IGNORED

UpTone Audio USB Regen Listening Impressions

I'm interested in more comments from people using REGEN amber with Yggdrasil DAC.

Schiit now has their Adapticlock clock regeneration system and USB Gen 3 input module ... so it will be nice to hear whether REGEN still makes a significant difference.

If I recall correctly, when Bifrost first came out Schiit was less than enthusiastic about USB.

Jimmypowder, I'm glad you're happy with your REGEN. I told you you wouldn't be disappointed.

Thanks Ricka!

Swapping the Regen "Amber" for the earlier "Green" in my main system brought about further cleaning and tightening of the sound presentation throughout the frequency range. In the bass region, this prompted me to bump up the frequencies below 50Hz by another dB (for a total of two), for an even more solid foundation and three-dimensional sound stage.

With a well recorded album (e.g., Pachelbel's Organ Works from Dorian CD rips), the overall effect is one of exquisitely lifelike sound. With a poorer recording (e.g., Mozart's String Quartets with the Quartetto Italiano from Philips CD rips) . . . Well, herein lies the rub: with all this clarity, a recording's shortcomings are mercilessly revealed. But perhaps paradoxically, even then I much prefer the sound with than without Regen.

Many thanks again, John S. and Alex C., for this worthwhile tweak.

Guido F.

For my system details, please see my profile. Thank you.

Update: After few days listening made one change yesterday, substituted Corning Optical with Supra.

Still having some doubts, because in my system Corning/green was better than Supra/green without doubt (Supra's sound with green was just bad - fuzzy, muddy, smeared) I was ready nevertheless for certain level of improvement on the basis of words from both Alex and John.

Ok, Corning disconnected from amber, Supra connected (mac mini - Supra 1 m - amber regen - Schiit Loki DSD). Wow, I wish I should be prepared better for this. The sound has not became just incrementally better. It became better beyond my ability to grasp the level of change. Yes, If I would analyze carefully I would find a words to describe certain specifics, but... The sound is so much better overall. Not the slightest trace of Supra's muddiness and fuzziness from combination with green. Totally opposite, the sound is crisp, fresh, superbly detailed, very smooth and musical. Can't stop listening. It was an effort to turn off the music before going to bed, and first thing in the morning I did was turning it on again.

Amber upgrade with Supra is magic. Not sure I will want to try my Nordost USB instead of Supra anytime soon. In several days, maybe.

Update 2: After couple of days listening to amber/Supra I put Nordost Blue Heaven USB on Supra place. Now the line is: mac mini > Nordost > amber > Schiit Loki. There is a difference but it is much smaller than in a case amber/Corning vs. amber/Supra. To my ears Nordost sounds slightly better. Sound picture is more cohesive. Everything is together, smooth and seamless. Separate details are not so separate as with Supra, maybe. In comparison with Supra Nordost is just more... sweet:) But, Nordost is almost 5 times more expensive than Supra. Does it sound if not 5 times better, but with very definite edge over Supra? Practically not. As for now I will keep Nordost in a line with amber, but Supra is still very much recommended as excellent combo with amber.

I will just say again: Ever since I got the Regen, I have never enjoyed my system as much. Just sounds better than it ever did before. Not a night and day difference, just noticeably better.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I will just say again: Ever since I got the Regen, I have never enjoyed my system as much. Just sounds better than it ever did before. Not a night and day difference, just noticeably better.

Yes, very much my own experience. And the Regen's sound also prompted me to make small adjustments to further enhance the benefit of increased clarity. As mentioned earlier, a small bump up in the bass region, but also a few inches increased distance from speakers to listening chair (which is now about 1.5 times the distance between speakers).

For my system details, please see my profile. Thank you.

I have to confess that whenever I am stressed--trying to get enough parts in and crank out JS-2s and REGENs to meet promised dates while also trying to keep on top of my monstrous e-mail box and accounting backlog--I just come and read all the wonderful things you guys continue to write about your experience with our products. It totally energizes me! So thank you all again.

And just wait until you see and hear what we have coming next (Yes, I'm referring to the low current power device that is going to turn heads; and the parts count on the prototype is up to 217!; nobody is going to be copying these new circuits of John's anytime soon. ;))

Best,

--Alex C.

P.S. Am headed to the post office now with 100 REGENs shipping today. Another 35 will go out early next week, and we will have covered everyone with a May order date. Will still be about 120 short of filling all who were promised "early-July" because enough of the darn scarce 7.5V/2.93A/22W Mean Well SMPS units are not yet here. 70 more arrive on the 20th and 240 on the 28th. August will flow much better.

But on our long and rambling call last night (while I installed MMKs into 3 JS-2 buyers' Mac minis), John stumbled onto this little bargain on eBay: 30W DC9V HiFi Linear Power Supply Regulated PSU for DAC Amp Digital Display | eBay

--Alex C.

rcore power supply from ebay just arrived today and plugged into regen, makes a nice improvement over mw smps.

Did have to adjust the dc output slightly as it was putting out 9.4v on arrival, have discovered it is adjustable from 5v -12v!

so now set to 7.5v and will try 9v and 12v when fully run in.

Just don't take to much notice of LED display read-out as mine is 0.4v out compared to my multimeter

customer server+AudiophileOptimizer >>UltraRendu (SR4) >> Lush(JSSG360) >>> IsoRegen(SR4) >>> Lush^2 >>> blu2 >>Blaxius^2D >> Dave > HD800(SDRmod)

I'd be careful going to too high a voltage without watching the pre-regulated voltage and its ripple.

rcore power supply from ebay just arrived today and plugged into regen, makes a nice improvement over mw smps.

Did have to adjust the dc output slightly as it was putting out 9.4v on arrival, have discovered it is adjustable from 5v -12v!

Just don't take to much notice of LED display read-out as mine is 0.4v out compared to my multimeter

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Thanks for the info - I have one of these coming in, too.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I just took delivery of mine too. My unit is set to 9.16v (according to the LED display). How did you adjust the output? Did you have to remove the front and back plate or just one?

Are you saying that you adjusted it to 7.5v using your multimeter, but it still displays 0.4v on the LED display?

- Gary

Intel NUC NUC8i7BEH Roon Server running Audio Linux in RAM -> Sonore UltraRendu (Roon Endpoint) -> Uptone ISO Regen -> Singxer SU-1 KTE -> Holo Audio Spring Level 3 DAC -> Nord One UP Monoblocks -> Spendor LS3/5as | Music controlled via iPad (Power Conditioning: Audience adeptResponse aR12).  Twitter: @hirezaudio

I've also got one of the same linear supplies coming from China via eBay. Not sure about the adjustment to set the voltage output, but I think Jiffi32 meant that the display is off by 0.4V (either above or below) compared to what he measures on his multimeter.

Are you saying that you adjusted it to 7.5v using your multimeter, but it still displays 0.4v on the LED display?

- Gary

I expect that he means that there was a difference in readings of 400mV between the cheap onboard display and his D.M.M.

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Mine arrives tomorrow!

You all lucky guys, mine just departed from China yesterday despite having ordered it 2 weeks ago :-(

IsoTek evo3 Sirius⎪Late 2009 27" iMac 20GB w/SSD, 10.10.x ➤Audirvana Plus 3.0.x (Exclusive Direct Integer Mode 1, NOS) & Qobuz HiFi Sublime+ ➤Curious Cables ➤UpTone Audio ISO REGEN (UpTone Audio UltraCap LPS-1 (Breeze Audio R-Core Linear PSU)) ➤UpTone Audio USPCB ➤iFi micro iDAC2 running v5.2a (Bit-Perfect) serving:

➤Nobsound SE OTL headphone amp on Herbie's Soft Tenderfoot (selected tubes with Herbie's UltraSonic Rx) with IsoTek evo3 Premier power cable⎪Audez'e LCD-2 Rev. 2 on Moon Audio Silver Dragon V3 Premium cable

➤Audioengine A5+ with AudioQuest Power NRG-1 cable

➤iFi micro iTube2 ➤Denon AVR-A100 100th Anniversary Edition with IsoTek evo3 Premier power cable on IsoTek evo3 Aquarius⎪B&W 804 D3 bi-amped on Inakustik cables

I just took delivery of mine too. My unit is set to 9.16v (according to the LED display). How did you adjust the output? Did you have to remove the front and back plate or just one?

- Gary

Just remove top 2 screws front and back on end panels

- Gary

the front panel read out is 0.4v lower than actual output on mine, yours may vary it. its just not very accurate.

customer server+AudiophileOptimizer >>UltraRendu (SR4) >> Lush(JSSG360) >>> IsoRegen(SR4) >>> Lush^2 >>> blu2 >>Blaxius^2D >> Dave > HD800(SDRmod)

You all lucky guys, mine just departed from China yesterday despite having ordered it 2 weeks ago :-(

Mine was supposed to come from china as well, the box it arrived in was posted from London!!

Gentlemen: Perhaps a separate thread can be started for discussion of the little Chinese LPS. Thanks.

Hi Alex, I understand but it's a bit unfair for this short OT as we had to go through the long exchange about isolating transformers recently as well ;-)

IsoTek evo3 Sirius⎪Late 2009 27" iMac 20GB w/SSD, 10.10.x ➤Audirvana Plus 3.0.x (Exclusive Direct Integer Mode 1, NOS) & Qobuz HiFi Sublime+ ➤Curious Cables ➤UpTone Audio ISO REGEN (UpTone Audio UltraCap LPS-1 (Breeze Audio R-Core Linear PSU)) ➤UpTone Audio USPCB ➤iFi micro iDAC2 running v5.2a (Bit-Perfect) serving:

➤Nobsound SE OTL headphone amp on Herbie's Soft Tenderfoot (selected tubes with Herbie's UltraSonic Rx) with IsoTek evo3 Premier power cable⎪Audez'e LCD-2 Rev. 2 on Moon Audio Silver Dragon V3 Premium cable

➤Audioengine A5+ with AudioQuest Power NRG-1 cable

➤iFi micro iTube2 ➤Denon AVR-A100 100th Anniversary Edition with IsoTek evo3 Premier power cable on IsoTek evo3 Aquarius⎪B&W 804 D3 bi-amped on Inakustik cables

Have the Green running into the Amber, and it's well into "Holy sh*t!" territory now.

Wait, so I go away for a bit and come back to find out that running two Regens in serial fashion is even better?!

shut%20up%20and%20take%20my%20money%202_zpsliyxqrqu.jpg

hmmmm........... let's see.......

shut%20up%20and%20take%20my%20money%203_zpsan10tioy.jpg

Order placed for a second Regen. See you in August!

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Hi Alex, I understand but it's a bit unfair for this short OT as we had to go through the long exchange about isolating transformers recently as well ;-)

+1 for sure.

This is a much lesser departure than the trannies... Just 10 posts before Jiffi32 mentioned about the sound improvement of the Chinese R-core LPS, so it is indeed a listening impression. It's all part of the package people are putting together to listen to their Regens and I think it's great to find out about.

Just remove top 2 screws front and back on end panels

the front panel read out is 0.4v lower than actual output on mine, yours may vary it. its just not very accurate.

Thanks for the clarification.

Intel NUC NUC8i7BEH Roon Server running Audio Linux in RAM -> Sonore UltraRendu (Roon Endpoint) -> Uptone ISO Regen -> Singxer SU-1 KTE -> Holo Audio Spring Level 3 DAC -> Nord One UP Monoblocks -> Spendor LS3/5as | Music controlled via iPad (Power Conditioning: Audience adeptResponse aR12).  Twitter: @hirezaudio

With two regen's connected in "serial" fashion would you use the one power supply to feed both regens or do they need separate supply's to get the best from them (connected this way)?

Wait, so I go away for a bit and come back to find out that running two Regens in serial fashion is even better?!

shut%20up%20and%20take%20my%20money%202_zpsliyxqrqu.jpg

hmmmm........... let's see.......

shut%20up%20and%20take%20my%20money%203_zpsan10tioy.jpg

Order placed for a second Regen. See you in August!

With two regen's connected in "serial" fashion would you use the one power supply to feed both regens or do they need separate supply's to get the best from them (connected this way)?

The power supply provided with the Regen will only power one device.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

[snip, snip]

And just wait until you see and hear what we have coming next (Yes, I'm referring to the low current power device that is going to turn heads; and the parts count on the prototype is up to 217!; nobody is going to be copying these new circuits of John's anytime soon. ;))

Best,

--Alex C.

Hi Alex, can we use the SBooster in conjunction with this wonderful-217-parts-REGEN-add-on? Did you find time to listen to the SBooster-REGEN-combo? Thanks for your info!!

PS Glad my REGEN is at the post office and now on its way to me!

Audio

Auralic Aries Mini > SBooster Vbus Isolator > Clicktronic USB 2.0 cable 0.5m > UpTone Audio REGEN (amber) > Curious USB REGEN link > Wadia 121 Decoding Computer > inakustik Reference NF-102 (RCA) > PrimaLuna Prologue Premium Integrated Amplifier (EL34 tubes) > AH! DLS Direkt KB10 Speaker Cable > Sonus Faber Liuto Tower

~ and ~

Wadia 121 Decoding Computer > Belkin male 3.5-3.5 stereo jack iPod cable (with 6.3 adapter) > Sennheiser RS180

Powerline

Dedicated power group > Oehlbach Powercord OFC 1.5mm2 Schuko-C13 > Furman AC-210A E Power Conditioner > Powerline 1 to PrimaLuna, Powerline 2 to Brennenstuhl Premium Powersocket

UpTone Audio REGEN is powered by Meanwell SMPS with SBooster Ultra for REGEN

Auralic Aries Mini is powered by SBooster BOTW P&P ECO 15/16V with SBooster Ultra 15V