IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

53 minutes ago, mourip said:

Thanks Larry.

If you have been running in ramroot with the USB stick unplugged can you plug it back in to save your new settings or do you need to make all of your changes and the save after a fresh boot with USB stick left in place?

You should be fine just plugging it back in, but to be safe, do a fresh boot.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

On 1/16/2019 at 12:41 AM, Quadman said:

The optane M2SSD direct into the first M2 slot had perhaps a bit sharper leading edge, think square wave with a true 90 degree angle at the top and bottom, transients were very well defined, sharp without being harsh.  Startling in many ways.  Of course when this effect occurs you get the impression of increased pace and drive.  Bass was perhaps a bit cleaner, sharper leading edges, but maybe missing a bit of body and a touch of bloom.  Backgrounds were maybe a bit blacker, quieter.  Performers seemed a touch more separate but more individual meaning they seemed a touch less coherent as a group as a whole.  It was very involving and as I said I enjoyed listening to this set up a lot.

My old Intel SATA 2 SSD with external LPSU for power and a short 6" silver coboc stata cable seemed just a touch rounder on the leading edges, maybe a touch less sharp on transients, backgrounds maybe not quite as black but the body and palpable presence of the performers so real, so there, so human.  Very coherent performance.  Bass maybe a touch less tight but it had a touch more body and bloom, the resonance off a cello string is stunning.  I just cannot stop listening to this set up it is so human as I call it.  If I had to live with one server over the other I would choose mine with the sata 2 SSD.  Both systems have a very wide (beyond the speaker edges) deep (past my back wall), and high (above speakers) sound stage.  Both are very involving and as I started with, non-audiophiles would not hear the differences.

this mirrors my impression of an M.2 NVMe card vs externally powered 850 Evo SSD as OS drives, its hard to choose between them but with the M.2 powered by a basic LPS it is the preferred choice, with a slightly more dynamic and less grainy sound.

It turns out for music storage SSDs (or just the 850 Evo) may not be the best choice. using a 5400 rpm 2.5'' HDD as storage sounds better than the SSD,  the SSD sounds much colder/harder but there is no noticeable advantage in resolution or realism, it might be worse if anything. These small slow harddrives dont make much noise and dont need much power, it can replace the SATA SSD and use the same low noise power supply with no issues, the old OS is still installed on this SSD  so its possible a format could help with sound issues.

Will have to reevaluate this after some more improvements are made to the SATA interface

1 hour ago, lmitche said:

For those of you using a USB stick to boot Audiolinux and Roonbridge on your NUC endpoint, version 1.6 of Roon is available today with a new build of Roonbridge. The update will install per normal Roon operations into the ramdisk in the endpoint and play music as normal.

To permanently save this build on your USB stick, boot the NUC leaving the USB stick in place, login to the NUC and run Save System from the Audiolinux menu. Depending on your version of AL, this can be done from a browser, terminal emulator or console terminal via keyboard and monitor.

If you are running an older pre-menu version of Audiolinux, typing the ramsave command from the root prompt will save the changed contents of the ramdisk to the usb stick.

Make sure that the Roonbridge software has updated to version 1.0 build 169 before doing the ramsave operations described above. To check, in Roon go to Settings: About  to see the currently running version numbers. Relaunch the Roonbridge if it hasn't been done yet.

Enjoy,

Larry

Since Roon is writing new files to the installation directory /opt/RoonServer directory (this is not a standard and correct procedure in linux systems with packaged applications...) installation could fail. 

To be sure that all is fine, please install manually with

yaourt -Syy roonserver roonbridge --noconfirm --force

Where --force in this case is unfortunately necessary.

If you want, you can edit the file /opt/scripts/alupdate.sh and add --force to the same line.

This will be added in the next menu release, that will have an automatic script for transferring roon  database to anther drive and some more option (Turbo=off) for CPU governor :)

Note: to be sure of version type pacman -Q roonserver

AudioLinux --> https://www.audio-linux.com

developer of AudioLinux realtime OS

14 minutes ago, Quadman said:

I also use 5400 RPM server grade HDD's for music storage, wouldn't dream of using SSD's for music.

Is there an explanation to this or just something you discovered yourself? 

most impressions online give the ''no moving parts, electrically quiet'' explanation as to why SSDs are best.

21 minutes ago, numlog said:

Is there an explanation to this or just something you discovered yourself? 

most impressions online give the ''no moving parts, electrically quiet'' explanation as to why SSDs are best.

Based on my experience, HDD sounds more organic and natural than SSD. 

1 hour ago, hifi25nl said:

Since Roon is writing new files to the installation directory /opt/RoonServer directory (this is not a standard and correct procedure in linux systems with packaged applications...) installation could fail. 

To be sure that all is fine, please install manually with

yaourt -Syy roonserver roonbridge --noconfirm --force

Where --force in this case is unfortunately necessary.

If you want, you can edit the file /opt/scripts/alupdate.sh and add --force to the same line.

This will be added in the next menu release, that will have an automatic script for transferring roon  database to anther drive and some more option (Turbo=off) for CPU governor :)

Note: to be sure of version type pacman -Q roonserver

Would it be best to stop the audio services first and then run the install?

1 minute ago, hifi25nl said:

Yes, but that will not solve the problem. 

Sorry I was suggesting a little cookbook step by step to not confuse folks

So the process would be:

Stop audio services from menu

go to console

pacman to check and yaourt to update as above; menu to go back to the menu

start audio services

ramsave if you are in RAM.  

A little cookbook step process to “make sure” it is done right.  

Hi Guys,

Has anyone experienced with the GhentAudio DC cables for using with the HDPLEX 200W?

I ordered the basic ones and did not noticed they have better ones, like the (JSSG360) one and with the 7N OFC solid-core copper material.

Unfortunately i noticed this variations once my package left their building.

Will appreciate your inputs, thanks!

DC-7N16C: https://www.ghentaudio.com/part/dc-7n16c.html

DC-GAC4: https://www.ghentaudio.com/part/dc-gac4.html

DC-J01(4 x 21awg silver-plated wires): https://www.ghentaudio.com/part/dc-j01.html

DC-4S6(360): https://www.ghentaudio.com/part/dc-4s6-360.html

I spent som spare time today reading this thread, and found that I shold post some comments reagarding my listening experiences with some of the products mentioned.

I have earlier tested the Sotm SPS-500 vs Ultracap LPS-1.

I found the SPS-500 clearly superior in overall soundquality. When using the the SPS-500 to power the LPS-1 instead of the supplyed power that came with the LPS-1 the difference was smaller but still in favour of the SPS-500.

I recently tested SPS-500 vs Ultracap LPS-1.2.

I also this time found the SPS-500 superior of the LPS-1.2. And I do not think the differences are subtle when I think of what is compared. With the SPS-500 the sound is cleaner and less grainy, the soundstage is larger and low end better defined. I am using a self made AC powercord on the SPS-500, and also this time I tried powering the LPS-1.2 with the SPS-500. If the AC powercord make any difference this is included when powering the LPS-1.2 with the SPS-500. I also find the SPS-500 slone sound superior to the LPS-1.2 when powering the LPS-1.2 with the SPS-500. I have tested the supplyes on a Linux Audio Pentium NUC, and Sotm SMS-200 Ultra Neo.

I also compared my SOTM-SMS-200 Ultra Neo and tx-USBultra (no master clock) to the 4-core Pentium Audio Linux NUC.

The Sotm combo sounds better than the NUC. When changing from the NUC to the  Sotm combo it is like changing to a precision instrument with higher resolution, larger soundstage and more finess. The NUC has a good price quality sound, and is better than a Microrendu for example, but not at the same level as the Sotm combo.

I use Spiral Groove feet under my Sotm boxes, and also placed these under the NUC with good result wehen I did these tests.

I also wonder if people are using the Sotm boxes standing on their original soft feet?

If they do, they have not released the full potential of these units.

Replacing  the soft feet with a  stiff alternative will make an important improovement to the soundquality.
I use Spiral Groove Strange Attractor feet with very good result.
You could also use small aluminium feet or other alternatives of a hard material. This will make the boxes more unstable on the shelve, but do not place anything heavy on top of them for stability, this will degrade the sound.
Place 3 hard feet under the boxes. It is very important that the hard feet have direct contact with the product it is placed under, and the shelve it stands on. Place one foot in front, and two feet in the back on for example the SMS-200, SPS-500, tx-USBultra. Do not use spikes, and do not place them under existing feet.
This will be more unpractical then your soft feet, but will make an important improvement on the sound.
The units must stand in a rack or other hard surface, and not on a carpet or anything soft when you do this test. 

Andervik Audio

3 minutes ago, andervt said:

I also compared my SOTM-SMS-200 Ultra Neo and tx-USBultra (no master clock) to the 4-core Pentium Audio Linux NUC.

Some people are using a tX-USBultra with a quad core pentium NUC running AL.  Try comparing sMS-200ultra Neo + tX-USBultra to NUC/AL + tX-USBultra.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

50 minutes ago, mikicasellas said:

Hi Guys,

Has anyone experienced with the GhentAudio DC cables for using with the HDPLEX 200W?

I ordered the basic ones and did not noticed they have better ones, like the (JSSG360) one and with the 7N OFC solid-core copper material.

Unfortunately i noticed this variations once my package left their building.

Will appreciate your inputs, thanks!

DC-7N16C: https://www.ghentaudio.com/part/dc-7n16c.html

DC-GAC4: https://www.ghentaudio.com/part/dc-gac4.html

DC-J01(4 x 21awg silver-plated wires): https://www.ghentaudio.com/part/dc-j01.html

DC-4S6(360): https://www.ghentaudio.com/part/dc-4s6-360.html

My motherboard is currently powered by a Sotm sps500 through Ghent’s Canare starquad JSSG360 dc cable with very good results. My experiences with Ghent are very positive, highly recommanded

1 minute ago, Superdad said:

Terje:

You ought to disclose in your signature that you are a member of the trade. That is a rule on this web site.

And the fact that you are also a reseller of SOtM products brings questions of bias.  http://www.andervikaudio.no/andre-produkter/

By the way, plenty of other comparisons between the SOtM sPS-500 and the UpTone UltraCap LPS-1.2 have been made and published--here in this thread and elsewhere--with quite the opposite results.  So we invite readers to try for themselves.

Regards,

--Alex C.

I thought that review seemed suspicious based not only on the findings but also on how it was written.

9 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Terje:

You ought to disclose in your signature that you are a member of the trade. That is a rule on this web site.

And the fact that you are also a reseller of SOtM products brings questions of bias.  http://www.andervikaudio.no/andre-produkter/

By the way, plenty of other comparisons between the SOtM sPS-500 and the UpTone UltraCap LPS-1.2 have been made and published--here in this thread and elsewhere--with quite the opposite results.  So we invite readers to try for themselves.

Regards,

--Alex C.

Thank you Superdad, I was not aware that there was a rule for telling that I was a member of the trade, but this seems like a good rule.

There have been other comparisons with opposite results regarding Sotm and LPS powersupplyes, and that is the reason for me writing this. I have tested the LPS-1 one time and the LPS-1.2 two times. And the SPS-500 has been the better power without doubt in my tests. My friend who own the LPS power I tested also agree in what i wrote. I think it would be wrong of me to not enlighten auphile that there are different experiences, and in this way encourage to test themselves.

Andervik Audio

5 minutes ago, Lebouwsky said:

Even these are offered on your website, you’re misleading readers and dishonouring the forum. 

As you see in my tips regarding feet I encourage to use other selfmade feet of aluminium or other hard materials that are of no cost if you can find something suitable in your home. 

My goal with the tips regarding feet is to share my experiences and help improving the sound.

Andervik Audio

59 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

@andervt This is your warning. Put your industry affiliation in your signature and stop advertising your own products on the forum. You can answer a question about your products if someone asks, but other than that you can't bring them up.

I apologize for breaking the rules and not have my industri affiliation in the signature. This is a good rule. Embarrassing but I just tried to make a signature but could not find where to do it. Please advice.

Andervik Audio