IGNORED

UpTone Audio USB Regen Listening Impressions

can I use an ipad to a regen to a dac?

thanks

With a camera connection kit it works fine. I use it IPad > connection kit > solid adapter > Regen > solid adapter > dac - no usb cable needed.

Main System: Mac mini (Audirvana+, MMK, JS-2) -> ISO Regen (LPS-1) -> Icron 2201 (Rex LPS-1.2) -> ISO Regen (LPS-1.2) -> Ayre QB-9 Twenty -> Headamp GS-X Mk2 -> Classe CT-M600 -> KEF Reference 201/2

With a camera connection kit it works fine. I use it IPad > connection kit > solid adapter > Regen > solid adapter > dac - no usb cable needed.

This should work pretty well...I will have to give it a try!

(the Onkyo HF music player app works good for streaming hi-res and DSD stuff)

Since the Regen draws very little current through the USB interface (5mA IIRC), any iPhone or iPad with a camera connection kit should be happy.... what should also work is USB Dacs that draw more current than the iPhone/iPad CCK like (which you would not normally be able to use with the camera connection kit and iDevice) should work since the Regen is supplying the current to the dac, not the iDevice/CCK.

---------------

Rich Brkich

Owner, Signature Sound

Liverpool, New York USA

FaceBook Page: http://www.facebook.com/Signature.Sound.HiFi

Teradak has an 8.5v DC LPS on fleabay, is this safe for the REGEN?

Yes - The TeraDak X1/X2 LPS makes some improvement over the Regen's included SMPS. It has a fixed 5V USB output, but it also has a user-adjustable 0.25V to 9.0V coaxial connector output. I have adjusted mine down to 7.0V to power the Regen. (Adjustment is made via a small flat-head brass screw that can be seen on the PCB).

can I use an ipad to a regen to a dac?

thanks

Yes - I'm using an iPad 3 > CCK > 0.7m Supra USB 2.0 cable > USB Regen > included USB A-to-B adapter > DAC (to headphone amp and headphones)

It sounds GREAT with Tidal HiFi, Onkyo HD Player, and Netflix, too!

I much prefer using the battery-powered iPad 3 as a source to using my (noisy) Win7 laptop.

My hat's off to Duke40 for recommending the use of an iDevice > CCK > USB Regen > DAC.

Mike

haven't been keeping up with the CA threads, but it seems that using the green and amber REGENs in chain give better results?

I'm still using the Meanwell for the amber REGEN and hear that people say the the power supply is not a subtle upgrade. what are the cheaper options out there, since the JS-2 isn't an option due to budget?

I think I read some good reports from people using the new iFi iPower.

Seems pretty good for the price.

iFi iPower Outboard Supply at Music Direct

Yes - The TeraDak X1/X2 LPS makes some improvement over the Regen's included SMPS. It has a fixed 5V USB output, but it also has a user-adjustable 0.25V to 9.0V coaxial connector output. I have adjusted mine down to 7.0V to power the Regen. (Adjustment is made via a small flat-head brass screw that can be seen on the PCB).

Yes - I'm using an iPad 3 > CCK > 0.7m Supra USB 2.0 cable > USB Regen > included USB A-to-B adapter > DAC (to headphone amp and headphones)

I much prefer using the battery-powered iPad 3 as a source to using my (noisy) Win7 laptop.

My hat's off to Duke40 for recommending the use of an iDevice > CCK > USB Regen > DAC.

Mike

CCK is the connection kit, you can output from an IPad ? pls elaborate. I have an SD card reader, is this what's you're using ?

rogerdn

Where are you all buying this Supra cable?

Thanks

Chris

Mike

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

Wow! I ended up going to a retailer in the UK because, at the time, I couldn't find a 0.7m version of the cable anywhere in the U.S., online or otherwise. I should have asked you guys! :-)

I really like that cable. Even without the USB Regen, the $40 Supra impressed me with how much better it sounds than my $80 Moon Audio Blue Dragon USB cable and that cable sounds far better than my generic USB cables.

The Blue Dragon brought my first realization that digital signals are just as vulnerable, if not more so, as analog signals. The USB Regen will make believers out of everyone who hears it.

The Blue Dragon brought my first realization that digital signals are just as vulnerable, if not more so, as analog signals. The USB Regen will make believers out of everyone who hears it.

I first noticed differences in Coax Digital cables for my SPDIF connection from sound card to DAC. 3 subtley different sounds with three cables. But that didn't register too deeply, until the switch from a generic USB cable to a bottom-of-the line Audioquest resulted in the perverbial 'Night and Day' difference. My, my, my !! :)

I'm afraid some will refuse to listen to a Regen for dogmatic reasons. TS, their loss :)

I just received my regen today and plugged it in for a few songs tonight. To cut things short, it was an amazing improvement for such small cost. The entire sound stage was snapped into focus and an obvious increase in resolution. I'm currently powering it with a 9v linear power supply by Kenneth Lau. Really great job guys!

Also, since I started my audiophile journey two years ago, it has been a nonstop cycle of buying and selling gears trying to get to a point where I feel like "right" with my system. I had added the Aurender N100 to my system a week ago and was happy with the improvement it brought to my system and the convenience of not having to deal with computers and its endless tweaking. Then the Regen came and it was the final piece of the puzzle that brought it all together. I'm finally at the point where when I'm listening music, I'm thinking to myself "that's how it should sound like", and I no longer want to make any changes to my system.

It's hard to believe we've all been living with subpar USB connection for years and how this small and simple device can bring out it's true potential.

We've seen over the past few years how vulnerable to less than optimal sound the USB port on our DACs can be. Apparently most manufacturers don't know how to improve it, or don't do it in order to hit a price point. Only a few manufacturers like Ayre and MSB (I'm not saying they are the only ones) seem to have devoted the resources necessary for a true audiophile USB connection.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I know this probably has been covered in this post, but to cut the long story short, what is the required voltage for this unit if fed through an external LPS?

Minimum 6V

Maximum 9V if the Regen will be powering a DAC or DAC/amp.

Maximum 12V if the Regen will NOT be powering a DAC or DAC/amp.

The closer you come to 6V, the cooler the Regen will operate. It's best to stay away from the 9V or 12V maximums.

And: The LPS should be regulated, with a minimum continuous current capacity of 1 Amp.

Why is this? It has been said that it sounds better at higher voltages, and should not be a problem unless your DAC draws a lot of power.

It's best to stay away from the 9V or 12V maximums.

And: The LPS should be regulated, with a minimum continuous current capacity of 1 Amp.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

It's best to stay away from the 9V or 12V maximums.

Why is this? It has been said that it sounds better at higher voltages, and should not be a problem unless your DAC draws a lot of power.

If I remember what John and Alex have mentioned from time to time correctly, it's a bit of a tradeoff: warmer Regen circuitry at the higher voltages may give better sound, but also potentially shorten the life of the unit.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

OK then, for how many decades do you think this device will be applicable? Heat destroys all electronics in time. I do not think Uptone has indicated that it would "wear out" quickly if run at 9v, or even 12v if one was not using much DAC current. I think JS & AC have been pretty clear on this, and "potential" was mostly a CYA in print statement (a fair one too imo). It does seem to sound better at the 9.5v I am running.

If I remember what John and Alex have mentioned from time to time correctly, it's a bit of a tradeoff: warmer Regen circuitry at the higher voltages may give better sound, but also potentially shorten the life of the unit.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz