IGNORED

HQ Player

On 12/28/2020 at 6:50 PM, jamesg11 said:

Hi Jussi,

noted some time back I was getting a faint ticketty-tick-tick on only dsf files, but not pcm even though HQP settings are at upsampling to dsf128 for everything - into RME dac. Only bothered when in soft passages, particularly classical piano etc.

Got round to investigating & the fix was to change tickbox from 48x128 to 44.1x128!!

Bizarrely, dsf files dl-ed in .wv compression & then converted to dsf were fine, playing without issue, as per all pcm. ie iso to dsd extractions was always problematic.

Explanation? Updating to a stronger cpu etc will help ...?

@MiskaRe above, with using the RME dac, is the cpu demand so much greater for the 48x option?

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

16 hours ago, mancolh said:

I had an mscaler and the closest I can get (actually better imho) with Antipodes EX, TT2 is sinc-m, lns15, 768, adaptive rate checked. 

Many thanks. Is that what you have ended up using with HQP or have two gravitated to different settings now?

Owner Wave High Fidelity digital cables :

Antipodes Oladra (WAVE Storm BNC spdif RF noise filtering cable to Mscaler)

Dave (with Sean Jacobs ARC6 and SJ Cap Board) + WAVE Storm dual BNC RF noise filtering cables

ATC150 active speakers.

On 12/29/2020 at 1:46 AM, Miska said:

Fast roll-off linear phase should be fine and not modify response when applied after HQPlayer filters. And in this case you certainly should stick to linear phase filters at DAC side.

I never asked myself this question for the RME ADI-2 dac.
Now, I am in direct DSD but in PCM, is there a preferred filter ??
At 741 or 768, it doesn't matter anymore ??

ROON + HQP / Hdplex H3-i5 + 400ATX >Gustard A26 (NAA twk) > SQM > Benchmark AHB2 / Recital Audio Illumine HEFA

Jussi et al,

I have a question: I have two files of the same recording.  One is a redbook, which I upsample IN HQP to 352.8k and use TPDF and poly sinc shrt-mp.  The other is an online buy of the same recording in 352.8k.  How best to compare, since the higher rez file may well have been simply upsampled already (i.e I want to listen to it without filtering again?).

7 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Anyone have some things I can try here to fix the fact my Pi4 isn't even appearing as available in HQplayer?

Screenshot_20201231_222314.png

What NAA image are you running?

Ryzen 3900x Roon Core PC -> Intel i9900k HQPlayer W10 machine -> iFi Zen Stream NAA

Holo May KTE, Benchmark LA4 preamp

SMC Audio upgraded DNA-125 Amp

Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinum speakers

Vinyl rig - Schiit Sol, Nagaoka MP-500, Mod Squad PhonoDrive phono stage

Hmmm. I battled that thing over USB not showing up, but I was at least able to flash it and bring up the Pi in the HQP menu, it just lacked a USB output option. I'm still not totally sure what solved that, but it was solved after I swapped both the USB cable between Pi and DAC and the actual Pi4 from an 8Gb model to a 4Gb model.

Are you able to see the Pi4 on your network? I would monitor my router's DHCP client table to see when the NAA would show up, and that's when I'd pull open the settings and look for it in HQP. If you can ping it, then I may have to defer to more of an expert in the matter. I do know it takes a little bit to show up on the network after initial boot. Maybe 1-2 minutes, it seemed?

Ryzen 3900x Roon Core PC -> Intel i9900k HQPlayer W10 machine -> iFi Zen Stream NAA

Apparently it is visible on the network, and to HQPlayer. I verified that its on the network by checking in my control software and seeing it listed as devices online. HQPlayer restarted without telling me it could not find the end point, so... I dont know how to get further proof HQPlayer can see it, but right now I think it can. SO the problem is USB...

No electron left behind.

I would see ALSA, HDMI, and HDMI1, all referencing "broadcom" in some fashion which is the brand of chips on the Pi4, in my dropdown even when I was having USB issues on it.

Question - how are you loading the image? I was not able to do it from a USB adapter for a micro SD card. I either had to use a flash drive or a micro sd card inserted into the sd slot on the unit. Also, what do you see in terms of network activity lights on the Pi? I noticed that when I was not able to see mine in HQP, both my green and amber lights, or just the amber light, were solid on the Pi4. But once it started blinking at me, then I could generally find it. Was just one of those odd little things I noticed while messing around with images.

And no, it has no web portal. The only interface it has is accessed via console, so plugging an HDMI cable into a display of some sort. It's a command line only and i'm not even sure if it supports something like ifconfig to check IP and such. 

10 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

Actually... The Pi 4 works perfectly when booting a Ropiee image... SO the problem is squarely on the NAA Image itself.  @Miska You may want to look into this.

I was in the same boat, except in my case, I could see the NAA using the 4112 image in HQPlayer dropdown, I just couldn't get sound out of it.

Which model do you have, RPi4 8Gb or 4Gb? Reason I ask is Michael from CanaKit told me while I was getting my 8Gb RMA'd that the 8Gb is "different," and some "older software" that works on 4Gb models won't work on 8Gb models. He didn't get more specific than that, but that might be a starting point for @Miska possibly.

22 minutes ago, toddrhodes said:

I was in the same boat, except in my case, I could see the NAA using the 4112 image in HQPlayer dropdown, I just couldn't get sound out of it.

Which model do you have, RPi4 8Gb or 4Gb? Reason I ask is Michael from CanaKit told me while I was getting my 8Gb RMA'd that the 8Gb is "different," and some "older software" that works on 4Gb models won't work on 8Gb models. He didn't get more specific than that, but that might be a starting point for @Miska possibly.

This one is a 4GB model, unless they mistakenly put an 8GB model in a 4GB kit box. Also, Canakit is now selling an aluminum case kit.

No electron left behind.

On 12/30/2020 at 9:15 AM, LoryWiv said:

Hi @MiskaI have same Matrix X-Sabre Pro DAC as @sledwardsbut rather than PCM upsampling I usually output to SDM / DSD. Would the fast roll-off linear phase DSC filter setting also be best choice to minimize DAC modifying the HQ Player output in DSD scenario as well?

Those filters don't apply to DSD inputs. For DSD inputs, Sabre has separate noise filter and only setting for it's corner frequency.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

On 12/31/2020 at 1:38 PM, Zauurx said:

I never asked myself this question for the RME ADI-2 dac.
Now, I am in direct DSD but in PCM, is there a preferred filter ??
At 741 or 768, it doesn't matter anymore ??

If you send >= 352.8k rate, then the digital filters are bypassed. So it is not relevant. Same thing also for Sabre at >= 705.6k.

23 hours ago, ted_b said:

I have a question: I have two files of the same recording.  One is a redbook, which I upsample IN HQP to 352.8k and use TPDF and poly sinc shrt-mp.  The other is an online buy of the same recording in 352.8k.  How best to compare, since the higher rez file may well have been simply upsampled already (i.e I want to listen to it without filtering again?).

For comparing, using same filters is good approach. Of course you can manually turn off filter from client when listening the other one, if you want to.

19 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

Anyone have some things I can try here to fix the fact my Pi4 isn't even appearing as available in HQplayer?

It is not being found for some reason, check that you don't have more than one active network interface on the HQPlayer computer. You could also try with the IPv6 option.

18 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

Apparently it is visible on the network, and to HQPlayer. I verified that its on the network by checking in my control software and seeing it listed as devices online. HQPlayer restarted without telling me it could not find the end point, so... I dont know how to get further proof HQPlayer can see it, but right now I think it can. SO the problem is USB...

With Pi you should still see the built-in audio device. But also HQPlayer log file tells how many NAAs it has found, even if there are no audio devices behind.