IGNORED

JRiver tips and techniques: user experiences repository

ted_b

Just loaded JRiver MC20 onto a Macbook Pro running Mavericks. I'm getting an occasional hangup on audio playback, I guess it could be described as a pop, it just sounds like the track hangs for a very brief moment during playback. I can't seem to reliably recreate it, but it does come and go. Sometimes it does stop for a while when I restart the program. I've tried a variety of DSP settings as well as audio device settings, changing buffer sizes, memory playback and so forth, nothing seems to consistently work.

I have the exact same problem as you. Tried everything. Audio buffer as well.

Check out my thread on their forum.

JRiver 20 and Safari

Just loaded JRiver MC20 onto a Macbook Pro running Mavericks. I'm getting an occasional hangup on audio playback, I guess it could be described as a pop, it just sounds like the track hangs for a very brief moment during playback. I can't seem to reliably recreate it, but it does come and go. Sometimes it does stop for a while when I restart the program. I've tried a variety of DSP settings as well as audio device settings, changing buffer sizes, memory playback and so forth, nothing seems to consistently work.

I did replace the spinning drive for an SSD in the macbook, and I maxed the ram, which is 8G. I've tried several DACs including a Dragonfly, Wadia di122, and a Wadia 321.

Any additional suggestions?

I've experienced similar symptoms with a Windows machine. The cause of my problem was due to network activity. Try shutting off your WiFi and see if it helps.

• 5 weeks later...

Is there a way to use wild cards when editing tags? For example, many classical albums will fill in the track names with things like 1. Andante ... for all of the movements of a symphony. If I want to preface each track name with the name of the symphony, is there an easy way to do this without editing each track individually?

Is there a way to use wild cards when editing tags? For example, many classical albums will fill in the track names with things like 1. Andante ... for all of the movements of a symphony. If I want to preface each track name with the name of the symphony, is there an easy way to do this without editing each track individually?

Yes. The equals sign acts like Excel.

Go into tag mode (where the tag categories are on the left side)

highlight all the tracks you want to prefix with the same text;

in the Name box (which should say "Varies") type

=Symphony No. 3 - [Name]

Undo (cntrl-Z) is your friend.

I'm getting an annoying pop up menu in Mac OS JRiver MC. It occurs every time I launch JR. I don't get this in Windows version.

Any way of getting rid of this? No preference choice that I can find.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

What is the sound quality comparison between JRMC20 (on mac) to Audirvana, HQPlayer, and Amarra?

If this has already been discussed I'd appreciate a pointer to that thread(s).

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

What is the sound quality comparison between JRMC20 (on mac) to Audirvana, HQPlayer, and Amarra?

If this has already been discussed I'd appreciate a pointer to that thread(s).

No offense but this is a tips and techniques repository thread. Let's keep "which is better" debates to another thread. There are many. Here is one:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/poll-audirvana-plus-2-0-4-or-jriver-20-mac-22320/

No offense but this is a tips and techniques repository thread. Let's keep "which is better" debates to another thread. There are many. Here is one:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/poll-audirvana-plus-2-0-4-or-jriver-20-mac-22320/

Perfect. Appreciate it.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

I would assume it's asking you to register, or to turn off something in one of the submenus.

That's the help menu. I don't know why you're seeing it.

Ted: I'm registered with a master license. I'm not sure what you mean by "something in one of the submenus".

jriver...any further suggestions?

I bought a master license, installed it on my iMac. I also have a copy running on Windows 7 / Parallels. I do not run them at the same time but do share the same main library. It all works fine except for this popup menu.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

Is there a way when using the JRemote interface to get JRiver to "reload" a smartlist with new selections?

Sometimes I don't like the playlist the smartlist comes up with, and would just like it to give me a new one.

I know I can go into the actual JRiver interface and ask it to refresh the list, but I'd like to be able to get a new list w/out leaving JRemote.

I looked on the JRiver forum, and there doesn't seem to be a way of doing this. Seems like it should be an obvious feature to add, IMO.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Mine reloads. I assume you mean smartlists like 100 random songs, or not recently played. All I do is clear the playlist and hit 100 random songs again and I get a new playlist.

Ted: I'm registered with a master license. I'm not sure what you mean by "something in one of the submenus".

jriver...any further suggestions?

I bought a master license, installed it on my iMac. I also have a copy running on Windows 7 / Parallels. I do not run them at the same time but do share the same main library. It all works fine except for this popup menu.

I just mean that I would go to each of the submenus in that pulldown (how to, registration, updates, etc) and see if there is something that is set wrong or requires action. Maybe if you just look at "new and improved in this version" it goes away?

I suggest to try Fidelizer. It could help reducing playback stuttering in some systems by increasing kernel clock resolution and audio thread priority.

I don't think that would work as they are both using Macs?

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

I just mean that I would go to each of the submenus in that pulldown (how to, registration, updates, etc) and see if there is something that is set wrong or requires action. Maybe if you just look at "new and improved in this version" it goes away?

jriver/ted: Thanks for your help, but none of your suggestions eliminate the problem.

I submitted a log zip file, jpg and system info to the Weird and Wonderful (Freak problems and their solutions).

Jriver: If Weird and Wonderful is not the correct place to seek help for this problem please let me know.

I'm looking for feedback from other JRiver users who have tried the Volume Leveling and Adaptive Volume options in DSP Studio. When you use it are you using it during "straight" album playback or playback from playlists/Smartlists either with shuffle on or off? what are your experiences and opinions of this tool?

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa
Is it possible to add/create a smartlist within a pane? It appears only field names can be used in a pane.

I am using v. 20.0.62 on a Windows 7 machine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yes. Create a view, like empty (audio, right click, create a view, pick empty), then set it as panes, then pick smartlist as your first pane (and add others, of course)

smartlist panes.jpg

Yes. Create a view, like empty (audio, right click, create a view, pick empty), then set it as panes, then pick smartlist as your first pane (and add others, of course)

Thanks for the timely reply. Very simple, ONCE someone explains it.:)

I have another question. Is it possible to create nested Smartlists?

I have nested Playlist Groups and then added multiple independent Smartlists as the final "pseudo-descendants" of the hierarchy, which gives the appearance of being a nested Smartlist, but is not.

I would like to be able to nest Smartlists which display as a hierarchical tree, with each level of Smartlist inheriting the properties of its ancestors. This would greatly simplify the construction of each sibling of the last ancestor. Is this possible?

Jim

Harlan Howard's definition of a great country song: "Three chords and the truth."

Jim,

I would post that on JRiver interact. It would take too long here for you to educate me (maybe not others), describe and define siblings, ancestors, give examples, etc. A screenshot would help, but I'm sure the JRIver guys will know what you mean easier.