IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

@One and a half … just added few albums to my library … the Minimserver rescan did last 30/40 seconds as I told before and the Lumïn app update library more or less 8 minutes … actually not an overnight task …

… btw … be sure not to issue the Reload Library as it can be very long, the right command is Update Music Library that in normal condition should start automatically when new albums are detected by the app … and wait until the spinning wheel on the right of the Minimserver name in the app will disappear 

D8362A43-B05D-4D00-B360-98653B29245C.jpeg

Stefano

My audio system

21 minutes ago, stefano_mbp said:

@One and a half … just added few albums to my library … the Minimserver rescan did last 30/40 seconds as I told before and the Lumïn app update library more or less 8 minutes … actually not an overnight task …

… btw … be sure not to issue the Reload Library as it can be very long, the right command is Update Music Library that in normal condition should start automatically when new albums are detected by the app … and wait until the spinning wheel on the right of the Minimserver name in the app will disappear 

D8362A43-B05D-4D00-B360-98653B29245C.jpeg

Yes, the spinning wheel are relations like with Chinese Communist Party, frosty.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Running firmware V14 on X1. I am noticing that the Bitrate statistics, upper left in the Lumin app, is showing the Roon playback at a lower bitrate than if the same stream is played using the Lumin app or Tidal app. Not sure if this is a change but wanted to report it as I could not find any mention of this elsewhere. 

As I mentioned in previous post, loving the sound in V14! Noticeable improvement for Spotify as well.

On 7/23/2021 at 6:20 PM, wklie said:

In case anyone hears a SQ difference after upgrading from firmware 13.x to 14.0, please report and state your model.

My sound memory is not long enough to remember any SQ differenses today. I did not expect any so I never made any special analysis after the update. If there are any, they are not huge.

If there är any changes made that are expected tog change the SQ, does connection type have influences on this, like AES/RCA coax versus USB?

Same question but linked to sources like Tidal, Qobuz or private library in a network? Are there any Lumin construction reasons that ought to or could give different SQ between the alternatives?

5 hours ago, SQFIRST said:

I am noticing that the Bitrate statistics, upper left in the Lumin app, is showing the Roon playback at a lower bitrate than if the same stream is played using the Lumin app or Tidal app.

Please ignore Lumin app display when you're playing from Roon.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

On 7/26/2021 at 4:22 AM, wklie said:

You cannot believe how many ISP over the whole world has non-working DNS servers at different times for the purpose of music streaming.  I have known this fact for years, I just don't know why.  If anybody knows, please enlighten me.

With firmware 14, you can revert to the router DNS server by typing #DNS in uppercase in the Lumin name field.  Power cycle the player 60 seconds later, then check the About of Lumin player again after reboot.

Hello, is it also possible revert from the router DNS to 8.8.8.8 after setting with #DNS ?

On 7/27/2021 at 5:56 AM, Ropet said:

If there äre any changes made that are expected to change the SQ, does connection type have influences on this, like AES/RCA coax versus USB?

Same question but linked to sources like Tidal, Qobuz or private library in a network? Are there any Lumin construction reasons that ought to or could give different SQ between the alternatives?

Based on some reports received, it can make a subjective difference to all types of outputs.

Tidal / Qobuz / local NAS are done with the same http or https streaming.  RAAT, AirPlay, Spotify Connect, are all done differently.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

On 7/25/2021 at 6:22 PM, wklie said:

You cannot believe how many ISP over the whole world has non-working DNS servers at different times for the purpose of music streaming.  I have known this fact for years, I just don't know why.  If anybody knows, please enlighten me.

With firmware 14, you can revert to the router DNS server by typing #DNS in uppercase in the Lumin name field.  Power cycle the player 60 seconds later, then check the About of Lumin player again after reboot.

I believe you, however the evidence points to issues (bugs) in Lumin's IP networking implementation.

For example:

After typing #DNS in the Lumin name field, power cycle and check the About of my X1: DNS server is now indicated as router******.com which is my (Cisco) default router and internet gateway; 192.168.1.1 to local devices.

It should be 1.1.1.1 in accordance with the Static DNS 1 field in my router's DHCP configuration (as other devices see it).

Another quirk which debuted in Firmware 14:

Lumin X1 made its presence known for the first time on my (bridged) eero WiFi network. Interestingly, the app indicates Manufacturer as "Lumissil Microsystems".

Hope this is useful. Any assistance I can provide (e.g. test unreleased firmware or follow up privately) is sincerely offered.

--

Wouldn't you really rather have a Lumin?

6 hours ago, brw said:

After typing #DNS in the Lumin name field, power cycle and check the About of my X1: DNS server is now indicated as router******.com which is my (Cisco) default router and internet gateway; 192.168.1.1 to local devices.

It should be 1.1.1.1 in accordance with the Static DNS 1 field in my router's DHCP configuration (as other devices see it).

That's up to your router implementation.  The DHCP client in use by Lumin is standard, not modified.

Do you see 1.1.1.1 from Windows DHCP client?

The name is wrong, but it is not caused by us.  It is your router hard code name table not knowing us.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

6 minutes ago, wklie said:

It is your router hard code name table

exactly

this is, in fact, how Fing identifies my U1 Mini:

206809091_Screenshot2021-07-29at14_04_48.thumb.jpg.fa43673942bd890e7bd1769e9a858a22.jpg

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

10 hours ago, wklie said:

Do you see 1.1.1.1 from Windows DHCP client?

The name is wrong, but it is not caused by us.  It is your router hard code name table not knowing us.

Yes indeed, both Mac and Windows DHCP clients display the expected IP and DNS settings. Please reference screenshots (below).

Lumin X1 with Firmware 14.1 (newly installed) shows DNS Server is router******.com – same as Mac "Search Domain" and Windows "Primary DNS suffix" fields.

Why does Lumin assign DNS Server differently than Mac and Windows?

Mac IP.png

Windows IP.JPG

Lumin IP.jpeg

--

Wouldn't you really rather have a Lumin?

Please plug the USB HDD into Windows or Mac then run MinimServer there.

DSD64 files on USB HDD can still be played if it is directly connected to a Lumin if it is in the correct .DSF format and properly tagged.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

3 hours ago, brw said:

Yes indeed, both Mac and Windows DHCP clients display the expected IP and DNS settings. Please reference screenshots (below).

Lumin X1 with Firmware 14.1 (newly installed) shows DNS Server is router******.com – same as Mac "Search Domain" and Windows "Primary DNS suffix" fields.

Why does Lumin assign DNS Server differently than Mac and Windows?

Mac IP.png

Windows IP.JPG

Lumin IP.jpeg

That makes zero sense from a technical standpoint. You can’t have a DNS server be an FQDN because it wouldn’t be possible to look it up without a DNS server. 

Is it just resolving the name of your router? Yes, I understand your router is just the gateway, not the DNS server. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

14 minutes ago, wklie said:

I think I've found a display bug for the DNS server in this case - in this scenario it displays the domain suffix rather than the actual DNS server IP address.  I'll send brw a firmware fix.

But it's strange that his router isn't the DNS server that's being handed out to other clients. 1.1.1.1 doesn't have a domain suffix of router7d5010.com

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png