IGNORED

HQ Player

I think something else in his system is going on!  I own, have owned and/or have heard (and reviewed several here) Chord dacs and they are splendidly open and yet rich.  My only issue is their PCM-bias (i.e one cannot hear native DSD through them....a nit I know).  But Rob, Matt and the entire Chord team know what they are doing.   The lack of noise floor modulation on good PCM recordings is first-class.  That aspect, alone, creates great openness. 

HQP's filter choices are somewhat personal but there are several that work with Chord dacs to produce beautiful music.  The owner needs to simply trial by error.

1 hour ago, ted_b said:

I think something else in his system is going on!  I own, have owned and/or have heard (and reviewed several here) Chord dacs and they are splendidly open and yet rich.  My only issue is their PCM-bias (i.e one cannot hear native DSD through them....a nit I know).  But Rob, Matt and the entire Chord team know what they are doing.   The lack of noise floor modulation on good PCM recordings is first-class.  That aspect, alone, creates great openness. 

HQP's filter choices are somewhat personal but there are several that work with Chord dacs to produce beautiful music.  The owner needs to simply trial by error.

There’s something else going on here. Something off with the posts. 

So idk *what's going on* but my goal right now is to find some settings with some horrible files I have, some poop old files I can't find a high resolution version of. 

I have figured out the filters I like for when I do my usual listening with roon/Tidal ect. And I love the sound and don't want artificial brightness, I'm enjoying what I hear even more so with hqplayer. 

But I do have some garbage files I want to brighten through hqplayer if possible to make them more enjoyable for me. 

On a side note, I've been experimenting with the settings and found as soon as I get into the poly sinc long (anything) the app crashes... Within first track, in fact there are a lot of filters that give me crashing issues. 

I feed roon via USB to tt2. 

I have a 16gbram /i5/ laptop, nothing wild. But idk. I don't think it's the problem? 

9 hours ago, CheapSplurge said:

On a side note, I've been experimenting with the settings and found as soon as I get into the poly sinc long (anything) the app crashes... Within first track, in fact there are a lot of filters that give me crashing issues. 

Crash you mean the application closes? Or just a long initialization wait? You can certainly find rate conversion factors where initializing poly-sinc-long can take hours. In other cases it can be like 30 seconds or so.

If you have "Adaptive output rate" enabled, initialization times are fairly short. If your conversion is from 44.1k family to 48k family, prepare for long initialization times. If your conversion is from 48k family to 44.1k family, the wait is much shorter.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

2 hours ago, Miska said:

Crash you mean the application closes? Or just a long initialization wait? You can certainly find rate conversion factors where initializing poly-sinc-long can take hours. In other cases it can be like 30 seconds or so.

If you have "Adaptive output rate" enabled, initialization times are fairly short. If your conversion is from 44.1k family to 48k family, prepare for long initialization times. If your conversion is from 48k family to 44.1k family, the wait is much shorter.

It closes, I use tidal to roon to 768 hqp

16 minutes ago, CheapSplurge said:

It closes, I use tidal to roon to 768 hqp

OK, something is going wrong then. Is it stock Windows 10? Latest updates installed and latest version of HQPlayer? ASIO backend in use? Because it could be also ASIO driver crash.

So it happens when you press play? Does the progress spinner appear / disappear from display before the crash?

You could also check that log file is enabled, if not, enable log file and restart HQPlayer, then reproduce the crash and email me the log file (instructions for locating the log file can be found from Troubleshooting section of the manual).

23 hours ago, Miska said:

OK, something is going wrong then. Is it stock Windows 10? Latest updates installed and latest version of HQPlayer? ASIO backend in use? Because it could be also ASIO driver crash.

So it happens when you press play? Does the progress spinner appear / disappear from display before the crash?

You could also check that log file is enabled, if not, enable log file and restart HQPlayer, then reproduce the crash and email me the log file (instructions for locating the log file can be found from Troubleshooting section of the manual).

Windows 10 normal

Latest hqp

When using most filters I eventually hear static in the right Channel.

How do I enable the log stuff? 

5 hours ago, CheapSplurge said:

How do I enable the log stuff? 

In Settings dialog.

When using most filters I eventually hear static in the right Channel.

Now I'm experiencing quiet pops and clicks in both channels.

These sound like USB transfer problems, like lost micro frames and such.

On 7/12/2020 at 2:09 PM, Miska said:

In Settings dialog.

These sound like USB transfer problems, like lost micro frames and such.

On 7/12/2020 at 2:21 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

@CheapSplurge I highly recommend a cheap certified USB cable for trouble shooting. 

Used the stock USB a to b provided by chord (certified USB) same stuff happened. I was able to located the log file checkmark. 

But idk how to share the log file with you guys. 

A lot of thr filters simply don't work. As soon as I play them I get static in one of the channels or plays extremely weird. 

Something is wrong. 

Backend is Asio, do I choose wasapi instead.? 

Weird as this has happened more recently... 

10 minutes ago, CheapSplurge said:

Just wondering 

In the settings I got both volume at - 3db.

Why is the knob red? 

20200713_184937.jpg

By setting both the Max and Min Volume settings to -3, you have deactivated the Volume Control knob on the main panel. My guess is that is why it is red.

The defaults are Min=-60 and Max=-3.  That translates to the full counterclockwise on the Volume knob being -60 while the full clockwise position being -3. In other words, the Min and Max define the limits of the Volume control knob.

If you are using some other device (e.g. preamp, DAC) to control volume, then you can keep HQP volume at Max (full clockwise).

8 minutes ago, ericuco said:

By setting both the Max and Min Volume settings to -3, you have deactivated the Volume Control knob on the main panel. My guess is that is why it is red.

The defaults are Min=-60 and Max=-3.  That translates to the full counterclockwise on the Volume knob being -60 while the full clockwise position being -3. In other words, the Min and Max define the limits of the Volume control knob.

If you are using some other device (e.g. preamp, DAC) to control volume, then you can keep HQP volume at Max (full clockwise).

I use anothee dac via usb

Should I change my settings? 

8 hours ago, CheapSplurge said:

A lot of thr filters simply don't work. As soon as I play them I get static in one of the channels or plays extremely weird. 

Something is wrong. 

My Mojo does the same every now and then. Even when used with iPhone with Camera Connection Kit. I noticed that it is very sensitive to the USB cable, with some cables it happens more frequently than with others.

Now with my recent HQPlayer OS images (Linux) it has not happened yet, but OTOH I don't use it for lengthy times that way.

Backend is Asio, do I choose wasapi instead.?

Try setting Buffer Time to 100 ms to see if it makes any difference. And then try switching to WASAPI and still leave Buffer Time set to 100 ms. There is no loss in functionality using WASAPI instead.

Why is the knob red?

Limited counter has incremented from 0? If that is the case, you need to set volume lower, in 1 dB steps until it stops happening.

How do I send log file?

Attach it to email and send it to me. Email address is on my web page (it is there as a picture and I try to avoid writing it out here to avoid collecting too much spam).

In the settings I got both volume at - 3db.

Why is the knob red? 

HQP contains automatic Limiter that will reduce volume on respective channels when output exceeds 0 db. When the limit is reached, the button turns red. In such cases I reduced the volume control from -3dB to -4dB. That fixed the problem.

8 hours ago, Miska said:

My Mojo does the same every now and then. Even when used with iPhone with Camera Connection Kit. I noticed that it is very sensitive to the USB cable, with some cables it happens more frequently than with others.

Now with my recent HQPlayer OS images (Linux) it has not happened yet, but OTOH I don't use it for lengthy times that way.

Try setting Buffer Time to 100 ms to see if it makes any difference. And then try switching to WASAPI and still leave Buffer Time set to 100 ms. There is no loss in functionality using WASAPI instead.

Limited counter has incremented from 0? If that is the case, you need to set volume lower, in 1 dB steps until it stops happening.

Attach it to email and send it to me. Email address is on my web page (it is there as a picture and I try to avoid writing it out here to avoid collecting too much spam).

OK will do so tonight after work. How do I find this log file so I can send to you

As far as the volume goes, I want my dac to handle all volume so I set to - 3min and max! Am I doing it wrong?