IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

18 hours ago, austinpop said:

Hey, quick question for folks in the sCLK-EX universe...

Last time I did this, I was using Digikey SMB cables like this one: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/cinch-connectivity-solutions-johnson/415-0003-006/J1206-ND/456993

Has anyone found (or built) a better option for SMB clock cables? Applied JSSG or JSSG360? If so, please report.

These are the ones I use. The shortest the better so I am using 6 inch cables. I haven't tried any JSSG tweaks. These cables are very light and the connectors are fragile.

On 1/26/2019 at 9:15 PM, auricgoldfinger said:

Here are 2 screenshots that will hopefully explain what I am doing.  In Device Setup, note the area inside the red box, which shows where I have set DSP volume.  The volume limits are immediately below.  I accepted the default values, but perhaps they can be changed elsewhere.  In my case, the volume limits are the same for both Device and DSP.

1468963692_RoonSettings.thumb.gif.aec2f4210587958ab239a01ff17ec930.gif

I have DSP enabled so that I can equalize a single band using Parametric EQ.  This is shown below.

1208748663_ParametricEQ.thumb.gif.366a2ce1d5da347cf4033eaf7f9c1180.gif

I suspect this is definitely a situation where YMMV.   Let me know if you have more questions. 

EDIT: 

Here is one more screen shot with the volume shown.  If you click on DSP, it will take you to all the settings.

996790747_VolumeSetting.thumb.gif.63c5d4447f75a54a6ab91140ef6fbc9f.gif

Thanks for suggesting, I'm giving it a try for a day or two by setting preamp to 100 on my PS Audio Junior DAC. I always assumed fixed was better. Not a major change - but does sound very nice, and possibly better which I wasn't expecting. 

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

Any reason to not try AL with a NUC6i5 I currently use running Win10/AO/Fidelizer? I understand the concept of using a powerful CPU and having it operate without strain, but wouldn't the i5 have plenty of HP as a Roon endpoint with AL?

Also is there a trial period for AL? I realize outs not expensive

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
1 hour ago, jcn3 said:

Any reason to not try AL with a NUC6i5 I currently use running Win10/AO/Fidelizer? I understand the concept of using a powerful CPU and having it operate without strain, but wouldn't the i5 have plenty of HP as a Roon endpoint with AL?

Also is there a trial period for AL? I realize outs not expensive

Sorry.  Probably not the right thread for this.  Cross posted in the right thread, I think.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 10:47 AM, Iving said:

Correct

Incorrect

As posted before at CA and elsewhere, Optane PCIe AIC gives splendid results. I supply dedicated PCIe power from HDPLEX. No other drives required. All CPU/Avoids chipset.

Sorry, but any power derived from the motherboard itself WILL be degraded due to onboard switching regulators, and other components that are also powered from the motherboard itself,no matter whether the motherboard is powered by a Linear PSU or an existing SMPS. The lowest noise and best SQ will still be obtained by powering the SSD directly from the Linear PSU instead of from the motherboard IF possible.

Yes, it will perform better when the motherboard is powered by a good low noise and low output impedance Linear PSU instead of SMPS though .

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

4 hours ago, auricgoldfinger said:

Credit really goes to @EnjoyTheMusicNow for bringing it up.  My only contribution was the screen shots.  :)

Thanks @EnjoyTheMusicNow  for sharing... :)

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

1 hour ago, flkin said:

Please be very careful when you set your pre-amp to 100%!  😮

Very easy to blow up your speakers and ears if you are not careful...

Of course! Thanks. Only doing this to use the volume in Roon.  It’s also fairly common to set the DS Junior to 100 if using a separate preamp. 

On 1/26/2019 at 3:50 PM, austinpop said:

Wow this is news to me (Fixed vs. Device) - I have always used Fixed up to this point. So when you use Device, do you set the volume to 100%?

And am I reading right - @auricgoldfinger - there is a further gain by not only using Device volume, but by turning on DSP? I assume this means turning DSP on, but not actually engaging any of the DSP features (headroom management, sample rate conversion, and filters)? BTW - I just looked at DSP in Roon 1.6, and I don't even see the global flag to turn DSP on or off.

Something to try, but please be specific what I need to do. To be clear, assume the DAC does not have a software volume control.

I switched from fixed volume to device volume when HQPE implemented this a few versions ago (2 - months already), I changed my rig and my pre amp doesn't have a remote (Atma MP-3) since I also changed my rig from SS to tube I can't really comment on any improvements. I will try to do a comparison tonight on fixed vs variable.

Just note I don't consider this to be Roon's DSP but HQPE since it is my understanding Roon just passes the controls upstream (or downstream?) to HQPE and there the magic happens.

I was afraid of degradation in audio (as we all know from DSP volume settings), Miska confirmed this was not affected at all since we are upsampling already. 

DAC has no volume control, Dena Terminator, NOS mode always.

It will be interesting to test with no upsampling option (Roon or HQPE) and see the results

Don't know if you guys have read this article

https://twitteringmachines.com/everything-matters-a-tale-of-two-cables/

Written by @Michael Lavorgna

Good article, instructive etc.Here in this thread we all know that bits are not bits for audio, we all know the advantages of clean power etc. but something in the article brought my attention and I am resorting to this community for your opinions.

Michael states

"I can “see” one other WiFi network from my listening room. If you can see more than say, 30, I would suggest we have different environments when it comes to noise that may infect our mixed signal systems."

He is very on target using the word "may", he is not conclusive and I personally feel the same way.

Now I am a Mechanical Engineer, also do software, networks, computer related stuff, for some time already 38 years already, I also do RF assessments and designs and installs on high-rise buildings. I am not an electrical engineer like many of you in this thread, I know what a resistor, transistor, inductance etc is but I am not an expert in electrical circuits.

JS work is well known and great, we are dealing with two things here and if I am mistaken please comment.

We have EMI which is generated by the way electrical circuits work, electric fields generating interference, magnetic fields and radio waves of short magnitude (or is it?) through our equipment. We discovered that with good design circuits, good shielding etc we can minimize its effects, LPS power, JSSG, JSST etc. all goody here

Now (and I hope Rajiv @austinpop) and not off topic in any way, the effects of RFI, external RFI from our wireless, cordless, radio station next door, fire department, police etc. is not well understood yet. We think this "may" affect our digital music (maybe even analog) reproduction but we really have not actual experiment. Wifi, I install these for a living, not the Netgears, Linksys and home wifis etc. but the ones used at the airports and public places, Ruckus, Aerohive, Meraki etc. these usually transmit intensively in 2.4 and 5 GHZ as we all know. So some questions arise.

What effect will induce these in cables? 

Will the high frequency (relatively high) will detriment (or enhance) the music transport in our speaker wires, USB cables etc? 

Can we block these? (as a matter of fact we can but it is extremely hard, forget about aluminum foil, copper foil etc. I have tested this and the effects are minimal, and frequency dependent)

Like I said I have not experimented myself and I'm planning to do so, for work I purchased a Spectrum Analyzer from Keysight which I have been using for the last 4 years, I can measure RFI and I can even generate 30 dbm signals from the equipment in different frequencies.

If someone has already tested these your comments are welcome, I believe this is the correct thread however if we want to keep the 500 pages just for EMI mainly we can start another External RFI effects thread.

Thank you all

Luis

Just a disclosure, I'm not a dealer nor an audio industry professional trying to sell a product here. I may use any discoveries from my own experimentation or public experimentation in the future to incursion in this industry but so far I have not defined product or plan and I may never get into this commercially speaking

On 1/26/2019 at 1:51 PM, lmitche said:

Hi Luisma,

No disregard was intended. There are many factors that can contribute to differences in SQ and you are right, the DAC is potentially one of those. Computing hardware makes a huge difference as well, as does cabling, power supplies, player software, drivers . . . so without knowing much more it is tough to know what is going on.

Likewise properly tuning Audiolinux can make a huge difference in SQ.

My post was just to add another view acknowledging factors besides SQ as a major difference between these two OS choices.

FWIW, I started my CA travels five years ago running Audiolinux on an Asrock J1900 mini-ITX machine. I later found that Windows/AO sounded better on that machine and converted to Windows. Later hardware upgrades to a 6700k processor and a z170,  and later a z270 motherboard and Hqplayer upsampling to Dsd512 followed. I spent hours fighting Windows/AO DRM throughout these upgrades.

Converting that machine to a server running Audiolinux headless and Roonserver, connected to an I7 NUC running Audiolinux headless has been transformational on many levels.

Sorry Larry, wrong use of words, I did not meant disregard but more "taking in consideration"? English is not my native language, 

I agree Linux makes things easier by far compared to Windows, I am running Ubuntu and AL myself and testing.

The reason I was asking for the models of the DACs is usually the DAC comes with a driver and the OS implements their own accessing mechanisms to the USB ports

By the way we are assuming mostly USB usage but I think some are using I2S etc.

And I am genuinely puzzled by the comments that Windows sounds better, maybe the USB driver implementation, all these high end (geez these guys have very nice DACs @Metnoc and @kelvinwsy) DACs they do reclocking with internal buffers so I would think the OS is not that critical but it could be. Then we have which USB port is used 3.0 ? 3.1? 2.0? cables used? extra software that may be interfering (I personally discover that adding alsa utils etc. improved my communications in Linux)

So only testing we can determine. 

On 1/27/2019 at 10:49 PM, tapatrick said:

Thanks for suggesting, I'm giving it a try for a day or two by setting preamp to 100 on my PS Audio Junior DAC. I always assumed fixed was better. Not a major change - but does sound very nice, and possibly better which I wasn't expecting. 

After a few days back and forth testing software volume in Roon versus fixed volume, I'm staying with fixed as this sounds cleaner, other wise hard to tell any difference.

On 11/23/2018 at 10:32 PM, austinpop said:

Could you please clarify the various squeezelite versions? Is R2 a different branch? What are the benefits of using it vs. the Ralph Irving latest 1.9.0-1 version? Especially if you don't need:

• HQPlayer
  • transcoding via C-3PO?

Squeezelite-R2 was derived directly from the Triode's last version stored in Google code, ported in GitHub and modified. Then R2 patches were applied to Daphile and Ralphy version, both started from the same version in google code, we then agreed to consider the one maintained by Ralphy the new 'standard', so he always receives my patches and updates, but is obviously up to him to apply them or not.

In the "standard" version, to enable the R2 patch you need -W switch.

I then Applied Daphile DSD patches to R2, with some mods, in order to play 'native' DSD, same patches are now also in the Ralphy version, with minor differences.

So, R2 is the old Triode version plus R2 and Daphile DSD patches, nothing more, where "standard" includes much more that, in my opinion, is not needed.

Please consider Squieezelite-R2 a sort of 'minimalistic' Squeezelite, if you like, but you could exchange it with the standard one if you like it more.

________________________________________________________________________________
Writer of  the R2 patch to Squeezelite and C-3PO.plugin.  note liberehttps://github.com/marcoc1712
Logitech media Server 7.9 > miniPc + squeezelite-R2 / SB+ > "Lu Criaturu" NOS R2R DAC / AudioResearch DAC 1-20 > 
Klimo Merlino Gold TPS > DIS Interconnect > Kent Gold > Reference > Monitor Audio Studio 20 SE

On 11/23/2018 at 8:26 AM, austinpop said:

Hi all,

Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow US Americans!

Today, as I was lolling half asleep in my tryptophan coma, the final piece of the jigsaw puzzle fell into place in my brain. We don't have to choose between the UI and UX of Roon that some of us require and the superior SQ of squeezelite, with the large buffers, that I reported above. The answer was sitting staring me in the face all along!

Why not do the thing Nuno has been promising for SE customers? I.e. run Roon as the server, and squeezelite as player? It turns out, it works!

It's a little tricky on a single box, but on a server-renderer solution like most of you guys are running it's a piece of cake. On the server side, it's just a little setting in Roon:
Settings > Setup > Enable Squeezebox support

Then over on the renderer, stop roonbridge and run squeezelite. The key is only one of these can run, because it has to open an exclusive ALSA connection to the DAC. Once squeezelite is running on the renderer, go back to Roon, go to Settings > Audio, and scroll down. You should find the squeezelite player visible as a device. Enable it, configure it, and off you go!  I do notice some issues though:

1. The Roon Device for the squeezelite instance allows a max sample rate of PCM 192. I don't know if this is a hard limit set by Roon, of if there is any way to bump that up to PCM 384k.
  2. I do get the occasional glitch, where the playback will, abruptly in mid-song, skip to the next track. Perhaps it’s my version of squeezelite. I’m on 1.9.0.1. I need to see what's the most stable version of squeezelite.

On a single server machine like mine, the trick to avoid collisions at the ALSA interface is to disable the DAC as a Roon device first, then start squeezelite. For the reverse, stop squeezelite, then re-enable the DAC device in Roon. 

SQ wise - this is indeed the best of both worlds! I was a bit alarmed at the lack of free memory when I ran with -b 2GB:2GB so I dialed down to -b 1.5GB:1.5GB. This still sounds better than the Roon device.

Give it a try and tell me what y'all think.

Squeezelite(-R2) will always buffer only the current and the next track, so enormous buffers are not used. The golden role is to NEVER exceed the real amount of RAM available in your system, never make system paginate and swap, then use as much ram as you can.

________________________________________________________________________________
Writer of  the R2 patch to Squeezelite and C-3PO.plugin.  note liberehttps://github.com/marcoc1712
Logitech media Server 7.9 > miniPc + squeezelite-R2 / SB+ > "Lu Criaturu" NOS R2R DAC / AudioResearch DAC 1-20 > 
Klimo Merlino Gold TPS > DIS Interconnect > Kent Gold > Reference > Monitor Audio Studio 20 SE

On 7/22/2018 at 6:58 PM, tims said:

The Neutron Star 2 wouldn't be a suitable replacement for SOtM's sCLK-OCX10 master clock which I think produces 10.0MHz?

Can't see one with a 10.0MHz frequency on their products list.

I just realized that's available with 20% off, maybe that's good for connecting directly to stuff like Gustard U16 etc. without having to go through the degradation plus the high costs of clock cables?

http://www.newclassd.com/index.php?euip=1&page=221