IGNORED

HQ Player

4 minutes ago, CheapSplurge said:

As far as the volume goes, I want my dac to handle all volume so I set to - 3min and max! Am I doing it wrong? 

I would just do this the easy way. Leave the volume settings normal, with something like min -60 / max 0, and set the dial to -3. If you get overs ( the dial turns red) then move it to -5. 

There are plenty of ways to do it. This is just how I do it. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

There are plenty of ways to do it. This is just how I do it. 

AS you mention Chris, there are a million ways to do this. I set min and max to -3 in HQPlayer settings and leave it at that if I am not using the volume control in HQP.

No electron left behind.

Sorry in advance and I feel like I should now the answer to this, but for testing purposes - in a 2 computer setup (roon core/server on one wkst and HQP on second wkst) can I hook up the second wkst directly to DAC via USB and still use ROON and push to the HQP wkst (asio/waspi out)?  I want to remove my NAA endpoint (OR) as test but don't want to lose my ROON functions?

My rig

5 minutes ago, Foggie said:

Sorry in advance and I feel like I should now the answer to this, but for testing purposes - in a 2 computer setup (roon core/server on one wkst and HQP on second wkst) can I hook up the second wkst directly to DAC via USB and still use ROON and push to the HQP wkst (asio/waspi out)?  I want to remove my NAA endpoint (OR) as test but don't want to lose my ROON functions?

Short answer is "Yes".  It should work as described as long as they are on the same network.

FYI for those early adopters, it looks like the macOS Big Sur beta doesn’t get along with HQPlayer. When I try to play a track it looks like it wants to start but then stops.

Weird thing is I initially installed the beta as an update to Catalina and HQPlayer worked, but when I did a fresh install, I now can’t seem to get it to work. 

Curious to hear if anyone has better luck.

3 hours ago, djn04 said:

FYI for those early adopters, it looks like the macOS Big Sur beta doesn’t get along with HQPlayer. When I try to play a track it looks like it wants to start but then stops.

Weird thing is I initially installed the beta as an update to Catalina and HQPlayer worked, but when I did a fresh install, I now can’t seem to get it to work. 

Any errors in the log / status bar when starting playback?

Sounds like potentially some new security feature blocking things, since fresh install breaks something update doesn't...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

2 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Trying sinc-L.Get constant drop outs.Cpu showing 29%.Memory showing 61% of 16gb ?

Any individual cores under high load? Total CPU load is not very representative figure.

Depending on output rate, it is not unusual to need Nvidia GPU offload to make sinc-L work.

2 hours ago, Gavin1977 said:

@Miska any feedback on this?

I also assume that multicore dsp is enabled as default in HQPlayer embedded?

There's "Auto rate family" checkbox on Embedded web interface.

Multicore defaults to "auto" on Embedded. It can be modified by manually modifying the configuration file. It is not in the web interface, because it is something that would be typically set by the hardware manufacturer (since Embedded is designed to be sort of device firmware).

18 hours ago, elan120 said:

Short answer is "Yes".  It should work as described as long as they are on the same network.

That's encouraging - will the HQP wkst (2nd computer direct to DAC) basically act as the NAA in this scenario?

My rig

1 hour ago, Foggie said:

That's encouraging - will the HQP wkst (2nd computer direct to DAC) basically act as the NAA in this scenario?

Not really. A NAA is generally a fanless, low-powered computer with no spinning HDD so it is as quiet electronically and mechanically as possible. By being connected via Ethernet (or fiber optic) helps isolate the NAA from upstream noise so you have a quiet source connected to your DAC.

On the other hand, a HQP workstation (Desktop or Embedded) is a high-powered (noisier) computer needed to do all the heavy lifting.

3 minutes ago, ericuco said:

Not really. A NAA is generally a fanless, low-powered computer with no spinning HDD so it is as quiet electronically and mechanically as possible. By being connected via Ethernet (or fiber optic) helps isolate the NAA from upstream noise so you have a quiet source connected to your DAC.

On the other hand, a HQP workstation (Desktop or Embedded) is a high-powered (noisier) computer needed to do all the heavy lifting.

Thanks! but my initial response indicated my setup + experiment goal which includes an NAA (OR) and am familiar with most of this stuff -  I was just trying to get an idea on if what I wanted to do will work with roon.  I just couldn't find it in other threads and was more of a preemptive "how to" 👍

My rig

15 hours ago, Miska said:

Any errors in the log / status bar when starting playback?

Sounds like potentially some new security feature blocking things, since fresh install breaks something update doesn't...

The status bar alternates between # CoreAudio output StartOnDemand(): clCoreAudioEngine::Start(): AudioDeviceStart()

and Processing Time: 0:06.402 (m:s:ss)

4 minutes ago, djn04 said:

The status bar alternates between # CoreAudio output StartOnDemand(): clCoreAudioEngine::Start(): AudioDeviceStart()

and Processing Time: 0:06.402 (m:s:ss)

OK, so the last phase of starting playback fails for some reason... It could be some new permission is needed for this or similar. I need to check their documentation if they have introduced some new permission requests also for playback side (there is already for recording before).

But sounds strange because for recording side they don't give errors, just produce silence. For playback they could and would probably do the same instead of failing... Have you checked that the output device you are trying to use is NOT set as default macOS audio output device or output device for system notifications?

3 hours ago, Foggie said:

It will acted as single computer connected directly to the DAC without NAA.

56 minutes ago, Foggie said:

Thanks! but my initial response indicated my setup + experiment goal which includes an NAA (OR) and am familiar with most of this stuff -  I was just trying to get an idea on if what I wanted to do will work with roon.

When connect to the same network, you can have multiple combinations with more or less number of computers.  For example, ROON core can be on one computer, HQPlayer can be on second computer, NAA on a third computer, and ROON control can be on a fourth computer.

6 hours ago, Miska said:

OK, so the last phase of starting playback fails for some reason... It could be some new permission is needed for this or similar. I need to check their documentation if they have introduced some new permission requests also for playback side (there is already for recording before).

But sounds strange because for recording side they don't give errors, just produce silence. For playback they could and would probably do the same instead of failing... Have you checked that the output device you are trying to use is NOT set as default macOS audio output device or output device for system notifications?

Checked the output device in system preferences and the DAC is not set as the default. I checked and HQPlayer has access to the microphone.

7 hours ago, Miska said:

I can't locate the log file to send to you

3 hours ago, craighartley said:

I am trying the HQPD Control app on iOS. I can’t find the ‘Now playing’ screen. Can anyone help?!

I had to look for it a bit too before I figured out. Pull up from the menu bar at bottom where you have the buttons to select library view. It is stacked view with the library...

23 hours ago, Miska said:

And here's a snippet from the log if that gives you any clues.

1730497482_ScreenShot2020-07-17at8_12_38AM.png.59a86952aa2c626b14a86770fc0fdd91.png

8 minutes ago, djn04 said:

And here's a snippet from the log if that gives you any clues.

1730497482_ScreenShot2020-07-17at8_12_38AM.png.59a86952aa2c626b14a86770fc0fdd91.png

Looks normal, but the start fails for some reason. You are certain that there are no other running applications possibly accessing the same device?

And HQPlayer 4 Desktop installed on the same computer ends up with similar error (without NAA, just local connection to the DAC)?

1 hour ago, Miska said:

Looks normal, but the start fails for some reason. You are certain that there are no other running applications possibly accessing the same device?

And HQPlayer 4 Desktop installed on the same computer ends up with similar error (without NAA, just local connection to the DAC)?

I'm not using an NAA. The DAC (Topping D90 MQA) is attached to the computer running HQPlayer. I checked Audio MIDI Setup and the DAC is not the default output. I don't see any other apps running in the Activity Monitor that could be interferring with HQPlayer.