IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

51 minutes ago, User471 said:

I have a linux based roonserver and a separate linux based endpoint both connected via the same Netgear unmanaged switch (with an iFi PSU)

All built and setup by me, so I have some linux skills ? (mostly being able to Google a solution and use SSH, to be honest)

So I'm going to be thick here  .... apologies

What is being advocated here is to have x2 ethernet connections to my server - one direct to the switch; one direct to my endpoint

Then I install bridge-utils (I'm on Debian 9), edit /etc/network/interfaces and .... hey presto !?!?

Hi,

I'm working with my home-built Ubuntu server and was wondering if you knew how file packets were routed with a bridge in place and the renderer directly connected to the server.  Thanks.

EDIT: just reread your post and saw you're using Roon; I'm not.  Not often I get a chance to converse with another Linux user.

12 minutes ago, Darryl R said:

Hi,

I'm working with an Ubuntu server and was wondering if you knew how the the file packets were routed with the bridge in place and the renderer directly connected to the server.  Thanks.

My understanding, imperfect as it is, is as follows

With x2 bridged NICs in the server, locally stored music is routed directly to the endpoint (bypasses switch) but streamed music from WWW (eg: Tidal) comes via the (?dodgy) switch first before the server routes it to the endpoint

Hence if (big if) this all works one should be able to discern a difference between the exact same track that's played locally versus one that is streamed from the WWW (and hence goes via the switch on its way to the

endpoint)

I'd be interested if anyone has done that test

(Happy to be corrected/educated by one of the network pros out there ?)

9 minutes ago, User471 said:

My understanding, imperfect as it is, is as follows

With x2 bridged NICs in the server, locally stored music is routed directly to the endpoint (bypasses switch) but streamed music from WWW (eg: Tidal) comes via the (?dodgy) switch first before the server routes it to the endpoint

Hence if (big if) this all works one should be able to discern a difference between the exact same track that's played locally versus one that is streamed from the WWW (and hence goes via the switch on its way to the

endpoint)

I'd be interested if anyone has done that test

(Happy to be corrected/educated by one of the network pros out there ?)

This is what I'd hoped for, which is the best case scenario.  Like you, I'm using my own server (now Ubuntu 18) with a JCAT Net card between the server and the dCS NBR (renderer), but I began to doubt this flow when experiencing a slight delay with medium to larger sized files.  May I ask the source of your understanding?  The last article I found did say the bridge functioned at Layer 2, which is consistent with what you've said.

20 minutes ago, Darryl R said:

This is what I'd hoped for, which is the best case scenario.  Like you, I'm using my own server (now Ubuntu 18) with a JCAT Net card between the server and the dCS NBR (renderer), but I began to doubt this flow when experiencing a slight delay with medium to larger sized files.  May I ask the source of your understanding?  The last article I found did say the bridge functioned at Layer 2, which is consistent with what you've said.

I only know what I've read here and on similar threads on Roon Community, Audiogon etc

Assuming it does work - and various posters have got it to work - I can't logically think of any other way it could work

As I said before, I'm just waiting for the various network engineers to stop chuckling and correct me now ??

Thank you.  Don't hold your breath for the network engineers.  I've combed the web for days looking for definitive information on this and found very little.  Btw, one article I found said that the bridge is merely a pass-thru, to share the connection.

Yes it’s a software bridge, bridging two different network segments over L2. Hosts on both segments need to be in the same layer 3 IP network.

I’ve always found the bridging solution buggy and had performance issues as well so I’ve setup a routed approach which I believe accomplishes the same in a more stable and better performing way.

On my dual NIC server I’ve installed a lightweight DHCP server for the SMS-200 when one could not yet set a fixed IP. That binded to the second NIC.

In the central router of my network I’ve added a static route for the second subnet (192.168.2.0/24) in my network. This network ‘lives’ behind the 2nd NIC in my server. The gateway for this subnet is the primary interface of the server in subnet 192.168.1.0/24.

For this to work for applications not running on the server (e.g. The Roon Remote) the server needs to have IP forwarding enabled to transfer traffic between the NIC’s. This requires one simple registry change. See for example http://www.itgeared.com/articles/1066-how-to-enable-ip-forwarding-on-windows/ (yes this works on 2012 R2 too)

Since the second interface with the second subnet is local to the server it knows where to route the traffic to. Default gateway on the server is the central router so it also knows the ‘way back’ to hosts on the 1st subnet.

This method does not work for software that relies on broadcast traffic (e.g. For mDNS) like HQPlayer and Airplay. For that to work hosts need to be in the same broadcast domain, so same L2 network. For Roon, which does not need that, it works great.

With all this NUC/AL experimentation I’ll need to look into how to do this on Linux. :)

17 minutes ago, Darryl R said:

Thank you.  Don't hold your breath for the network engineers.  I've combed the web for days looking for definitive information on this and found very little.  Btw, one article I found said that the bridge is merely a pass-thru, to share the connection.

Did you check Wikipedia? ;)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridging_(networking)

It’s the exact same principle solved in software (Windows/Linux)

Also see: https://www.dell.com/support/article/nl/nl/nldhs1/sln266178/windows-networking-proper-use-of-a-network-bridge?lang=en for use cases, and when not to use.

14 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Yes it’s a software bridge, bridging two different network segments over L2. Hosts on both segments need to be in the same layer 3 IP network.

I’ve always found the bridging solution buggy and had performance issues as well so I’ve setup a routed approach which I believe accomplishes the same in a more stable and better performing way.

On my dual NIC server I’ve installed a lightweight DHCP server for the SMS-200 when one could not yet set a fixed IP. That binded to the second NIC.

In the central router of my network I’ve added a static route for the second subnet (192.168.2.0/24) in my network. This network ‘lives’ behind the 2nd NIC in my server. The gateway for this subnet is the primary interface of the server in subnet 192.168.1.0/24.

For this to work for applications not running on the server (e.g. The Roon Remote) the server needs to have IP forwarding enabled to transfer traffic between the NIC’s. This requires one simple registry change. See for example http://www.itgeared.com/articles/1066-how-to-enable-ip-forwarding-on-windows/ (yes this works on 2012 R2 too)

Since the second interface with the second subnet is local to the server it knows where to route the traffic to. Default gateway on the server is the central router so it also knows the ‘way back’ to hosts on the 1st subnet.

This method does not work for software that relies on broadcast traffic (e.g. For mDNS) like HQPlayer and Airplay. For Roon it works great.

With all this NUC/AL experimentation I’ll need to look into how to do this on Linux. :)

I'd be interested in what you find for Linux.  One of the reasons I switched was because bridging in Windows was such a pain.  In Ubuntu, I just use the connection editor and it's done with a few clicks and a restart (easy in Mac too).  Ubuntu 18 has a minimal install option, and I only add "Vino" to admin from my main Windows machine with VNC.

2 minutes ago, Darryl R said:

I'd be interested in what you find for Linux.  One of the reasons I switched was because bridging in Windows was such a pain.  In Ubuntu, I just use the connection editor and it's done with a few clicks and a restart (easy in Mac too).  Ubuntu 18 has a minimal install option, and add only add "Vino" to control the whole thing from my main Windows machine with VNC.

Well personally I’d like to stay away from bridging so I just need to figure out how to enable the equivalent of IP routing between two separate NICs in Linux. Haven’t searched for this yet, perhaps it’s just as easy.

17 hours ago, Bricki said:

Yes my NUC7CJYH (roon bridge) is connected directly to my chord mojo by a curious usb with JSSG 360. 

I find it hard to put a number on it and I'm sure everyones system is different. However, from my experience with roon I would say that ignoring everything before the end point is a big mistake, your system will be hamstrung. I have made many changes before my endpoint and each one has been audible. Good Ethernet cables are essential and good power supplies are essential. I also have every device and power supply on my network treated with vibration isolation on the top and bottom of each chassis, over an entire system the difference is very significant. 

Things might change when the EtherRegen is released and perhaps the system before the EtherRegen won't matter as much or even at all. But as my system is right now, every part of it contributes to the sound (even the router and how it is powered). 

So in my case, my roon server matters a lot and can contribute significantly to the sound ? ??

Thank you for the reply.  For curiosity, have you thought about using  a better DAC?  

3 hours ago, greenleo said:

Thank you for the reply.  For curiosity, have you thought about using  a better DAC?  

Of course there are better dacs than a mojo but I would rather spend my money to improve things upstream because that is where I believe the more significant bottle necks are. 

@austinpop may have an opinion about the relative benefits of improving the dac vs improving everything before the dac??

He has had a lot of recent experience with doing exactly that, so he may be able to chime in here. 

41 minutes ago, Bricki said:

Of course there are better dacs than a mojo but I would rather spend my money to improve things upstream because that is where I believe the more significant bottle necks are. 

I've had the Mojo. In my experiences (not expertise), it's USB input is much more sensitive to upstream changes than say, it's bigger brother the Hugo2...

With Hugo2, Rob Watts added a lot of focus on RF filtering on the USB input, something which Mojo only has on it's power (microUSB) input, not on the USB (data) input... and it helped Hugo2 (and Qutest) a lot...

Hugo2 is a little more sensitive to upstream changes than it's biggest brother, Dave... and Dave is not insensitive to upstream changes as romaz and others will tell you too...

Mojo to Hugo2 is a big improvement though (to my ears). Based on that, I would easily recommend putting more money to upgrading to Hugo2/Qutest before some of these tweaks that aren't cheap... initially anyway. The fun in tweaking and tinkering will always be there - we all enjoy it to different extents.

Of course if you love Mojo, ignore all the above. This is just a hobby after all, nothing life and death.

All the above is to my ears and experiences, not any expertise... and only talking about USB input...

8 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

I've had the Mojo. In my experiences (not expertise), it's USB input is much more sensitive to upstream changes than say, it's bigger brother the Hugo2...

With Hugo2, Rob Watts added a lot of focus on RF filtering on the USB input, something which Mojo only has on it's power (microUSB) input, not on the USB (data) input... and it helped a lot...

Hugo2 is a little more sensitive to upstream changes than it's biggest brother, Dave... and Dave is not insensitive to upstream changes as romaz and others will tell you too...

Mojo to Hugo2 is a big improvement though (to my ears).

All the above is to my ears and experiences, not any expertise... and only talking about USB input...

Interesting, I didn't know about the extra filtering on the Hugo 2 usb. 

Unfortunately, the Hugo 2, for me, is well outside my budget. Here in Australia it is AU$3,700... For sure I would get one if I could. For now I will have to be content with spending smaller amounts on other improvements... My pennies are being saved for the EtherRegen and hopefully it will fall within my affordable range ?

3 hours ago, sunny_time_99 said:

Hi, 

for my opinion, don´t expect too much from Ultracaps and LiFePO4. We allready use that since 2014. At first i like the idea only to listen Music out of a big cap without beeing connected to the wall. But in a direct comperision the ultracaps and the LiFePO4 were only second place behind a good regulated psu. I have tried a lot of battery/Lipo/LiFePo4/Ultracaps up to 3000F cells  during the last 25 years of Hifi - i was never satisfied. The same with  lt3045 Regulators. i really dont understand the Hype. Its a low ripple, ok, but the soundquality is only midclass. Everytime, when i use them the Sound seems to be thin for my ears. 

Kind regards

Sunny

Okay, so what is a good PSU (DIY)?

SR7 are too expensive.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

15 hours ago, Bricki said:

@austinpop may have an opinion about the relative benefits of improving the dac vs improving everything before the dac??

He has had a lot of recent experience with doing exactly that, so he may be able to chime in here. 

thats my opinion too. the last years i spend a lot time to build dac´s better and better. but in the last months we put more focus on the streamer itself. and later on server/client typol. if the frontend is state of the art - its not a big difference if i change froim my actual 9038pro design back to my beloved 14bit tpa1540. The difference - powered with the same supreme psu units - is in the same range if you change a good usb cable into a 1euro-came with the printer usbcable.

the change of sq was bigger from a futro with daphile to 2 futro with daphile in server/client mode. and if you need to have a look on the price tag... its much cheaper than spending a lot money for a new dac. better save the money an spend it on the upstream. if your ready with that...and the wallet is still full, try to update your creapy powersupply of your old dac... change the clock ... the op-amps end so on. you will learn a lot and have more fun.

regards

sunny