IGNORED

HQ Player

4 minutes ago, Lbameule said:

Just trying to help here, please forgive me if this seems too dumb, but have youchecked the SD card is not locked? Physically, I mean, some of them have a sliding thing that locks or unlocks the card.

Hope it helps!

L

standard SD cards have the locking mechanism, but microSD cards don't.

microsd.jpg

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

4 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I would try another card or two and see if you can see the actual image written to the card by looking at the file system.

I have to go to Target in a bit, I may as well stop at Microcenter... again... and get a few more SD cards. For what its worth, this isn't some cheapo card, it's a 64GB Samsung Evo Micro SD and Ropiee works fine on it when written with Etcher.

No electron left behind.

1 minute ago, AudioDoctor said:

I have to go to Target in a bit, I may as well stop at Microcenter... again... and get a few more SD cards. For what its worth, this isn't some cheapo card, it's a 64GB Samsung Evo Micro SD and Ropiee works fine on it when written with Etcher.

I'd never suspect you of purchasing an SD card that's white with black letters saying SD Card 🤣

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 hour ago, AudioDoctor said:

My entire house is wired with ethernet cable from Monoprice...

Before flashing to an SD card that has been used before, I always open it in the disks utility in Linux and remove all previous partitions left behind after previous flashings. I think that Balena Etcher performs it's own format before unzipping the download and flashing it to the card.

i5 7600 fanless pc running Ubuntu 22.04 and HQPlayer Desktop > Cisco switch > 10Gtek fibre network > Raspberry Pi4 HQPlayerNAA > IFi purifier 3 > SRC-DX > Chord Qutest > Jotunheim 2 preamplifier > Ncore monoblocks > KEF R5 speakers.

10 hours ago, toddrhodes said:

For reference, I'm only using a Geforce 1030 GPU so it is NOT a powerhouse by any stretch, and it's brand new for this rig because my KF CPU has no integrated GPU.

For CUDA to be useful, the GPU needs to be faster processing filters than the CPU. Otherwise it will just make performance suffer...

For something like sinc-L at DSD256 or higher you need a GPU with plenty of RAM.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

5 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

You don't need such a huge space for the NAA image. I use 4 GB cards... The image itself is 1.3 GB with about 50% of free space.

48 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

OK so I hvae a few different brands of SD cards here now, which format should I format them to before trying to write the NAA image to them?

Nothing, NAA image contains partition tables and formatted partitions. It needs to be written to bare device and will replace any partitioning or formatting that may be on the card before.

On 5/17/2020 at 6:27 AM, Bob Stern said:

@asdf1000Your Loopback configuration looks correct.

Hi again @Bob Stern

I'm able to get Loopback working fine without Audiohijack.

But automatic sample rate switching doesn't work

If I use 'Exclusive Mode' in Tidal Deskop app or Audirvana for example, it doesn't work.

And only works if I manually change respective sample rates in HQPlayer "input" options.

Or is this more a limitation of HQPlayer Desktop not supporting auto sample rate switching? @Miska

Bob , have you got any way to get automatic sample rate switching working?

image.thumb.png.df8d763afe339166fbac74abc7f0d19b.png

image.thumb.png.022289c01dee631799765f5d78b3ec2b.png

875021578_ScreenShot2021-01-09at2_23_19pm.thumb.png.0f87ff4344e2e43a71382b06c7d9977c.png

1 minute ago, Bob Stern said:

I'm not sure whether HQP Embedded is more capable in that regard.

HQPe is capable using UP Gateway (little fanless Intel Atom box) which I also have here for a different setup.

macOS sees it like a USB soundcard.

Rather than getting another UP Gateway I was hoping to get HQPlayer Desktop working.

Even with manually changing  sample rates myself , can you get anything above like 48kHz in Audirvana for example, to work with Loopback and HQPlayer?

'Exclusive Mode' of the 'Loopback' virtual driver causes issues?

2 hours ago, asdf1000 said:

Hi  @Miska here you say switching sample rates is not an issue.

So if I choose 44.1k from the list below and I play 88.2kHz next track, HQPlayer will automatically switch?

image.thumb.png.022289c01dee631799765f5d78b3ec2b.png

@Miska sorry I think that person's use case was different - just one fixed sample rate.  My mistake.

@Miska is there something major (technical) that prefers HQPlayer detected input sample rate, and switching automatically?

Loopback app successfully switches automatically when source is set to 'pass-through' mode, like in below screenshot.

And there's no need for Audiohijack in this case.

Would be cool if HQPlayer could do this.

Up Board works with HQP OS but I need Windows to get it working. On macOS which I choose input = USB Audio Class 2, HQP OS hangs and crashes.

Using Boot camp, I reboot on Windows and set the input and it test it works with YouTube. Once HQP has this input working on Windows, I reboot Mac and it's working successfully and flawless until I need to shutdown at the end of the day and do this all again the next day. I have to shutdown as Up Board gets warm through out the day. So I want to reduce heat on CPU when I'm not using it.

7 hours ago, Bob Stern said:

I'm pretty sure Jussi said that HQP Desktop does not support automatic sample rate switching for streaming input.  I'm not sure whether HQP Embedded is more capable in that regard.

Correct I am using Loopback ( Amoebe)  for Qobuz for several months set mu default in Qobuz to 44.1 Khz and HQPlayer does the upsample job.

Ps. Most of Qobuz records are delivered in 44.1 . Otherwise you have  to adjust in MacOs HPPlayer manually the rate. If you forgot it to do.....Donald Duck or SloMo sounds😄 

Ethernet::4x Bonn Silent Angel 8P, Afterdark Emperor Doublr  Crown Masterclock and Cybershaft 75 Ohm,Mini Circuits convertor,Uptone EtherRegen with 75Ohm. SOTM Cat CAT 7.

Audio: Auralic Vega G2.1, Cambridge Edge W, Kef Reference 3 speakers.  
Power: Farad super 3 (2x) , Keces P8 ( 2 Uptone LPS1.2 ) Afterdark 5V: 

Cables:Meicord Opal, SOTM Cat7 with filtering, Ghent Audio DC , Farad Level 2, Sharkwire speaker cable

Hello Jussy,

2 Questions: 

a) I am running an setup now the AURALIC VEGA G1 streaming dac. Als also Usb, Toslink input.  Also. Roon certified

Roon detects the Auralic immediately as endpoint and also in second instance I can use HQPlayer too. Connected by Ethernet.Why can HQplayer not detect the Vega G1 directly on Ethernet . So that I can bypass Roon?🤐

b) If I use HQplayer within Roon I am only able to do DoP incl. EC noise filters.

Asked Auralic but didn't have any answer yet for native DSD do I have switch off  the PRE -amp of the Vega?

I suppose YES?  

If so I can control volume by HQ-player. But  cannot use any kind of other inputs due that volume is 100%.

If I use  DoP DSD  instead native DSD is  there a big difference in SQ. Ps. DSP within Vega1 has 4 differents filters/ choices. 

Thanks in advance.

Regards, Andreas

Ethernet::4x Bonn Silent Angel 8P, Afterdark Emperor Doublr  Crown Masterclock and Cybershaft 75 Ohm,Mini Circuits convertor,Uptone EtherRegen with 75Ohm. SOTM Cat CAT 7.

Audio: Auralic Vega G2.1, Cambridge Edge W, Kef Reference 3 speakers.  
Power: Farad super 3 (2x) , Keces P8 ( 2 Uptone LPS1.2 ) Afterdark 5V: 

Cables:Meicord Opal, SOTM Cat7 with filtering, Ghent Audio DC , Farad Level 2, Sharkwire speaker cable

On 1/7/2021 at 7:00 PM, Miska said:

For CUDA to be useful, the GPU needs to be faster processing filters than the CPU. Otherwise it will just make performance suffer...

For something like sinc-L at DSD256 or higher you need a GPU with plenty of RAM.

Understood. And in this case, the 1030 GPU was just a way to get video out of this build for setup and such. I figured while it was in there I'd see what it could do. And I have my answer (not much) :)

So I swapped it up to the upstairs HTPC where it will sit, happily playing 1080p/60 TV shows and it even does 4K movies just fine, and I swapped the 1660 that was in that HTPC down to the HQP PC and now, Sinc-L works just fine at DSD256/48 using a 192/24 PCM source with ASDM7EC as the modulator. 

And, to me, it sounds phenomenal. Thank you @Miska!

Ryzen 3900x Roon Core PC -> Intel i9900k HQPlayer W10 machine -> iFi Zen Stream NAA

Holo May KTE, Benchmark LA4 preamp

SMC Audio upgraded DNA-125 Amp

Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinum speakers

Vinyl rig - Schiit Sol, Nagaoka MP-500, Mod Squad PhonoDrive phono stage

6 hours ago, asdf1000 said:

@Miska is there something major (technical) that prefers HQPlayer detected input sample rate, and switching automatically?

Loopback app successfully switches automatically when source is set to 'pass-through' mode, like in below screenshot.

And there's no need for Audiohijack in this case.

Would be cool if HQPlayer could do this.

Up Board works with HQP OS but I need Windows to get it working. On macOS which I choose input = USB Audio Class 2, HQP OS hangs and crashes.

Using Boot camp, I reboot on Windows and set the input and it test it works with YouTube. Once HQP has this input working on Windows, I reboot Mac and it's working successfully and flawless until I need to shutdown at the end of the day and do this all again the next day. I have to shutdown as Up Board gets warm through out the day. So I want to reduce heat on CPU when I'm not using it.

Typo here: 

*that prevents HQP detecting incoming sample rate

I have now also done some testing on my Ryzen 5950X on the embedded hqplayer USB version.

It works better than with windows. I can do ASDM7EC DSD256 and can do the most filters except Sinc-L and closed-form-16M (only a few drop outs).

I tried poly-sinc-ext2, poly-sinc-mp and poly-sinc-mql-mp all without OC.

Windows seems only to be able to do ASDM5EC DSD256. Windows could probably do ASDM7EC DSD256 - poly-sinc-ext2 if it is a bare windows because at one point I could play more than one track without dropouts.

If anyone is thinkin about getting a Ryzen 5000 series CPU the 5800X is probably the better choice.

I have 2 Windows 10 PC that i installed HQPlayer desktop on. The first, smaller one is a 4570T i5 that i use exclusively for music; the second, bigger one is a 3770 i7 that i use for general purposes (to be honest, full of programs and apps). On the small i5 i have a Ubuntu Studio USB drive that allows me to try HQP on Linux to compare performance and sound quality to Windows 10 - HQP is the only program in that setup too.

Strangely enough, Windows HQP performances on both PC are very similar, same modulators limit and same filter limits at same DSD frequency. BUT while HQP performance is very stable and flawless in time in my i5, the same can't be said about my i7: on that PC i sometimes face periods of lower HQP performance, with frequent dropouts even using usually-doable HQPlayer settings.

So i can confirm that on Windows PC the OS needs to be dedicated (or very near to that) to have good HQP performances.

When this is done, performance is very good and stable (even with tens of processes going on at same time, that to be honest all together consume less than 1-2% resources). In facts, comparing Windows 10 vs. UBuntu on my i5 for a long time, i noticed absolutely no difference in performance, not even a slight difference; while sound quality is noticeably better from Windows 10 than from Linux, with richer, more natural and convincing sound. Linux just sounds thinner and more "artificial"... I don't know if booting from an USB drive can contribute to this.

That's my sincere opinion, of course, but various audiophile friends had to agree, in blind tests.