IGNORED

JRiver tips and techniques: user experiences repository

ted_b

Hi Gordon,

More like Linn Kinsky, Lightning DS, audionett, plugplayer, etc. Free apps that are UPnP controllers.

Splashtop or Mocha VNC are used to view your desktop in a headless setup, as if you had an LCD attached. Also handy, but a different way. You would not need to run Jriver in DLNA mode in that case.

Hi tranz,

OK, I've downloaded & installed Linn Kinsky and it already sees my Mac without me doing anything at all. This is good.

However it still only gives me the same options of Audio, Artist, Album, Recent, Genre etc.

Is there a way withinn JRiver to get it to see my actual folder structure?

Another option would be to use Jriver in DLNA mode and use an UPnP controller app instead. They all have folder view.
More like Linn Kinsky, Lightning DS, audionett, plugplayer, etc. Free apps that are UPnP controllers.
The folder view is accessed through Kinsky. See the picture at bottom left.

[ATTACH]18712[/ATTACH]

Hi Tranz,

I think you may be confusing:

the folder option provided by library data caching UPnP controller apps (such as Lightning DS), which shows the library's whole music category folder structure exactly as provided by the UPnP media server,

with,

the folder view category provided by some UPnP media servers (such as MinimServer - as shown by your last post), which actually shows the storage drive's folder structure as provided by its filing system.

Under UPnP/DLNA streaming, the folder stucture of the storage drive containing the music files can only appear at the UPnP controller app if it's provided by the UPnP media server. So if JRiver's built-in UPnP media server doesn't support this, there's no point using a UPnP controller app with it. The only way would be to install a UPnP media server which does provide this file view and use that instead of JRiver, eg MinimServer:

Browsing your library

John

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Hi Tranz,

I think you may be confusing:

the folder option provided by library data caching UPnP controller apps (such as Lightning DS), which shows the library's whole music category folder structure exactly as provided by the UPnP media server,

with,

the folder view category provided by some UPnP media servers (such as MinimServer - as shown by your last post), which actually shows the storage drive's folder structure as provided by its filing system.

Under UPnP/DLNA streaming, the folder stucture of the storage drive containing the music files can only appear at the UPnP controller app if it's provided by the UPnP media server. So if JRiver's built-in UPnP media server doesn't support this, there's no point using a UPnP controller app with it. The only way would be to install a UPnP media server which does provide this file view and use that instead of JRiver, eg MinimServer:

Browsing your library

John

Hi John,

Yeah, I think that's what I'm looking, for but how would I then get JRiver to play the files I select?

Gordon.

• 9 months later...

Any tips for setting up Library views for DSD files?

Also, is there a way to configure the title bars when looking at albums in Pane view? Nearly my entire collection is classical so I end up with title bars (ie. the ones dividing albums in the lower pane) that read something like this:

Bax: The Complete Symphonies (London PO) by Unknown Artist (i.e. Album Title by Unknown Artist)

Any tips for setting up Library views for DSD files?

I show you step by step in the very first post in my thread here

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/j-river-tips-and-techniques-user-experiences-repository-13684/#post182530

Here is an example where you only want to capture DSD64 DSF files in your view; using an identical view but another sample rate will capture DSD128, DSD256, etc. I always start with an empty view. Also read the part where you can then import to JRemote. It's also spelled out in video in my link below.

jriver dsd rule.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I started with JRMC 17 and upgraded with each version until JRiver 20. Money was a little tight when 21 was released and as I use the software only for audio, I couldn't justify the modest cost for features that were of no special benefit to me.

Depends on your needs and which of the new features may be valuable to you. As I recall, with each new release ,the website outlines the critical new features of the latest release.

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

It's really impossible to compare versions because the current version is always under constant development with new features and fixes coming out all the time.

A point well made. There is no simple way to do an A/B comparison given the constant evolution of the product. However at time of initial release when a change log of sorts is available, a compare and contrast would be more straightforward.

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

I use j river just for audio dedicated computer also with jplay thanks for your replies.

I tried to use JRiver 21 with JPlay but JRiver doesn't recognize the ASIO driver for JPlay. How do you plan to have JRiver work with JPLay? I know there is 3rd party software like ASIO bridge that can be used to connect them but I like to keep my hardware and software chains as simple and direct as possible, so I was wondering if there is some other way I missed.

JRiver does not authorize Jplay use. This was argued and vehemently discussed in numerous threads (and thousands of posts) over the past year or two. Let's not reignite that please. The last JRIver build that will allow Jplay handoffs is Jriver 20 build 43 (I think).

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 5.0 system and use Jriver for music (stereo and mch) and for video and TV.

I would like to use JRSS upmixing from stereo sources to mch but only for video and TV.

Is there a way to setup Jriver that JRSS is only used to video and TV?

I have a 5.0 system and use Jriver for music (stereo and mch) and for video and TV.

I would like to use JRSS upmixing from stereo sources to mch but only for video and TV.

Is there a way to setup Jriver that JRSS is only used to video and TV?

You can create two (or more) zones with separate mixing settings, but you'll have to do the zone switching manually.

Here's one idea (simply need to id your video and tv)

Solved Library Server playback issues and Stereo upmixing issues

Morning all. Newbie here, digital immigrant. I am kicking the tires on JRiver for my audio needs. Switching from MacBook to a Windows 10 system and need software to rip Cd's lossless and organize the files. I have already ripped 60+GB on Apple lossless and will continue to rip my collection using a new Windows machine. Backup to glyph drive. I use a couple of iPod classics to carry my library around and plug them into my car system and an old school stereo amp at my studio where they sound great on the giant old Klipsch speakers.

So, my questions are:

Will I be able to batch convert the files done on Apple to FLAC?

But will the FLAC files play on my iPod and iPhone or must I make up special play lists in ALAC?

What is JRemote? Sounds like I might need it.

Fed Ex delivers my new computer today!

Any info would be helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Morning all. Newbie here, digital immigrant. I am kicking the tires on JRiver for my audio needs. Switching from MacBook to a Windows 10 system and need software to rip Cd's lossless and organize the files. I have already ripped 60+GB on Apple lossless and will continue to rip my collection using a new Windows machine. Backup to glyph drive. I use a couple of iPod classics to carry my library around and plug them into my car system and an old school stereo amp at my studio where they sound great on the giant old Klipsch speakers.

So, my questions are:

Will I be able to batch convert the files done on Apple to FLAC?

But will the FLAC files play on my iPod and iPhone or must I make up special play lists in ALAC?

What is JRemote? Sounds like I might need it.

Fed Ex delivers my new computer today!

Any info would be helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Why bother converting them? JRiver handles ALAC files just fine, as does JRemote. I am not sure if JRiver will rip CD's into ALAC, but you can use DBPowerAmp, iTunes, or a Mac program like XLD to do that, then just copy the files into your media folder.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

I have JR21 on a Mac mini running Maverick, I have both the system preferences sound and audio MIDI set to my dac exasound e20 but as soon as I play a song with Jriver the setting go back to internal setting and I get no signal to my dac, what i’m I doing wrong?

What Mac driver did you install from exaSound? Is exaSound driver chosen in your JRiver audio devices setting (Tools - Options - Audio - device) and bitstream set for DSD?