IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

That makes zero sense from a technical standpoint. You can’t have a DNS server be an FQDN because it wouldn’t be possible to look it up without a DNS server. 

Is it just resolving the name of your router? Yes, I understand your router is just the gateway, not the DNS server. 

Thank you for weighing in, Chris. I know this is familiar turf for you. :-)

Yes, it's the name of my router. I've run with the default setting for years without issues.

Mea culpa if my configuration is incorrect. Screenshot (below) FYI.

Router.png

--

Wouldn't you really rather have a Lumin?

On 7/24/2021 at 12:57 AM, wklie said:

Firmware 14 actually also has the following important changes not listed in the web release notes, applicable to all models:

- Improve network bandwidth usage for gapless playback

- Improve processing efficiency

These could impact SQ, however small the difference is.

I counted 15 positive SQ feedback, 2 negative SQ feedback from three forum and a Facebook group.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

16 hours ago, wklie said:

I'm actually surprised someone can correctly identify our company based on the network data

I believe they use MAC addresses

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall IV

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

7 hours ago, brw said:

Thank you for weighing in, Chris. I know this is familiar turf for you. :-)

Yes, it's the name of my router. I've run with the default setting for years without issues.

Mea culpa if my configuration is incorrect. Screenshot (below) FYI.

Router.png

That’s an interesting “domain name.”

I’d think about using .local or .localdomain or a domain purchased specifically for your internal network (that’s what I do). 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

14 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I’d think about using .local or .localdomain or a domain purchased specifically for your internal network (that’s what I do). 

That makes a lot more sense than a fictitious name. Appreciate the advice.

--

Wouldn't you really rather have a Lumin?

On 7/30/2021 at 1:00 AM, wklie said:

I counted 15 positive SQ feedback, 2 negative SQ feedback from three forum and a Facebook group.

You guys are definitely headed in the right direction. Thank you for the wonderful update.

Can you tell what may be the factors where the negative change is being perceived? Curios if it is as simple as warm vs bright setup or something more complex.

Firmware 14 SQ feedback count update: 18 positive, 3 negative.

Two users reported a faster pace.  Interestingly enough, one considered it to be good, the other considered it to be odd (counted as negative).

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Very nice.  Do the amps come in black and were masks mandated for everyone?

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

1 hour ago, wklie said:

Hong Kong AV Show 2021

Lumin X1 directly connected to a pair of Lumin (class AB) AMP in bridge mode driving Magico S3 Mk II. No preamp is used as we use Leedh Processing Volume in X1 instead.

Network configuration is: Android phone with 21Mbps 4G SIM card USB tether -> Asus WiFi router -> Cisco SG112-24-NA switch - SFP module → Corning single mode fiber → SFP module - Lumin X1

To my surprise, Qobuz 24/192, Tidal MQA, and Spotify all streamed without problem, even with all those crowded visitors and exhibitors in the same area competing for the 4G bandwidth.

Fun fact: a visitor is really excited about the vinyl he purchased from a nearby booth, brought those vinyl to our booth and asked if we could play those vinyl.

(In case anybody is wondering why we can have an audio show, we have 0 local COVID cases here, and all exhibitor staff have to be either fully vaccinated or have negative COVID PCR test.)

IMG_20210806_100754_resize_80.thumb.jpg.f821f1d00b79615c2aee66c70996b095.jpg

Love this.

The X1 and AMP are fantastic products!

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I know that many subscribe to the theory that having a piece of equipment turned on constantly is better for the product's life AND performance.

SO my Lumin is mostly kept powered up, and of course goes into Standby mode automatically after use.

The Power switch is on the REAR of the power supply, presumably to make it more difficult for the owner to switch the power supply off. Is that the case?  When I had previous generations of Lumins, with the power switch on the front, it was SO much more convenient.

What I am concerned about, is the HEAT which is generated from my X1 power supply.   It does stay VERY hot at all times, and that's just the casing, so I imagine that the inside must be even hotter.

Should I be concerned about this at all?

Mine was powered on constantly for well over two years and never got more than what I would consider warm to the touch.  Mine was running at 115VAC input and yours, I believe you are from the U.K., is running at twice that but I wouldn't think that's a contributing factor to heat generation but I could be wrong because the input power should be the same regardless of the input voltage.

Than again, relative "hotness" can be a personal thing too.  Can you take its temperature either with an IR heat gun or another method?

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

3 hours ago, vintageaxeman said:

I know that many subscribe to the theory that having a piece of equipment turned on constantly is better for the product's life AND performance.

SO my Lumin is mostly kept powered up, and of course goes into Standby mode automatically after use.

The Power switch is on the REAR of the power supply, presumably to make it more difficult for the owner to switch the power supply off. Is that the case?  When I had previous generations of Lumins, with the power switch on the front, it was SO much more convenient.

What I am concerned about, is the HEAT which is generated from my X1 power supply.   It does stay VERY hot at all times, and that's just the casing, so I imagine that the inside must be even hotter.

Should I be concerned about this at all?

I don't have the X1, but a U1 with the X1 power supply. It's not cold, but never hot like over 30C case temperature and not much headroom either about 20mm below a shelf.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

30 degrees C is not hot.  I'd say it's quite normal.

For the UK readers here, please help check:

1. Can you browse and add BBC radio station to your free TuneIn account via TuneIn web site while in UK?

2. If the answer is yes, can you play them properly with Lumin firmware 14.1?

3. If the answer is no, can you add BBC radio stations as custom URL and play them properly with Lumin firmware 14.1?

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

The website will not show BBC stations or even show them as my chosen stations when I already have them as 'Favourites' in other apps.

For example they are clearly shown and in my B&O app and also in ROON. They both play.

When I try to add BBC stations it says:

"Regional restriction.

Not available in your area"