IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

3 minutes ago, FredericV said:

It simply does not work like that

Exactly. It simply does not work as you think it does. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

8 minutes ago, mansr said:

In that case, why can't they simply complete their voodoo in the studio and avoid the need for special DACs entirely?

First, they claim there has to be deblurring on the users DAC end that is specific to each DAC for the full effect. 

And beyond that, I think you know the answer. For the same reason they aren't making a software MQA decoder available, when they have specifically said it is possible. They want the solution to be based in the users HW. 

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

5 minutes ago, firedog said:

Exactly. It simply does not work as you think it does. 

This reminds me of the exchange between The Computer Audiophile and esldude a while back (could have been this very thread).

I am curious firedog, even though you are technically correct as far as the way MQA is actually implemented (at least I think you are) is that how it is actually sold?  Do you just chalk the incongruity of how it actually works and how it is sold (as "end to end", "as the artist intends", etc. etc.) to the usually marketing fluff?

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

Just now, crenca said:

This reminds me of the exchange between The Computer Audiophile and esldude a while back (could have been this very thread).

I curious firedog, even though you are technically correct as far as the way MQA is actually implemented (at least I think you are) is that how it is actually sold?  Do you just chalk the incongruity of how it actually works and how it is sold (as "end to end", "as the artist intends", etc. etc.) to the usually marketing fluff?

Yep, at least in part. 

But even I don't think it is totally fluff. Conceptually, the idea that the digital recording and playback process is done according to a standard, and that the AD devices on the recording end, and the DA devices on the user end are configured to correct for the anomalies in the digital/analog processing on each end makes sense and should result in better sound. 

It's the way MQA is being marketed, and the possibility for DRM control of what we are allowed to listen to that concerns me. 

Just now, mansr said:

I know that there isn't actually anything DAC specific going on.

The reason they want it in the DAC is to extract royalties from one more party, and so they can sell it to the studios with a promise of end-to-end DRM.

Again, I'm not disagreeing with you. Just disagreeing that a DAC with tube (or any other kind of output) violates the MQA definitions. 

8 hours ago, mansr said:

I know that there isn't actually anything DAC specific going on.

PSAudio have stated that they didn't want to mess with the FPGA dac programming to accommodate MQA.

The PSAudio directstream dacs are MQA certified, but only (AFAIK) on their network bridge inputs - i.e. the network card/chips are doing the full MQA decode and then (one supposes) pass this on to the FPGA dac.

I'm curious how this complies with the dac 'deblurring' which is apparently central to the MQA process.

Mac M1 Mini RoonServer/HQPlayer> Holo May L2 > Benchmark HPA4

Headphones: Focal Utopia(2016), Sennheiser HD600, AKG K712 Pro
Speakers: ATC SCM100ASLT (active)

There's no magic to the deblurring. It can be done by any DAC with loadable filters. It would be child's play to someone like Mans. I believe the correct MQA filter coefficients were used to generate Archimago's test files. But the average audiophile may as well buy a DAC with it already built in.  

"People hear what they see." - Doris Day

The forum would be a much better place if everyone were less convinced of how right they were.

11 hours ago, mansr said:

In reality, however, all DACs we've checked appear to use exactly the same filters, meaning there is no such tuning.

So, at the very least, dac compensation is subject to the implementation method of the MQA(?). This seems to be a very hit and miss way to rollout the product and doesn't provide much confidence in the whole 'Master Quality' mantra.

Mac M1 Mini RoonServer/HQPlayer> Holo May L2 > Benchmark HPA4

Headphones: Focal Utopia(2016), Sennheiser HD600, AKG K712 Pro
Speakers: ATC SCM100ASLT (active)
20 hours ago, tobes said:

PSAudio have stated that they didn't want to mess with the FPGA dac programming to accommodate MQA.

The PSAudio directstream dacs are MQA certified, but only (AFAIK) on their network bridge inputs - i.e. the network card/chips are doing the full MQA decode and then (one supposes) pass this on to the FPGA dac.

I'm curious how this complies with the dac 'deblurring' which is apparently central to the MQA process.

If I remember correctly, PS Audio was also uncomfortable with the level of access MQA required into their engineering design IP for MQA implementation. 

1 hour ago, tobes said:

So, at the very least, dac compensation is subject to the implementation method of the MQA(?). This seems to be a very hit and miss way to rollout the product and doesn't provide much confidence in the whole 'Master Quality' mantra.

It's Master Quality money going into Bob's pockets. That's all he cares about.

22 hours ago, Don Hills said:

There's no magic to the deblurring. It can be done by any DAC with loadable filters. It would be child's play to someone like Mans. I believe the correct MQA filter coefficients were used to generate Archimago's test files. But the average audiophile may as well buy a DAC with it already built in.  

Well the claim by people who's ability to write about is restricted by NDA is that there is more going on than the filtering and that Archi's tests aren't doing anything like testing MQA vs non MQA.....

13 hours ago, firedog said:

Well the claim by people who's ability to write about is restricted by NDA is that there is more going on than the filtering and that Archi's tests aren't doing anything like testing MQA vs non MQA.....

Hi Firedog,

Who is saying that? One should remember that almost all of the people who have signed up are those that don't know how to make their own digital filters. I've been surprised at some of the claims made by those using MQA. I don't think they are lying, I think they truly don't understand the technology. There are less than a dozen  companies making their own digital filters.

Thanks,

Charles Hansen

Charles Hansen

Dumb Analog Hardware Engineer
Former Transducer Designer

1 hour ago, Charles Hansen said:

Hi Firedog,

Who is saying that? One should remember that almost all of the people who have signed up are those that don't know how to make their own digital filters. I've been surprised at some of the claims made by those using MQA. I don't think they are lying, I think they truly don't understand the technology. There are less than a dozen  companies making their own digital filters.

Thanks,

Charles Hansen

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/member.php?u=14119

I believe the poster in the link is John Westlake, known audio/dac designer.

16 minutes ago, firedog said:

I believe the poster in the link is John Westlake

John Westlake is the designer of the new Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital which has MQA hardware decoding.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

17 hours ago, mansr said:

Those people are not being entirely honest.

Mans, I haven't seen anything about the coefficients of the filters used to split (and later rejoin) the audio into the 0-24 and 24-48 KHz bands for "origami" folding. Are they also leaky and "time optimised"? I would expect the performance of these filters to be more critical than the anti-alias / anti image filters. 

"People hear what they see." - Doris Day

The forum would be a much better place if everyone were less convinced of how right they were.

3 hours ago, Don Hills said:

Mans, I haven't seen anything about the coefficients of the filters used to split (and later rejoin) the audio into the 0-24 and 24-48 KHz bands for "origami" folding. Are they also leaky and "time optimised"? I would expect the performance of these filters to be more critical than the anti-alias / anti image filters. 

Hi Don,

In the Pinkfish thread where John Westlake (designer of an MQA-enabled DAC) posts, he claims the exact opposite - that the "real secret" are the reconstruction filters used in the DAC:

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=206723

(No registration required to view.)

In this post:  http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3210264&postcount=69   Mr. Westlake shows his lack of understanding as he apparently does not realize that the ESS DAC chips used actually allow the digital filter to be completely bypassed.

Further underscoring his lack of understanding is here:  http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3210276&postcount=71  where he regurgitates the MQA talking points despite the fact that Mansr and Archimago have measured them and shown them not to be true. In that same post he shows further lack of understanding by claiming that "many DAC's are only 24 but [sic] input limiting the mathematical precession [sic] of the process - hardware rendering avoids all these issues" as apparently he doesn't realize that MQA limits the audio resolution to only about 17 bits (MQA's noise-shaped dithering results in the noise floor varying throughout the audio band) so there is very little point in using filters with more than 24 bits of precision.

Finally in this post:  http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3210290&postcount=76  Mr. Westlake believes that he understands the advantages of MQA but that MQA has simply not properly explained them to the public, which I find to be somewhat ironic.

Hope this helps,

Charles Hansen

Charles Hansen

Dumb Analog Hardware Engineer
Former Transducer Designer

46 minutes ago, Charles Hansen said:

Hi Don,

In the Pinkfish thread where John Westlake (designer of an MQA-enabled DAC) posts, he claims the exact opposite - that the "real secret" are the reconstruction filters used in the DAC:

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=206723

(No registration required to view.)

In this post:  http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3210264&postcount=69   Mr. Westlake shows his lack of understanding as he apparently does not realize that the ESS DAC chips used actually allow the digital filter to be completely bypassed.

Further underscoring his lack of understanding is here:  http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3210276&postcount=71  where he regurgitates the MQA talking points despite the fact that Mansr and Archimago have measured them and shown them not to be true. In that same post he shows further lack of understanding by claiming that "many DAC's are only 24 but [sic] input limiting the mathematical precession [sic] of the process - hardware rendering avoids all these issues" as apparently he doesn't realize that MQA limits the audio resolution to only about 17 bits (MQA's noise-shaped dithering results in the noise floor varying throughout the audio band) so there is very little point in using filters with more than 24 bits of precision.

Finally in this post:  http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3210290&postcount=76  Mr. Westlake believes that he understands the advantages of MQA but that MQA has simply not properly explained them to the public, which I find to be somewhat ironic.

Hope this helps,

Charles Hansen

And do have any idea what he means by this:

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3211170&postcount=115

As I also mentioned the Renderer also has other processing - not just the Time domain processing.