IGNORED

JRiver tips and techniques: user experiences repository

ted_b

I would just like to record my appreciation for a fantastic product in JRiver. I'm new to using Windows for audio having come from a Mac/Audirvana background and was very impressed with the ease of setup, east of use and sound quality of JRiver. Everything seems to be so intuitive in the user interface and its speed in creating a library is especially impressive.

So congratulations and thanks to the folks at JRiver.

Its such a shame that these threads are being polluted with endless debate about Jplay issues, "bits are bits" theories etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone out there use JRMC 18 to stream radio?

For 2 years, my HTPC was on "sneaker net", ie, not connected to the web. I recently joined the evil Comcast empire and installed 60' of ethernet cable outside of my house and back into the living room so that I could connect my PC to the web. The hole in my wall had been for my custom FM antenna but is now occupied by Cat5e. With my tuner retired, I'm now connecting to the web for FM.

I can play my favorite stations from a browser but the stream is not routed thru my DAC. I can play the MC18 preloaded stations thru my DAC but not the 2 stations I most want to listen to. I've used the "Add website" with the "Connected media" on MC18 but the stream does not start (it opens a browser - which doesn't happen with the pre-loads - but no music). I went to "Tools>Options" to allow access thru the firewall. No go.

I would REALLY like to access these stations with MC 18 so that I don't have to constantly change the default audio output device between my DAC and the audio card on my PC.

Any hints?

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

I would just like to record my appreciation for a fantastic product in JRiver. I'm new to using Windows for audio having come from a Mac/Audirvana background and was very impressed with the ease of setup, east of use and sound quality of JRiver. Everything seems to be so intuitive in the user interface and its speed in creating a library is especially impressive.

So congratulations and thanks to the folks at JRiver.

Its such a shame that these threads are being polluted with endless debate about Jplay issues, "bits are bits" theories etc.

Thanks a lot alcarp for taking the time to be so nice.

Matt Ashland, JRiver

I can play my favorite stations from a browser but the stream is not routed thru my DAC. I can play the MC18 preloaded stations thru my DAC but not the 2 stations I most want to listen to. I've used the "Add website" with the "Connected media" on MC18 but the stream does not start (it opens a browser - which doesn't happen with the pre-loads - but no music). I went to "Tools>Options" to allow access thru the firewall. No go.

Try opening the stream with File > Open URL. If it plays, go to Playing Now and right click on the stream, then save it as a playlist. It may work.

Web radio has a lot of variations, some of them to hide the URL. An Internet search for the station name might give you the correct URL.

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center / jriver.com

Try opening the stream with File > Open URL. If it plays, go to Playing Now and right click on the stream, then save it as a playlist. It may work.

Web radio has a lot of variations, some of them to hide the URL. An Internet search for the station name might give you the correct URL.

Thank you for the reply.

When I do this from MC 18, it opens a browser instead of playing the stream. Could it be because I'm using Firefox instead of Explorer?

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

I've had the same problems and reached the same conclusion that Matt pointed out, it seems like a lot of the radio stations want you to use THEIR interface and hide the URL:port. It's quite aggravating.

I have managed to dig around (google) and I also have a little sniffer program that will find the URL:port being used for the music stream, I've had about 20-30% success with these tricks - it's very frustrating. I'll see if I can find that sniffer tool.

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

I've had the same problems and reached the same conclusion that Matt pointed out, it seems like a lot of the radio stations want you to use THEIR interface and hide the URL:port. It's quite aggravating.

I have managed to dig around (google) and I also have a little sniffer program that will find the URL:port being used for the music stream, I've had about 20-30% success with these tricks - it's very frustrating. I'll see if I can find that sniffer tool.

Hmm, it does seem to be something about the specific station . . . I just successfully used MC 18 to connect to a station on my third attempt.

If it plays, go to Playing Now and right click on the stream, then save it as a playlist. It may work.

Right click on stream? Where/how do I right click on the "stream"?

EDIT: I found it by right clicking under "filename"

I spent probably 2 hours cumulative trying to get my favorite station to stream thru MC18. I found several URLs but they all caused a browser or WMP to open. I finally found one that I was able to put into a playlist. Whew!

You can get MC to open any web page by dragging the page onto a view that uses a browser window. Start, for example.

Yes, and that gets me the radio station's web page, full of its ads and obnoxious graphics flashing about. If I wanted the radio station's interface I could have just as easily saved it as a Favorite under IE.

Please help if I am missing something. I have managed to capture a half dozen decent radio stations and like the ability to easily select it in JRemote and play it anywhere in the house (I have Sonos access points throughout the house), btw I have a custom view just for the radio stations. Unfortunately some of the better stations are stubborn and very cleaver regarding the way they are hiding their streaming URL and ports.

thanks

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Yes, and that gets me the radio station's web page, full of its ads and obnoxious graphics flashing about. If I wanted the radio station's interface I could have just as easily saved it as a Favorite under IE.

Yes!

To clarify my previous post: when I type the URL for these "hidden" stations into MC18, either a browser is opened or WMP starts, ie, it does NOT start streaming thru MC 18 (which is what I want to avoid having to change the sound card settings each time).

After a LOT of searching/trial and error, I finally found a URL that was compatible with JRiver's post #510.

Try opening the stream with File > Open URL. If it plays, go to Playing Now and right click on the stream, then save it as a playlist.

Yes!

To clarify my previous post: when I type the URL for these "hidden" stations into MC18, either a browser is opened or WMP starts, ie, it does NOT start streaming thru MC 18 (which is what I want to avoid having to change the sound card settings each time).

After a LOT of searching/trial and error, I finally found a URL that was compatible with JRiver's post #510.

Since JRiver is not really helping here, you could use a tool like HTTPWatch to quickly identify the URL that's streaming the music data. There's a free and basic version available here: HttpWatch 9.4: HTTP Sniffer for IE, Firefox, iPhone and iPad

Since JRiver is not really helping here, you could use a tool like HTTPWatch to quickly identify the URL that's streaming the music data. There's a free and basic version available here: HttpWatch 9.4: HTTP Sniffer for IE, Firefox, iPhone and iPad

I will admit that this used to be easier, it seems that about 6 months ago the radio stations started getting really good at hiding their ports. It looks like they want to convince their advertisers that they have captured you on their site and not giving away music through another interface.

I eventually gave up and get my radio through Sonos (though I still have a handful of stations on JRMC).

Amar,

You're just such a sweet person. I don't know how you do it. You're everywhere. You know everything. Things I didn't even know about JRiver. It's astounding.

Thank you Jim, and what can I say, it's a gift! My employer compensates me generously for it as well! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Just loaded JRiver MC20 onto a Macbook Pro running Mavericks. I'm getting an occasional hangup on audio playback, I guess it could be described as a pop, it just sounds like the track hangs for a very brief moment during playback. I can't seem to reliably recreate it, but it does come and go. Sometimes it does stop for a while when I restart the program. I've tried a variety of DSP settings as well as audio device settings, changing buffer sizes, memory playback and so forth, nothing seems to consistently work.

I did replace the spinning drive for an SSD in the macbook, and I maxed the ram, which is 8G. I've tried several DACs including a Dragonfly, Wadia di122, and a Wadia 321.

Any additional suggestions?

Audio Artisans

Saving the World from Inferior Audio

Just loaded JRiver MC20 onto a Macbook Pro running Mavericks. I'm getting an occasional hangup on audio playback, I guess it could be described as a pop, it just sounds like the track hangs for a very brief moment during playback. I can't seem to reliably recreate it, but it does come and go. Sometimes it does stop for a while when I restart the program. I've tried a variety of DSP settings as well as audio device settings, changing buffer sizes, memory playback and so forth, nothing seems to consistently work.

I did replace the spinning drive for an SSD in the macbook, and I maxed the ram, which is 8G. I've tried several DACs including a Dragonfly, Wadia di122, and a Wadia 321.

Any additional suggestions?

Increasing the buffering in Options > Audio > Device settings... is your best bet. Increasing prebuffering in Options > Audio > Prebuffering can also help.

Matt Ashland, JRiver