IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

3 minutes ago, esldude said:

Amen to that.  I too don't want the AVR effect.  Some have so many logos to display they use up the entire box they come in to show them.  

Funny, they are not the logo of sponsors but those licence fee collectors.  It makes you feel the AVR should worth more.  LOL!

MetalNuts

7 hours ago, Brian Lucey said:

MQA is very aggressive.   I'm hoping that Apple will say no to them and put an end to it.  If it's not more convenient then Apple is generally not a fan.

Thanks Brian. Interesting to hear that MQA Ltd are aggressive behind the scenes, behind what we see as the general public.

People seem to think that Apple's recent iOS support of FLAC is the first step to lossless streaming. Whether that's CD quality (not a bad thing at all) or Hi-Res, who knows. 

But as you pointed out, their Apple Music subscriber numbers continue to climb even with just 256k. And Spotify's numbers continue to climb with just MP3320k, so it's no wonder neither of those companies is in a rush for Hi-Res streaming.

The next 12 months will be interesting.

I expected the past 12 months to be interesting but it's been pretty quiet in terms of Hi-Res streaming gaining momentum.

On Apple’s front, apart from the limited FLAC support they introduced, Airplay 2 specs suggest a serious push into high res wireless audio. One can only hope that this is in preparation for either the sale or streaming of high res audio.

re: Apple and MQA, Apple is traditionally very protective of the innards of their hardware. They don’t even publish the amount of RAM the iPhone has. Pretty much nothing inside their devices is user replaceable or upgradable. There’s no way in hell that they will let MQA (the company) take a looksie into their DAC implementation.

3 hours ago, Confused said:

Nudging this thread gently back onto the topic of MQA...... 

I picked up a rumour that the reason dCS have delayed their promised firmware update to include MQA decoding in some products is due to a dispute over monies with MQA.  Apparently MQA want dCS to pay them a license fee for every unit sold, (or has been sold?) even if the user does not use MQA.  I am guessing this could be tracked by whether or not a user downloads a particular plug-in or something, I'm not sure.  If dSC are effectively absorbing the licence fee costs, the difference between some and all users could be significant.  To be clear, this is just a rumour that I have picked up third hand, I cannot vouch for it's accuracy.  Does anyone know the facts?  I know Roon's MQA implementation is also delayed, so as pure speculation I do wonder if similar issues are involved.  OK, there could be technical issues, but it is not a giant leap to wonder if there is some dispute over the money.

Zero truth to this one. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

19 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Zero truth to this one. 

Thanks, I did ask if anyone knows the facts as I was not too sure of the quality of my source for this one.  I have crossed his name of my trusted source list and will have him suitably punished, when nobody is looking.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

17 minutes ago, synn said:

It might just be me, but desiring the MQA LED on a dCS product after plonking down that much cold hard cash is like wanting a “SUPER WOOFER SURROUND SOUND” sticker on a pair of B&W floor standers. Or “TURBO DOHC LIQUID COOLED” decals on a Porsche 911.

I tend to agree, but there are different ways of looking at this.  I do know of some dCS customers that are super keen to have MQA compatibility.  So there is an argument for dCS simply providing an option that some customers want.  I am not a fan of MQA, but I must admit that if I was spending dCS Vivaldi type money on a source or DAC, I would pretty much want it to be compatible with anything that I ever wanted to feed it with.  A case of being there if I need it, if there was a scenario in the future where a piece of music I wanted to listen to was in MQA format only, I would want something that would at least be compatible and make the best of it.  In fact I think this is at the root of why I find MQA so annoying, with how things have developed with PCM / FLAC etc, there is no need to even worry about this kind of stuff, but MQA lurking out there is a different story.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

32 minutes ago, Charles Hansen said:
15 hours ago, synn said:

Back on topic, has anyone compared MQA unfolded on an MQA certified DAC vs on an up scaling DAC?

Yes, many time by Frederic V. Using the some of the highest resolution playback systems in the world, he has both done personal listening tests and done demos at shows where nobody could tell the difference. The caveat is that the upsampling has to be done with a minimum-phse, slow-rolloff digital filter, similar to the digital filter used in MQA. See this link for more details:

I am sorry Charles, but I don't see how this answers the question. I'd like to put some money on a dose of sarcasm here, but I could lose.

If that really is supposed to be an answer, I have one too :

I compare Redbook or Hires and what not with MQA every day for months now, and the difference is huge in each single occasion, no matter the filter I use. One must be totally deaf to not hear the differences.

The comparison you refer to is not valid. I am not going to elaborate again, because Frederic will find my boss and tell him I am posting on forums during my work.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

Oops @Charles Hansen, I now read the other posts. What happened suddenly ?

Anyway, my previous post was not in the context of further posts at all. So I really only reacted to the Frederic test.

Peace.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

3 hours ago, Em2016 said:

But as you pointed out, their Apple Music subscriber numbers continue to climb even with just 256k. And Spotify's numbers continue to climb with just MP3320k, so it's no wonder neither of those companies is in a rush for Hi-Res streaming.

Spotify uses free Vorbis codec, not MP3... ;)

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

2 hours ago, synn said:

Yes, I read about that as well. I really hope that the delay has to do with getting the licensing sorted out rather than because of a lack of interest from the test group.

I cannot believe that this concept is so hard for people to understand. The only reason Spotify exists is to make money. When they run a test (such as they did with the lossless streaming), they simply crunch the numbers and see if the added costs of both storage and streaming more data are higher or lower than the money they will make by adding a new feature.

Since they have run the trial and not switched, it is 100% clear that streaming in lossless is currently a money-losing proposition compared with streaming in lossy. What is so hard about that to understand?

Charles Hansen

Dumb Analog Hardware Engineer
Former Transducer Designer