IGNORED

HQ Player

1 hour ago, djn04 said:

I'm not using an NAA. The DAC (Topping D90 MQA) is attached to the computer running HQPlayer. I checked Audio MIDI Setup and the DAC is not the default output. I don't see any other apps running in the Activity Monitor that could be interferring with HQPlayer.

OK, no idea then...

Of course you can work around this problem by using a NAA, for example the NAA OS bootable image.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

6 hours ago, MemoryPlayer said:

Nothing wrong, only poor!

If I understand Miska's intentions right (nothing for sure I may be easily wrong) he has no interest in creating visual candies. Audio is about audio, not about video. There is a choice of less advanced players which may looks more attractive.

6 hours ago, Miska said:

Improved in which sense? Can you describe what is missing/wrong from the Client?

Better library view..., something like JRiver or Audirvana view! By the way, album view in client is confusing with so many info...

No other software player sounds so good as HQPlayer in Mac, Win or Linux, but it deserves a better GUI in my modest point of view.

40 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

I am not using Client at all and everything is acceptable. As per my knowledge nobody offered better software player in Mac OS environment yet.

Client should have decent amount of visual candies too. Server side is intentionally stripped down to managing settings and having bare minimum playback controls.

For using library functionality of HQPlayer Desktop, either Client is needed, or some other remote control app like HQPDcontrol.

1 minute ago, MemoryPlayer said:

Better library view..., something like JRiver or Audirvana view! By the way, album view in client is confusing with so many info...

No other software player sounds so good as HQPlayer in Mac, Win or Linux, but it deserves a better GUI in my modest point of view.

What is wrong with the current one? I have never used JRiver. I've used Audirvana, but I don't see how it would be providing any better library functionalities than Client. In which way it is confusing?

Search functionality should be pretty decent too. For example I can search for DSD64 albums, something that I have not figured out how to do on Roon yet.

Client is trying to be the "better GUI" that got quite a bit of work from v3 where it started as alternative GUI mode.

1 hour ago, Miska said:

For example I can search for DSD64 albums, something that I have not figured out how to do on Roon yet.

Use Focus. I only have DSD 256 but with DSD 64 it should work too. 😉

spacer.png

I do not understand the whole excitement. For me, Roon has the best user interface ever. The algorithms from HQPlayer are the best that I know. The two worlds are very easy to combine.

1 hour ago, Miska said:

What is wrong with the current one? I have never used JRiver. I've used Audirvana, but I don't see how it would be providing any better library functionalities than Client. In which way it is confusing?

Search functionality should be pretty decent too. For example I can search for DSD64 albums, something that I have not figured out how to do on Roon yet.

Client is trying to be the "better GUI" that got quite a bit of work from v3 where it started as alternative GUI mode.

I was using any player available. HQP is still the easiest, simpler and up to the task - with most preferable sound. Even without the Client.

On 7/17/2020 at 11:56 AM, Miska said:

OK, no idea then...

Of course you can work around this problem by using a NAA, for example the NAA OS bootable image.

I think it's some sort of USB issue. I tried playing HQPlayer out of the internal speakers and it worked, but I can't get it to work on the three USB DACs I tried. Roon has no problem playing on the DACs on the same machine. Weird. I guess that's why they call it a beta.

On 7/19/2020 at 9:32 PM, djn04 said:

I think it's some sort of USB issue. I tried playing HQPlayer out of the internal speakers and it worked, but I can't get it to work on the three USB DACs I tried. Roon has no problem playing on the DACs on the same machine. Weird. I guess that's why they call it a beta.

Have you made sure you don't have the same DACs enabled in Roon on the same machine?

2 questions, probably for Miska,

I am using Roon + HQP 4 Dekstop on a mac mini 2020 i7
I limit my setting to 24 bits and 96 KHZ only in PCM
following the recommendations for using HQP, I reduced the volume of HPQ by -2 db.
I see, after comparison, the feeling of losing low frequencies with this reduction in volume of HPQ
the bass are less deep, even if I increase the volume of my amplifier, to compensate for the drop in HQP, I cannot find the same bass level as leaving HPQ at MAX volume.
1: Does HQP volume reduction, reduce frequencies?
2: can I leave the HPQ volume at MAX (button still red)? what risk on my listening in 24/96?
after a few hours of listening with HQP at MAX volume, I did not notice any deterioration of the signal.
thank you in advance.

Hello Miska

I use NAA devices (RPi 4, Cubox or Allo bridge) in my setup.

Yesterday all my NAA access points disappeared from the "to choose from" box. There was no change in my network setup.

Roon (Raat protocol), JRiver(UPnP) and Audirvana (Upnp) as all other network connections work flawless.

I conclude the problem is not based in my network as everything else works just fine.

This is already the second time this happens. The first time the NAA connection came back after two weeks, out of nowhere as it disappeared.

Maybe you find time to repair that NAA protocol or switch to Raat or something stable.

For me NAA is nothing but trouble since years.

thank you.

23 hours ago, Miska said:

Have you made sure you don't have the same DACs enabled in Roon on the same machine?

Went back to Catalina and all is good again. I'll stay away from the betas for a while. Thanks for all the help, especially as it was a beta!

11 hours ago, Lio_B said:

1: Does HQP volume reduction, reduce frequencies?

No... But you can turn up volume on your amp by that 2 dB to get same output level as you'd get for 0 dBFS setting (at the beginning). So same as for dynamic range compression in source material, remember to make sure that you don't end up with "louder sounds better".

11 hours ago, Lio_B said:

2: can I leave the HPQ volume at MAX (button still red)? what risk on my listening in 24/96?

Yes, but it will trigger soft knee limiter every time output level exceeds 0 dBFS. From "Limited" counter you can see how many times it has been triggered. You would want it to stay at 0 all the way from beginning instead of being enforced during listening.

9 hours ago, fheller said:

I use NAA devices (RPi 4, Cubox or Allo bridge) in my setup.

Yesterday all my NAA access points disappeared from the "to choose from" box. There was no change in my network setup.

Roon (Raat protocol), JRiver(UPnP) and Audirvana (Upnp) as all other network connections work flawless.

I conclude the problem is not based in my network as everything else works just fine.

This is already the second time this happens. The first time the NAA connection came back after two weeks, out of nowhere as it disappeared.

I have not seen such behavior, but common reason for such things to happen is when there are more than one active network interface in HQPlayer computer. In such cases, multicast routing becomes problematic. Usually multicasts are routed towards the default connection where the internet gateway is.

9 hours ago, fheller said:

Maybe you find time to repair that NAA protocol or switch to Raat or something stable.

For me NAA is nothing but trouble since years.

To "repair" something, there would first need to be something "broken". In trouble cases often the network setup is something else than what NAA is designed for (regular home network).

RAAT doesn't support IPv6, and I don't like it's way of discovery by pinging every host on the subnet (255 on IPv4 but would be billions on IPv6), and anyway it cannot be used with anything else than Roon.

What would be "something stable"?