IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

28 minutes ago, Ishmael Slapowitz said:

Did anyone note in Austin's Mytek review that he quoted a recording engineer as saying that a modern album may

go through as many 5 conversions by the time it is mastered? So does MQA "de-blur" and "correct" the timing for all

conversions? Me thinks not. Me thinks MQA was DOA theoretically and in practice on Day One.😍

This sort of thing came up time and again -- What about multiple conversions? What about multiple converter types? What if someone doesn't really know what converters were used? And on and on...

I think you're probably right about Day One.

Doug Schneider

29 minutes ago, Jud said:

I think you’re being too charitable. They selected filters that no competent designer would choose for fidelity, because they knew many listeners subjectively preferred them, and said they corrected time domain errors in recordings, which these filters are incapable of doing. They used lossy compression that reduced fidelity, to try to protect their IP (while initially denying it was lossy). They gave a false impression of the original resolution of upsampled files. And they marketed it all as “Master Quality.”

You have me re-thinking my choice or words.

Doug Schneider

2 hours ago, mansr said:

A clever guy named Josh Coalson already did. In 2001. He called it FLAC.

Well, then there's that! Of course you're correct. And it seems almost too good to be true -- and free! But in this case, it does all it says it does -- and that's a lot! (But there isn't the magic and mystery behind it that the writers who latched on to MQA seemed to adore so much.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FLAC

Doug Schneider