IGNORED

JRiver tips and techniques: user experiences repository

ted_b

I thought it might be a good idea, for us JRIver  users, to have a go-to-place where we can show (or ask about) the tips, shortcuts and techniques used to get the most out of this hugely flexible and powerful tool. I'm a newbie, so if others have better tips I'm all ears (and eyes).

Tagging tips

Best practices for setting up views

Options setups for various DACS, etc

I'll start

The ability to create views, then use them in jremote, is a huge deal with me. Here is a small primer I've started.

I've circled, in red, anything appropriate

jriverview24edit.jpg

Create view

* First click on Audio tree, then go to view_>add view->add library view, and pick empty one

* give it a name (mine is "24 bit hirez")

* change "view as" to categories (so you can see album art)..it's a pull-down pick

* add sorted fields. the sort order is the view order (i.e mine shows artists, then you pick albums, then if albums are available in multiple sample rates, you pick them). Experiment.

* add any rules under "set rules for file display" (my only rule was bit depth. My DSD view differs simply in that my only rule was "file type is DSF", and I had no sample rate field).

* add "show alphabet" if you have large lists to browse

Done!

Then import to jremote: To make this view available to JRemote, you'll want to simply customize the WebGizmo views (Tools > Options > Media Network > Advanced > Customize views for Gizmo & WebGizmo...). You just add a new section under Audio, selecting this "Library Item from Standard View".

If you want the longer, more detailed version, this post over on the JRIver forum, is a great one

Customise Current View v17 Expounded

Some advanced (for me) bulk tagging techniques:

1) the expression language. things like =fixcase([field-name]) will remove all caps that often come from DSD rips, etc. So highlighting an album, or set of albums, whose song names are all caps, and putting =fixcase([name]) in the tag area for name takes on the default capitalization rule (Capitalize first letter of important words).

Media Center expression language - JRiverWiki

fixcase1.jpg

2) shortcuts for adding or appending to field names, like album names. That way searches are so much easier, especially if you have albums that are available in a variety of versions.

Example:

=[Album] /(DSD/) puts (DSD) after the album name. So, when I import several albums i simply highlight them all and put that command in the tag area for album. As long as you start with the equals sign it will not over-write the album name. If you mess up, just go up to edit and "undo". The forward slashes escape using the parentheses (cuz parentheses, by themselves, are metacharacters and mean something in the expression language). So this changes Sea Change to Sea Change (DSD), and allows me to see my Sea Change, Sea Change (24/88) and Sea Change (DSD). It's great for huge bulk appends.

• 4 months later...

j River expert glynor put together a really nice (and detailed) thread with basic "organizing your library" tips and techniques. It's for newbies, but detailed.

Organizing My Media

• 2 months later...

Thought I'd add some more detail to fixing ALL CAPS that typically come across in many SACD ISo rips.

When I put these in JRiver I add (DSD) and things like (MFSL) and (SHM) after the album name, as I showed above:

=[album] /(DSD/) for example

However, when I want to then go back later and fix the ALL CAPS for those fields affected (name, artists and album) the problem arises in album. I don't want my appendixes to be changed. So, I could have done the cap fixes first...but I didn't. :) So the guys on JRIver forum helped me with a wild but effective expression string.

So, to summarize:

Name fix: =fixcase([Name])

Artist fix: =fixcase([Artist])

Album fix: =Regex([Album],/#^(.+?)(\(.*)$#/,-1)FixCase([R1])[R2]

These can all be done with any number of files or albums highlighted. Remember, undo is your friend.

• 2 weeks later...

Here’s a helpful Jriver configuration for those who play both stereo and multi-channel music files. Separate zones can be set up in JRMC to send specified files to different outputs. Zone setup and configuration is found under the “Player” menu in JRMC 18.

I have a “Stereo” zone that sends all mono or stereo files to my Benchmark DAC2 via USB. A second zone called “Multi-Channel” sends all files with more than two channels to my Oppo BDP103 via HDMI.

I configured the ZoneSwitch feature to change zones based on the number of channels in the file. Now Jriver’s output automatically switches to AISO USB for stereo tracks and WASAPI Event HDMI for multi-channel tracks. All I have to do is switch to the right input on the DAC2 (USB for stereo, Analog 1/HT Bypass for multi-channel) to hear the file.

To complement stereo/multi-channel playback zones, I created views in Jriver and Jremote (as documented by Ted B) that categorize stereo and multi-channel files and formats for easy album retrieval: Stereo All, Stereo DSD, Stereo PCM 24, Stereo PCM 16, Multi-Channel All, Multi-Channel DSD, Multi-Channel PCM.

This is a big improvement over my previous configuration that used Jriver for stereo and Foobar for multi-channel. I now get the advantage of Jremote control over all my files. And Jriver has DSP options that make the regrettable but necessary DSD to PCM conversion for multi-channel files sound more transparent.

Russ

Does anyone know how to remove a missing location from the library of MC18?

I attached an external HDD with music files to my computer for half an hour, MC18 scanned it and now these files appear in the library although the HDD is no longer there.

JRMC+Fidelizer-->AudioQuest Cinnamon Firewire-->Weiss DAC202U-->Arcam P49-->PSB Synchrony One

I attached an external HDD with music files to my computer for half an hour, MC18 scanned it and now these files appear in the library although the HDD is no longer there.

When you delete files that show up as missing (or any files for that matter) you are asked whether to simply delete from the Media center library, or to delete from disk.

Here's a link to a discussion on J. River's website that may help you resolve your problem:

Refresh Library: Check For Deleted Files...?

Jim

Harlan Howard's definition of a great country song: "Three chords and the truth."

I have over 1,000 album listings in my JRMC database. I bought my first LP in 1962 and have subsequently been oriented toward playing complete albums, not individual tracks. When I sit down to listen to music, I often do not have a specific album in mind, but usually have some notion as to what genre I feel like exploring. However, I have noticed only a relatively small percentage of the 1,000+ albums come to mind, and they tend to be the same ones at every listening session. Therefore, I have created a series of smartlists to help counter this myopic thinking. The following smartlist example meets my criterion of being album-centric, i.e., not oriented towards individual tracks. For me, satisfying this condition is especially important within the genre of classical music.

Here is one example which selects for classical albums composed by Johannes Brahms and not played within the last 20 days. All tracks on a specific album will be grouped together, with tracks sorted in ascending numerical order.

Please note: All tracks within an album will be listed every time the smartlist is evoked until all tracks have been played within the last 20 days. I am using a 22" monitor as a display.

[Media Type]=[Audio] +[Genre]=[Classical] +[Composer]=[Johannes Brahms] [Last Played]=>21d [Complete Album]=1 ~a

Here are definitions of the keyword 'complete album' and the modifier '~a'

[Complete Album]=1

returns complete albums

[Complete Album]=0

returns incomplete albums

~a

Expands the track selection to include all tracks from the selected albums.

Note: A complete album has sequentially numbered tracks, from 1 to N.

For more information, see Smartlist and Search - Rules and Modifiers

Jim

Harlan Howard's definition of a great country song: "Three chords and the truth."

Update: Although Jriver automatically changes zones (via ZoneSwitch) when I move between stereo and multi-channel files, Jremote does not. Before I figured this out, I was confused as to why Jremote was getting out of sync with the tracks playing in Jriver.

So when Jriver switches zones, the new zone must be selected in Jremote. In Jremote the "double window" icon to the left of the play/pause buttons opens a list of zones. Selecting the zone (stereo or multi-channel) that corresponds with the file playing in Jriver gets Jremote back in sync.

I also found that each Jriver zone shows up as a "media player" on all my other DLNA devices. I haven't taken the time to figure out the whole UPnP/DLNA thing to know what to do with this, but it's there.

Russ

I know that. I don't want my MC18 to show missing locations like the removed HDD mentioned above.

They have been imported into the database so they will display. You could look at a way to filter them but I'm not sure it's possible ...actually, you simply add something like "Filename (path) does not contain x" - x being the highest level folder with the files you were trying to exclude.

DIGITAL: Windows 7 x64 JRMC19 >Adnaco S3B fiber over USB (battery power)> Auralic Vega > Tortuga LDR custom LPSU > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ANALOG: PTP Audio Solid 9 > Audiomods Series V > Audio Technica Art-7 MC > Allnic H1201 > Tortuga LDR > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ACCESSORIES: PlatterSpeed, BlackCat cables, Antipodes Cables, Huffman Cables, Feickert Protracter, OMA Graphite mat, JRemote

Update: Although Jriver automatically changes zones (via ZoneSwitch) when I move between stereo and multi-channel files, Jremote does not. Before I figured this out, I was confused as to why Jremote was getting out of sync with the tracks playing in Jriver.

So when Jriver switches zones, the new zone must be selected in Jremote. In Jremote the "double window" icon to the left of the play/pause buttons opens a list of zones. Selecting the zone (stereo or multi-channel) that corresponds with the file playing in Jriver gets Jremote back in sync.

I also found that each Jriver zone shows up as a "media player" on all my other DLNA devices. I haven't taken the time to figure out the whole UPnP/DLNA thing to know what to do with this, but it's there.

Russ

Have you checked the Jremote settings to see if the Zone behavior setting helps with this?

DIGITAL: Windows 7 x64 JRMC19 >Adnaco S3B fiber over USB (battery power)> Auralic Vega > Tortuga LDR custom LPSU > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ANALOG: PTP Audio Solid 9 > Audiomods Series V > Audio Technica Art-7 MC > Allnic H1201 > Tortuga LDR > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ACCESSORIES: PlatterSpeed, BlackCat cables, Antipodes Cables, Huffman Cables, Feickert Protracter, OMA Graphite mat, JRemote

I know that. I don't want my MC18 to show missing locations like the removed HDD mentioned above.

Sorry I re-read your post. Guessing you don't want these at all. Multiple ways to locate a delete from library. If broken links aren't being removed check the link Jim posted. Ivecseen this problem and could be the settings for protecting network files.

They have been imported into the database so they will display. You could look at a way to filter them but I'm not sure it's possible ...actually, you simply add something like "Filename (path) does not contain x" - x being the highest level folder with the files you were trying to exclude.

As per Jim's link, the way to deal with removed hdd's is to make sure "remove broken links" is checked in library options, then rerun manual import. It's simple...but I'm afraid he will respond to helpful suggestions with "I know that." :)

jriver broken links.jpg

Have you checked the Jremote settings to see if the Zone behavior setting helps with this?

That's a good idea. In Jremote I have "Switch zone on server as well as device" set to on. I'm guessing this pushes the zone switch from Jremote to Jriver. I'll turn it off to see what happens.

What I'd like to have happen is for Jriver to push the automatic ZoneSwitch to Jremote. I'll look in the zone configuration menus to see if there's a way to do this.

Russ

Access YADB, Gracenote, and FreeDB from JRMC

JRMC offers access to their YADB meta-data database. I don't use AccurateRip and rip in JRMC w/ SecureMode.

When a disc's meta-data is not found use, Audiograbber and/or Player to access alternative databases from within JRMC.

Audiograbber

Access to FreeDB. Click the FreeDB button and if the CD is found, the meta-data populates over the empty tracknames. In JRMC, simply update from CDplayer.ini.

• ONSjloGl.jpg

• mATUVKas.jpg

Player

Access to CDDB. First you must Register to Gracenote. Then you can use Ctrl+G or menu to retrieve disc info. Then you must Export .ini. In JRMC, update from CDplayer.ini *These aren't in order below but you can figure it out.

• 7c8q7ull.jpg
  • 2eaOvTfl.jpg
  • f9nUSjDl.jpg
  • spQEOsel.jpg

• mATUVKas.jpg

• 1 month later...

Still a "go to" thread...thank you EVERYONE who contributed!

Best,

John

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

• 2 months later...

I have had JRiver for Mac since the first beta was offered and I have MC19 now but I have failed to embrace its use and understand its set up so I have only tinkered with it for these past few months. But, I still have high hopes that this will be the go to system over my more familiar iTunes/Audivrana that I now use.

One question I have is should I now maintain two separate libraries on two separate external HDD one for iTunes and one for JRiver? Currently when I imported to JRiver I just followed the file path to my external HDD through iTunes to the Music folder. That seems to work but what if I am editing tags in one application or the other or adding a new file to one or the other? Am I going to manage two separate libraries or have to replicate what I have done versus the other?

Ultimately I would like JRiver to be my media library tool but right now I don't have the confidence or knowledge to make that commitment.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

You can use the same library for iTunes and JRiver. I do. But, you must do your edits in iTunes. When you add new files, first add them in iTunes. JRiver will automatically import what it sees on your hard drive. If you edit files in JRiver, iTunes will not be able to find them.

So the rule is to 1st add or edit in iTunes, then let JRiver import the files when you run MC19.

Steve Plaskin

A slight variation - not impugning the advise given by Mercman - lots of different ways to do it.

I have both Audirvana and MC18/19 (just moved fully to MC19). I store all my music files on my NAS. I don't let iTunes organize my library (personal taste). I use XLD to rip my CDs. I do most of my tagging in XLD (including updates to cover art and embed them within the files). XLD automatically places them in the correct music folder on my NAS. I store my DSD and high resolution files in separate folders on the NAS (thus one folder for DSD, one for high resolution and one for CDs). I don't really need to organize it that way for MC as no special import process of FLAC and DSD files is required for MC, unlike Audirvana integrated with iTunes).

Anyway, then I do import the new albums into iTunes and/or Audirvana (if FLAC or DSD) and use auto import with MC. The process is a lot easier with MC because it just watches the folders I designate for new files.

I have used MC for many, many months now so I am very very used to it, and to be honest I find the music management capabilities and the capability to locate albums and tunes much easier with MC and JRemote at this point in time, YMMV.

Barr

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

A slight variation - not impugning the advise given by Mercman - lots of different ways to do it.

I have both Audirvana and MC18/19 (just moved fully to MC19). I store all my music files on my NAS. I don't let iTunes organize my library (personal taste). I use XLD to rip my CDs. I do most of my tagging in XLD (including updates to cover art and embed them within the files). XLD automatically places them in the correct music folder on my NAS. I store my DSD and high resolution files in separate folders on the NAS (thus one folder for DSD, one for high resolution and one for CDs). I don't really need to organize it that way for MC as no special import process of FLAC and DSD files is required for MC, unlike Audirvana integrated with iTunes).

Anyway, then I do import the new albums into iTunes and/or Audirvana (if FLAC or DSD) and use auto import with MC. The process is a lot easier with MC because it just watches the folders I designate for new files.

I have used MC for many, many months now so I am very very used to it, and to be honest I find the music management capabilities and the capability to locate albums and tunes much easier with MC and JRemote at this point in time, YMMV.

Barr

I do the same but with the exception that I've given up with iTunes. It's just a complete pain compared to JRiver. XLD > NAS > JRiver = :-)

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos