IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

I got a U1 mini in December 2020 and it was marvelous. Then in April I had to put it aside as I was away for few months. Recently I reinstalled the whole set up with the same ASUS router and speakers etc. I could play music on the lumin via the Spotify app but my lumin app failed to detect the U1 at all. I rebooted everything including the router, the lumin, the app and did a hard reset on the router and U1 as well. I still couldn't get the U1 connect to the app. Has anyone come across this problem before? And any thoughts how I could fix it? 

Thank you Peter for getting back so quickly. I had a look at the router setting and the Iptv setting was off. I turned it on but still no luck. The u1mini is showing a blue circle. I'm using an android phone to connect to the app, is there anything I have to do on the phone side? If you think it's a router problem, is it worth trying a new router? 

Many thanks! 

@Stsy

Blue circle on Lumin front panel is normal - it means your playlist is currently empty.

Please make sure Multicast Routing is turned on.

You may also try toggling IGMP Snooping under Asus - WiFi - Professional.

Please disable Asus AI everything, QoS, firewall, etc.

There's no reason Asus cannot work.  I use an Asus RT-AX86U.

Please power cycle the whole network starting from the router, including the phone(s) and Lumin.

Please set the phone to connect to the WiFi network.  Update Lumin app to latest.

Try another device if you have, perhaps another Android phone or iOS device.

You may even use MEmu software to run Lumin apk on Windows.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Thanks Peter for the advice. I went through your list and followed all the advice. Tested it with another ipad and iPhone. Unfortunately I still couldn't quite get the app to find the Lumin. Since it was able to play via Spotify connect yesterday, I would think my connection should be fine.

For your Asus router, does it recognise that you connected to Lumin in the router set up page? For me, it showed zero wired device even when the lumin was plugged in. 

Many thanks! 

After I logout from Asus router GUI and relogin, it refreshes the device list and I can the see the MAC address / IP address of the Lumin.  It will not, however, identify it as a Lumin - this is normal.  It may identify the company that's associated with the processor we use, or the one that associated with our network chip.

Please describe your whole network.  If it has two routers, it's not going to work.

Sometimes users have an ISP router (perhaps a cable modem with built-in routing function), plus another router that purchase.  That's a typical wrong configuration.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

My Internet service provider provided me with a Huawei Echolife optical network terminal, and I connected my Asus router to it. The Huawei device doesnt sound like a router to me. 

I actually cannot see any device connected to my router in the router GUI apart from my phones and tablets.

@wklie I did another power cycle, and replugged all the cables between the optical network terminal and the router. Somehow the wireless router finally found the U1 at an offline state. I restarted the u1 again and the app finally found it! I'm pretty sure all the cables were plugged at the same ports as before. Anyhow, thank you so much for your help. I'm sure one of the suggestions fixed it. Will update you in a week or two if it's been running smoothly 

I’m using the LUMIN app on my iPad, to control my ultraRendu. It works playing the content on my NAS, but while I can login to my Qobuz account from the ultraRendu Options page in LUMIN, I cannot seem to get the functionality to work through LUMIN. When I click on the widgets, nothing happens. When I try to do a Search in Qobuz, no results appear. Use Local Network is selected for the app on my iPad. My main page looks like this

FE17363E-2399-4337-A5E7-932CBB07CCCD.png

31 minutes ago, wklie said:

We do not support the use of Lumin app on non-Lumin hardware.  Perhaps you may try other threads.

I did a google search and found this:

http://www.sonicorbiter.com/docs/tidal_qobuz_rendu

This was not always the case. I remember using Lumin App years ago on the first Sonore Rendu, without any problems. In fact, it was the Lumin App that initially got me interested in Lumin hardware. I've always thought it to be the best control app out there.

In any case, I own a miniDSP SHD - not for it's streamer. But to check the SHD streamer, I was suppose to use their version of Volumio. Volumio is awful, so I have had success with the Esoteric App which if I recall, is an earlier version of Lumin App. I also recall the Esoteric App working well with my UltraRendu.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

@tony22

As rodrigaj said try both the Esoteric and Teac apps as they are much earlier versions of the Lumin app and were more general purpose than the current version which is aimed at the newer Lumin products and features.  Shouldn't really matter which one of them you try as they are about the same age though the Teac may be a bit older.  They both offer the basic features. 

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi @wklie, does the newer iPad Pro with M1 chip speed up the Lumin app when importing huge libraries and in general usage? The app isn’t slow, but I’m curious if there are any benefits to the M1 on iPad. 

We don't have an iPad Pro M1, but we just did a comparison of Lumin iOS app on MacBook Air M1 against iPad 8th generation (2020) for library reloading.

In our test, on M1 it's roughly only 5% faster for reloading a library from MinimServer running on Intel Atom D525.  Since this operation is dominated by network access, both the MacBook Air M1 and iPad are on WiFi, I guess this minimal difference can disappear due to different network conditions.

For general usage, again I don't expect it to make a significant difference, but that will need to wait until we have an iPad M1 some day.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

2 minutes ago, wklie said:

We don't have an iPad Pro M1, but we just did a comparison of Lumin iOS app on MacBook Air M1 against iPad 8th generation (2020) for library reloading.

In our test, on M1 it's roughly only 5% faster for reloading a library from MinimServer running on Intel Atom D525.  Since this operation is dominated by network access, both the MacBook Air M1 and iPad are on WiFi, I guess this minimal difference can disappear due to different network conditions.

For general usage, again I don't expect it to make a significant difference, but that will need to wait until we have an iPad M1 some day.

Thank you so much. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I have an audiophile friend who is blind and wants to upgrade his network streaming performance. He is currently using a Windows computer for streaming. He will be hooking up to an external DAC.

There has been a fair amount of discussion in the sight-impaired community that the Naim App is well designed from an accessibility perspective. So a Naim streamer is currently on his short list of candidates.

Just wondering how the Lumin App compares in terms of usability for blind individuals? My friend tried the Esoteric App and had mixed feelings about its usability. He will be running the Lumin App on an Apple iOS tablet.