IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

3 minutes ago, phusis said:

Steve Plaskin over at audiostream.com favored the sPS-500 (with 9V output) over the LPS-1 in conjunction with the sMS-200ultra. And, with the sPS-500 the sMS-200ultra can also be run in 12V mode (optional unit) - by many the preferred voltage setting here. Bear in mind also that poster @romaz impressions of the sPS-500 were found with that PSU only having few hours under the hood. From experience I know the sPS-500 benefits from rather substantial burn-in, i.e. some 3-400 hours.

Good points! YMMV.

19 hours ago, austinpop said:

That said, I do want to ask that discussion of "how this works" and "why this works" be spawned off on a new thread. In fact, I seem to remember someone doing that early on, for precisely this topic. If you can find that thread, it would be the perfect place for this discussion.

This current thread is firmly rooted in empirical findings based on listening impressions. Clearly, it has proven helpful and beneficial to many. I would like to keep it that way. I want people to report what they hear, without being asked to prove it at every step.

I know this isn't what you intended, @Confused, so this isn't a knock on you at all. I just used your post to make a larger point. There is an unfortunate trend on CA at the moment of threads getting derailed by "deniers." As OP-designate, I have the right, according to Chris, to declare a topic to be for listening impressions only.

I so declare for this thread!

Worry not, I can take a knock or two!  That said, I do like the logic of having this thread to cover the experimentation and listening impressions, with any 'other stuff' diverted into it's own thread.  Makes perfect sense to me.  I have tentative plans to try something SOtM 'clock chain' related myself (& maybe Mutec REF10 related), but this plan is on hold for a couple of months, as I am waiting for details of Devialet's new 'OS Core Intelligence' streamer board.  (I have a Devialet 1000 Pro)  So I am keen that this thread remains 'un-derailed' for as long as possible!:)  Meanwhile, I shall be a very interested observer.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

3 hours ago, Confused said:

Worry not, I can take a knock or two!  That said, I do like the logic of having this thread to cover the experimentation and listening impressions, with any 'other stuff' diverted into it's own thread.  Makes perfect sense to me.  I have tentative plans to try something SOtM 'clock chain' related myself (& maybe Mutec REF10 related), but this plan is on hold for a couple of months, as I am waiting for details of Devialet's new 'OS Core Intelligence' streamer board.  (I have a Devialet 1000 Pro)  So I am keen that this thread remains 'un-derailed' for as long as possible!:)  Meanwhile, I shall be a very interested observer.

Change your name from Confused to Open Minded please. Cheers

On 08/29/2017 at 10:22 PM, phusis said:

Steve Plaskin over at audiostream.com favored the sPS-500 (with 9V output) over the LPS-1 in conjunction with the sMS-200ultra. And, with the sPS-500 the sMS-200ultra can also be run in 12V mode (optional unit) - by many the preferred voltage setting here. Bear in mind also that poster @romaz impressions of the sPS-500 were found with that PSU only having few hours under the hood. From experience I know the sPS-500 benefits from rather substantial burn-in, i.e. some 3-400 hours. Poster @Bamber found the LPS-1 "better," yes, but that was the only word used to come about his impressions; surely we need some elaborated views describing (i.e. an actual, descriptive approach than merely "better") the sonics of both fully run-in units before any assessments can be made. 

Thanks @phusis

so I'd still like to hear if possible the impressions of those here who have compared both after proper burn-in times on the sPS-500 and LPS-1. I get the sense that it's a close call.

I wonder if Uptone Audio intends to launch a future model covering the 9-12V range. It would fit the requirements of many devices from routers, switches, DACs, and players.

On 29/08/2017 at 9:03 PM, Lebouwsky said:

Change your name from Confused to Open Minded please. Cheers

Ummmm.  I am not entirely sure that changing my name from 'Confused' to 'Open Minded' on a forum populated (presumably) by mainly middle aged men would consistently yield the results the I am after.  So I will stick to being Confused thanks.  (It's allegedly ironic, although opinions may differ on this)  I get the sentiment though, for which I am grateful.  Open minded is good!  Far more fun than closed minded I would say.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

4 hours ago, fibonacci1618 said:

Thanks @phusis

so I'd still like to hear if possible the impressions of those here who have compared both after proper burn-in times on the sPS-500 and LPS-1. I get the sense that it's a close call.

I wonder if Uptone Audio intends to launch a future model covering the 9-12V range. It would fit the requirements of many devices from routers, switches, DACs, and players.

As @paulhynes posted a few months ago, he is working on an SR4 model, that will have the goodness of the SR7, but for lower current digital gear - upto 2A, if I recall.

That may be another one to keep an eye on, in addition to the LPS-1 and the VR Mini.

On 29-8-2017 at 1:20 AM, simonklp said:

Let's look forward to hearing others, who are using HQPlayer and have deployed sCLK-EX based Ultra chains or similar, to share their experiences.

HQP is very good as an engine processing Roon output without upsampling/converting. Give it a try using 'none, none, auto, auto' as settings. In my system this is much better than straight Roon. 

Pink Faun Streamer —>  Pink Faun DAC --> Ayre AX5 --> Paradigm S8 

5 minutes ago, m3lraaHnevetS said:

HQP is very good as an engine processing Roon output without upsampling/converting. Give it a try using 'none, none, auto, auto' as settings. In my system this is much better than straight Roon. 

Re the chain, I am about to receive an Ultrarendu, Isoregen and lps-1. already have some other stuff like the sonore signature power supply, Jcat femto and hdplex 100watt lps. I will be testing some configs, including powering switch/nas/router in the coming weeks and will report back if I feel like it. 

Pink Faun Streamer —>  Pink Faun DAC --> Ayre AX5 --> Paradigm S8 

On 28.8.2017 at 11:11 PM, Bruce Orr said:

What is the best Paul Hynes "model" to power a Netgear Nighthawk router. It requires a maximum of 34 watts. Do models like the S3, 5 or 7 come with socket plugcord AND a connecting cord with appropriate male jack for the router?  Is a separate regulator of some kind needed?

How about trying Gophert ?

http://www.dx.com/no/p/gophert-cps-3205-5a-32v-160w-portable-adjustable-dc-power-supply-black-eu-plug-396460#.Waflkno8yhD

@Cornan is a big fan of those, and claims very good results. 

52 minutes ago, afrancois said:

For a review see https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1642&v=yIx_VWWgKUI

I've just ordered one (the new CPS-3205C)

A tip to maximize the (minor) investment with the cps-3205II or 3205C (C is almost exactly the same except for the active FPC found in the C version) is to get yourself (or build yourself) Canare 4S6 starquad DC cables and use starquad ac mains cable for it. It makes quite a difference!  If you have a isolation transformer with floating secondary close by connect the Gophert to it. I promise you're in for a surprice! :)

🎛️  Audio System  

42 minutes ago, Cornan said:

A tip to maximize the (minor) investment with the cps-3205II or 3205C (C is almost exactly the same except for the active FPC found in the C version) is to get yourself (or build yourself) Canare 4S6 starquad DC cables and use starquad ac mains cable for it. It makes quite a difference!  If you have a isolation transformer with floating secondary close by connect the Gophert to it. I promise you're in for a surprice! :)

All my computer equipment and Hifi rig is connected to an APC UPS http://www.apc.com/shop/au/en/products/APC-Smart-UPS-RT-1000VA-230V/P-SURT1000XLI.  So my AC is completely regenerated from batteries.

Would I benefit from a Topaz Ultra Isolator?

8 minutes ago, afrancois said:

All my computer equipment and Hifi rig is connected to an APC UPS http://www.apc.com/shop/au/en/products/APC-Smart-UPS-RT-1000VA-230V/P-SURT1000XLI.  So my AC is completely regenerated from batteries.

Would I benefit from a Topaz Ultra Isolator?

In short, Yes indeed! Just add the Topas post the APC, and IMO rather go for a Topaz with floating secondary than a Ultra with grounded secondary. Floating IT sounds better than Ultra IT to me! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

21 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Did you make one yourself ? From Canare 4S6 ?

Where is best to purchase the latest versions of 3205  ?

Here is a reply to Em2016 with the same question:

If you read further down the thread you get some info how they are constructed as well. ;)

I have bought my 4 Gopherts from Banggood.com https://www.banggood.com/GOPHERT-CPS-3205-0-32V-0-5A-Portable-Adjustable-DC-Power-Supply-110V220V-p-934530.html?rmmds=search

It have works great every time (and I buy quite a lot of other electronics from Banggood in general)! If you are not in a hurry I can recommend that you register and click on "Report lower price" or "Price alert" to get noticed when the price is reduced. They frequently reduces the price on them. I got two of mine for roughly SEK760 (~$95) excl. custom charges.

🎛️  Audio System  

On 8/31/2017 at 9:35 AM, Cornan said:

This is a very interesting idea, but I don't want separate +/- leads.  Have you ever seen a similar product with a 2.5mm or 2.1mm plug instead?

3 hours ago, Cornan said:

No, I have´nt seen it! However, it is very easy to build your own DC cables using Canare 4S6, 4mm banana plugs and DC2.1/5.5mm screw terminal plugs. It will look like this and takes roughly 5 minutes to build! :)

IMG_6362.thumb.JPG.0537bcf1f2affe1d427535070995d927.JPG

Here is another version with screw terminal USB A female plug (for 5v USB injection). On the picture with the ATL starquad power cable is also visable. The other picture was from an experiment.

IMG_6287.thumb.JPG.84f7aad0e9343e07613c9cf796ed5db4.JPG

I took the plunge and bought a CPS-1610 16V 10A so I can power my NAS.  I have a spare high quality AC mains cable, and I'm having Ghent build me a Canare 4S6 DC cable.  It costs $40 but I know it will be done professionally in contrast to my build quality.  Hopefully, it will be a cost effective upgrade.

4 minutes ago, auricgoldfinger said:

I took the plunge and bought a CPS-1610 16V 10A so I can power my NAS.  I have a spare high quality AC mains cable, and I'm having Ghent build me a Canare 4S6 DC cable.  It costs $40 but I know it will be done professionally in contrast to my build quality.  Hopefully, it will be a cost effective upgrade.

Cool! I look forward to hearing what difference/improvement that makes.

What model NAS do you have? Does you NAS have a special connector like mine does, below?

nhenepfobdikoccm.thumb.png.ae221bea6c21e1bf6b5b525a3bcafce6.png

13 hours ago, Cornan said:

Here is a reply to Em2016 with the same question:

If you read further down the thread you get some info how they are constructed as well. ;)

I have bought my 4 Gopherts from Banggood.com https://www.banggood.com/GOPHERT-CPS-3205-0-32V-0-5A-Portable-Adjustable-DC-Power-Supply-110V220V-p-934530.html?rmmds=search

It have works great every time (and I buy quite a lot of other electronics from Banggood in general)! If you are not in a hurry I can recommend that you register and click on "Report lower price" or "Price alert" to get noticed when the price is reduced. They frequently reduces the price on them. I got two of mine for roughly SEK760 (~$95) excl. custom charges.

Thanks. 

I think this is the correct link. 

https://www.banggood.com/CPS-3205C-0-32V-0-5A-Portable-Adjustable-DC-Power-Supply-180-264V-p-974495.html?rmmds=search

And it's sold out. 

4 hours ago, austinpop said:

Cool! I look forward to hearing what difference/improvement that makes.

What model NAS do you have? Does you NAS have a special connector like mine does, below?

nhenepfobdikoccm.thumb.png.ae221bea6c21e1bf6b5b525a3bcafce6.png

I am also trying to get the pin layout for this too (I also have DS916+) and also looking to replace the stock SMPS with LPS. 

"Its the REF clock that makes it all so good..."