IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

10 hours ago, samatman said:

Matrix x-sabre pro mqa DAC

In Lumin app for your U1 MINI, please set MQA Mode to Passhthrough, turn off Volume Control, and turn off Custom Re-sampling.

If that does not fix the MQA over AES issue, please power cycle both the Lumin and the DAC.

If that still does not work, please factory reset the Lumin and change MQA Mode to Passhthrough.

If MQA Mode is left as the default MQA Digital Output, Lumin will be doing the MQA Core decoding aka first unfold of the MQA stream.  Some inputs for some MQA DAC will recognize this MQA Core signal and displays OFS / OrFS instead of the usual MQA.  However, not every MQA DAC can do this, and probably not for all inputs.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

2 hours ago, BlueSkyy said:

My experience with JRiver MC tells me your issue lies elsewhere.  My A1, S1, and X1 have all sounded marvelous regardless of how the files get to the Lumin.

I hear what you say, the only system changes were to install Jriver (Version 27) on the same machine that Minimserver runs on. 9GB of files are on the same Hard drive, haven't moved. That's it. Everything else was the same except maybe the AC supply voltage, ambient temperature and time of day. Shrug.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

5 hours ago, One and a half said:

Minimserver needs a restart

No, just a rescan is needed … on my +12k albums it takes few seconds (30/40)

5 hours ago, One and a half said:

Also the Lumin app has to update as well?

Yes, as the app needs to update its internal db, anyway you can find immediately  the album going through the “folder” (in Minimserver ‘lexicon’, ie metadata) structure.

Stefano

My audio system

10 hours ago, One and a half said:

I hear what you say, the only system changes were to install Jriver (Version 27) on the same machine that Minimserver runs on. 9GB of files are on the same Hard drive, haven't moved. That's it. Everything else was the same except maybe the AC supply voltage, ambient temperature and time of day. Shrug.

Weird indeed.

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

11 hours ago, wklie said:

If that still does not work, please factory reset the Lumin and change MQA Mode to Passhthrough.

Thank you for the reply, 

In settings of U1 MINI, I set MQA Mode to Passhthrough, turned off Volume Control, and turn off Custom Re-sampling.

I power cycle both the Lumin and the DAC.

I powered on the Lumin keeping pressed the reset button. I changed MQA Mode to Passhthrough. Still maximum 48kHz on AES output to DAC and no MQA.

Then your Matrix does not support MQA decoding over AES.

I checked the technical specifications of the supported format on page 27 of the Matrix pdf manual 2021 version, it lists MQA for USB input, not for AES input.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

11 minutes ago, wklie said:

Then your Matrix does not support MQA decoding over AES.

I checked the technical specifications of the supported format on page 27 of the Matrix pdf manual 2021 version, it lists MQA for USB input, not for AES input.

You're right about what's written in the manual, but I think that before the upgrade, was possible to have MQA on AES output to Matrix DAC. I am not 100% but I think it was so...

18 hours ago, One and a half said:

If I download an album, I would want to listen to it *now*.

You seems to be a busy man... 😉😄

Downloading for me takes some time in order to secure tags like genre, composers, artist, file names and some other information to have follow my structure to ensure I find what I'm looking for. When I'm ready with this in my office on the laptop, I press "rescan" in the Lumin app and within 2-3 minutes everything is updated in the app. That's about the time I need to go down to my music room and prepare myself for listening. My tip is to avoid stress. 

1 hour ago, Ropet said:

You seems to be a busy man... 😉😄

Downloading for me takes some time in order to secure tags like genre, composers, artist, file names and some other information to have follow my structure to ensure I find what I'm looking for. When I'm ready with this in my office on the laptop, I press "rescan" in the Lumin app and within 2-3 minutes everything is updated in the app. That's about the time I need to go down to my music room and prepare myself for listening. My tip is to avoid stress. 

Point taken. Computers are designed to perform tasks quickly and with great precision....and when the human has to 'please wait' , then the computer is not so fast after all, a myth busted . @stefano_mbpadvised a one button refresh for Minimserver from the Lumin app which refreshes the update of must listen now album, which works well.

I see Minimwatch change state in this rescan mode. Minimserver automatically refreshes, but the help notes don't advise when this refreshes. I imagine a library over the network would clog the network with requests, but local files inside the computer should be an instant, oh sorry, please wait kind of time. 

The dangerous 'update music library' takes a long time, so that's whited out and left for an overnight duty.

Roon on the other hand is very fast to catalogue new albums on local drives , but at the expense of processing and SQ deterioration. 

Maybe there should be a button to say adding now, wake up there's data coming in.

1 hour ago, One and a half said:

'update music library'

This is a Lumïn app task due to refresh the internal app database (the time of completion can depend on the smartphone/tablet cpu) … if you are in a “hurry” you could instead use Linn app or Linn Kazoo app, they cannot issue the Minimserver rescan but they don’t have an internal database therefore they are instantaneous 

Stefano

My audio system

On 7/23/2021 at 7:32 PM, wklie said:

I found that you are using T1.

In Lumin app About of Lumin T1, please check that DNS Server is 8.8.8.8 and your Firmware is 14.0.

In Lumin app, please enter #DNS in uppercase in the Lumin name field (only works on Firmware 14 or later).  Wait for 60 seconds, then power cycle the T1.

Upon reboot, please check the About screen and verify that the DNS Server is different.  Then retry Tidal playback.

Why hard-code 8.8.8.8 (Google Public DNS) in firmware? My X1 (as expected) obtains its static IP from my router via DHCP. In my opinion, it should obtain its DNS server the same way. For example, I configured my network to use 1.1.1.1 (Cloudflare DNS).

I'd suggest reserving the Lumin name field for that express purpose. Let the customer manually enter DNS server address(es), if you wish. Otherwise use the DNS server in the router's DHCP settings.

As always, thank you for listening. Not to mention, the continuous incremental improvements that make me proud to own a Lumin.

--

Wouldn't you really rather have a Lumin?

7 hours ago, Ropet said:

@wklie. Previously I have been writing quite negative remarks and critical comments on to use Android for the Lumïn app. I never got them to work together with my Samsung Galaxy phones and on their tablett. It did not work out on my Sony Xperia either. I ended up buying an iPad that seemed to be a perfect match. Esoteric app, which is basically the same as yours but without all features, worked excellent.

At the same time I'm very happy to inform you that your latest version 4.1 for Android seems to work without any drawbacks. So far it works as well as with iPad.

Yes, we've hired a staff and spent a long time in rewriting most parts of the Android app.  I now use my Android phone for my daily work regularly.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

3 hours ago, brw said:

Why hard-code 8.8.8.8 (Google Public DNS) in firmware?

Otherwise use the DNS server in the router's DHCP settings.

You cannot believe how many ISP over the whole world has non-working DNS servers at different times for the purpose of music streaming.  I have known this fact for years, I just don't know why.  If anybody knows, please enlighten me.

With firmware 14, you can revert to the router DNS server by typing #DNS in uppercase in the Lumin name field.  Power cycle the player 60 seconds later, then check the About of Lumin player again after reboot.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

10 hours ago, stefano_mbp said:

This is a Lumïn app task due to refresh the internal app database (the time of completion can depend on the smartphone/tablet cpu) … if you are in a “hurry” you could instead use Linn app or Linn Kazoo app, they cannot issue the Minimserver rescan but they don’t have an internal database therefore they are instantaneous 

I tried the Linn app on iOS but it couldn't see the Lumin, maybe I used the wrong one. The Lumin app is working, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.