IGNORED

JRiver tips and techniques: user experiences repository

ted_b

Weak, very weak. You've just lost another customer.

I'll be happy to see your company die, and I'm sure it will.

We're doing record business thanks to the likes of everyone in this thread. Thank you. Your support means a lot.

I stay up at night thinking of ways to make the program even better. Your help and your ideas are what fuel it. It's a great mixture, and I love my job.

Matt Ashland, JRiver

When I rip a CD to FLAC using SoundForge 11, the app uses Gracenote to retrieve the metadata.

On completion, the contents are checked with MP3tag to make sure the main data is correct. Hello..there's more here, there's listing of studio musicians, per track, producers, record locations, composer of course, a veritable wealth of information!

Is it possible for jRiver to use Gracenote and provide these details and searchable of course. Soundforge is a Sony product, so they would use their own database to work from, or are these fields hidden in some way through the regular databases jRiver uses that I can't see?

Gracenote is also used to identify tracks for the HAP-Z1ES player, there's bound to be more Sony products that do.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

I've tried reading through the JRIver Wiki a bit but I am not clear on if and how I might do this.

I use the Date field to reflect the original date of the album's release. I am interested in having a second field that would indicate the reissue date of the version that is in my library of the same album.

For instance:

John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton

Date: 1966 (original album release)

Date: 1994 (MFSL Gold CD stereo release)

or

Date: 2009 (Audio Fidelity Gold HDCD mono release)

I use the Comments field for descriptors such as those in the parentheses above.

Can I modify a field to do this? Can I add a new field? How would I do it?

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa
Tools -> Options -> Library & Folders -> Manage Library Fields -> Add A New Field ("reissue date")

Ok, that was too easy. Give me something harder.

i saw that but wasn't certain about filling out all the other fields but I guess leaving everything default works. Thank you. I've always kept the original album issue date but many times tried to recall when the CD or audiophile version was issued. I bet if I do this I'm in for a big backup.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

Currently I am experimenting with JRMC running as a server on on a ESX VM running on one of my servers. The only problem I have ran into is that VMWare disk access is pitifully slow, so I used direct Fibre passthrough connections to the SAN. I like this, though it does mean that music and video playback intrudes from the house "entertainment network" into my business network a little bit. Not much of course, but enough that there is a little voice in the back of my mind making me aware of it... "Entertainment network" computers most intrude into the business network only when they are backing up. ;)

This VM is a Windows Server 2012 R2. I am thinking of trying a Windows 8.1, Linux, and MacOS Server as well. Since Server runs so much better in an ESX VM than any other Windows version, I am inclined to try it. Has anyone else tried running JRMC as a server only in a virtualized environment? Any tips or hints?

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Hi, I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me out with a small issue I can't for the life of me figure out. Running JRiver 19.0.163 and JRemote 3.10. Using Media Center I like to stream RadioParadise from the internet. Doing this Media Center shows song title / artist. JRemote does not and I can't figure out how to get it to. Gizmo does though interestingly enough.

Thanks folks...

Jeff

Hi,

I am new to JRiver. Used to have a Olive 6HD that just crahed and the company wont help me, wont answer and has no phone number anymore. Not a good sign I guess. I decided to go a different route and got the Synology DS214 Play which is hooked up via ethernet to my wired network and outputs via USB lightlink (optical) cable to my belcanto 3.5 DAC. I can play music via the Synology audio player without problems. I then installed MC20 and followed the instructions posted in the review on this site. I can't get any music to play. Think I tried all the trouble-shooting but still no change. Does anyone with more experience can help me out. My goal is to play bit perfect through my belcanto with music stored on the DS214. Any suggestions please.

Hi,

I am new to JRiver. Used to have a Olive 6HD that just crahed and the company wont help me, wont answer and has no phone number anymore. Not a good sign I guess. I decided to go a different route and got the Synology DS214 Play which is hooked up via ethernet to my wired network and outputs via USB lightlink (optical) cable to my belcanto 3.5 DAC. I can play music via the Synology audio player without problems. I then installed MC20 and followed the instructions posted in the review on this site. I can't get any music to play. Think I tried all the trouble-shooting but still no change. Does anyone with more experience can help me out. My goal is to play bit perfect through my belcanto with music stored on the DS214. Any suggestions please.

I'm new to JRiver, too and use the DS214play. I'm outputting to a Directstream DAC via USB. No problems at all.

Have you loaded the driver for your DAC? I'm assuming you use the Windows version.

If you have, have you gone to Tools>Options>Audio and selected your DAC driver?

Try an Internet search for addthis. It's not malware.

Sorry if this question has been asked before. When JRiver starts a Windows explorer page loads up with this web address:

s7.addthis.com

Internet Explorer with enhanced security blocks this web site.

What is this? Is this malware?

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center / jriver.com

Thanks alcarp. I have made some progress last night and realized that my pc (windows 7) does't recognize the belcanto lightlink that goes from the DS214Play to the belcanto DAC, hence no signal reaches the speaker when I use jriver. DS Audio would play and reach the dac/speakers. So I guess I have two options given DS and DAC are in one room and pc in another. 1) get a long ST fiber glass cable, connect the lightlink to the pc and run the fiber cable to the DAC or 2) put another pc near the DS and connect that way.

Any suggestions.

I hope you don't mind if I repost something I posted on JRiver Interact today:

After working fine for weeks, neither my JRiver Id nor my MacBook can load my main media library which is on my Mac Mini. Attempts to load the library on either player result in the message: "There was a problem loading library. Please ensure that your network connection is available and that the server is running properly."

There does not seem to be anything wrong with my network. I have tried to connect with the firewall on the Mac Mini turned off and get the same result.

Any suggestions?

Note problem existed before and after upgrading both Mac Mini and Macbook to 20.0.40 and Id to 20.0.43.

No reply there. But this seems to be another font of expertise.

I'm very frustrated with the lack of support at JRiver. This is not the first time I've needed help and I doubt it will be the last given how quirky their program is--at least for Mac. Relying solely on a user forum might perhaps cut it for a purely software company, but when they start selling hardware, I don't think its acceptable to leave purchasers with no direct support.

Sorry Bogart24, I just read you had already tried that.

Another thing to try is reboot the router and switches. Are you connected wirelessly? Changed any LAN cables? Unplug and replug the LAN cables. Silly, I know, but I have been caught out by those myself.

The Mac Mini and Id are connected by ethernet. No changes in cables. The Macbook by wifi. I'll try your suggestions tomorrow. Thanks. At the moment I'm restoring an iPhone. (It's been that kind of day.)

It kind of sounds like a network problem to me, but honestly, you have found a real wierd one. I saw something like this when I updated JRMC from 18 to 19 and again from 19 to 20. It actually put the new version in it's own space instead of picking up all the settings from the older version. Annoying, but easily fixed. I kind of thought that must be a fluke, since I did not see anyone else complaining about it.

This is the Mac version by the way. Once you work past the frustration, I would expect that you will find the Mac version very stable and trouble free. Oh, do turn off automatic updates in JRiver and MacOS. JRMC does or can get hung up when an update dialog box is displayed. No idea why.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

I'm new to JRiver and am using the Windows version.

I want to know how to import the customized classification fields like grouping and genre into the JRiver library.

These fields are on the actual media files themselves. I'm sure of this as Audirvana 2.0 copies them when creating its library.

I'm new to JRiver and am using the Windows version.

I want to know how to import the customized classification fields like grouping and genre into the JRiver library.

These fields are on the actual media files themselves. I'm sure of this as Audirvana 2.0 copies them when creating its library.

Genre and grouping are there; they are standard ID3V2 fields and available for browsing by right clicking any column and scrolling down to them alphabetically and choosing them.

JRiver fields.jpg