IGNORED

JRiver tips and techniques: user experiences repository

ted_b

I've run into a little stability issue with JRiver and I am uncertain as to what the cause might be. I installed .74 on 2/22 and .80 on 3/9. This has been occurring since.

The first thing that began to happen is a pause/skip during a second. Sometimes it would happen for a song or two and then not occur for awhile. Occasionally and more recently the music would just stop and JRiver lock up. The only way to escape was to do a Force Quit. The majority of my playback is from Smartlists in Shuffle mode.

I tried using Audirvana in integrated mode and didn't experiwnce the issue. Tonight it happened twice once after 24 songs had played and once after 19 songs played.

I'm playing music again now and sort of just waiting for this to happen. Since it didn't appear to happen with Audirvana I assume JRiver is at fault. I still have a copy of the .67 dmg file and I'm thinking of reinstalling this as I know I didn't experience the problem with that version. If it occurs with that version then I guess it points to my system though nothing else has changed with my DAC, Mac Mini or HDD units.

Any others experiencing this? Any thoughts or suggestions?

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

It's just shut down for the third time tonight. I'm installing .67. I'll see how that goes tomorrow. The pausing/skipping that preceded the shut down before did not happen the last three times.

Frank Zappa

Speaking of which I should post that after reinstalling .80 and completely shutting down anything associated with computer, network or audio system and restarting I am now operating normally again without the pause/skip/shut down adventures

Frank Zappa

I should have known this earlier, and this update/note may fall on deaf ears for some but.....:

If you are needing to hide certain music from your JRIver library, you can do so in the uppermost parent view called "Audio". A parent view like Audio cascades it's rules down to all child views.

Here's my real world example. I have several JRiver installs, and in only one of them do I have a multichannel DAC attached. So....I want to make sure that multichannel music does not show in my other JRiver libraries. An easy way is to point those JRIver libraries at stereo-only folders..but what if you don;t have folders set up that way. or what if you have LOTS (and I have LOTS) of SACD ISOs, which usually carry both stereo and multichannel content?

I posted here long ago that I set up a custom view, under audio, called ISO and it consists of two rules (file type is "SACD', channels less than or equal to 2) so as to keep me from accidentally playing the mch content (usually listed innocently as the last half of the tracks on an ISO). That view takes care of it.

BUT...if I am browsing via another view, say artist or album, and I pick that album (which is an ISO) the filter doesn't exist there. I am likely to play files that are incompatible with my DAC.

So..I could change every view...or simply add this rule to my top level (locked, need to override) AUDIO view: "channels less than or equal to 2". All susbequent child views (artists, album, genre,, etc etc) now inherit that rule. :) I am a happy camper.

So, those of you who have ISOs in their library, but have no ability to play back the mch content of those ISOs, you might want to simplify and change your top level AUDIO view to filter out multichannel content.

• 2 weeks later...

COVER VIEW

Can an someone explain what Cover View does on JRiver for Mac? I have four selections under View in JRiver. They are Standard View, Mini View, Display View and Cover View. Under Standard I see the full screen of JRiver. The Mini View I don't use but displays a mini-player control and a small information screen. Display View, which I use a lot, gives me a full screen view of the cover artwork for the album or song that is playing. Cover View is a blank white screen and I cannot see how to activate or use it. I searched on the JRiver Wiki and came up with lots of comments on covers and views but nothing on Cover View. I appreciate any insight and explanation as to what it does and how to use it.

Frank Zappa

I'm also getting a completely blank (white) screen with Cover View on JRMC for Mac (20.0.87). If it's meant to be their implementation of Full Screen mode in OSX, they obviously have a bit of work to do....

MacBook Pro 2021 16” (M1 Pro, 16MB RAM, macOS Ventura) > Audirvana Origin > Pangea Audio USB-AG > Sony TA-ZH1ES > Nordost Heimdall 2 > Audeze LCD-3

Cover view is full screen mode of standard view (i.e side panels and transport stuff is only when you hover)

View Modes - JRiverWiki

I'm also getting a completely blank (white) screen with Cover View on JRMC for Mac (20.0.87). If it's meant to be their implementation of Full Screen mode in OSX, they obviously have a bit of work to do....

Others have posted this problem on the JRiver for Mac forum without response.

Frank Zappa

If I select Standard View, Mini View or Display View I get what I would expect but selecting Cover View is simply a blank white screen. I don't know if this is a bug in the system or a set up issue on my (and others) end

Frank Zappa
  • 3 weeks later...

Question (MacOS JRiver Media Center 20.0.094):

Under Media Center>Tools>Options>Configure Media Network it does not matter whether I choose Audiophile 24 bit DAC or Generic DLNA. What does matter is the Mode. If I set Mode to "Original" all works properly (i.e., dsd, aif, flac files play in their correct formats).

However, I do not know what the Format does under this Mode setting.

If Mode is set to "Original" does the Format setting mean anything, or is it ignored?

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi folks,

Yes, it's me again. I have JRiver 19 set up properly I think. I use a custom view so that I can just see FLAC files. I've had this before & it worked great for when I'm using an app to remotely control JRMC.

It allowed me to start up my aps (Gizmo & EOS) and I could select the FLAC view.

I've now set it up to do that again but for some reason neither app is allowing me to see this view. I get all the others - Artist, Album, Genre etc - but not the one I want.

Any idea what I'm missing here?

Many thanks,

Gordon.

if "I've now set it up to do that again" means a new setup and a new remote access code then you need to do the gizmo import again since FLAC view is non-standard (custom).

JRiver jremote add.jpg

if "I've now set it up to do that again" means a new setup and a new remote access code then you need to do the gizmo import again since FLAC view is non-standard (custom).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18637[/ATTACH]

That's it Ted!

Thank you very much mate.

Gordon.

Hi Ted,

If you don't mind could I ask you another question?

Is there a way to have the actual folder structure show up as a view in eos or Gizmo?

I think I've exhausted every possibility but with no success. However I wouldn't be surprised if I'm missing something.

Cheers,

Gordon.

I did it in JRemote (can't speak for gizmo generally).

Try this:

Make sure your Files view shows Location as the first pane......

filesview.jpg

then....Simply add Files view (Library Item From Standard View ->Audio\Files) in the Gizmo add workflow (as pictured above).

Hi Ted,

That's not really what I'm looking for. I'm sorry, I'm not very good at explaining what I'm looking for.

I just use a very basic view on the desktop. As long as I can see the folders I'm good.

Jriver Screen_02_Snapseed.jpg

I'd like to also see that folder structure displayed on the remote app, be it Eos or Gizmo.

What I want soo remotely is first of all my 'Music' folder. Then click on that & get to my artist folders, then album & so on..

It may not be possible.

Gordon.

Yes, that folder structure needs to be in your real storage. So the location tab on files should have that tree/folder structure. Me, I have my Synology as Music, then folders called Lossless (basically all my redbook), DSD, Hirez, etc. and under that I have album folders named Artist-Album. Regardless, that is how location sees them and that is how JRemote sees them. Whatever your folder structure, location is that structure. And as long as location is the first sort in your file view it should work...of course you need to import to gizmo.

Hi Gordon,

Another option would be to use Jriver in DLNA mode and use an UPnP controller app instead. They all have folder view.

I think this may be my only option. When you say UPnP app are you meaning something like Splashtop or the like?

Yes, that folder structure needs to be in your real storage. So the location tab on files should have that tree/folder structure. Me, I have my Synology as Music, then folders called Lossless (basically all my redbook), DSD, Hirez, etc. and under that I have album folders named Artist-Album. Regardless, that is how location sees them and that is how JRemote sees them. Whatever your folder structure, location is that structure. And as long as location is the first sort in your file view it should work...of course you need to import to gizmo.

No matter how I configure it there's no way to achieve what I'm looking for I'm afraid.

Thanks for the help guys, it's really very much appreciated.

Gordon.

Hi Gordon,

More like Linn Kinsky, Lightning DS, audionett, plugplayer, etc. Free apps that are UPnP controllers.

Splashtop or Mocha VNC are used to view your desktop in a headless setup, as if you had an LCD attached. Also handy, but a different way. You would not need to run Jriver in DLNA mode in that case.