IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

9 hours ago, Don Hills said:

Mans, I haven't seen anything about the coefficients of the filters used to split (and later rejoin) the audio into the 0-24 and 24-48 KHz bands for "origami" folding. Are they also leaky and "time optimised"? I would expect the performance of these filters to be more critical than the anti-alias / anti image filters. 

We obviously don't have access to the splitting filters. The joining is in decoder somewhere, but I haven't (yet) figured out how it works. There's a lot more code to analyse than for the renderer, and I have only so much time.

11 hours ago, Don Hills said:

Mans, I haven't seen anything about the coefficients of the filters used to split (and later rejoin) the audio into the 0-24 and 24-48 KHz bands for "origami" folding. Are they also leaky and "time optimised"? I would expect the performance of these filters to be more critical than the anti-alias / anti image filters. 

For the split/join to be theoretically lossless these filters must be two quadrature mirror filter pairs. This on its own imposes severe constraints. I don't think that on top of these constraints the MQA people have much choice for further optimisation. (We should ask Ingrid Daubechies.)

I have been asking this since nearly a year now: is an MQA DAC's standard CD replay filter (as seen in Fig.4 here Explorer 2 review at S'phile) part of these two QMF pairs? And if so, what does this mean for the other 3 QMF filters, and thus for the quality of the non-decoded MQA signal (i.o.w. has it been infected with aliasing in the audible band)?

8 hours ago, Charles Hansen said:

However I can find no evidence that he has ever designed his own custom digital filter.

He designed among others the Audiolab MDAC, which has a herd of custom filters. Some even different implementations of the (claimed) exact-same response (also claimed are, of course, vast audible differences between these  filters, because digital is, well, much more mysterious than EE-educated people think).

He is also the creator of the Lakwest MDAC2. Crowd funding was done in 2013. The design goes on, and on, and on, and on, ... There is a healthy secondary market of people buying and selling their MDAC2 order tickets.

10 hours ago, Charles Hansen said:

John of Westlake says:
....Having a far few products pass through the MQA certification process I can testify to the fact that there a SIGNIFICANT engineering effort made by the MQA team...

This is what Mr. Ritter of Berkeley Audio asserted over on the TAS website on the comments on Mr. Quint's "Political" article.  Turns out, it is just an assertion and all available evidence is contrary to it.  When I pointed this out to him, he said that he is a somebody in Audio and that those who disagree with him are nobodies.  Yep, it is as arrogant as that comes across.

Is ALL of "High End" a confidence game?

I do find it possible that Mr. Westlake is correct in that perhaps MQA had more hardware specific filter tuning up its sleeve but when it realized that Tidal was going to have to be point of the spear for it as far as getting MQA into the hands of (some) consumers, they rolled out MQA v1.2 that is more generalized.  The fact that they have adjusted and (if we are to be honest) "dumbed down" MQA in an effort to sell it should surprise no one, nor should the fact that they kept the original marketing materials and claims that were based on MQA v 1.0...I mean, who wants to rewrite trumped up marketing materials when "audiophiles" are simply not supposed to (and almost never do) question the voodoo? ;) 

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

4 minutes ago, Fokus said:

He designed among others the Audiolab MDAC, which has a herd of custom filters. Some even different implementations of the (claimed) exact-same response (also claimed are, of course, vast audible differences between these  filters, because digital is, well, much more mysterious than EE-educated people think).

A big LOL!  

All that mysterious ether - those rascally angels that make 1+1=2 "sound like" 1+1=3.  The thing is, all the "sounds like" writers and editors of all the trade publications really do believe in this stuff.  Thus, we get MQA...

5 hours ago, firedog said:

And do have any idea what he means by this:

As I also mentioned the Renderer also has other processing - not just the Time domain processing.

Hi Firedog,

No, it doesn't make any sense to me. One possibility is that he simply doesn't understand what he is talking about. We do know that the Microchip processor used in the AudioQuest DragonFlies does not have enough computational power to actually perform any DSP, so the only reasonable conclusion is that it simply loads the MQA coefficients into the programmable filter used in the ESS DAC chips. That will affect both the frequency response and the time domain response. The Microchip could also easily perform the zero-stuffing required to interpolate ("upsample") the 96kHz audio data from the software (Tidal or Audirvana) decoder. Also the software wends instructions as to which of the 16 filter sets should be used for each track, and again it would be trivially easy for the Microchip processor to implement those commands.. Perhaps those are what Mr. Westlake is referring to.

Hope this helps,

Charles Hansen

Charles Hansen

Dumb Analog Hardware Engineer
Former Transducer Designer

11 minutes ago, crenca said:

more generalized

I'd call it watered down.  But you can never back off your original marketing claims.  Of course, those who have signed an NDA will say we don't really understand MQA and that we are in no position to challenge their assertions.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

9 minutes ago, rickca said:

I'd call it watered down.  But you can never back off your original marketing claims.  Of course, those who have signed an NDA will say we don't really understand MQA and that we are in no position to challenge their assertions.

Yep, and the NDA played right into the confidence game that IS "High End".  I have said it before and will say it again that I have immense respect for Bob S/Meridian/MQA's ability to read and understand the lay of the land of "High End", and then create a scam product that leverages the circumstances.

Here is the deal however;  sooner or later we will read an interview with someone who has signed the NDA but is not willing to simply back up the claims.  He will have to tread lightly of course, but it will be clear that he is making a point that the engineering and math behind the IP is in fact what is already known - not what it is advertised as.

15 minutes ago, mansr said:

Designing a filter might mean nothing more than firing up the Matlab signal processing toolbox and punching in a few desired parameters. Anyone can do this.

Yes.

I used to do this without the SPT :P

This was just to signal Charles that JW has some custom filter experience.

1 hour ago, Fokus said:

He is also the creator of the Lakwest MDAC2. Crowd funding was done in 2013. The design goes on, and on, and on, and on, ... There is a healthy secondary market of people buying and selling their MDAC2 order tickets.

Hello Fokus,

Thanks for the correction. As you hint at, this is a bit mysterious. I could find no good photos of the insides, nor any test reports from any publication that makes measurements. The manufacturer's website claims the unit uses the original ESS Sabre 32 ES9018 DAC chip, which only has two filters built=in - a sharp rolloff and a slow rolloff. However the filters are custom programmable, and it appears this is what Westlake has done with the M-DAC. It becomes curiouser and curiouser as one reads the descriptions of the filters. As you point out three of the filters are called "Optimal Transient" with no claimed ringing, which is a difficult task to pull off, let alone with three different implementations that are claimed to have identical frequency response and time domain response.

The digital filter in the ESS chip is somewhat unusual as it is an 8x interpolation filter (like many, many other DAC chips),. However instead of the typical concatenation of three 2x sections to achieve 8x, it uses a 4x followed by a 2x. It is difficult for me to understand how Westlake could arrange two building blocks in three different ways to achieve the exact same results. That is just the beginning of curious things I've never seen claimed before, not only for the digital filters but also for a "Digital Data Decorrelation Engine" that sounds like it simply dithers data with word lengths less than 24 bits,. Finally it has a feature whereby it is claimed to "correct Windows LSB rounding errors", which is a very interesting feature indeed. I've never heard of the "problem" before, and it is unclear to me how one would know whether the rounding had been up or down (in order to properly correct it). But who knows? Perhaps he is right and everybody else is wrong. None of us know what we don't know, and perhaps Mr. Westlake is simply that far ahead of everybody else.

Hope this helps,

Charles Hansen

Charles Hansen

2 hours ago, Fokus said:

I have been asking this since nearly a year now: is an MQA DAC's standard CD replay filter (as seen in Fig.4 here Explorer 2 review at S'phile) part of these two QMF pairs? And if so, what does this mean for the other 3 QMF filters, and thus for the quality of the non-decoded MQA signal (i.o.w. has it been infected with aliasing in the audible band)?

Hi Fokus,

No that graph is of the digital reconstruction filter used by MQA. It turns out that the BlueSound and the DragonFlies have a choice of 16 different filters. I don't recall if that is the case for the Explorer2 or not. I think Archimago touched on that in his blog, but don't recall for sure. At any rate it is definitely not part of the band splitting/recombining process.

Hope this helps,

Charles Hansen

Charles Hansen

5 minutes ago, Charles Hansen said:

No that graph is of the digital reconstruction filter used by MQA. It turns out that the BlueSound and the DragonFlies have a choice of 16 different filters. I don't recall if that is the case for the Explorer2 or not. I think Archimago touched on that in his blog, but don't recall for sure. At any rate it is definitely not part of the band splitting/recombining process.

The Explorer2 must have the same filter options in the render stage. The selection is encoded in the MQA metadata stream and passed on by the "core" decoder. Since the Explorer2 doesn't have a render-only mode, the exact responses can't be measured in the same way we did with the other DACs.

1 hour ago, Charles Hansen said:

No that graph is of the digital reconstruction filter used by MQA. It turns out that the BlueSound and the DragonFlies have a choice of 16 different filters.

That is not the issue.

How come that no-one else so far have wondered why ALL MQA DACs have the same reconstruction filter for CD-rate non-MQA material????? A filter that is suspiciously 'wrong', both to orthodoxy and to Meridian's legacy MP aposiders.

My guess is that this is simply because this filter is one of the two required QMFs for MQA band joining, pressed into service for CD rate decoding.

Again: why do they all have the same response ...

1 hour ago, Charles Hansen said:

Finally it has a feature whereby it is claimed to "correct Windows LSB rounding errors", which is a very interesting feature indeed.

This just sounds to me like another description of dither.  Or it could be of >24 (16?) bit math in the signal processing chain somewhere, I suppose, which is another pretty ordinary thing.  Or it could be a description of the driver’s operation versus Windows’ low level audio processing.

In other words, I have no idea. :)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

3 hours ago, crenca said:

A big LOL!  

All that mysterious ether - those rascally angels that make 1+1=2 "sound like" 1+1=3.  The thing is, all the "sounds like" writers and editors of all the trade publications really do believe in this stuff.  Thus, we get MQA...

HI crenca - I can't help but notice something when it comes to MQA and other items. If someone isn't totally against MQA at all times, you bring out all the possible negatives one could think of. In other words, inside every cloud there's a black lining, HiFi is snake oil etc...

On the other hand, when someone such as @Charles Hansen makes claims such as WAV and FLAC sound different, wood blocks under speaker cables sound better, etc... you don't jump all over him because he is on your anti-MQA team. It's as if you've sold out to the anti-MQA team.

How about a little crenca on the complete pro consumer team rather than just the pro consumer team, when it makes sense.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 hour ago, Jud said:

This just sounds to me like another description of dither.  Or it could be of >24 (16?) bit math in the signal processing chain somewhere, I suppose, which is another pretty ordinary thing.  Or it could be a description of the driver’s operation versus Windows’ low level audio processing.

In other words, I have no idea. :)

Hi Jud,

If the system implements any dither which may have a triangular pdf, or other, then the result will be a triangular pdf (or other) regardless of the original LSB dither.

As such, there may be no detection operation in place, just the application of its own dither to mask the LSB errors ?

Regards,

Shadders.

7 hours ago, firedog said:

Thanks for sharing this.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

1 hour ago, FredericV said:

Demonstrated using Antelope's Platinum DAC + separate 10M atomic clock + separate Voltikus, and the excellent active John Watkinson speakers which are not very well known, but among the best which I have heard so far.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/147070590@N02/36730762584/in/dateposted/

He was present at an MQA introduction show using very expensive speakers and being demo'ed by Hans Beekhuyzen. He told me the S sounds are all wrong with fully decoded MQA, and that he would never dare to give such a bad demo. This demo was at a very well respected ultra high-end boutique dealer.

Thanks for the write up Frederic.  Just to be clear, the active speakers do not have a DAC (and thus a 2nd A>D>A conversion) correct?

Also, my personal impression is that there is something going on in the the sibilance region as well that is "off" and leaves me with a "digititus" kind of aftertaste.