IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

28 minutes ago, wdw said:

funny!  it appears the MQA folks are now just ignoring you/us as they are now at third base.  The strategy is so suspect...no reviews nor direct A/B comparisons for the unwashed but extravagant treatment for the audio glitterati.  I have respect for the opinions of JA, of Stereophile, and these on MQA are overwhelmingly positive...perhaps when we have a chance to hear this stuff in a controlled environment we may share his outlook but the marketing strategies of MQA have thwarted my attempts.

Here a listening test suggested by Gordon Rankin:

"Go to Amazon and buy Rebecca Pigeon's MQA cd. Rip it play it back with something that does not support MQA like iTunes or whatever. Then play it back with Audirvana or something else that supports MQA and the result is 24/176.4 from a 16/44.1 track. Then compare that to maybe the HD Tracks downloads at 24/96, 24/88.2 (I think the closest sounding to the MQA), or Bob Katz version at 24/176.4."

Of course you'll need to borrow a MQA DAC.

3 hours ago, Charles Hansen said:

Hello Miguelito,

I can't disagree with anyone's opinion of the sound quality of MQA - "better" is in the ear of the listener. However I would prefer to purchase a DAC with better sounding digital filters than to buy a new DAC plus pay a monthly rental fee so that only a small percentage of the music from one source (and nothing that I actually own) sounds "better".

MQA is many things. In my fairly limited experience, it seems that the better quality from MQA content is the result of careful sourcing of a high quality master more than anything related to the technology. Consider the Joni Mitchel releases: the MQA versions sound pretty good, better than the redbook versions for sure, just as good as the 24/192 versions. In some other cases there is no improvement. Plus you get most of the impact from the first unfold, which can be used with all DACs. A $300 Meridian Explorer2 doing full MQA decoding will not sound as good as, say, a first unfold into a $20k DAC.

3 hours ago, Charles Hansen said:

As far as $240 per year being called "fairly minimal" is again a matter of opinion. One could purchase 10 or 20 high-res downloads, or 60 used CDs, or some combination of the two for the same amount and own them forever. Five CDs a month is a lot of new music to assimilate. Even 1 or 2 high-res downloads will keep many busy. One can listen to all the new music one wants at Spotify to figure out what is worth buying.

Where is the $240 coming from? $20 for TIDAL for a year?

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

Just now, Rt66indierock said:

Again where is the revenue stream going to MQA Ltd? At some point you have to stop burning cash. In 2016 MQA Ltd's cash burn rate was about $360,000 a month. That can't go on forever.

Dunno...so odd how this is playing out...one one hand, MQA is just wonderful, the other B. Stuart is close to a sociopath.

3 minutes ago, kana813 said:

"Go to Amazon and buy Rebecca Pigeon's MQA cd. Rip it play it back with something that does not support MQA like iTunes or whatever. Then play it back with Audirvana or something else that supports MQA and the result is 24/176.4 from a 16/44.1 track. Then compare that to maybe the HD Tracks downloads at 24/96, 24/88.2 (I think the closest sounding to the MQA), or Bob Katz version at 24/176.4."

Of course you'll need to borrow an MQA DAC

Jokin' right?  

25 minutes ago, wdw said:

Go to Amazon and buy Rebecca Pigeon's MQA cd

How much more can MQA throw away and still claim to be able to recover the sound of the original master?

I mean if the 24/44 MQA version of a 24/176 file is "Master Quality Authenticated" - how can a 16/44 MQA file be likewise?....or even better than a standard CD?

Mac M1 Mini RoonServer/HQPlayer> Holo May L2 > Benchmark HPA4

Headphones: Focal Utopia(2016), Sennheiser HD600, AKG K712 Pro
Speakers: ATC SCM100ASLT (active)
9 minutes ago, kana813 said:

No.

Are you afraid to listen?

Not at all...but you are suggesting I buy a CD from an artist i have little interest in, then an HDTracks download of the same music to compare the bonafides of a commercial product...so, you are joking!

1 hour ago, wdw said:

Dunno...so odd how this is playing out...one one hand, MQA is just wonderful, the other B. Stuart is close to a sociopath.

In my case MQA doesn't work for artists, studios and there isn't enough music to matter. I've met Bob Stuart and if he wanted to he could send me the six albums from an earlier post that are available in Europe but not in the United States. He has my contact information and his people monitor this thread. 

1 hour ago, miguelito said:

MQA is many things. In my fairly limited experience, it seems that the better quality from MQA content is the result of careful sourcing of a high quality master more than anything related to the technology. Consider the Joni Mitchel releases: the MQA versions sound pretty good, better than the redbook versions for sure, just as good as the 24/192 versions. In some other cases there is no improvement. Plus you get most of the impact from the first unfold, which can be used with all DACs. A $300 Meridian Explorer2 doing full MQA decoding will not sound as good as, say, a first unfold into a $20k DAC.

Hi Miguelito,

So why not just stream a 96/16 FLAC version? It would sound better than the MQA, be absolutely free, and require both less storage space and less streaming bandwidth. No need for licenses, royalties, NDAs, contracts, gobbledy-gook marketing talk.

Or if you are buying it, why not get the original 192/24 transfer from the analog tape instead of a lossy version that is only 96/17 at best, plus requires special equipment to "decode" it?

1 hour ago, miguelito said:

Where is the $240 coming from? $20 for TIDAL for a year?

Is there some other source for MQA?

Thanks,

Charles Hansen

Charles Hansen

Dumb Analog Hardware Engineer
Former Transducer Designer

49 minutes ago, tobes said:

How much more can MQA throw away and still claim to be able to recover the sound of the original master?

I mean if the 24/44 MQA version of a 24/176 file is "Master Quality Authenticated" - how can a 16/44 MQA file be likewise?....or even better than a standard CD?

Future MQA upgrades will allow Scami-Origami-Multi-Euphonic-Multi-Dimensional-Folding.  This will allow a 4kbps stream to unfold without audible loss into a 768 khz/32 bit PCM or 44.8 mhz DSD playback condition.

MQA  SOME-MDF

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

26 minutes ago, Charles Hansen said:

Even then it only made sense if there was any real demand for it. Regarding demand, please remember that  CONTENT IS KING.

What about the many CA members who enjoy using HQPlayer or A+ to convert redbook to DSD512?  Isn't that legitimate demand?  I've been hearing this message of 'nobody wants it' from Ayre for a long time.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

1 hour ago, wdw said:

Hi WDW,

I think this one was covered earlier in the thread:  https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/30381-mqa-is-vaporware/?page=125&tab=comments#comment-691826

Cheers,

Charles Hansen

Charles Hansen

That's a very long winded, circuitous, self congratulating way to justify why you enabled a format you derided for many years. 

You run a business, not a charity. Same with me. I understand why some decisions are made, and I don't judge. I just hope, for your sake, you haven't made Ayre's possible future support of MQA so complicated that it will harm your business. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

2 minutes ago, Charles Hansen said:

Hi WDW,

I think this one was covered earlier in the thread:  https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/30381-mqa-is-vaporware/?page=125&tab=comments#comment-691826

Cheers,

Charles Hansen

Hello Charles,

Always look forward to your comments and observations (love your gear) but your willingness to slang Stuart, as an individual, is interesting but also questionable.  

Is he truly such a duplicitous rascal?  

best

HI Charles-

Appreciate your last post.

When using a Mytek (ESS) DAC, I found that upsampling PCM to DSD sounded superior to even hires PCM playback. I chalked that up to the  DAC doing fewer iterations of upsampling and conversion before filtering for the analog output. 

Now my system is a native PCM one with with it's own ASRC setup of upsampling and filtering. It converts 
DSD to PCM along the way.  I find that letting it do it's  thing sounds best - so I usually send it everything in "native" format.

However, I do have some recordings (mostly early digital) that sound to me a little harsh. I find that converting them to DSD (DSD 128 with 7th order filter) before sending them to the DAC does exactly what you described - it "softens" or "rounds" the sound in a way that even  upsampling to hi-res PCM doesn't. For those recordings, I like the coloration involved.  So having that option in software is quite useful. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

2 hours ago, wdw said:

Is he truly such a duplicitous rascal?

Hi WDW,

Clearly "duplicitous rascal" is an objective opinion. I prefer to stick with verifiable facts. To my knowledge he has willfully misled people at least twice in the past, and continues to do so with his claims for MQA. (Aliasing = "upwards rendering"? If that is not misleading, I don't know what is.) Here is some of Mr. Stuart's history:

https://www.audioasylum.com/forums/critics/messages/8/87847.html

You can read the posts below that one to learn of Mr. Stuart's behavior in the early '70s.

And here is more factual information, from the '80 through the '90s, and up to the current date:

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/34750-another-major-look-at-mqa-by-another-pro/?page=23&tab=comments#comment-712977

NB: A few days after this was published, John Robert Stuart and Eleanor Burgess Taylor Stuart both resigned their positions from Meridian's Board of Directors.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/02710631/filing-history

It's all a matter of public record. What do you think of this type of behavior? Would you trust everything he says?

Charles Hansen

Charlie,

this might be slightly off topic but the relation of sonic signatures and genre preferences + technological standards at a given moment in time could use some enlightenement.

I always wonder for example about men with 300b’s or about the DSD-camp.

There seems to be quite a close and perhaps deepening correlation between gear & genre preferences.

I’d be happy to hear your thoughts on that and if you think MQA factored that in.

thx!

22 minutes ago, mcgillroy said:

about the DSD-camp

As Charles says, it’s helpful to know what’s actually going on in your system.  The vast majority of DACs internally use sigma-delta modulation on the bitstream.  DSD is a specific form of sigma-delta modulated bitstream.  So it’s just another one of those instances, like upsampling, where you’re doing something outside the DAC that the DAC would otherwise do (or something very similar) on its own.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.