serving a niche market, and dedicated to quality over profit.

Charles Hansen

Dumb Analog Hardware Engineer
Former Transducer Designer

Haha apologies for the acronym!

what I meant by rebranded is that Pioneer’s hifi business is owned by Onkyo now, so they are selling the same device with their respective brand names and slightly different designs.

i am in Germany, no MQA waves here so far.

4 hours ago, Brian Lucey said:

Just an aside here ... still on the basic topic of codecs.   Comparing all these files (above) is the game some people play to feel like they are in the process of creation. Yet that is not the case.   It's off topic.

1. There is the master file in the mastering session.  The master.

2. There is the released master (may or may not be the same files)

3. There are profit motivated other options released often with the lie that they are better, at higher sample rates..

4. Folks get invested in the AB of these NON MASTER files for sport.  This is simply a case of being USED to make money for others.

Higher sample rates DO NOT equal a better sound, a more accurate sound, a more faithful to the source or more respectful to the artists, etc, sound.

Reality check please.

Boom.

7 minutes ago, synn said:

what I meant by rebranded is that Pioneer’s hifi business is owned by Onkyo now, so they are selling the same device with their respective brand names and slightly different designs.

Thanks for clarifying - that makes perfect sense, given the current situation.

10 minutes ago, synn said:

i am in Germany, no MQA waves here so far.

Very interesting information, given that:

1) Germany is the largest market for almost everything (including audio) in Europe.

2) Not too long ago, Digital Audio Review relocated from Australia to Berlin, and that website has also been promoting MQA (although still in the English language. (www.digitalaudioreview.net).

Charles Hansen

Dumb Analog Hardware Engineer
Former Transducer Designer