IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

2 hours ago, Lebouwsky said:

My motherboard is currently powered by a Sotm sps500 through Ghent’s Canare starquad JSSG360 dc cable with very good results. My experiences with Ghent are very positive, highly recommanded

Yes they are very good, i have the one to connect the ISO REGEN to LPS-1 with also great results

Has anyone in the forum heard how better in terms of performance do the ones with the JSSG360 compared with the standard Canare 4S6 DC cable without JSSG360?:

DC-J01 Teflon Silver-Plated Star Quad DC(JSSG360) Cable

DC-GAC4 Gotham GAC-4/1 11301 UltraPro Star Quad DC(JSSG360) Cable

DC-7N16C Neotech UPOCC 7N Copper 16AWG DC(JSSG360) Cable

ER + PH DR7T - TAIKO Server + PH DR7T ( HQPOs + ROON ) JCAT XE USB - Lampizator Baltic 4 - D-Athena preamp - K- EX-M7 amp - PMC Twenty5 26

3 hours ago, andervt said:

feet

2 hours ago, andervt said:

Thank you Superdad, I was not aware that there was a rule for telling that I was a member of the trade, but this seems like a good rule.

There have been other comparisons with opposite results regarding Sotm and LPS powersupplyes, and that is the reason for me writing this. I have tested the LPS-1 one time and the LPS-1.2 two times. And the SPS-500 has been the better power without doubt in my tests. My friend who own the LPS power I tested also agree in what i wrote. I think it would be wrong of me to not enlighten auphile that there are different experiences, and in this way encourage to test themselves.

I have 2 SOTM SPS500 and 2 lps 1.2 in my system .The sps500 is a nice lps in term of flexibility voltage and amp. 

However in term of sq the lps 1.2 is clearly superior. 

PCserver Supermicro X11SAA under Daphile  ,Jcat pcie net card ,Etherregen,e-red dock endpoint,powered by LPS 1.2 , SPS 500 , Sean Jacobs level 3 psu,  DAC Audiomat Maestro 3, Nagra Classic Amp , Hattor passive preamplifier , Martin Logan montis

35 minutes ago, jean-michel6 said:

I have 2 SOTM SPS500 and 2 lps 1.2 in my system .The sps500 is a nice lps in term of flexibility voltage and amp. 

However in term of sq the lps 1.2 is clearly superior. 

Did you use any filtering on the SPS500 reducing the amount of noise this SMPS supply to the mains possibly "polluting" other (unfiltered?) components in your system? 

7 hours ago, numlog said:

Is there an explanation to this or just something you discovered yourself? 

most impressions online give the ''no moving parts, electrically quiet'' explanation as to why SSDs are best.

Tried it once with a small portion of my library and did not like the SQ, plus for larger libraries HDD's are cheaper and very dependable.  I also heard differences with 7200 RPM vs 5400 and stuck with 5400.

14 hours ago, Geir-T said:

I can confirm the listening impressions as reported by andervt on the NUCPJYH/Akasa fanless vs. SOTM-SMS-200 Ultra Neo  > tx-USBultra and LPS 1.2 vs. SPS-500. I am the one initiating this comparison since I am the owner of the NUC and the LPS 1.2 used in the test. 

I have been a long time lurker on this thread and have used the listening impressions reported here to decide what changes to apply in my own system. This has led to several changes over the past couple of years and the latest one change was to replace my Microrendu with a NUCPJYH built into an Akasa fanless case. This led to a clear improvement in my system and I decided to find out how this compared to the SOtM-SMS-200 Ultra Neo  & tx-USBultra. Based on the findings reported here, I expected the NUC alternative to be better, but to my surprise I found the opposite to be the case.

The following equipment were used in the test:

Paul Pang server full of the OCXO stuff running Roon Core

SOtM sNH-10G w/sCLK-EX

SOtM-SMS-200 Ultra Neo  & tx-USBultra powered by SPS500's

Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC 

Mola Mola Kaluga monoblocks

Respons Magna Musicum loudpeakers

Paul Pang cat 6 cables

Spiral Groove Strange Attractors under ALL boxes

More Furutech equipment than I can ever afford

Dedicated listening room with practically no remaining surface left acoustically untreated. 

A couple of the albums used for testing: Doug MacLeoud There's a Time (24 bit/Reference Recordings), Marta Gomez Entre Cada Palabra (24 bit). 

The SOtM-SMS-200 Ultra Neo  & tx-USBultra powered by SPS500's w/ SOtM silver DC cable were first swapped out for the NUC/Akasa/LPS 1.2/Ghent Neotech (JSSG360) cable (LPS 1.2 powered by SPS500)

It became evident that the NUC alternative lacks some definition in the bass region compared to the SOtM kit. Localization of instruments is also less precise in the NUC and the soundstage is smaller especially in width. Resolution in the highs is reduced with resulting less air and transparency. The difference was not subltle in this system.

Based on this result I wanted to find out how much of the difference came from the power supply of the NUC, so we swapped out the LPS 1.2 with the SPS500. In short the difference between the NUC and the SOtM rig was cut in half. The SPS500 improved all qualities of the sound. (Please note that power cables and DC cables used for the SPS500 are 2-3 X cost of the SPS500 itself, so result is not with stock cables)

A third finding of the test was that the NUC benefited from Spiral Groove Strange Attractors under its belly. It resulted in a slightly blacker background and also a slight improvement in resolution.

Since the first two findings are not in accordance with the impression I get when reading through this thread, I think it is of importance to report it.  

I plan to test the SPS500 replacing the LPS 1.2 in my own (more modest) system in the near future to see if I end up at the same conclusion or not. I am also curious about how the SR4 compares, but I guess I need to buy one to be able to find out. There are no Paul Hynes shops around here.

wonder if this verdict was the result of a backhand deal? (£xxxx)

2 hours ago, rickca said:

As I suggested earlier, you need to compare NUC7PJYH + tX-USBultra to sMS-200ultra Neo + tX-USBultra ... or just NUC7PJYH vs sMS-200ultra.

The Paul Hynes SR4 is wonderful with the NUC7PJYH.  I don't have an sPS-500 so I can't tell you how they compare.  The only way to buy an SR4 is to order directly from Paul Hynes ([email protected]).

The SR4 (with PH DC3FSXLR silver cable) at 12V gives the impression of 'biggie sizing' the NUC7PJYH.  It delivers better bass articulation and dynamics and a richer tone.  I'd encourage you to try it. 

I'm really happy with the sound quality running AudioLinux (ramroot/extreme mode) of the NUC7PJYH/SR4 combination, and I'm not even using a tX-USBultra.

That's cool Rick. Did you or anyone get a chance to compare the SR4 to the lps-1.2, JS-2 or the Mojo Audio LPS ? If it hadn't been for the wait time, I might have pulled the trigger on the SR4 long back. Your review rekindles the thought again. I will soon send a mail to PH.

9 minutes ago, Dev said:

That's cool Rick. Did you or anyone get a chance to compare the SR4 to the lps-1.2, JS-2 or the Mojo Audio LPS ? If it hadn't been for the wait time, I might have pulled the trigger on the SR4 long back. Your review rekindles the thought again. I will soon send a mail to PH.

Hi Dev,

Please search my NUC impressions from the index. I have compared the SR-4, LPS-1.2, and the sPS-500 powering the CJYH NUC. 

BTW - for those considering the SR-4... when I bought mine, the highest voltage available was 12V. I just learned that he is now offering these at higher voltages too. 

• The SR4-12 has switch positions for 5v, 7v, 9v and 12v.
  • The SR4-19 has switch positions for 9v, 12v, 15v and 19v.
  • The available output current is 2A continuous and 20A transient.
  • The SR4-05 is a fixed voltage output version with a 4A continuous 20A transient current rating.

I don't want to divulge pricing and terms on the forum, but feel free to follow up with Paul directly.

15 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Hi Dev,

Please search my NUC impressions from the index. I have compared the SR-4, LPS-1.2, and the sPS-500 powering the CJYH NUC. 

BTW - for those considering the SR-4... when I bought mine, the highest voltage available was 12V. I just learned that he is now offering these at higher voltages too. 

• The SR4-12 has switch positions for 5v, 7v, 9v and 12v.
  • The SR4-19 has switch positions for 9v, 12v, 15v and 19v.
  • The available output current is 2A continuous and 20A transient.
  • The SR4-05 is a fixed voltage output version with a 4A continuous 20A transient current rating.

I don't want to divulge pricing and terms on the forum, but feel free to follow up with Paul directly.

Thanks @austinpop SR-4 it is 🙂

Its good to know more options for SR4 are now available. SR4-19v for the NUC seems promising. I will follow up with PH.

On 1/21/2019 at 7:14 PM, Cornan said:

A while ago @seeteeyou recommended the WD Passport Wireless Pro as a great SSD. It was a HDD, but that’s not at all my point here. I have’nt got the patience to look for that post and quote it. My actual point is that I have just bought the 2tb version to backup my SD card while I’m out photographing. I will receive it in a couple of days. The thing I did’nt really realize properly before (but maybe @seeteeyou did?) is that it is a uPnP server/Plex server and a hot-spot as well plus all-day battery powered (approx 9-10 hrs). I can surely see that this could prove to be a game changer as a server/HDD close to the audio gears. I intend to try it out and let you guys know how it compares to direct OpenHome Tidal streaming when listening to the same album.

I just wanted to give a small update of the WD Passport Wireless Pro. No music played at this point. Received it today and started to play around with it. It is actually better than expected for me personally since it have a seemless integration with LightningDS (via Twonky server) and Google Drive (where I store my music files. Makes it a piece of cake to transfer to Wireless Pro). It also work with both BubbleuPnP and BubbleDS Next. The album covers shows up directly. Nice! 

Everything is prepared for a direct comparence to Tidal through OpenHome. I just need the opportunity to try it out when there are no kids running around! 😊

(As a SD card backup and iOS backup it is simply perfect.)

🎛️  Audio System