IGNORED

JRiver tips and techniques: user experiences repository

ted_b

I thought of building a C.A.P.S. level build but am reasonably pleased with my present HTPC. I'm not sure that my modest system (Music Fidelity Vlink 192 > Schiit Bifrost Uber > Marantz SR 6005 / Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs LR - 5B Center - 4 4DPs & Bravus 12D) would be revealing enough to warrant the investment in a C.A.P.S. build.

However, I do like the notion of having the libraries share the same database which could be centrally located on my NAS. Keeping the libraries' content synched with Syncovery is a simple matter but sharing a central database between devices sounds worthy of a try.

Any tips on setting this up? It seems like it is relatively straight forward.

Any thoughts on unwanted and unintended consequences?

Actually (I think) the library database is stored on the main PC running JRiver (the CAPS music server in my scenario) and the files themselves are out on a shared drive. The alternate computer running JRiver can "connect" to your main music server's JRiver database if that machine is on (thus leaving mine on 24x7). So the alternate computer uses the main database, with all its custom views, and the main database's pointers to wherever the files are.

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

I have 3 JRiver installs that use my NAS-based music files. I don't synch anything; no need. Each JRiver install does auto-import on the NAS music (one of them looks at my multichannel folders too, cuz it is a multichannel setup), so anytime I add or change music on the NAS each JRIver instance auto-updates their library cuz they monitor them 24/7. No need for any 3rd party synching (or JRIver synching for that matter).

I have 3 JRiver installs that use my NAS-based music files. I don't synch anything; no need. Each JRiver install does auto-import on the NAS music (one of them looks at my multichannel folders too, cuz it is a multichannel setup), so anytime I add or change music on the NAS each JRIver instance auto-updates their library cuz they monitor them 24/7. No need for any 3rd party synching (or JRIver synching for that matter).

I do the same but have even more copies of JRiver running. They all share the same NAS directories, so that is all good as you say. But what about sharing custom views, playlists, smartlists, and things like that? I haven't found a way to sync those.

My instances are all there for different reasons so I have unique custom views in each one. I copied them initially as I mentioned earlier but they morphed into their own. Sounds like Library server synch doesn't work for you cuz of custom views?

Library Server Sync - JRiverWiki

I do the same but have even more copies of JRiver running. They all share the same NAS directories, so that is all good as you say. But what about sharing custom views, playlists, smartlists, and things like that? I haven't found a way to sync those.

I appreciate the advantage of a central, shared library on a NAS operating 24/7. Given my simple needs and as as a former clinical research associate, managing and synching data, is a task I still find pleasurable. So this is less an issue for me.

My thought, naive perhaps, is that a simple and short SATA connection to drives in my HTPC would afford me the simplest (arguable best) interface for audio file traffic. Perhaps a question for another forum, but is there any net loss in fidelity with a network connection?

I will research elsewhere and experiment myself (theory aside, my ears will guide me in practice). However, I am curious as to the experience of others in this matter. At least I'll place my JRMC database on the 24/7 NAS and see how that 'serves' me...

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

but is there any net loss in fidelity with a network connection?

Of course not. The same bits are read from the file wherever you have the file stored.

For extra credit, you could enable memory playback so that the entire file is read into memory at the start so that there's no I/O while it plays.

Matt Ashland, JRiver

[quote name= Originally Posted by BacHolz View Post

but is there any net loss in fidelity with a network connection?

Matt Ashland]Of course not. The same bits are read from the file wherever you have the file stored.

For extra credit, you could enable memory playback so that the entire file is read into memory at the start so that there's no I/O while it plays.

Clearly a poor choice of words on my part, I grasp that bits are bits regardless of source. A more careful phrasing of my question might be as follows: "For the individual without the need for multi-location or concurrent playback, is there a preferred method of accessing one's audio files? A short and sweet SATA interface might seem preferable to those like myself who are poorly informed in the intricacies of digital audio.

As to the memory playback option, I have used that and will try again in this new context. Thanks for responding and for the suggestion.

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

Hello everybody

I am relatively new to JRiver for Mac and I am having a problem. I don't know why (perhaps bad settings) my library is constantly being erased; meaning 0 files although keeping its name (main library). When I try to import it again Jriver says that the original volume (my Lenovo NAS) is not there. So I have to go and rebuild the link with the NAS. Then the import process starts again (about 10-15 minutes) and everything reappears, although in the process some artwork get lost. What am I doing wrong?

Many thanks in advance for your answers

This sounds like it may be a problem with making sure the NAS drive is mounted before starting JRMC. Do the icons in JRMC disappear, or does it just complain that the file it is looking for is missing?

-Paul

Hello everybody

I am relatively new to JRiver for Mac and I am having a problem. I don't know why (perhaps bad settings) my library is constantly being erased; meaning 0 files although keeping its name (main library). When I try to import it again Jriver says that the original volume (my Lenovo NAS) is not there. So I have to go and rebuild the link with the NAS. Then the import process starts again (about 10-15 minutes) and everything reappears, although in the process some artwork get lost. What am I doing wrong?

Many thanks in advance for your answers

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

It's only saying that the file is missing, while the screen shows all of the thumbnails

The thumbnails can be stored in the JRiver library files, which may be local (not NAS) and your NAS folders may be not mounted yet cuz something between the MAC and NAS need to be authenticated or password protected? As Paul is saying, make sure the NAS is mounted (and set it to auto mount when you start the MAC). Look at the Mac folder view and see if the NAS is showing. Then look at the files view in JRIver and scroll over to the filename....is it looking in the right directory letter, etc?

It's only saying that the file is missing, while the screen shows all of the thumbnails

Ah- then I think if you mount the NAS drive on your Mac, it should allow all the files to play. If this solves the issue, there are ways to auto mount that NAS drive when you log in.

Here is a good (and simple!) reference from the Web that will help you auto mount the NAS drive. As a bonus, they have an applescript on the page you can use to check and remount a drive if it gets disconnected for some reason. :)

OS X: Auto-mount network drive upon server disconnect | MeyerMED

Yours,

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

I have a similar problem - sometimes Jriver loses connection with a portable hard drive hooked up to my laptop. I load a library that is associated with files on this hard drive and all the thumbnails are x's. The only solution is to delete all the files and import all over again. This usually happens when I don't have the hard drive connected for awhile.

Any idea why this happens?

If JRIver is set to auto import a directory that sometimes doesn't exist it will go look for it (monitors it to auto-synch for changes, etc) and if it doesn't see it then it will produce x's until you restart JRiver. It ain't THAT smart. :)

Thx for the suggestions. I followed them and until now it's working. If the problem persists I wll turn down auto import

Glad that is working for you. It;s always nice to have a simple answer for an annoying problem. The tough answers we have to get from Ted. :)

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

Unfortunately, the problem came back. I was retagging files and a screen appeared saying that JRiver did not find the file. I went to library and it looked that not all the files were loaded, so I asked for auto import. This just removed the remaining files leaving the library in zero. So again I have to rebuild it. Any suggestions?

Thx

Moreover, now Media Centre quits "unexpectedly" a couple of times in the middle of the import process

I have experienced the same problem with losing the connection to the NAS from my Mini. Unlike my PC, the Mini does not automatically reconnect to network drives unless you follow the instructions above. If you are continuing to lose the files even after setting up the auto login, there must be some other problem with your Mac or your network that is causing the Mini to lose the connection to the NAS.

Ah- then I think if you mount the NAS drive on your Mac, it should allow all the files to play. If this solves the issue, there are ways to auto mount that NAS drive when you log in.

Here is a good (and simple!) reference from the Web that will help you auto mount the NAS drive. As a bonus, they have an applescript on the page you can use to check and remount a drive if it gets disconnected for some reason. :)

OS X: Auto-mount network drive upon server disconnect | MeyerMED

Yours,

-Paul

Thanks, Paul, this is really helpful, I always had to manually reconnect my NAS after my Macs rebooted for any reason. I was tempted to implement the script but didn't. I've always read that you don't want a lot of other processes running on the Mac when you are using it for music streaming and having a script fire every 5 minutes seems like it could cause dropouts. Have you used this script successfully without any sound quality impacts?

Thx for the answer. The weird thing is that it happens without any rebooting. MC looses connection suddenly and then it is also difficult to make it quit from the Apple menu. Last time only a shutdown with the rear button allowed me to regain control

Thx for the answer. The weird thing is that it happens without any rebooting. MC looses connection suddenly and then it is also difficult to make it quit from the Apple menu. Last time only a shutdown with the rear button allowed me to regain control

I run JRiver on 4 Mac Mini's and have not experienced a problem like this. JRMC will lose connection to the NAS after a rebooted unless you remount the NAS folder manually or have the auto mount enabled. When you say JRMC loses connection, can you still see the NAS is connected via Finder? As long as the drive is mounted, JRMC should see it. If your NAS is randomly disconnecting from your Mac, there is some other issue in your network.

I think I found out part of the problem. I do not know why part of the library was saved under Music in the itunes folder of my mac mini instead of the nas server (i used to use audirvana with Itunes in the past). I am now copying each file to the nas and then see if the problem will be solved

I think I found out part of the problem. I do not know why part of the library was saved under Music in the itunes folder of my mac mini instead of the nas server (i used to use audirvana with Itunes in the past). I am now copying each file to the nas and then see if the problem will be solved

JRMC also can import for multiple libraries if you want to save the hassle of copying everything to your NAS but it does mean you have to keep your MAC Mini on all the time.