IGNORED

HQ Player

Has there been any measurement thats show the difference between no dithering and basic dither when upsampling?

Ive found  comparisons of dither and noise shaping.

also comparisons of upsampled 24 bit data truncated to 16 bit vs dithered to 16 bit... that is still different to upsampling 16bit 44.1khz to 24bit without dither and sending it to a 24bit non-oversampling DAC, right? no truncation in that case?

About NAA : there is no configuration but there is a xml file in /etc/networkaudiod/networkaudiod.xml (i use GentooPlayer on USBridge).

What is the impact of this file and of  " period_time="100"  ".
It's a buffer data ? .. no correlation with HQPlayer buffer (ex: 50ms) ?

Or no adjustment and optimization in NAA or only (perhaps) via alsa ??

ROON + HQP / Hdplex H3-i5 + 400ATX >Gustard A26 (NAA twk) > SQM > Benchmark AHB2 / Recital Audio Illumine HEFA

CAPS Twenty? Explication please ...

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

The Twenty.One is described in detail in your well presented article/video, but the Twenty - high powered server isn't described, which what does the HQ Player work, right?  

What are the specs/components in that optimized, state of the art unit?

Would be interesting to learn how the CAPS 20 two part compares sonically to the SGM Extreme, an HQ Player machine with no expenses spared.

Tone with Soul

2 minutes ago, 57gold said:

The Twenty.One is described in detail in your well presented article/video, but the Twenty - high powered server isn't described, which what does the HQ Player work, right?  

What are the specs/components in that optimized, state of the art unit?

Would be interesting to learn how the CAPS 20 two part compares sonically to the SGM Extreme, an HQ Player machine with no expenses spared.

Full article and video coming in a couple weeks. I'm taking next week off, so there will be no work done on it until the following week.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

12 hours ago, bobflood said:

Hi Chris, Try testing DSD ASDM7EC 256 against DSD ASDM7 512 &1024. It would be interesting to see what effect the higher rates have vs the EC modulation both using ASDM7. I am curious to see if you can even get to DSD ASDM7 1024 and have it remain stable without liquid cooling of the CPU.

Also, try testing various filters (straight and 2s) at progressively higher DSD rates with and without the GPU to see which filters truly need the GPU. My guess is that at DSD ASDM7EC 256 you will need the GPU for most filters.

Have fun.  :)

Hey Bob, this is exactly what I was looking for. I have a few combinations of stuff that I like and I want to try, but nothing beats the community jumping in to let me know what they'd like to try and what they use etc...

ASDM7 at DSD512 and DSD1024 poly sinc mp filters (straight and 2s) is a breeze on CAPS Twenty. ASDM7EC with DSD256 and my mp filters (straight and 2s) is also a breeze without any issues. 

Right now I'm running DSD256, poly-sinc-long-mp-2s, ASDM7EC. The CPU is running at roughly 12% and the GPU is roughly at 8%.

The interesting question of higher rate DSD vs lower rate and the EC modulator is something I'm not sure I can answer yet. It will also be dependent on the DAC. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

35 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hey Bob, this is exactly what I was looking for. I have a few combinations of stuff that I like and I want to try, but nothing beats the community jumping in to let me know what they'd like to try and what they use etc...

ASDM7 at DSD512 and DSD1024 poly sinc mp filters (straight and 2s) is a breeze on CAPS Twenty. ASDM7EC with DSD256 and my mp filters (straight and 2s) is also a breeze without any issues. 

Right now I'm running DSD256, poly-sinc-long-mp-2s, ASDM7EC. The CPU is running at roughly 12% and the GPU is roughly at 8%.

The interesting question of higher rate DSD vs lower rate and the EC modulator is something I'm not sure I can answer yet. It will also be dependent on the DAC. 

Thanks Chris, The filters that will probably push it harder are the sinc M and closed form M type filters. I can only get those to run on my machine in PCM but I don't have a GPU. I need a passively cooled setup as my machine also serves as my office desktop and it is to close to the main music system in the living room.

1 hour ago, bobflood said:

Thanks Chris, The filters that will probably push it harder are the sinc M and closed form M type filters. I can only get those to run on my machine in PCM but I don't have a GPU. I need a passively cooled setup as my machine also serves as my office desktop and it is to close to the main music system in the living room.

with the right fans you can reach under 30dba noise from your sitting position using the bios to dial in fan speeds which is probably quiet enough.

On another note I can't  believe  how some people particularly  at ASR cannot hear the difference between filters, with the right track i can 100% reliably tell that closed-form M shifts the position  of instruments a little, i also notice some small differences in reverb/echo decay in bells between sinc-L/closed-form M, and poly-sinc ext2 with Sinc-L having the best decay followed by ext2 which sound more similar in the decay, while I feel that closed-form  M cuts the reverb a tiny bit more quickly.

26 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Smooth as butter at DSD256 and ASDM7EC :~)

Chris, have you tried single stage XTR filter at 48xDSD512 with your CAP Twenty? If the XTR filter works at 48xDSD512 rate, that would be a major and significant achievement. The follow up question would be does it work at 48xDSD512 with the ASDM7EC modulator?

If the answer to the XTR filter is negative, my next interested is if the EXT2 filter with ADM7EC modulator works at 48x512DSD on the CAP Twenty.

Eagerly awaiting your results. 

44 minutes ago, Carlos269 said:

Chris, have you tried single stage XTR filter at 48xDSD512 with your CAP Twenty? If the XTR filter works at 48xDSD512 rate, that would be a major and significant achievement. The follow up question would be does it work at 48xDSD512 with the ASDM7EC modulator?

If the answer to the XTR filter is negative, my next interested is if the EXT2 filter with ADM7EC modulator works at 48x512DSD on the CAP Twenty.

Eagerly awaiting your results. 

Smooth as butter XTR 48xDSD512 ASDM7.

EC and 512 are a no-go.

EC modulators at DSD512 were added by @Miska at the request of CPU and GPU manufacturers, so they could develop new models and sell them to audiophiles. Only joking. 

Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 11.47.28 AM.png

On 7/2/2020 at 1:42 PM, numlog said:

also comparisons of upsampled 24 bit data truncated to 16 bit vs dithered to 16 bit... that is still different to upsampling 16bit 44.1khz to 24bit without dither and sending it to a 24bit non-oversampling DAC, right? no truncation in that case?

If you upsample 16-bit data, with 24-bit or 32-bit output, you still need dither/noise-shaper to avoid producing distortion. The computed values have much higher precision than 32-bit integer can hold, and thus the word length reduction to output resolution needs to be managed properly.

There is no need to avoid dither/noise-shaper.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

17 hours ago, Yviena said:

with the right fans you can reach under 30dba noise from your sitting position using the bios to dial in fan speeds which is probably quiet enough.

On another note I can't  believe  how some people particularly  at ASR cannot hear the difference between filters, with the right track i can 100% reliably tell that closed-form M shifts the position  of instruments a little, i also notice some small differences in reverb/echo decay in bells between sinc-L/closed-form M, and poly-sinc ext2 with Sinc-L having the best decay followed by ext2 which sound more similar in the decay, while I feel that closed-form  M cuts the reverb a tiny bit more quickly.

I hear exactly the same difference.

Anyone have any tips for getting Sync L to work on 8700k without dropouts?  I’m presently just using Windows to test with T+A DAC 8 DSD as I need the new firmware before the DAC will take DSD512 in Linux.

I switched to ‘high performance’ mode in Windows as Jussi suggested, but stutter remains

Thanks

19 hours ago, Yviena said:

It's not just about the fan noise itself. A fan generates vibrations and may transmit them to the housing and sensitive computer components. Modern fans are controlled via PWM (pulse width modulation), which switches the power on and off at a high frequency.

I don't want that in my audio PC. It makes an audible difference in my system. 😉

I have been mucking around with REW this afternoon, and I just finished making the changes I want. However I am not sure how I load into HQ Player.

I know I use Convolution setup and then check it is enabled before browsing to my left and right filters. However I am not sure what filter to point to, REW lets you create everything from 8k to 1536k, and I am not sure what to create and the load, I think Roon asks for a zip with all filters included but I don't think its the same for HQ Player, does anyone know the correct approach? I usually upsample to DSD 256 anyway. Thanks.

1 minute ago, rossco said:

I have been mucking around with REW this afternoon, and I just finished making the changes I want. However I am not sure how I load into HQ Player.

I know I use Convolution setup and then check it is enabled before browsing to my left and right filters. However I am not sure what filter to point to, REW lets you create everything from 8k to 1536k, and I am not sure what to create and the load, I think Roon asks for a zip with all filters included but I don't think its the same for HQ Player, does anyone know the correct approach? I usually upsample to DSD 256 anyway. Thanks.

Create a convolution filter at 352.8 kHz and split it into left and right channels. Then upload those to HQP. That's what I do. I'm sure there are many ways to get this done though.