IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

On 6/27/2017 at 4:40 PM, paulhynes said:

Hello Greenleo,

I agree that the SR7 is not a piece the majority can afford. So I have designed a lower power version of the SR7 to fit into an elongated SR3 chassis and this will be designated the SR4. This is a single rail supply and the continuous current rating will be 2A with a transient current rating of 20A. The SR4 has switched outputs of 5/7/9/12V, which should cover most of the digital interface equipment power requirements and the 2A output is available at all the voltage settings as the elongated chassis allows for the extra heat dissipation at lower voltage settings.

A new manufacturing facility is currently in preparation here in South Uist and I expect this to start operating in September/October.

The SR4 is in production engineering at present and I plan to have this available “Off the Shelf”, as a standard version to replace the SR3 in small quantities initially, from September/October to coincide with the new manufacturing facility start. Price will be circa £330 (currently $421) for all countries excluding Europe where VAT (Value Added Tax) will have to be added to comply with local tax legislation. Customisation outside the range of 5/12v is possible but this will be a made to order option and additional cost may apply for this depending on the level of customisation.

Regards

Paul

Paul Hynes Design

Hi Paul

(or anyone else) Is there any more info on the SR4, release dates and ordering info? If not Paul can anyone point me to where I can find out more?

Many thanks in advance

Patrick

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

Patrick,

I asked Paul about this a couple weeks ago. His best guess was end-Sept/early Oct.

Here is a bit more detail from his email. I hope he doesn't mind my posting it here!

"To answer your questions regarding the SR4,

1)    I revised the printed circuit board layout of the SR4 to reduce the chassis machining requirements, which caused a delay with the production boards. I am reluctant to take pre orders until I have verified the electrical and sonic performance of these revised boards and it will be approx 2 weeks before they arrive. Once I am happy with the performance I will begin producing them and taking orders. I have all the other materials in stock to produce the first batch so I expect this to be towards the end of September/early October if all goes according to plan.
2)    The overall specification will be the same as the SR7 rails with the exception of available power delivery and the regulator output within current ratings will be below 3 milliohms.
3)    All my power supplies are galvanically isolated from AC ground and the supply rails are completely floating with respect to chassis earth as this eliminates interaction when using multiple power supply rails in a sound system. The mains transformers are configured as balanced transformers with balanced Schottky rectification to provide a high degree of common mode isolation from mains even before the voltage regulator supply rejection is factored in. You should not have any problems with leakage current artefacts when using these power supplies."

On 14.09.2017 at 4:38 AM, hurka said:

Mr Jos alredy use it:)

TB2byygaX55V1Bjy0FoXXbVjFXa_!!40589917.jpg

What is the company name ? Tried to google 'Jos Audio', but got nowhere.

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

the regulator output within current ratings will be below 3 milliohms.

Can someone please explain what that means?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

19 minutes ago, rickca said:

Can someone please explain what that means?

Rick, it refers to output impedance. See this post for more details:

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-the-sms-200-and-microrendu/?do=findComment&comment=676168

It is a reference to the spec for the SR7, which was:

Output impedance < 3 milliohms DC to 100 KHz

Low output impedance is a key measure of a PSU's quality, and 3 milliohm over that frequency range is rather impressive.

18 hours ago, austinpop said:

Patrick,

I asked Paul about this a couple weeks ago. His best guess was end-Sept/early Oct.

Here is a bit more detail from his email. I hope he doesn't mind my posting it here!

"To answer your questions regarding the SR4,

1)    I revised the printed circuit board layout of the SR4 to reduce the chassis machining requirements, which caused a delay with the production boards. I am reluctant to take pre orders until I have verified the electrical and sonic performance of these revised boards and it will be approx 2 weeks before they arrive. Once I am happy with the performance I will begin producing them and taking orders. I have all the other materials in stock to produce the first batch so I expect this to be towards the end of September/early October if all goes according to plan.
2)    The overall specification will be the same as the SR7 rails with the exception of available power delivery and the regulator output within current ratings will be below 3 milliohms.
3)    All my power supplies are galvanically isolated from AC ground and the supply rails are completely floating with respect to chassis earth as this eliminates interaction when using multiple power supply rails in a sound system. The mains transformers are configured as balanced transformers with balanced Schottky rectification to provide a high degree of common mode isolation from mains even before the voltage regulator supply rejection is factored in. You should not have any problems with leakage current artefacts when using these power supplies."

Thanks Rajiv, appreciate the update. I take it the only way to get info is by emailing Paul. 

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

25 minutes ago, auricgoldfinger said:

I would like to share my impressions from adding an isolating transformer with a floating secondary along with a DC voltage regulator/power supply to my system.  Thanks go to @Cornan for posting the concept and recommending the Gophert power supply (I am using a CPS-1610 16V 10A model) and @austinpop for recommending the BK Precision 1604A isolating transformer.

My objective was to improve the power supply to my Synology DS213+ NAS, where all of my music files reside.  Frankly, my expectations were low, but since the financial outlay was relatively small, I decided to give it a try.

I received the isolating transformer first.  There was a perceptible improvement, but I was not especially excited about the result.  However, after installing the Gophert, I heard a very dramatic improvement in sound quality.  Music became much more detailed and dynamic, images sharpened, and the soundstage deepened.  I heard the magic to which @Cornan has previously alluded.  (I am still only using the stock cable for the isolating transformer.  @Cornan says to expect further improvement from a star-quad ac power cable.)

I have now ordered a Tripp Lite IS500HG (with 4 outlets) and another Gophert for my router.  Before setting it up with the router, I plan to experiment using it to power my microRendu, ISO REGEN, and tX-USBultra.  The mR and IR are currently powered by separate LPS-1’s, and the tX-USBultra is powered by an sPS-500 with Pangea ac cable.  I am anticipating some interesting results.

Very cool!

Please keep us posted. I'm glad you Went-pher-it! :D

On 9/14/2017 at 9:49 PM, paulhynes said:

Hey Guys,

Give me a break. You requested a custom build service to provide a bespoke product that is not generally available off the shelf and certainly, according to all reports, not available elsewhere at this high level of performance. Custom build is completely different form ordering an off the shelf item which can be shipped out as soon as the packing and paperwork is completed.

Firstly my products are very popular (I guess this is my fault for designing products people like) and this also guarantees there will be a queue often with long lead times. Secondly, my ordering terms do state that lead times are estimates and unforeseen circumstances can affect lead times. How many unforeseen circumstances occur in any given time frame is unpredictable and they do happen, hence the inclusion in my ordering terms. I mean you no disrespect but I have to say that if you are not able to accept such terms of ordering, please do not order products from me. In future buy something off the shelf and accept the resulting performance level you will get from such sources.

Regards

Paul

Thank you Paul

I have ordered Custom SR7 to Paul and i guess delivery time is more than 4 month .

I think some guys are worry about the long delivery time but i think we should thanks Paul for accepting custom orders.

I am really happy because Paul build my order exactly upon my custom order.

4 month or 5 month or 6 month, delivery time is not important to me and i just like to get a good sound .

guys , please be patient and let Paul to be relax .

excuse me for off-topic.

Regards,

Amir

It's super interesting to see Roy's link in his previous post

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-blu-mk-2-the-official-thread.831343/page-83#post-13679993

The chief designer of an immensely popular product is actually willing to fly all the way to another continent for an audition, that's gonna be THE ultimate test for an engineer's theories versus a customer's practices IMHO.

Regarding BNC clock cables,  his experiences seemed to be quite consistent with the others who purchased a different master clock

On 9/17/2017 at 9:14 AM, romaz said:

Lastly, with regards to clock cables, I have explored this to some extent although I have a few other clock cables coming in.  With the Habst cables against a 0.5m Pasternack RG-59 (about $40) and a 0.5m Blue Jeans Cables RG-6 with Canare BNCs ($17), there's no contest, unfortunately.  With these lesser cables, there is an obvious HF glare that is present.  I can get used to it and things can sound pretty good but as soon as I swap in the Habst, the improvement in detail clarity and the disappearance of this glare is very apparent.  If someone is contemplating an inexpensive clock cable, I would suggest the less expensive Blue Jeans Cables over the Pasternack.  Whether this is because RG-6 is better shielded and has less signal attenuation then RG-59, it's hard to say but one seems to sound a little better than the other although the difference is small.  Next week, I have a Black Cat Silver Star 75 coming in.  It is supposed to play in the league of the big boys at a more affordable price point of $250 and so we'll see.

BTW, he's still talking about a "plain vanilla" DFI BW171 and I wonder if that custom-built motherboard were coming soon?

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-the-sms-200-and-microrendu/?page=74&tab=comments#comment-663405

10 hours ago, auricgoldfinger said:

Thanks go to @Cornan for posting the concept and recommending the Gophert power supply (I am using a CPS-1610 16V 10A model) and @austinpop for recommending the BK Precision 1604A isolating transformer.

My objective was to improve the power supply to my Synology DS213+ NAS, where all of my music files reside.  Frankly, my expectations were low, but since the financial outlay was relatively small, I decided to give it a try.

I received the isolating transformer first.  There was a perceptible improvement, but I was not especially excited about the result.  However, after installing the Gophert, I heard a very dramatic improvement in sound quality.  Music became much more detailed and dynamic, images sharpened, and the soundstage deepened.  I heard the magic to which @Cornan has previously alluded. 

This is good to hear.  I have a Synology DS216j, which is still being powered by the supplied adapter.  I think I will buy this Gophert model, which as you say is relatively inexpensive.  What dc lead are you using to connect it to the Synology?  

I don't think BK supply isolation transformers with UK voltage so I will have to look for something similar.

Zenith SE > USPCB (5v off) > tX-USBultra 9V (SR4) > Sablon Reserva Elite USB > M Scaler > WAVE Stream bnc > DAVE > Prion4/Lazuli Reference > Utopia/LCD-4/HE1000se

9 minutes ago, str-1 said:

I don't think BK supply isolation transformers with UK voltage so I will have to look for something similar.

Here is something to consider https://airlinktransformers.com/product/standard-balanced-power-supply-bps1500

It is a balanced isolation transformer with grounded secondary. 

Otherwise I can highly recommend the Peaktech 2240 which is a isolation transformer with floating secondary. I use this myself.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PeakTech-Isolation-Transformer-500-W-1-x-2240/dp/B0067K0ESA

🎛️  Audio System  

33 minutes ago, Cornan said:

Here is something to consider https://airlinktransformers.com/product/standard-balanced-power-supply-bps1500

It is a balanced isolation transformer with grounded secondary. 

Otherwise I can highly recommend the Peaktech 2240 which is a isolation transformer with floating secondary. I use this myself.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PeakTech-Isolation-Transformer-500-W-1-x-2240/dp/B0067K0ESA

Thanks for these suggestions. I'm afraid I have little technical knowledge and don't know what the relative merits are of grounded and floating secondaries.

Zenith SE > USPCB (5v off) > tX-USBultra 9V (SR4) > Sablon Reserva Elite USB > M Scaler > WAVE Stream bnc > DAVE > Prion4/Lazuli Reference > Utopia/LCD-4/HE1000se

On 9/13/2017 at 9:17 PM, hurka said:

This time just the plan,but I have some U caps board 16v(max) 20F 6pcs fed my atx mobo before,i think this is the finest psu in this (50-50.000$)range:D

Thanks for the details,..best of luck with all those mods!

Legacy Audio CaliberXD custom, dual Legacy Foundation Subs with Legacy Wavelet, Esoteric P-02, D-02, C-02, and A-02, Cybershaft Custom Premium Limited OP21 10 mHz Clock, SHUNYATA TRITON v3 & TYPHON QR, Environmental Potentials EP-2050 & EP2750, CH Copper Busbar Main & GE Sub-panel, 20-amp dedicated circuits, Dual 10’ Ground Rods, CADWELD bonding, Avatar Acoustics AfterBurner8 duplexes (5), Elrod MASTER SERIES Statement Gold Powercords (4), Elrod Statement Gold Powercords (2), Elrod Statement Silver Powercords (1), Elrod Statement Gold XLR (2 pair), Shunyata SIGMA AES/EBU 110ohm (2), Shunyata SIGMA CLOCK-50 (3), Shunyata SIGMA XLR, Shunyata Anaconda Zitron XLR, B.M.C. PureUSB1, Elrod Statement Gold custom speaker cables, Elrod MASTERS SERIES SG JUMPERS (4), Adona AV45CS4, AV45, Composite Audio CF-2010, HRS DPX Damping Plates (11), Stillpoints UltraSS w/Ultra Bases

Computer Audio/Rip Playback: Apple MacBook Pro 15” 2019, 6-core i9, 32 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD (Music Library, Playback S/W & O/S here), Audirvana+ v3, iTunes, etc….

14 minutes ago, str-1 said:

Thanks for these suggestions. I'm afraid I have little technical knowledge and don't know what the relative merits are of grounded and floating secondaries.

The isolation transformer with floating secondary is the same as the CA famous Topaz that I am sure that you have heard about a lot. It will isolate the grounds completely between ac mains and your deives. The mains are unbalanced (for example 120v/120v or 60v/60v). A balanced isolation transformer with grounded secondary will ensure a balanced ac mains (se above) but the secondary is connected to ground and therefore the isolation is not as good between the ac main and the connected devices, but it is safer.

To give you a simple advice. If you are using mainly a digital chain with not too powerful analogue devices in the chain look for a isolation transformer with floating secondary for starters. If you have big amps and subs look for a isolation transformer with grounded secondary, such as the balanced isolation transformer. 

Now, I do not want to make this complicated, but there are another great option as well. A balanced isolation transformer can be turned into a balanced isolation transformer with floating secondary as well. However, this option is much more unsafe than other options since both primary and secondary are live and secondary winding not grounded. You are not very well protected if anything goes wrong. Anyway, IMO this in absolutely not an option for a beginner.

🎛️  Audio System  

13 hours ago, austinpop said:

BTW @auricgoldfinger - what is the path from your NAS to your mR?

What components and cables?

You forced me to finally complete my profile.  Hopefully, you'll find the answers you seek there.  :D

I also have in my possession a Linksys switch with SOtM mods that will be clocked by the tX-USBultra as well as a NIC for the Windows 7 PC that will be used for a network bridge.  I plan to install these items in the very near future when my schedule permits.

Hopefully, I will complete the SOtM trifecta in 2018 with an sMS-200Ultra (silver wire mod).

14 hours ago, auricgoldfinger said:

I have now ordered a Tripp Lite IS500HG (with 4 outlets) and another Gophert for my router.  Before setting it up with the router, I plan to experiment using it to power my microRendu, ISO REGEN, and tX-USBultra.  The mR and IR are currently powered by separate LPS-1’s, and the tX-USBultra is powered by an sPS-500 with Pangea ac cable.  I am anticipating some interesting results.

Great to hear that you are happy with the Gophert auricgoldfinger! :)

Looking forward to read about your further impressions. Do try to use the Gophert as a feeder supply for LPS-1. I would be very interested how that would turn out. I know @Abtr have intensions to try this out as well, but I have´nt seen anything from him just yet. :ph34r:

🎛️  Audio System  

3 hours ago, str-1 said:

This is good to hear.  I have a Synology DS216j, which is still being powered by the supplied adapter.  I think I will buy this Gophert model, which as you say is relatively inexpensive.  What dc lead are you using to connect it to the Synology?  

I bought my cable from Ghent Audio.  You have to email Ghent at [email protected] to make the arrangements as this cable is not listed on his website.  Tell him that you want a custom 4S6 DC cable with DC-2.1G to 2 x banana plugs (4mm) and let him know the length you need.

Somewhere on CA I saw mentioned a UK site for isolating transformers.  Maybe @Cornan will chime in with a recommendation for you.  I think he knows the company name.

31 minutes ago, auricgoldfinger said:

I bought my cable from Ghent Audio.  You have to email Ghent at [email protected] to make the arrangements as this cable is not listed on his website.  Tell him that you want a custom 4S6 DC cable with DC-2.1G to 2 x banana plugs (4mm) and let him know the length you need.

Is This the Ghent DC cable  i.e 4S6 DC cable with DC-2.1G to 2 x banana plugs (4mm)  ?

NUC 7i3 (ROCK) > Ghent Audio Lan cable > SOtM sMS-200 (+Uptone LPS-1) >  0.2m Curious USB cable > Singxer F1 (usb to spdif) > 0.5m XLO digital cable > Audiolab 8000 Dac (25 years old) > Trends Audio 10.1 Integrated Amp > Kef 103/4 speakers

3 minutes ago, auricgoldfinger said:

Yes, that's the one.  You need the DC-2.1G plug.

OK, thanks.   In my case (for a router) I will be needing the DC-2.5G plug which is selectable from the drop down menu.

NUC 7i3 (ROCK) > Ghent Audio Lan cable > SOtM sMS-200 (+Uptone LPS-1) >  0.2m Curious USB cable > Singxer F1 (usb to spdif) > 0.5m XLO digital cable > Audiolab 8000 Dac (25 years old) > Trends Audio 10.1 Integrated Amp > Kef 103/4 speakers