IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

56 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Thanks. 

I think this is the correct link. 

https://www.banggood.com/CPS-3205C-0-32V-0-5A-Portable-Adjustable-DC-Power-Supply-180-264V-p-974495.html?rmmds=search

And it's sold out. 

If you want the C version it is the one. Otherwise my link was the right one. But all mine are the new version but without active FPC (as I like it).

2 minutes ago, Kritpoon said:

Thank you! For this price, I might want to give it a try replacing my NAS stock SMPS with the Gopherts to see if there are any improvements.

Your welcome Kritpoon! ? I am sure it will be an improvement to stock SMPS. If you use starquad DC cables and starquad AC cables your smile will be even wider when you think how much you spent on it! ?

2 minutes ago, austinpop said:

I would be interested in that too! Please do let me know what you learn.

Will do... the only reasonbly priced LPS I found was from Teradak that can do the required Voltage and Current 

http://www.teradak.com/products/98.html

Will contact them too see the pricing and if they know the pinout connection to DS916+. 

"Its the REF clock that makes it all so good..."

1 minute ago, Cornan said:

Your welcome Kritpoon! ? I am sure it will be an improvement to stock SMPS. If you use starquad DC cables and starquad AC cables your smile will be even wider when you think how much you spent on it! ?

Great!!! Now I'll have to contact Ghent to see if he can make me a cable with the suiting connectors!

18 minutes ago, Kritpoon said:

Will do... the only reasonbly priced LPS I found was from Teradak that can do the required Voltage and Current 

http://www.teradak.com/products/98.html

Will contact them too see the pricing and if they know the pinout connection to DS916+. 

Yes that's a good idea. I had contacted them a few months ago about an LPS for the DS916+, and Michael had recommended a DC-150W (12V@10A) for $289 shipped. In fact the picture I posted was from him. So they must know the required pinout for that connector.

4 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Yes that's a good idea. I had contacted them a few months ago about an LPS for the DS916+, and Michael had recommended a DC-150W (12V@10A) for $289 shipped. In fact the picture I posted was from him. So they must know the required pinout for that connector.

Thank you for the information austinpop. The other manufacturer I have contacted also quoted 12v@10A for DS916+. Which he also personally own NAS and use that spec to run his NAS. Though his pricing for his LPS is quite expensive @ USD1,000.

19 minutes ago, austinpop said:

So my trifecta is back, and working great with the modular SMB connectors! It sounds about the same as before - which is good. The DIgikey cables I got are 0.3m (1ft), while the hardwired cables I had before were 0.2m, so I was worried that may degrade the sound.

Last night, I wanted to experiment with replacing USPCBs with Curious cables, and ended up with a configuration that just made me laugh. I have to post a picture. I know I've said that the ISO-Regen sounds more airy, now here's the proof. :D

IMG_0086.thumb.JPG.577a2ee126d51dff65942002ff909a18.JPG

IMG_0085.thumb.JPG.cefac5880e417b760097555cde4df7b4.JPG

Great stuff! Looks complicated to turn on, otherwise I see only eye candy for audiophiles! ? 

29 minutes ago, austinpop said:

So my trifecta is back, and working great with the modular SMB connectors! It sounds about the same as before - which is good. The DIgikey cables I got are 0.3m (1ft), while the hardwired cables I had before were 0.2m, so I was worried that may degrade the sound.

Last night, I wanted to experiment with replacing USPCBs with Curious cables, and ended up with a configuration that just made me laugh. I have to post a picture. I know I've said that the ISO-Regen sounds more airy, now here's the proof. :D

IMG_0086.thumb.JPG.577a2ee126d51dff65942002ff909a18.JPG

IMG_0085.thumb.JPG.cefac5880e417b760097555cde4df7b4.JPG

Looks great :) no need for any heat sinks for the IR now

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

Hi R1200CL!

Yes, I have two of those. One as it is pre my Voltcraft 1134>main router and one special made in-line version pre my Peaktech 2240 safety IT.

I have also just ordered a BlueWalker Powerwalker 1200VA AC mains voltage regulator or roughly $45 incl freight to see if it will improve both video quality and SQ pre my router. 

https://www.komplett.se/product/925449/datorutrustning/kringutrustning/ups-overspanning/overspanningsskydd/bluewalker-powerwalker-avr-1200

12 hours ago, austinpop said:

In posting the funny pictures, I forgot to describe the experiment. I wanted to compare:

• sMS > Curious > ISO-R > Curious > tX > Lush against
  • sMS > USPCB 90º > ISO-R > USPCB > tX > Lush.

Yes, the latter was achievable, with some playing with coasters (for raising pieces to align ports). Here's a picture with the successful 2-USPCB configuration.

IMG_0087.thumb.JPG.1e2bf41bfec29955a848d2a57fd29409.JPG

Net Result:

Definitely, the 2 x USPCB configuration sounds better. This is a subtle difference at best, but it does feel the USPCB config sounds a bit more coherent, with better micro-details. Remember, in both cases, the cable to the DAC from the tX is the Lush.

Interesting little experiment, but one that was pending for a while.

This is a great idea.  I'm going to do it instead of a USB cable.

I have an extension of the bridged NIC idea that launched this thread.  

Even though ethernet transformers are galvanically isolated, people have reported better sound quality with passive ethernet isolators like Baaske or Emo Systems.  I figured I'd try something similar with this new iFi iGalvanic3.0 device.

My bridged NIC consists of an Asus PCIe wifi card (which I use to access the internet) and a Startech USB3 ethernet adapter plugged into an iGalvanic3.0 which is hardwired via BJC Cat 6A to my microRendu. 

USB3 port => iFi USB3 cable => iGalvanic3.0 => Startech USB3 ethernet adapter => BJC Cat 6A => microRendu 1.4/LPS-1

So instead of using the Intel ethernet NIC on the motherboard to connect to the microRendu, I'm using a galvanically isolated USB3 NIC.

The rest of the chain looks like this

microRendu 1.4/LPS-1 => USPCB => female B to female A adapter => micro iDSD

My early listening says this sounds better than a passive isolator, and certainly better than the motherboard NIC.

There are many things we can do to further enhance this solution, but I'll put those ideas in a separate post.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's