IGNORED

SOtM smS-200 unveiled at Munich Hi-End

12 hours ago, MayfromSOtM said:

Hi ClothEars, 

Sorry that it wasn't clear to understand.. here I'm trying to answer on your question. 

1. Yes, please have a look this link, you are able to see the latest updated DAC info  here, 

http://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/eunhasu_-native-dsd-support/?noredirect=en_US

2. Yes, I just realized that the MPD audio output mixer type option has been added but didn't put it up on the version history. Please also check here,  http://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/latest-eunhasu-fw-v0-4-14/

3. About the kernel check feature for native DSD upgrade, this feature compares the current kernel with the new kernel version. And upgrades to the latest kernel if the current kernel is not the latest version. For example, if the current kernel didn't include the latest native DSD supportive dac ID, by using this kernel check feature, the current kernel would be automatically upgraded  to the latest kernel to get the latest native DSD supportive dac ID. 

Thanks May but I am still unsure what the appropriate setting for the "Mixer Type" should be.

What do the options "Software/Hardware/Null/None" mean.  What is the difference between Null and None for instance.

If I do not use the volume control on the MPD player then should I set this to "Hardware" or "Null" or "None"?

Thanks in advance.

11 hours ago, ClothEars said:

Thanks May but I am still unsure what the appropriate setting for the "Mixer Type" should be.

What do the options "Software/Hardware/Null/None" mean.  What is the difference between Null and None for instance.

If I do not use the volume control on the MPD player then should I set this to "Hardware" or "Null" or "None"?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Dr Tone, 

To understand about what mixer_type option means, you will need to get the information much deeply, please check the link below.  

https://www.musicpd.org/doc/user/config_audio_outputs.html

You will find the chart under the name of mixer_type.

And  if you don't use the volume control on the MPD player, please set it to 'Hardware'.

Thank you~

Best regards, May

@MayfromSOtM

Thanks for that response May.

With regard to track start glitches I was wondering whether the buffer settings could help as per your reference.

Buffer Settings
Do not change these unless you know what you are doing.

Setting    Description
audio_buffer_size KBYTES    Adjust the size of the internal audio buffer. Default is 4096 (4 MiB).
buffer_before_play PERCENT    Control the percentage of the buffer which is filled before beginning to play. Increasing this reduces the chance of audio file skipping, at the cost of increased time prior to audio playback. Default is 10%.

11 hours ago, ClothEars said:

@MayfromSOtM

Thanks for that response May.

With regard to track start glitches I was wondering whether the buffer settings could help as per your reference.

Buffer Settings
Do not change these unless you know what you are doing.

Setting    Description
audio_buffer_size KBYTES    Adjust the size of the internal audio buffer. Default is 4096 (4 MiB).
buffer_before_play PERCENT    Control the percentage of the buffer which is filled before beginning to play. Increasing this reduces the chance of audio file skipping, at the cost of increased time prior to audio playback. Default is 10%.

I think your issue seems not solving by adjusting the buffer settings, but if you allow me to adjust the buffer settings manually, I will access your system to do it. Please email me your available time.

Thank you.

On 2018-01-31 at 4:10 AM, MayfromSOtM said:

Hi Dr Tone,  I can't confirm the time frame but it's on progressing now and  will be updating soon. I will announce it once it will be released.

Thank you :)

I see lumin just released a firmware with RAAT 1.1.28.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

There is a new firmware version (V 4.15) released last night and I have just installed it.

After the install I started the MPD/DLNA server and after 1/2 an hour it has not become active.

@MayfromSOtM

The activity light is still flashing away so something is going on however it shouldn't take this long.

I have been caught out before by being impatient with the SMS-200 but surely it should not take so long to start the MPD server.

I would strongly suggest other users delay their firmware update until this gets sorted.

Unfortunately it is the New Year holiday in east Asia and we will have to wait until Monday to have any problem solved.

I will post any updates to the situation if it changes.  :(

Further to my last post:  I gave it another 1/2 hour to start the MPD server but to no avail.

I therefore decided that a shut down and restart was the safest option.

I am pleased to report that after that, the MPD server is up and running.

I would be interested to see if anyone else has this problem with the update or whether it is only my unit.  :)

11 minutes ago, ClothEars said:

Further to my last post:  I gave it another 1/2 hour to start the MPD server but to no avail.

I therefore decided that a shut down and restart was the safest option.

I am pleased to report that after that, the MPD server is up and running.

I would be interested to see if anyone else has this problem with the update or whether it is only my unit.  :)

I had a similar response in updating to 0.4.14.  UI showed 30% complete for 1/2 hour then I rebooted and found the update was done.  Kernel update works better.

16 hours ago, d_elm said:

I had a similar response in updating to 0.4.14.  UI showed 30% complete for 1/2 hour then I rebooted and found the update was done.  Kernel update works better.

That is exactly what my 0.4.14 did, got hung up on the 30%.  I rebooted it expecting a fail but it did update.

1 hour ago, Joerg D said:

Hello, since I made the update to 4.15, DLNA and MPD will not start anymore. Reset and restart did not help. Has anyone found a solution?

greeting
Joerg

Same problem - I'm stuck with no sound :( 

Source: Synology NAS > DIY Mediaserver • Software: JRiver MC31/Fidelizer Pro Optical output: ASUS Xonar AE 24/192 • DAC/preamp: Blue Cheese Audio Roquefort Digital cross-over: Xilica XP-3060 • Speakers: Electro-Voice TS9040D LX (for active config.)  Subwoofers: 2 x MicroWrecker Tapped Horns • EV horns amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV bass amp: MC² Audio T1500 • Subs amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV horns cables: Mundorf silver/gold 1mm solid-core • IC: Mundorf silver/gold XLR/Mogami 2549 XLR/Cordial CMK Road 250 XLR • Subs and EV bass cable: Cordial CLS 425 • Power cables: 15AWG Solid-core wire w/IeGo pure copper plugs (DIY)

On ‎15‎-‎02‎-‎2018 at 1:19 AM, ClothEars said:

There is a new firmware version (V 4.15) released last night and I have just installed it.

After the install I started the MPD/DLNA server and after 1/2 an hour it has not become active.

@MayfromSOtM

The activity light is still flashing away so something is going on however it shouldn't take this long.

I have been caught out before by being impatient with the SMS-200 but surely it should not take so long to start the MPD server.

I would strongly suggest other users delay their firmware update until this gets sorted.

Unfortunately it is the New Year holiday in east Asia and we will have to wait until Monday to have any problem solved.

I will post any updates to the situation if it changes.  :(

Oh, dammit. Thanks for this info. 

I guess the only way to fix this problem, other than waiting for a new update by Monday, is a recovery:

http://docs.sotm-audio.com/doku.php?id=en/eunhasu/burn_sdcard_image

Source: Synology NAS > DIY Mediaserver • Software: JRiver MC31/Fidelizer Pro Optical output: ASUS Xonar AE 24/192 • DAC/preamp: Blue Cheese Audio Roquefort Digital cross-over: Xilica XP-3060 • Speakers: Electro-Voice TS9040D LX (for active config.)  Subwoofers: 2 x MicroWrecker Tapped Horns • EV horns amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV bass amp: MC² Audio T1500 • Subs amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV horns cables: Mundorf silver/gold 1mm solid-core • IC: Mundorf silver/gold XLR/Mogami 2549 XLR/Cordial CMK Road 250 XLR • Subs and EV bass cable: Cordial CLS 425 • Power cables: 15AWG Solid-core wire w/IeGo pure copper plugs (DIY)

11 minutes ago, d_elm said:

One could use Squeezebox server and SqueezeLite renderer, painful, until the MPD problem is fixed.

Just about to finish rewriting the microSD card with the recovery image (V4.0), so if all goes well I'll boot up the sMS-200 Ultra anew and hopefully have MPD/DLNA up and running again. 

EDIT: now up and running with V4.0 again via MDP/DLNA. 

2 hours ago, mikeyb said:

HDPlex 200w PSU ok to power the SoTm SMS 200 @ 12v?

I need to use the variable output on the HDPlex @ 15v for my DAC so that leaves me the 9v and 12v outputs.

I'm assuming if it's ok that 12v would see an improvement in sound? 

I found it sounds better running on 12V.