IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

11 minutes ago, mozes said:

It's a great brand, I used to have their entry level receiver MRX 310 and it sounded great and rivaled my 2 channel amps. The ARC feature they have is one of the best for integrating subwoofers, I tried it many times. Their new offering of separates deserve listening. On top of that you get superb service and after sale service from Anthem!

You're making my decision harder!  I've been very impressed with a couple of the pre's I auditioned.  If it comes close to that experience I'll be happy because of the added features.  Good to hear they have great service.

7 minutes ago, mozes said:

If a manufacturer doesn't reply to my emails after I sent a payment, then I am not interested in his products even if they are arguably the best!

I like to give my business to people who engage with customers before and after the sale.

Agreed.  Never again.  There were times I thought I would lose my money, then he responds.  Now I'll have to worry about support if the PSU has issues.  Based on my experience with SOtM it's night and day.  If I were to do it over I'd get an sPS-500.

28 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Hi John,

Just following up on your point about 50 ohm vs 75 ohm - is there a standard, or a specification that one can reference, that applies to both variants? For example, if I have understood this right, 50 ohm cable is supposed to conform to the RG58 specification, and 75 ohm  cable to RG59. Is there a similar designation for 50 vs. 75 ohm BNC plugs?

There are 50 ohm and 75 ohm cables and 50 ohm and 75 ohm plugs, just make sure you match them.

RG-58 is a 50 ohm cable, RG-59 is a 75 ohm cable. They do not "define the spec" for 50 or 75 ohm cables, they are just particular implementations of a 50 ohm or 75 ohm cable. There are hundreds of different 50 and 75 ohm cables (more 50 than 75), they are all the correct impedance but vary in other parameters such as diameter, flexibility, attenuation, power handling capability (for transmitters) and of course cost. If you want to overwhelmed take a look a www.pasternak.com, they have a very BROAD range of coax cables. You can get pretty much anything you could possibly ever want from them.

BTW if you want what is possibly the best coax for handling a clock you should try a semi rigid assembly from them. It is essential thin walled copper tubing with a center conductor, you "form" it to the path you want, it stays in that configuration until you "form" it again to a different path. And not cheap, they are in the $10 per foot range or more.

John S.

On 9/4/2017 at 8:33 AM, auricgoldfinger said:

Both the LPS-1 and sPS-500 are more transparent and detailed with better separation relative to the JS-2.  They improved the macro- and micro-dynamics of the microRendu.  With the stock sPS-500 A/C power cable, the two supplies are comparable, but the LPS-1 does seem to have a slight edge.  Given the cost differential, if I only wanted to power a single 3.3V, 5V, or 7V device, the LPS-1 is possibly the better choice.  (In my case, I was fortunate to buy a 1-month old sPS-500 for the price of a new LPS-1.)

The Pangea A/C power cable greatly enhances soundstage dimensionality and imparts a sense of realism that makes the LPS-1 sound lean in comparison.  Please note that this particular Pangea cable is relatively inexpensive and would never be confused with a reference power cable.

I am not the first person to have noticed the importance of the A/C power cable: 

What are you powering the LPS-1 from? Have you tried powering it from the JS-2? If you use the Mean Well you can get high frequency noise getting into your system back through the AC mains. Some systems are sensitive to this and others are not.

John S.

7 minutes ago, Always.Learning said:

Yes, I paid him $1214 USD on March 29. Despite a half dozen or more attempts to reach him by email since then, I have had zero replies to my emails. No communication whatsoever, despite the fact the before I sent the funds, we exchanged about a dozen emails over a one-week period. I also tried calling him, using the phone number on his out-of-date website, and got a recorded message that the line was no longer working. 

I've been using the email [email protected]. Has he replied to you with this email? Can you tell me what date you sent him funds and what date you expect to receive your power supply? 

Unhappy in Seattle

That's the email.  I haven't received my SR7 yet.  Hopefully I didn't jinx anything ;).

15 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

take a look a www.pasternak.com

correction should be www.pasternack.com

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Guys, can you suggest me what to do. 

I use HDPlex H5 case for my music PC. There are installed thin mini ITX mother board with JCAT net card and 1 ssd. So the half of the case is empty. On that case i put microRendu with LPS-1 and berkeley converter. Also i bought HDPlex LPSU 200W and feed with it motherboard, ssd and JCAT net card.

I want to reduce amount of boxes/cases in my setup (for at least hide them), so im thinking to put LPS-1 and microrendu inside the PC case, and feed LPS-1 with HDPlex LPSU along with music PC, ssd and JCAT. So i will exclude one noise PSU, which i used for LPS-1.

Then i would have free space on the PC case, i would put HDPlex LPSU on PC case and order for some custom very short cables, instead of default ones.

But i have few concerns about this idea.

1. Will motherboard influence somehow microrendu with its EMI noise? Should i add some metal fence between motherboard and microRendu? 

2. The same question about HDPlex LPSU, is that ok, that i put it so close to motherboard and microrendu? Maybe better to order longer cables and put this LPSU as far as possible from PC?

What do you think about that?

Thanks

dCS Network Bridge | Audio Note DAC2 Signature | Audio Note M5 Preamp | Audio Note Empress Silver Monoblocks | Audio Note AN-E/Spe HE Speakers

4 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

What are you powering the LPS-1 from? Have you tried powering it from the JS-2? If you use the Mean Well you can get high frequency noise getting into your system back through the AC mains. Some systems are sensitive to this and others are not.

John S.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I have been using the Mean Well plugged into my BPT BP-3.5 Signature balanced power transformer.  I tried using the JS-2 set at 12V, and it brought the LPS-1 back up to a more comparable level with the sPS-500 + Pangea cable (plugged into the same transformer).  However, I still find the sPS-500 bests the LPS-1.  Sorry to be the bearer of that information.

Given the improvement, I am now planning to use the JS-2 to power my 2 LPS-1's unless I end up needing the JS-2 port to power other devices that need a linear power supply.  :D

A Little Aside on Burn-in

I just returned from 6 days away from home. Just before I left, my system was finally back to full strength, but several changes were relatively recent:

• my tX-USBultra, sMS-200, and switch had just returned from Korea after being fitted with SMB connectors to replace the hard wired clock cables in the original mod
  • Brand new Digikey SMB clock cables
  • Repaired (or possibly replaced - not sure) LPS-1 feeding my tX
  • Relatively new ISO-Regen and 2 x USPCBs (about 50 hours on them)

Do all of these things need burn in? Who knows. My view is why get hot and bothered about these things. Since I was going to be gone for 6 days, there was no severe weather in the forecast (I disconnect my gear during our thunderstorms here in Texas!), and I had a spouse at home who could pull the plug in case of contingencies, I decided to let the system burn in, using my standard practice of playing ocean sounds. I turned the volume on my amp to 0. I probably could have left my amp off. Again, why sweat it?

By the time I returned, I'd put a good 150+ hours on the gear.

The result?

To my ears, a very noticeable benefit. The sound was significantly more relaxed, more airy, without a hint of harshness. All the goodness - resolution, dimensionality, micro- and macro-details were all still there, but now coupled with this profound sense of ease. To be honest, I was not expecting this. Not because I haven't experienced the benefits of burn-in before, but because the changes in the system were fairly peripheral.

So does burn in of the trifecta and associated gear matter? To my ears, emphatically - yes! I won't debate the why's and why not's since I have no basis to do so, other than empirically. But it's easy enough to do, so just set it and forget it for a few days, and you'll be pleasantly surprised!

9 minutes ago, austinpop said:

A Little Aside on Burn-in

I just returned from 6 days away from home. Just before I left, my system was finally back to full strength, but several changes were relatively recent:

• my tX-USBultra, sMS-200, and switch had just returned from Korea after being fitted with SMB connectors to replace the hard wired clock cables in the original mod
  • Brand new Digikey SMB clock cables
  • Repaired (or possibly replaced - not sure) LPS-1 feeding my tX
  • Relatively new ISO-Regen and 2 x USPCBs (about 50 hours on them)

Do all of these things need burn in? Who knows. My view is why get hot and bothered about these things. Since I was going to be gone for 6 days, there was no severe weather in the forecast (I disconnect my gear during our thunderstorms here in Texas!), and I had a spouse at home who could pull the plug in case of contingencies, I decided to let the system burn in, using my standard practice of playing ocean sounds. I turned the volume on my amp to 0. I probably could have left my amp off. Again, why sweat it?

By the time I returned, I'd put a good 150+ hours on the gear.

The result?

To my ears, a very noticeable benefit. The sound was significantly more relaxed, more airy, without a hint of harshness. All the goodness - resolution, dimensionality, micro- and macro-details were all still there, but now coupled with this profound sense of ease. To be honest, I was not expecting this. Not because I haven't experienced the benefits of burn-in before, but because the changes in the system were fairly peripheral.

So does burn in of the trifecta and associated gear matter? To my ears, emphatically - yes! I won't debate the why's and why not's since I have no basis to do so, other than empirically. But it's easy enough to do, so just set it and forget it for a few days, and you'll be pleasantly surprised!

Every audio manufacturer I've ever talked with recommends it. Whether the answer is known or not, I hear a difference and so do they. That's good enough for me. 

9 hours ago, auricgoldfinger said:

Thanks for the suggestion.  I have been using the Mean Well plugged into my BPT BP-3.5 Signature balanced power transformer.  I tried using the JS-2 set at 12V, and it brought the LPS-1 back up to a more comparable level with the sPS-500 + Pangea cable (plugged into the same transformer).  However, I still find the sPS-500 bests the LPS-1.  Sorry to be the bearer of that information.

Given the improvement, I am now planning to use the JS-2 to power my 2 LPS-1's unless I end up needing the JS-2 port to power other devices that need a linear power supply.  :D

Have you tried powering the LPS-1 with the sPS-500? I'm getting very good results doing so.

My sPS-500 with standard DC cable was clearly not as good as the LPS-1 with star quad. 

Now I'm waiting for the arrival of a star quad Y-cable for the sPS-500.

47 minutes ago, afrancois said:

Have you tried powering the LPS-1 with the sPS-500? I'm getting very good results doing so.

My sPS-500 with standard DC cable was clearly not as good as the LPS-1 with star quad. 

Really curious about your findings using a y-cable powering 2 components with one sps500. Some say it degrades the sound, while Sotm recommands it. And if it degrades, in what matter. I mean, it does save you money and rack space.

4 hours ago, afrancois said:

Thanks for the suggestion, but honestly, I'm not interested in buying expensive linear power supplies to power other expensive linear power supplies.  IMO, they ought to demonstrate value on their own or there is no point in buying them.  I already have a JS-2 (which is the lowest in the performance hierarchy), so I am willing to use it to improve the LPS-1 ONLY if I have the spare capacity.  I would never consider using the sPS-500 (highest in the performance hierarchy) to improve the LPS-1.  I have much better uses for the sPS-500.

6 hours ago, auricgoldfinger said:

Thanks for the suggestion, but honestly, I'm not interested in buying expensive linear power supplies to power other expensive linear power supplies.  IMO, they ought to demonstrate value on their own or there is no point in buying them.  I already have a JS-2 (which is the lowest in the performance hierarchy), so I am willing to use it to improve the LPS-1 ONLY if I have the spare capacity.  I would never consider using the sPS-500 (highest in the performance hierarchy) to improve the LPS-1.  I have much better uses for the sPS-500.

I see what you mean. I power the LPS-1 with the sPS-500 because of two reasons. First, the sPS-500 doesn't cut it for me with the standard cable. Second, when I use the sPS-500 to power the LPS-1 that in turn powers the sMS-200 ultra, I no longer have these very faint clicks. Something like a very small impurity in a vinyl record? I guess that my standard LPS, that I used to power two LPS-1 had some difficulties doing so and kicked back something in my chain.

3 minutes ago, afrancois said:

I see what you mean. I power the LPS-1 with the sPS-500 because of two reasons. First, the sPS-500 doesn't cut it for me with the standard cable. Second, when I use the sPS-500 to power the LPS-1 that in turn powers the sMS-200 ultra, I no longer have these very faint clicks. Something like a very small impurity in a vinyl record? I guess that my standard LPS, that I used to power two LPS-1 had some difficulties doing so and kicked back something in my chain.

You may want to consider an aftermarket power cable for your sPS-500.  See my comments here: 

and here:

On 9/7/2017 at 7:14 PM, JohnSwenson said:

There are 50 ohm and 75 ohm cables and 50 ohm and 75 ohm plugs, just make sure you match them.

RG-58 is a 50 ohm cable, RG-59 is a 75 ohm cable. They do not "define the spec" for 50 or 75 ohm cables, they are just particular implementations of a 50 ohm or 75 ohm cable. There are hundreds of different 50 and 75 ohm cables (more 50 than 75), they are all the correct impedance but vary in other parameters such as diameter, flexibility, attenuation, power handling capability (for transmitters) and of course cost. If you want to overwhelmed take a look a www.pasternak.com, they have a very BROAD range of coax cables. You can get pretty much anything you could possibly ever want from them.

BTW if you want what is possibly the best coax for handling a clock you should try a semi rigid assembly from them. It is essential thin walled copper tubing with a center conductor, you "form" it to the path you want, it stays in that configuration until you "form" it again to a different path. And not cheap, they are in the $10 per foot range or more.

John S.

Hi @JohnSwenson,

Could you kindly confirm the link you gave above for the coax cables ? Seems this link is point to an artist web site. Thanks ;)

Thanks for the write up. Have enyojed the ISO Regen/LPS -1 bundle a couple of days combined with soTm sms 200 ultra and TX USB Ultra , it is a large jump in SQ. I don`t have the clocked switch though. Feeding the internal DAC in my Vinnie Rossi integrated LIO amp.

No Lushcable but 2 very good USB cables from Triode Wire Labs TWL, ( Strange that these are not seen here more often) They are perhaps more famous for their powercables. 

Vinnie Rossi LIO integrated amp with DAC, Sotm SMS-200 ultra/TX USB ultra, powered by an Uptone LPS-1 Audiostore Roonserver powered by a  HD plex PS. ASUS router AC 68 powered by a Teddy pardo PS, 

Speakers are standmounts Klångedang T1 with external crossover , Rega Planar 3 Lejonklou Slipsik phonostage