IGNORED

HQ Player

On 12/22/2020 at 8:16 PM, Miska said:

I have the Mac Mini on my office desk and the fan is not so loud in this condition that it would disturb my listening. It is not totally silent, so if I mute my amp I can hear it. But likely not if I'd place it in the equipment rack. Of course things also depend on environmental temperature and maybe specific device unit (maybe not every fan is identical). So it will be hard to give exhaustive answer.

Hi Jussy,  Swissbear and Others,

Made a lot of progress by lowering fan speed/noise of my Mac mini I7 6 cores.

1) Remove the plastic cover. And and some spikes etc to make an better airflow possible.  Immediate effect I lowered fan speed respectively noise running ASDM7EC and Poly-sinc -XT2 with 500-800 rpm. With an average of 2500-2600 rpm.

2) I  have  ordered an professional base for the Mac mini with an own bigger fan too. Please see attached pictures.  That will lower temperature even more :-))

Please see the Canadian website: https://www.speed-designs.com/speed-mac-mini-cooling-base

Ps. The EC noise shapers are sounding slightly better than the normal my normal default ASDM7. But also different especially the DSD versions. Have to do more testing / comparing.

Ps. I mostly play Qobuz records upsampled by HQPlayer to DSD 256. I use Loopback software to create a separate input channel for Qobuz.😇

Merry Christmas, Andreas

Schermafbeelding 2020-12-24 om 20.11.58.jpg

Schermafbeelding 2020-12-24 om 20.12.20.jpg

Schermafbeelding 2020-12-24 om 20.12.42.jpg

Ethernet::4x Bonn Silent Angel 8P, Afterdark Emperor Doublr  Crown Masterclock and Cybershaft 75 Ohm,Mini Circuits convertor,Uptone EtherRegen with 75Ohm. SOTM Cat CAT 7.

Audio: Auralic Vega G2.1, Cambridge Edge W, Kef Reference 3 speakers.  
Power: Farad super 3 (2x) , Keces P8 ( 2 Uptone LPS1.2 ) Afterdark 5V: 

Cables:Meicord Opal, SOTM Cat7 with filtering, Ghent Audio DC , Farad Level 2, Sharkwire speaker cable

4 hours ago, SwissBear said:

I would just like to underline the fact that my Mac Mini M1 has a PSU which is quite noisy electromagnetically in the sense that it is polluting some of the other equipments I have powered on the same rack. So I decided to put it in a place in my house where this is not a concern.

But the performance of the machine, and the code produced by Jussi to make the best use of it are awesome :-)

Hope this helps.

Hi Swissbear,

Strange observation. Are you sure that it is the Mac mini M1? No other equipment. Your other equipmeuses shielded  interconnects etc... ? 

I know that Apple test these new machines in depth? Otherwise you should make call/ service-ticket for Apple.

Regards, Andreas 

Ethernet::4x Bonn Silent Angel 8P, Afterdark Emperor Doublr  Crown Masterclock and Cybershaft 75 Ohm,Mini Circuits convertor,Uptone EtherRegen with 75Ohm. SOTM Cat CAT 7.

Audio: Auralic Vega G2.1, Cambridge Edge W, Kef Reference 3 speakers.  
Power: Farad super 3 (2x) , Keces P8 ( 2 Uptone LPS1.2 ) Afterdark 5V: 

Cables:Meicord Opal, SOTM Cat7 with filtering, Ghent Audio DC , Farad Level 2, Sharkwire speaker cable

The new Mac Mini, like others is floating design, with 2-pin power socket.

I'm personally using it with a NAA over ethernet, plus with RME ADI-2 Pro AE using direct connection (in turn connected to T+A HA 200 headphone amp over balanced).

Just take care about all the things any computer is connected to and how each piece is grounded/floating. For example if Mac Mini is connected to a TV over HDMI and the TV in turn is connected to cable network - you have a potential typical problem.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

11 hours ago, Miska said:

But it's still Windows. So you could as well run HQPlayer there straight instead of having a NAA. Unless the NAA is used for the purpose of relocating the HQPlayer server outside of the listening room.

In this case it was an un-used Lenovo 100S Intel Atom laptop, re-purposed for NAA duties. It is both fanless and SSD, so is silent.  

I don't think it has the power to do 8 channel up-sampling and convolution, running HQPlayer Desktop on there.

And Windows NAA via ASIO driver results in clean output and all other options so far don't.

So this is a really good reason to use Windows NAA.

I disabled (not just muted) all sound cards in Windows. So there is (hopefully) zero chance of any other audio interruption.

I also disabled IPv4 in network adapter settings. So NAA is running only IPv6 with HQPlayer. And there's no internet access for downloading updates etc.

I'm hoping the Focusrite fix that comes to mainline kernel at some point is reliable (no random and sudden bursts of white noise), then I can replace the Windows NAA with RPi4 running NAA image.

But for now Windows NAA using ASIO driver is silent and 100% reliable with this Focusrite 18i20 Gen3.

question for owners of the new mac mini M1:

has anyone tried upsampling to 1.4 - 1.5mhz with the new mac mini and a Denafrips dac? 

sistema:

Server HDPlex (i7-6700-WS2016) HQPlayer con Ramdisk + HQPDcontrol > Macmini (roon core+Qobuz) o HQPlayer Client + Qobuz > HDPlex NAA (celeron G1840T-WS2016) NAD con Ramdisk, o miniPC Fitlet con immagine di Miska > Denafrips Ares2 , SPLvolume2 > Monitor KH+sub

On 12/25/2020 at 10:56 AM, asdf1000 said:

In this case it was an un-used Lenovo 100S Intel Atom laptop, re-purposed for NAA duties. It is both fanless and SSD, so is silent.  

I don't think it has the power to do 8 channel up-sampling and convolution, running HQPlayer Desktop on there.

And Windows NAA via ASIO driver results in clean output and all other options so far don't.

So this is a really good reason to use Windows NAA.

I disabled (not just muted) all sound cards in Windows. So there is (hopefully) zero chance of any other audio interruption.

I also disabled IPv4 in network adapter settings. So NAA is running only IPv6 with HQPlayer. And there's no internet access for downloading updates etc.

I'm hoping the Focusrite fix that comes to mainline kernel at some point is reliable (no random and sudden bursts of white noise), then I can replace the Windows NAA with RPi4 running NAA image.

But for now Windows NAA using ASIO driver is silent and 100% reliable with this Focusrite 18i20 Gen3.

@MiskaI should also add - we are fortunate that you still support Win10 and macOS NAA ... this is one example where I really need Windows NAA. Without it I wouldn't be able to do what I am doing now:

Airport Express (Airplay 2) -> miniDSP USBStreamer H> HQP Embedded -> Windows NAA (ASIO) -> Focusrite 18i20 Gen3 for 8-channel DSP (including convolution for room EQ and DSP crossovers)

So many thanks for continuing to support it! Otherwise I wouldn't be able to enjoy HQPlayer to this full extent , as I am now!

On 25/12/2020 at 3:48 PM, giordy60 said:

question for owners of the new mac mini M1:

has anyone tried upsampling to 1.4 - 1.5mhz with the new mac mini and a Denafrips dac? 

Jussi, I know you have 2 holo audio .....

have you tried with your mac mini M1?

sistema:

Server HDPlex (i7-6700-WS2016) HQPlayer con Ramdisk + HQPDcontrol > Macmini (roon core+Qobuz) o HQPlayer Client + Qobuz > HDPlex NAA (celeron G1840T-WS2016) NAD con Ramdisk, o miniPC Fitlet con immagine di Miska > Denafrips Ares2 , SPLvolume2 > Monitor KH+sub

3 hours ago, Miska said:

At the moment I'm using Spring 1 through UP Gateway based NAA from M1 Mini.

Hi Jussi, I have read earlier that you declined to make recommendations as far as PSU are concerned. Can you please share with us how you are powering your UP Gateway as 5V/4A does not seem easy to power with clean PSUs.

Thanks.

Pierre

Seems like I must be missing something obvious, but my settings are not saving in HQplayer. I go to file>settings make adjustments and close (there is no "okay" button as in manual) and when I reopen the "settings" menu settings have reverted to default. Any ideas? I am using Audiophile Optimizer for Windows 10 and using HQplayer to process out of Roon. 

Hi Jussi,

noted some time back I was getting a faint ticketty-tick-tick on only dsf files, but not pcm even though HQP settings are at upsampling to dsf128 for everything - into RME dac. Only bothered when in soft passages, particularly classical piano etc.

Got round to investigating & the fix was to change tickbox from 48x128 to 44.1x128!!

Bizarrely, dsf files dl-ed in .wv compression & then converted to dsf were fine, playing without issue, as per all pcm. ie iso to dsd extractions was always problematic.

Explanation? Updating to a stronger cpu etc will help ...?

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

Hi Guys, I am rather late to HQP and much as I would love to trawl through 770 pages to find the answer I wondered if a kind person could point me in the right direction.

I have a loan Antipodes K50 with embedded HQP which I have got up and running with HQP in conjunction with Roon and outputting via USB to my Dave at 705.6kHz or 768kHz as appropriate. The K50 is two separate machines in one same box, one configured as a server with SSD storage and the other is configured as the player. I do not have any or output DSD so I am only interested in PCM.

I am looking for suggestions for the best place to start with settings for HQP with the Dave rather than just diving in on a random basis. I normally use an Mscaler and so should I start with say sinc-M + LNS15 and then venture elsewhere when I have got used to that or do you guys have a better suggestion for what filter / noise shaper combination to use with the Dave? I am not seeking to emulate the Mscaler but rather just to get the best sound.

Thanks.

Owner Wave High Fidelity digital cables :

Antipodes Oladra (WAVE Storm BNC spdif RF noise filtering cable to Mscaler)

Dave (with Sean Jacobs ARC6 and SJ Cap Board) + WAVE Storm dual BNC RF noise filtering cables

ATC150 active speakers.

@Miska

Sorry if this topic has been previously addressed, but I could not find a complete answer.  I would like to experiment with PCM upsampling. My DAC is a Matrix Audio, X-Sabre Pro.  As far as I can see, there is no way to turn off the provided hardware filters so that I may exclusively use those provided in HQPlayer. They have 7 choices as shown. Questions: Is there any one filter I can select that will not "collide/overlap/interfere" with your filters in general? Or am I better off selecting a hardware filter that is similar to the ones you provide? For example, which of the 7 filters is most like poly-sinc-ext2? At least I can turn off dithering in the DAC and select from HQPlayer.

Steve 

pcm_filters.jpg

17 hours ago, abdodson said:

Seems like I must be missing something obvious, but my settings are not saving in HQplayer. I go to file>settings make adjustments and close (there is no "okay" button as in manual) and when I reopen the "settings" menu settings have reverted to default. Any ideas? I am using Audiophile Optimizer for Windows 10 and using HQplayer to process out of Roon. 

I had that issue when I changed screen resolution, placing OK button below visible screen. Try resizing / scrolling down or even just hitting enter on keyboard.

Desktop: HQ Player --> Singxer SU-1 --> Matrix X-Sabre Pro --> McChanson SuperSilver UltimatE

Headphones: Audeze MM-500, Meze Audio Elite, Focal Utopia 2022, Focal Bathys (Wireless)

Portable Gear: Hiby RS6, xDuoo XD05 Bal 2, FiiO BTR7, Creative BT-W5, FiiTii HiFiDots TWS

Nearfield Active Speakers: Audioengine HD3 

Power Conditioning: Furman Elite-15 PFi

6 hours ago, sledwards said:

@Miska

Sorry if this topic has been previously addressed, but I could not find a complete answer.  I would like to experiment with PCM upsampling. My DAC is a Matrix Audio, X-Sabre Pro.  As far as I can see, there is no way to turn off the provided hardware filters so that I may exclusively use those provided in HQPlayer. They have 7 choices as shown. Questions: Is there any one filter I can select that will not "collide/overlap/interfere" with your filters in general? Or am I better off selecting a hardware filter that is similar to the ones you provide? For example, which of the 7 filters is most like poly-sinc-ext2? At least I can turn off dithering in the DAC and select from HQPlayer.

Steve 

pcm_filters.jpg

Fast roll-off linear phase should be fine and not modify response when applied after HQPlayer filters. And in this case you certainly should stick to linear phase filters at DAC side.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

2 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Is it my imagination or does HQPlayer on its own sound better then used with Roon.Also don't get pops between songs.

I haven't tried that comparison yet, but I've now tried multiple times with multiple DACs (Benchmark DAC3, DF Ares II and Venus II) and different OS's (Win10, UbuntuStudio) and I don't want to believe it, but USB out to my DAC(s) is noticeably better out of a simple Pi4 NAA than it is off the motherboard of the HQPlayer PC (whose only job is to sit there, headless, and crunch HQP filters and modulators). Now I realize USB is not a great transmission protocol for audio in the first place, and getting it off the mobo is not at all ideal, but it's the vast difference I'm hearing in how each presents audio that stuns me.

So I don't doubt for a second that HQP direct, rather than through Roon, could have a very positive impact. All of these steps I'm putting in between Roon and my DAC are, hopefully, achieving that same goal, but I'm not sure how your setup operates.

Ryzen 3900x Roon Core PC -> Intel i9900k HQPlayer W10 machine -> iFi Zen Stream NAA

Holo May KTE, Benchmark LA4 preamp

SMC Audio upgraded DNA-125 Amp

Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinum speakers

Vinyl rig - Schiit Sol, Nagaoka MP-500, Mod Squad PhonoDrive phono stage

On 12/28/2020 at 4:46 PM, Miska said:

Fast roll-off linear phase should be fine and not modify response when applied after HQPlayer filters. And in this case you certainly should stick to linear phase filters at DAC side.

Hi @MiskaI have same Matrix X-Sabre Pro DAC as @sledwardsbut rather than PCM upsampling I usually output to SDM / DSD. Would the fast roll-off linear phase DSC filter setting also be best choice to minimize DAC modifying the HQ Player output in DSD scenario as well?

Desktop: HQ Player --> Singxer SU-1 --> Matrix X-Sabre Pro --> McChanson SuperSilver UltimatE

Headphones: Audeze MM-500, Meze Audio Elite, Focal Utopia 2022, Focal Bathys (Wireless)

Portable Gear: Hiby RS6, xDuoo XD05 Bal 2, FiiO BTR7, Creative BT-W5, FiiTii HiFiDots TWS

7 hours ago, LoryWiv said:

Would the fast roll-off linear phase DSC filter setting also be best choice to minimize DAC modifying the HQ Player output in DSD scenario as well?

LoryWiv:

The 7 filters are specifically for PCM playback and do not effect DSD. For DSD you can change the cut-off frequency of the DSD digital filter. For DSD256 I use 60 kHz.

On 12/28/2020 at 3:03 AM, Fourlegs said:

Hi Guys, I am rather late to HQP and much as I would love to trawl through 770 pages to find the answer I wondered if a kind person could point me in the right direction.

I have a loan Antipodes K50 with embedded HQP which I have got up and running with HQP in conjunction with Roon and outputting via USB to my Dave at 705.6kHz or 768kHz as appropriate. The K50 is two separate machines in one same box, one configured as a server with SSD storage and the other is configured as the player. I do not have any or output DSD so I am only interested in PCM.

I am looking for suggestions for the best place to start with settings for HQP with the Dave rather than just diving in on a random basis. I normally use an Mscaler and so should I start with say sinc-M + LNS15 and then venture elsewhere when I have got used to that or do you guys have a better suggestion for what filter / noise shaper combination to use with the Dave? I am not seeking to emulate the Mscaler but rather just to get the best sound.

Thanks.

I had an mscaler and the closest I can get (actually better imho) with Antipodes EX, TT2 is sinc-m, lns15, 768, adaptive rate checked. 

2 hours ago, sledwards said:

LoryWiv:

The 7 filters are specifically for PCM playback and do not effect DSD. For DSD you can change the cut-off frequency of the DSD digital filter. For DSD256 I use 60 kHz.

Thanks @sledwards. That is a very helpful clarification.