IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

I was prompted to update my D2 firmware yesterday and now it will not boot up beyond the Lumin logo on screen. It is not seen in the app. Was working great prior to that.

I have disconnected all the cables and rebooted my router. Left if off for over 30 minutes. Powered back up, no change. Never goes to the circle.

I know it is recommended NOT to use both the RCA outputs at the same time as using the XLR outputs.  But is it ok to use a Luminous device with both sets of outputs connected to 2 other devices, if only one of those devices is powered up and used at a time? Or will there still be a deterioration in sound? It’s so that I don’t have to keep reaching round behind all of my gear all the time. Advice would be gratefully received!

Firmware 14 actually also has the following important changes not listed in the web release notes, applicable to all models:

- Improve network bandwidth usage for gapless playback

- Improve processing efficiency

These could impact SQ, however small the difference is.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

2 minutes ago, vintageaxeman said:

I know it is recommended NOT to use both the RCA outputs at the same time as using the XLR outputs.  But is it ok to use a Luminous device with both sets of outputs connected to 2 other devices, if only one of those devices is powered up and used at a time? Or will there still be a deterioration in sound? It’s so that I don’t have to keep reaching round behind all of my gear all the time. Advice would be gratefully received!

Sorry, my iPhone auto spellchecker messed up my post (above) a few times!

5 minutes ago, vintageaxeman said:

For X1 / S1 / A1 / T1, simultaneous connection of XLR and RCA will degrade the SQ.  That being said, if you're not having a ground loop and you don't notice much of a difference without a serious A/B comparison, then don't worry about it.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

38 minutes ago, wklie said:

Firmware 14 actually also has the following important changes not listed in the web release notes, applicable to all models:

- Improve network bandwidth usage for gapless playback

- Improve processing efficiency

I noticed that the starting of TIDAL playback is much slower now. For all tracks

I found that you are using T1.

In Lumin app About of Lumin T1, please check that DNS Server is 8.8.8.8 and your Firmware is 14.0.

In Lumin app, please enter #DNS in uppercase in the Lumin name field (only works on Firmware 14 or later).  Wait for 60 seconds, then power cycle the T1.

Upon reboot, please check the About screen and verify that the DNS Server is different.  Then retry Tidal playback.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

19 hours ago, wklie said:

Thanks for the information.  And for the transparency.  I, for one, have noticed no change to SQ I can attribute to the firmware update.

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

I don't hear any difference.

But I remember when I owned my PS Audio DirectStream DAC, whenever they would release a new firmware, there would be all of these accolades about "greater air" and "more refined", etc. I never heard any differences.

Not to say that there aren't any, I just don't hear them. (I only critically listen to classical music ).

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

56 minutes ago, rodrigaj said:

I don't hear any difference.

But I remember when I owned my PS Audio DirectStream DAC, whenever they would release a new firmware, there would be all of these accolades about "greater air" and "more refined", etc. I never heard any differences.

Not to say that there aren't any, I just don't hear them. (I only critically listen to classical music ).

My point exactly.  Tell someone there is a change that might affect SQ and even a deaf person will be able to discern it.  No disrespect to deaf people either expressed or implied.

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

Yes, I'm well aware that simply mentioning it and asking about it causes expectation bias.  But then if I don't ask, some of those who do hear a tiny little difference may not post about it proactively.  To prove that it goes both ways, one user reported it sounded worse (faster pace that sounded odd).

I need those feedback because I need to know whether the changes I made caused an audible SQ difference or not, and whether the changes are done in the right direction.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

For me, your honesty and forthrightness is a blessing and it can be a curse.  Continue doing what you do because you guys do it so VERY well!

Brand new user here so please excuse any mistakes.

I created an account simply to provide feedback to Peter at Lumin as I am a Lumin X1 user.

Firmware v14 is a definite improvement in my case. Previously, I used to find a slight edge in using Roonserver because I can fine tune the sound using its Convolution filter. I do not upsample or use any other filters and prefer to listen to a stream in original format. In my setup using the optimized Roon server provided slightly better transparency over the Lumin App. After the v14 update, things are very close without the Roonserver. Using Tidal connect via Tidal App sounds really good. Lumin App now sounds really good. All in all, I will vote a huge thumbs up to the changes.

On 7/24/2021 at 2:20 AM, wklie said:

In case anyone hears a SQ difference after upgrading from firmware 13.x to 14.0, please report and state your model.

No major differences, the important checks for soundstage,  height are where they should be, maybe position of sounds are a bit more focussed. This tells me there's nothing different in timing and software hasn't screwed this up.

If the soundstage collapsed, then small details vanish and there are differences tonally since the complete event is missing the foundations. Version 14a uploaded, Lumin app for play back. U1 model.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Minimserver versus Jriver as DLNA server

If I download an album, I would want to listen to it *now*. Minimserver needs a restart, cause I'm impatient, and have to wait to sift through 8192 albums cataloging..... Also the Lumin app has to update as well? While I work through this dilemma, thought bubble to change to why not try Jriver as DLNA server, since Jriver is used on the office PC, the library and settings are already setup, won't take long to trial.

The renaming of the library location from a network drive to a local one, couldn't happen. A message opened "Some files could not be renamed". No reason as to why or which files couldn't be renamed, just didn't happen. FU. Overnight made a new library from local files, this morning played 1/10th of ONE track. Ugh. Worse than Roon, just mush, poor soundstage, tonally very bad.

If you're thinking about Jriver Media Center as DLNA server - Forget it.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

2 hours ago, One and a half said:

Minimserver versus Jriver as DLNA server

Ugh. Worse than Roon, just mush, poor soundstage, tonally very bad.

If you're thinking about Jriver Media Center as DLNA server - Forget it.

My experience with JRiver MC tells me your issue lies elsewhere.  My A1, S1, and X1 have all sounded marvelous regardless of how the files get to the Lumin.