IGNORED

JRiver tips and techniques: user experiences repository

ted_b

Is this an uncompressed WAV/AIFF track? The maximum size is supposed to be 1GB but perhaps there is a 20% allowance for particularly big tracks.

If it's not an uncompressed track, then it cannot fit inside the memory buffer and has to be be loading in from somewhere.

Process Explorer will let you monitor the JRiver process specifically, rather than looking at generalized process usage in Task Manager.

Sorry, I failed to mention that it was DSD file - can a 29 minute 2 channel WAV or AIFF get to up to 1.2GB in size?

I will check out the Process Explorer tool (it looks pretty cool, sort of what Task Manager should have done all along) and post back what it says but I have to say that I believe this entire file was cached and played strictly in memory. I should probably expose the fact that I am an IT professional, we do networking and software development though I am mostly a developer type - and I have been involved with writing OS's for real time systems - so I am not totally uneducated with this stuff (ha, coming from the guy that didn't know about Project Explorer :)

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

I just got an unpleasant private message from Skeptic (whomever he may be) telling me not to comment in this thread again because I do not have any idea what I am talking about. (amusement)

Audio is a hobby for me, but building computer OS's, real time software development, IT centers, and other similar activities has been my profession for more than 35 years. One I am judged sucessful at by my peers.

Skeptic is making a whole raft of bogus claims, anonymously, and with some obvious agenda. I don't care if people disagree with me, that is everyone's right, God Bless 'Em. But someone who is putting out bullshit and telling me to shut up because they are an expert- in my field - people like that can sit on a Pepsi bottle and spin like a top, IMNSHO.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Funny, we can pontificate, assume, and imply all day long but Matt and the guys at JRiver are the only ones that really know what's going on. Our being in the IT business simply implies that we understand requirements and the compromises that have to be made in order to hit 95% of your user enhancement requests.

I don't work at JRiver but if I were to guess I would think their business is something like, "We mastered audio and are keeping the audiophiles pleased while capturing the main stream, how do we incorporate that next new technology without screwing up this beautiful framework". The point I was trying to get Skeptic to understand (yes - shame on me for poking a bear with a stick) was that his user needs are probably in the less than 1% zone of overall enhancements under consideration.

BTW - You clearly poked too hard or managed to find a sensitive spot, in some circles you would have gotten a Bravo Zulu :)

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

I just got an unpleasant private message from Skeptic (whomever he may be) telling me not to comment in this thread again because I do not have any idea what I am talking about. (amusement)
I asked you to please refrain from commenting on this subject without ensuring that you are testing the same type of content since your results seem to be different from mine, provided you with a link to a sample track on my Dropbox account that I did not want to post publicly, and details on how to test this since you claim I am wrong but have not shown anything to back that up.

I also wanted to avoid exacerbating this situation by avoiding further posts in this topic arguing back and forth over the same point repeatedly.

Skeptic is making a whole raft of bogus claims, anonymously, and with some obvious agenda.
I'm backing up my claims with data. My only "agenda" is to get performance back to where it used to be.

And I only started posting on this subject since you claimed that the new memory playback system was better than it used to be, which I do not agree with at all. (and have backed up)

Note: I started this thread as a repository for good JRiver tips and techniques that people could share. It was never intended to be a :

* JRiver customer support helpdesk

* Bitch session for JRiver bugs and performance issues

* "How do I do this" thread

There are plenty of those here on CA.

And most importantly, it certainly is not a place for

* Memory playback arguments that fill up 6 pages and goes nowhere except down a rat hole!!!

Chris, please try and remove all the non-essential stuff, especially the sophomoric arguing, name-calling and repetitive reassurations.

Gang, please please take your arguments, theories and philosophies about JRiver's memory playback (which JRIver's own Matt Ashland has had to correct numerous times) to your own thread!!!

Note: I started this thread as a repository for good JRiver tips and techniques that people could share.

Thank you for that.

Please take discussions of memory playback elsewhere. JRiver is really happy with the current implementation, but we understand there are vocal critics. That's life.

Matt Ashland, JRiver

Ted - sorry for throwing fuel on the fire

To get us back on track I have discovered a JRMC issue and a solution - I am running JRMC v19 on Windows 8.1.

Problem: When I import certain DSDs and refine the tagging in the DSF files JRiver will hang up when writing the tags. This hang up will last about 1 minute per track and then I get a dialog box telling me that the files cannot be accessed. However the track data is there in JRiver, the files play fine and everything seems ok. So I chalk it up as a glitch and move on.

Discovery: Later on I learned about HQPlayer and give it a whirl (and love it), however I was having problems with my library as it appeared in HQP. What I discovered was that the tags in JRMC, for about 25% of my library, had not been persisted to the files themselves. This was particularly true with the DSF files I was having trouble with.

Solution: I purchased a piece of tagging software (Tag and Rename for $30 - btw I have given up on freeware, this alone is worthy of another thread) and opened the suspect files. Sure enough the DSF files I was having trouble with had NO TAGS AT ALL! Even the tagging software had a little trouble opening the files, but they did eventually open and I was able to enter the proper tags (basic stuff like artist, title, track, etc.). Once this was done the files could be opened, closed, etc. just like any other file. I can only postulate that the music section of the file was in tact and the tagging section (probably the very beginning or very end of the file) was somewhat corrupt due to the null values in the tag fields.

Bottom line: If you have DSF files that are slow to tag in JRMC then you should tag them with an external program to make sure that your tags are properly embedded into the file. I think Ted covers this concept in his tutorials but I don't remember seeing any warnings about files with no tags at all. Also, I was surprised at the number if regular PCM FLAC files with embedded tags that differed from what I had in JRMC.

FWIW all of the SACDs I ripped were fine, the problem DSF files were downloads (not all downloads, only a handful) and I wouldn't be surprised if they consistently came from the same site or two.

I have a question about JRiver which surely one of you guru's will be able to address. It's definitely way less complicated than some of the stuff in the last few pages of this thread which goes way over my head.

I'm relatively new to OSX and therefore JRMC. Until two years ago I was a Windows guy and used Foobar for audio. My Foobar implementation was very simple - I had a folder tree column on the left and I had what I think would be called an active playlist in the main window. This allowed me to simply drag a folder (album) from the tree to the playlist and it would automatically append itself to the list. What I liked about this was that I could get up the next morning and see everything that had been played the night before.

I can't seem to configure JRiver in the same way. I have the folder tree on the left alright - Files / Volumes / Media / Music - but the main window won't allow me to drag & drop folders there. It only shows what is currently selected. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Gordon.

edit - I forgot to mention I'm using JRMC 19 on OSX Mavericks.

Thank you for that.

Please take discussions of memory playback elsewhere. JRiver is really happy with the current implementation, but we understand there are vocal critics. That's life.

Hi Matt,

Is memory playback also recommended or even used with JRiver as a DLNA controller/server setup?

If memory playback is turned off, are audio files grabbed from a NAS and directly sent to a renderer, bypassing the computer running JRiver, or do they first get loaded on to the harddrive or memory of the computer running JRiver before being sent to the renderer? Is this for just the current and next song in the queue, or the whole playlist?

Thanks,

Sorry if this has been asked and answered. 18 pages for this thread was a bit daunting to scan. I am using JRMC19 on my Mac Mini to play mch files through my Exasound E28. At this point, I cannot get JRMC19 to play the native DSD files (in dff or dsf) in mch. I have contacted George, but no solution. My work around is having JRMC19 play the files converted to PCM. Works fine that way. Is there a way to use a Mac OX to play mch files in native DSD through my E28 using JRMC19? If not, will JRMC20 do it?

Thanks, Larry

PS Currently I can play native DSD mch on A+ on my Mac, but the JRemote functionality is hard to give up.

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

Sorry if this has been asked and answered. 18 pages for this thread was a bit daunting to scan. I am using JRMC19 on my Mac Mini to play mch files through my Exasound E28. At this point, I cannot get JRMC19 to play the native DSD files (in dff or dsf) in mch. I have contacted George, but no solution. My work around is having JRMC19 play the files converted to PCM. Works fine that way. Is there a way to use a Mac OX to play mch files in native DSD through my E28 using JRMC19? If not, will JRMC20 do it?

Thanks, Larry

PS Currently I can play native DSD mch on A+ on my Mac, but the JRemote functionality is hard to give up.

You should be able to pick Options > Audio > Bitstreaming > DSD. This will send the source DSD as-is to your DAC.

Matt Ashland, JRiver

Thanks, Matt. I was able to play stereo files in DSD, but not mch. I have my mch as dff files. Would that cause a problem. JRMC19 just shuts down when I click on one of my DSD dff mch files. It plays the stereo DSD files (which are dsf) fine. You can PM me if that would be better.

Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

@Matt Ashland/JRiver, is it really necessary to treat your customers like idiots? Why don't you delete the JPlay "warning code" from your product? I think you have made your point by now, some people just don't agree with it...

I'm assuming JRiver won't even answer my questions so does anyone know how to get rid of these ridiculous 'JPlay is a hoax' messages from JRiver besides uninstalling JRiver altogether? I did find some hex edited files somewhere but with these edits JRiver still starts/tries to start the browser. Problem is I have no browser installed on my 2012R2 machine and thus JRiver gives an error message that I need to acknowledge first, otherwise music playback won't start. I don't want to install a browser as I don't need it, it's a headless machine.

@Matt Ashland/JRiver, if you don't want to delete the code, why not change it to display the warning only once. Why does it have to be repeated intermittently? Why do your customers need to suffer from the useless fight you're having with JPlay?? Sorry to say this but please, grow up! Don't make me start a petition or something like that.

@Matt Ashland/JRiver, is it really necessary to treat your customers like idiots? Why don't you delete the JPlay "warning code" from your product? I think you have made your point by now, some people just don't agree with it...

I'm assuming JRiver won't even answer my questions so does anyone know how to get rid of these ridiculous 'JPlay is a hoax' messages from JRiver besides uninstalling JRiver altogether? I did find some hex edited files somewhere but with these edits JRiver still starts/tries to start the browser. Problem is I have no browser installed on my 2012R2 machine and thus JRiver gives an error message that I need to acknowledge first, otherwise music playback won't start. I don't want to install a browser as I don't need it, it's a headless machine.

Antoine,

If you go on the Computer Audio Design website and download their audio software setup pdf, at the very end they say how to get rid of the JPlay warning.

I have no idea If It works as I don't use JPlay thus don't get the warning, but I read about It a few nights ago so I thought It might help you.

Good luck with that!

Arcam rDAC / Oppo BDP-83 / NAD 315BEE / Totem Arro

Hi dummy, thank you for the hint but this is the "hex editor" hack I wrote about, it won't prevent MC trying to start a browser.

Perhaps you should just consider using jPlay without JRMC? Or better yet, JRMC without jPlay at all? In either case, you would not have to deal with the pop up message alert.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein