IGNORED

HQ Player

I know the answer is probably buried somewhere in this thread, I did a search but could not find exactly what I was looking for.

Friend of mine wants to try HQP, he has a mac (old model) and uses Google Music.

On Android you can stream using the Bubble UPnP app and HQPe, on Mac I presume you need to use the HQPlayer for Mac of course but how do I stream from Google Music over to it?

Thanks

5 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

And I found the log files if you want them. Its a lot of nonsense but I see some recognizable stuff in there, nothing about an NAA though.

Here's an example snippet when HQPlayer finds one RasPi4 NAA on the network using IPv6 and Pro-Ject PreBox S2 Digital behind it:

2020/12/24 15:33:55 NAA output discovery from ::
& 2020/12/24 15:33:55 NAA output discovered network audio: name='naa' version='S
ignalyst Network Audio Daemon 4.1.1'  @[fe80::dea6:32ff:fe54:fe77%eno1]:43210
  2020/12/24 15:33:56 NAA output connect to [fe80::dea6:32ff:fe54:fe77%eno1]:432
10 [ipv6]
  2020/12/24 15:33:56 NAA output network endpoint: bcm2835 ALSA: bcm2835 ALSA (h
w:CARD=ALSA,DEV=0)
  2020/12/24 15:33:56 NAA output network endpoint: bcm2835 ALSA: bcm2835 IEC958/
HDMI (hw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=1)
HDMI1 (hw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=2)
  2020/12/24 15:33:56 NAA output network endpoint: Pre Box S2 Digital: USB Audio
 (hw:CARD=Digital,DEV=0)
  2020/12/24 15:33:56 NAA output discovered 1 Network Audio Adapters

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

4 hours ago, luisma said:

I know the answer is probably buried somewhere in this thread, I did a search but could not find exactly what I was looking for.

Friend of mine wants to try HQP, he has a mac (old model) and uses Google Music.

On Android you can stream using the Bubble UPnP app and HQPe, on Mac I presume you need to use the HQPlayer for Mac of course but how do I stream from Google Music over to it?

That won't work with HQPlayer Desktop. So it would need booting up the mac with HQPlayer OS instead of macOS to run HQPlayer Embedded. This can be done from a USB memory stick without need to touch the macOS HDD. But it may not be what you are looking for.

19 minutes ago, mikel said:

@Miska regarding my question above... can you send me a DL-Link for HQPlayer v3 please?

Please send me email. It is not publicly available anymore, over a year long maintenance (phase-out) period ended in June 2020 and it was removed from the web pages.

9 hours ago, Miska said:

hat won't work with HQPlayer Desktop. So it would need booting up the mac with HQPlayer OS instead of macOS to run HQPlayer Embedded. This can be done from a USB memory stick without need to touch the macOS HDD. But it may not be what you are looking for.

Thank you, got it, and he could use the Bubble app then from an iphone or ipad,

I'm just looking for a way to my friend to try HQPlayer from his MAC, I think it is what I'm looking for in the short term, if he likes it he can purchase a license of Embedded and run it on a PC dedicated to this.

13 hours ago, Miska said:

Here's an example snippet when HQPlayer finds one RasPi4 NAA on the network using IPv6 and Pro-Ject PreBox S2 Digital behind it:

2020/12/24 15:33:55 NAA output discovery from ::
& 2020/12/24 15:33:55 NAA output discovered network audio: name='naa' version='S
ignalyst Network Audio Daemon 4.1.1'  @[fe80::dea6:32ff:fe54:fe77%eno1]:43210
  2020/12/24 15:33:56 NAA output connect to [fe80::dea6:32ff:fe54:fe77%eno1]:432
10 [ipv6]
  2020/12/24 15:33:56 NAA output network endpoint: bcm2835 ALSA: bcm2835 ALSA (h
w:CARD=ALSA,DEV=0)
HDMI (hw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=1)
HDMI1 (hw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=2)
  2020/12/24 15:33:56 NAA output network endpoint: Pre Box S2 Digital: USB Audio
 (hw:CARD=Digital,DEV=0)
  2020/12/24 15:33:56 NAA output discovered 1 Network Audio Adapters

Thanks Miska, I am going to have another look around and i'll get back to you.

No electron left behind.

18 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

It looks like HQPlayer Desktop isn't seeing the NAA on the network.

2021-01-02_16-03.png

Not on IPv6 either?

13 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

Should my Pi 4 have a green led when its running an NAA image?

I think yes, not sure... If you attach monitor you should see the NAA image ending up at login prompt.

2 hours ago, Miska said:

Not on IPv6 either?

I think yes, not sure... If you attach monitor you should see the NAA image ending up at login prompt.

Nope, I tried ipv6 as well, same result.

I will connect a monitor and check. What the heck could be causing it not to boot when ropiee works on the exact same hardware, even the same sd card?

edit: Could the fact it's a 64GB sd card make a difference? I am using Etcher to put the NAA image on the card.

No electron left behind.

38 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Nope, I tried ipv6 as well, same result.

I will connect a monitor and check. What the heck could be causing it not to boot when ropiee works on the exact same hardware, even the same sd card?

edit: Could the fact it's a 64GB sd card make a difference? I am using Etcher to put the NAA image on the card.

Never had luck using Etcher.Did you try Rufus ?

I'm using a low powered Intel NUC as an NAA. It's running the NAA image, not Windows. It's working well and it sounds great. Should there be a sonic benefit to using the Pi4 as an NAA instead?

I've heard @Miska say that "Windows bloat" is counterproductive for an NAA, but that should not be a factor in my case because I'm booting the Intel NUC using the NAA image... Is that correct?

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

On 12/28/2020 at 9:03 AM, Fourlegs said:

Hi Guys, I am rather late to HQP and much as I would love to trawl through 770 pages to find the answer I wondered if a kind person could point me in the right direction.

I have a loan Antipodes K50 with embedded HQP which I have got up and running with HQP in conjunction with Roon and outputting via USB to my Dave at 705.6kHz or 768kHz as appropriate. The K50 is two separate machines in one same box, one configured as a server with SSD storage and the other is configured as the player. I do not have any or output DSD so I am only interested in PCM.

I am looking for suggestions for the best place to start with settings for HQP with the Dave rather than just diving in on a random basis. I normally use an Mscaler and so should I start with say sinc-M + LNS15 and then venture elsewhere when I have got used to that or do you guys have a better suggestion for what filter / noise shaper combination to use with the Dave? I am not seeking to emulate the Mscaler but rather just to get the best sound.

Thanks.

I am also interested in the K50 and would be interested to know your thoughts on how HQP  compares to MScaler

17 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

No, because I have no idea what that is. I am on linux. I have never had a problem using Etcher on any OS I have used it on.

If you use Linux, you should use bmaptool, image packages include bmap for it, making writing the image much faster. Just make sure you write straight to the base device and not to any partition (IOW, to a device node without a number).

15 hours ago, Solstice380 said:

That means you are using the NAA image OS, not the Windows OS.

Yes. What I'm asking is, is there any benefit to using Pi4 hardware for an NAA over Intel NUC hardware.

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

3 hours ago, Miska said:

If you use Linux, you should use bmaptool, image packages include bmap for it, making writing the image much faster. Just make sure you write straight to the base device and not to any partition (IOW, to a device node without a number).

Why would Etcher write Ropiee to the SD card just fine, but not your NAA image to the exact same SD card? The only difference in the entire chain is your NAA image.

No electron left behind.

Jussi,

I finally installed HQPlayer 4 on my i7-6700k Win10 server, which also has HQP3.  Although I stopped playback on HQP3 I did not cancel it, and noticed that in both versions (not at same time of course) it would not allow me to play SDM/DSD, even in Direct SDM mode.  It kept defaulting to PCM.  It wasn't until I actually exited HQP3 that HQP4 started acting normally.  Is this right?  :)  Sorry for the newbie issues, and I won't be doing this for long (comapring the two versions) as I will purchase 4 as soon as my M1 arrives. 

I will report back on what I can play, but so far EC7 works fine (upsampling DSD, not tried PCM yet).  :)

20 hours ago, k6davis said:

Yes. What I'm asking is, is there any benefit to using Pi4 hardware for an NAA over Intel NUC hardware.

OK, it wasn’t clear that you had that straight.  I use a NUC NAA and it sounds fine.  I do use a high quality power supply.  The Pi4 is a good, low cost, NAA according to many people here.  Toss up?

5 hours ago, Solstice380 said:

OK, it wasn’t clear that you had that straight.  I use a NUC NAA and it sounds fine.  I do use a high quality power supply.  The Pi4 is a good, low cost, NAA according to many people here.  Toss up?

Some people believe the processing power plus a good power supply is critical to the NAA and its effect on the overall system's sound. Hence the desire for more powerful NAA processors etc. I have tried various CPU and power settings through the BIOS and unequivocally agree with this belief. 

On 5/30/2020 at 3:21 AM, DancingSea said:

What are the choices for separate streamers that are Roon Ready and NAA that use a Mac or PC but are not SOTM or Sonore?

Stack Audio Link II just added NAA support. It's also certified Roon Ready, plus UPnP, Squeezelite, Librespot, and Shareport.

It's running a propriety version of RopieeeXL.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

On 1/4/2021 at 7:27 PM, AudioDoctor said:

Why would Etcher write Ropiee to the SD card just fine, but not your NAA image to the exact same SD card? The only difference in the entire chain is your NAA image.

I don't know... I only know it works fine for me when I write the image using bmaptool

On 1/5/2021 at 3:11 AM, ted_b said:

It wasn't until I actually exited HQP3 that HQP4 started acting normally.

Yes, you cannot have both running at the same time. Or any other software that uses ASIO driver. It is under exclusive control as long as HQPlayer is running.

The ASIO driver should actually fail completely on the other instance. But the driver in question doesn't seem to be doing it.