IGNORED

HQ Player

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I'm sure there are many ways to get this done though.

I use 384kHz files. This is probably the best option for me, since I can activate 48k DSD for the Denafrips Terminator in HQPlayer. So it also depends on the DAC. 😉

On 7/3/2020 at 2:20 PM, ray-dude said:

I can only speak to Chord DACs, but in addition to the above, DAC bits and buffer both serve as final "tone" controls for me (I use USB from Taiko Extreme to my DAVE).  Sound is most incisive sounding at 32, as I step down I can even out the mid range presentation (I'm usually around 29 or 30). Buffer time is less impactful for me, but does impact dynamics for me (this may be more system specific than DAC specific). Higher buffer is slower (but fuller), with lower buffer more dynamic (but perhaps thinner).  I'm usually 20 or 50ms.

These really are final tweaks for me.  Get your preferred filters and noise shapers, then use these settings for the very final tweaks.  In general, I've found that the more I improve my digital chain (power, etc), the more I'm able to push incisiveness and dynamics and still have things sound natural and relaxed.

YMMV of course...this is subtle stuff, and very system specific.

What are best settings to simulate mscaler? 

Or for more midforward shaper? 

10 minutes ago, ray-dude said:

The modulator section only applies if you're upsampling DSD content.  Tidal content is PCM, so it goes down the PCM Defaults path.  If you happen to play any DSD content, it will go down the SDM defaults path, and use that modulator.  Choice of modulator is dependent on the power of your computer (some are VERY compute heavy) and what sounds good to you.  In your case, 99% of the time it won't matter.

If you set Vol Min and Vol Max both to -3dB, it will fix the output volume, and you will control volume on your DAC.  As background HQP can also control volume, and these settings set the min and max volume settings for HQP.  If you're controlling volume with your DAC (which is what I do), setting both to -3dB basically sets HQP at max volume output.

Thanks so much for, I truly appreciate your help

Looking at my settings is there anything I need to change? 

What filters make the sound more mid forward? 

Also should I have adaptive output rate checked on? Even if my default out mode is pcm? Since I'm just Tidal to roon? 

21 hours ago, ray-dude said:

Here are my current settings.  sinc-M and LNS15 gets you mScaler-like, and adjusting buffer time and DAC bits gets you that final tuning to your ear.

I find the sinc-L quite nice as well (more for some albums than others), but I keep coming back to sinc-M

image.thumb.png.ee693110fbf4df522754f561d26f1626.png

Thanks for the suggestion with bits and buffer. Setting my embedded to TT2 to your settings enabled Sinc-M to better The long-lp for me. Most enjoyable. 

21 hours ago, ray-dude said:

The modulator section only applies if you're upsampling DSD content.  Tidal content is PCM, so it goes down the PCM Defaults path.  If you happen to play any DSD content, it will go down the SDM defaults path, and use that modulator.  Choice of modulator is dependent on the power of your computer (some are VERY compute heavy) and what sounds good to you.  In your case, 99% of the time it won't matter.

This is output mode driven.

Since "Default Output Mode" is set to PCM, it always goes with the "PCM Defaults", regardless if source is PCM or DSD.

If output mode is set to SDM (DSD), it always goes with the "SDM Defaults", regardless if source is PCM or DSD.

If output mode is set to [source], then it goes as you say, but taking into account that in that case the two "Oversampling" settings never apply to anything, since it only matters for PCM -> SDM conversion case.

Whenever source is DSD, then in addition settings in "DSD Sources" dialog apply. Which ones, depends on the output mode (PCM or SDM).

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

10 minutes ago, Miska said:

This is because of the Audeze DSP preset. In this case it is normal and should be fine. HQPlayer gets the processed 64-bit floating point data from Roon to maintain maximum precision.

Thanks so much for,, are you aware of any hqplayer settings that would elevate of push the mids more forward? 

6 minutes ago, CheapSplurge said:

Thanks so much for,, are you aware of any hqplayer settings that would elevate of push the mids more forward? 

You mean "more on your face"? I would say your current settings are already quite forward sounding. But since you are using headphones, you could try enabling pipeline matrix and from there headphone cross-feed. These also allow some amount of adjustment with different default profiles and also possibility to create a custom one.

40 minutes ago, Miska said:

You mean "more on your face"? I would say your current settings are already quite forward sounding. But since you are using headphones, you could try enabling pipeline matrix and from there headphone cross-feed. These also allow some amount of adjustment with different default profiles and also possibility to create a custom one.

Yes. 

I'm wondering is there any settings I need to alter in roon as well for best headphone experience as well as hqplayer? 

Jussi , Quick question. Please explain a bit about the ASDM7 512+fs filter and the reference to multi-bit. I have using it lately on my Spring 2 DAC at DSD512 with poly sinc ext2 and it does indeed have similarities to 7xx PCM but I can still tell it is SDM. I am intrigued. Please indulge my cuiosity.  Thanks, Bob

11 hours ago, bobflood said:

Jussi , Quick question. Please explain a bit about the ASDM7 512+fs filter and the reference to multi-bit. I have using it lately on my Spring 2 DAC at DSD512 with poly sinc ext2 and it does indeed have similarities to 7xx PCM but I can still tell it is SDM. I am intrigued. Please indulge my cuiosity.  Thanks, Bob

It is a strange beast of modulator designed for very high rates. If possible, it would be even better running Spring 2 at DSD1024 with it.

I don't really want to go into technical details how it works.

15 minutes ago, CheapSplurge said:

Just got a raspberry 4.  It had volumio on it and roon recognized it. 

But how do I set up hqplayer to input into it via roon? 

Like in the output device settings. I don't see a pi anywhere as choice 

20200706_184106.jpg

Your Pi needs to run NAA. Then HQP will see it. Roon outputs to HQP, HQP outputs to NAA. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

12 minutes ago, CheapSplurge said:

Which do I download and I just put it on the pi SD card? After I erase and format the SD card that goes into the pi? And the HQP image is the only thing that should be in the SD card for the pi? 

Use Balena Etcher to write the image to the card, put the card into the Pi, then power it on. Done. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png