IGNORED

HQ Player

So I'm considering purchasing HQPlayer Pro, so that I can pre-upsample my entire library. But someone on a group I'm in mentioned that apparently it can only do 384khz FLAC output, not 768khz. Can anyone confirm if this is indeed the case?

And if so, is there any way to use HQPlayer Pro to upsample my library to 768khz whilst retaining metadata/tagging? Or would I need to look at alternatives?

https://youtube.com/goldensound

Roon -> HQPlayer -> SMS200 Ultra/SPS500 -> Holo Audio May (Wildism Edition) -> Holo Audio Serene (Wildism Edition) -> Benchmark AHB2 -> Hifiman Susvara

On 7/21/2020 at 9:16 PM, Miska said:

Yes, but it will trigger soft knee limiter every time output level exceeds 0 dBFS. From "Limited" counter you can see how many times it has been triggered. You would want it to stay at 0 all the way from beginning instead of being enforced during listening.

Hi Miska,

how can I see how many times it has been trigged ?

somewhere in the log file I imagine ?

thanks

6 hours ago, GoldenOne said:

So I'm considering purchasing HQPlayer Pro, so that I can pre-upsample my entire library. But someone on a group I'm in mentioned that apparently it can only do 384khz FLAC output, not 768khz. Can anyone confirm if this is indeed the case?

And if so, is there any way to use HQPlayer Pro to upsample my library to 768khz whilst retaining metadata/tagging? Or would I need to look at alternatives?

That's the case, because FLAC is limited to max 384k and also 24-bit. With WAV for example you can reach higher.

If you want just PCM, why would you upsample the library instead of doing it on the fly with regular HQPlayer?

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

4 hours ago, Miska said:

That's the case, because FLAC is limited to max 384k and also 24-bit. With WAV for example you can reach higher.

If you want just PCM, why would you upsample the library instead of doing it on the fly with regular HQPlayer?

Mostly just so I can have more reactive control. I find myself using sinc-m the most lately, but oh boy does it take a while to respond once you've paused/skipped etc. Not at all the fault of HQPlayer of course, just something that I'd like to avoid.

So upsampling ahead of time, and then playing those files directly in roon would fix that.
Also I get occasional popping/clicking @ 768khz with HQPlayer NAA on my sms200 ultra (and pi4 for that matter) but not native roon so hopefully it would sort that too. 

Can HQPlayer pro upsample to AIFF @768khz and keep tags/metadata?

Roon -> HQPlayer -> SMS200 Ultra/SPS500 -> Holo Audio May (Wildism Edition) -> Holo Audio Serene (Wildism Edition) -> Benchmark AHB2 -> Hifiman Susvara

Also, could you (or someone else in the know) give me some filter advice?

Is there a benefit to closed-form-M over sinc-M or vice versa? I'm unsure what the differences here would be.

And also, when upsampling to 352.8/384khz would it be more advisable to stay on LNS15? Or move to NS5?

I guess my question is: If upsampling to 384/352.8khz, are there some unquestionably "best" settings? Or will some of these simply just be 'different'

20 hours ago, GoldenOne said:

Also I get occasional popping/clicking @ 768khz with HQPlayer NAA on my sms200 ultra (and pi4 for that matter) but not native roon so hopefully it would sort that too. 

Sounds like a network issue, like non-functional 802.3x support.

20 hours ago, GoldenOne said:

Can HQPlayer pro upsample to AIFF @768khz and keep tags/metadata?

Either to WAV or AIFF same way. Metadata depending on what is the source format, when there's need for translation between different metadata formats, only basic metadata is retained. When the metadata is in same format and doesn't need transform to another format, it is copied as-is.

19 hours ago, GoldenOne said:

Also, could you (or someone else in the know) give me some filter advice?

poly-sinc-ext2 is pretty nice and works for various different cases.

Is there a benefit to closed-form-M over sinc-M or vice versa? I'm unsure what the differences here would be.

No benefit, but the two are very different in terms of process. closed-form is strictly non-apodizing, so you won't get correction for problematic source material.

And also, when upsampling to 352.8/384khz would it be more advisable to stay on LNS15? Or move to NS5?

LNS15 is fine...

I guess my question is: If upsampling to 384/352.8khz, are there some unquestionably "best" settings? Or will some of these simply just be 'different'

Dither/noise-shaper adjustments are to some extent DAC dependent. For filter there are no "best" settings, but depend more on source material and your personal preferences.

@Miska Thank you so much for all the information. I really really appreciate it.
One final question I had, I know that in the past you'd said to use a bit depth of 20 for the holo spring 2.

Is this the same for the may? (Which measures slightly better). I wasn't sure if I should set it to 20 or something else

It has a dynamic range/SNR of just over 140dB according to atomicbob's measurements. Though I know DR and SINAD aren't the same. I wasn't sure what measurement you should actually be using when choosing what bit-depth to select in HQPlayer.KTE May USB ASIO 44K Bal 160 dBFS scale redux (1).pdf

On 7/26/2020 at 3:06 PM, bobflood said:

Next:

Change the min/max settings to "-5" on each. You still have a red warning on the volume control. This means that the material you are playing is triggering the limiter.

I appreciate you! 

I've tried it all, and it no longer gives me those static in one channel, no more pops and clicks 

But still limited to sync M and just a few others. 

Additionally I ended up to - 8 on min and max and still get the red knob. It won't allow me to push it all the way to the right. 

Idk what to do. 

20200728_195106.jpg

18 minutes ago, CheapSplurge said:

I appreciate you! 

I've tried it all, and it no longer gives me those static in one channel, no more pops and clicks 

But still limited to sync M and just a few others. 

Additionally I ended up to - 8 on min and max and still get the red knob. It won't allow me to push it all the way to the right. 

Idk what to do. 

20200728_195106.jpg

For what you wanted to accomplish, sinc M is probably the best filter for you to use anyhow. Some of the other filters may require more computing power than your computer can provide. At -8, I would not worry too much about the red knob unless you hear distortion or the "Limited" number is high. I don't know what kind of material you are playing but it is unusual to get a red knob after -6 or so. You could walk it up in reverse, try -10/-10 and if no red then -9/-9 up until you get the red and then back it down one but as I said, I wouldn't worry about it very much. For now, just enjoy your system!

46 minutes ago, bobflood said:

For what you wanted to accomplish, sinc M is probably the best filter for you to use anyhow. Some of the other filters may require more computing power than your computer can provide. At -8, I would not worry too much about the red knob unless you hear distortion or the "Limited" number is high. I don't know what kind of material you are playing but it is unusual to get a red knob after -6 or so. You could walk it up in reverse, try -10/-10 and if no red then -9/-9 up until you get the red and then back it down one but as I said, I wouldn't worry about it very much. For now, just enjoy your system!

I appreciate you! Using roon with tidal

59 minutes ago, CheapSplurge said:

I appreciate you! Using roon with tidal

I wondered if you were using Roon. If you have any of the Roon DSP options turned on, especially any bass boost, that could explain why you are getting the red knob indication. Make sure that ALL of the Roon DSP options are turned OFF as they are not compatible with HQPlayer without problems like this. If you need anything like that it should be done in HQP but that is probably not something I would recommend for you right now as it can get complex pretty fast.

Enjoy your system and just remember that perfection is not necessary to do that.

1 hour ago, bobflood said:

I wondered if you were using Roon. If you have any of the Roon DSP options turned on, especially any bass boost, that could explain why you are getting the red knob indication. Make sure that ALL of the Roon DSP options are turned OFF as they are not compatible with HQPlayer without problems like this. If you need anything like that it should be done in HQP but that is probably not something I would recommend for you right now as it can get complex pretty fast.

Enjoy your system and just remember that perfection is not necessary to do that.

Absolutely, 

See, I do use the Audeze plug ins in roon while using Hqplayer! Off... That may of been my problem this whole time. 

I appreciate you so much 

Is there a way I can inject the vst plug in (audeze reveal) into hqplayer and enjoy that too? 

39 minutes ago, CheapSplurge said:

Absolutely, 

See, I do use the Audeze plug ins in roon while using Hqplayer! Off... That may of been my problem this whole time. 

I appreciate you so much 

Is there a way I can inject the vst plug in (audeze reveal) into hqplayer and enjoy that too? 

Not that I am aware of. The question has been asked before and I am pretty sure that they are not compatible with HQP.

Is this the same for the may? (Which measures slightly better). I wasn't sure if I should set it to 20 or something else

It has a dynamic range/SNR of just over 140dB according to atomicbob's measurements. Though I know DR and SINAD aren't the same. I wasn't sure what measurement you should actually be using when choosing what bit-depth to select in HQPlayer.

I would stick with 20 bit and noise shaping, it is safe choice and anyway keeps digital noise floor below analog one.

What is the verdict for "Sinc L" filter? I am using a 2070RTX Super and it does not work converting to DSD512.

Does anyone know if this works with 1080TI or any other card? Is it the video card memory issue? it has only 8GB.

I am also running AMD 1920x which is the lowest CPU that allows me to run full XTR without GPU. I am not able to use the GPU with XTR and I have to run it on CPU only (which work fine).

6 hours ago, sbenyo said:

What is the verdict for "Sinc L" filter? I am using a 2070RTX Super and it does not work converting to DSD512.

Does anyone know if this works with 1080TI or any other card? Is it the video card memory issue? it has only 8GB.

Depending on GPU generation, it can take quite a bit of RAM. So likely you are running out of GPU RAM. I posted some RAM figures earlier, and cannot check right now again. But IIRC, it would take closer to 16 GB, and that it didn't run for that reason on my RTX 2080Ti. You could check how much it takes for DSD256 and then multiply that by 2.

6 hours ago, sbenyo said:

I am also running AMD 1920x which is the lowest CPU that allows me to run full XTR without GPU. I am not able to use the GPU with XTR and I have to run it on CPU only (which work fine).

You don't have a Nvidia GPU on it or for some other reason?

22 hours ago, Miska said:

Depending on GPU generation, it can take quite a bit of RAM. So likely you are running out of GPU RAM. I posted some RAM figures earlier, and cannot check right now again. But IIRC, it would take closer to 16 GB, and that it didn't run for that reason on my RTX 2080Ti. You could check how much it takes for DSD256 and then multiply that by 2.

You don't have a Nvidia GPU on it or for some other reason?

Other reason. I have 1920x and RTX 2070S GPU. From some reason I cannot use both CPU and GPU for XTR (sinc-xtr-lp) for DSD512

If I use CPU and GPU, CPU is around 15% and GPU gets as high as 70%+. There are gaps in sound. Every few seconds there is a short stop. If I just use CPU, it gets as high as 35-40% but without and lags/stops.

It's not clear why I cannot benefit better from both and where is the bottle neck with the GPU (memory, clock?)

1 hour ago, sbenyo said:

Other reason. I have 1920x and RTX 2070S GPU. From some reason I cannot use both CPU and GPU for XTR (sinc-xtr-lp) for DSD512

If I use CPU and GPU, CPU is around 15% and GPU gets as high as 70%+. There are gaps in sound. Every few seconds there is a short stop. If I just use CPU, it gets as high as 35-40% but without and lags/stops.

It's not clear why I cannot benefit better from both and where is the bottle neck with the GPU (memory, clock?)

That is normal, you use either one for filters, but never both. Your results just mean that your CPU is faster than the GPU for this task.

question about upsampling settings pcm 1.536mhz
I use an i7 6700 3,4 ghz and an ares 2 as a converter
I tried some filters and shapers but there are always glick during playback even if the cpu is not very busy (2-3%) ..... I ask:
what do you use?
thank you.

sistema:

Server HDPlex (i7-6700-WS2016) HQPlayer con Ramdisk + HQPDcontrol > Macmini (roon core+Qobuz) o HQPlayer Client + Qobuz > HDPlex NAA (celeron G1840T-WS2016) NAD con Ramdisk, o miniPC Fitlet con immagine di Miska > Denafrips Ares2 , SPLvolume2 > Monitor KH+sub

Is there a thread I can read, for novice or beginner users?  I have basic questions that I feel don't belong here.  I'm a blind user, who needs to hear the speech program I use.  When I tried installing HQ, and tried to run it, my speech program went silent.  I'm using 32GB of RAM, so I should have enough to run the player.  Is there somewhere where I can start with basic info?

Thanks.