IGNORED

JRiver tips and techniques: user experiences repository

ted_b

I see you've been here a long time. I certainly love your attitude. I'm someone else who buys a software and if it only works in the way it's supposed to and not the way I wanted to I get totally indignant how dare they

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

This is unbelievable, what kind of crowd control potion do they put in the drinking water in the US to make such Walking Dead, not thinking for yourselves, zombies out of you!? :D

JRiver deliberately builds in code in MC to detect if we have JPlay running, if we do they display a warning message that "JPlay is a HOAX". And not once, no they repeat the message intermittently. How can anyone find this normal or even OK?

I'm not an idiot. I don't need the stickers on my microwave, that I believe you in the US have, telling me that I can't dry my rain soaked dog in it and while that is indeed dangerous (for the dog ;)) I certainly don't need software company A warning me about a product of software company B. There's no danger in that, who are they to tell me what software I can buy and install? Is this practice even legal in the US? Legal or illegal I find it seriously disturbing and it has a very pedantic/childish touch to it as well.

And why does it matter how low I've been an active poster on this forum? I've been reading here since I don't know when, does it make me a lesser individual I've only registered recently? :)

This is unbelievable, what kind of crowd control potion do they put in the drinking water in the US to make such Walking Dead, not thinking for yourselves, zombies out of you!? :D

JRiver deliberately builds in code in MC to detect if we have JPlay running, if we do they display a warning message that "JPlay is a HOAX". And not once, no they repeat the message intermittently. How can anyone find this normal or even OK?

I'm not an idiot. I don't need the stickers on my microwave, that I believe you in the US have, telling that I can't dry my rain soaked dog in it and while that is indeed dangerous (for the dog ;)) I certainly don't need software company A warning me about a product of software company B. There's no danger in that, who are they to tell me what software I can buy and install? Is this practice even legal in the US? Legal or illegal I find it seriously disturbing and it has a very pedantic/childish touch to it as well.

Ok so now you are going to denigrate the US in general in your tirade. They developed their product. If they don't want a hitchhiker taking a free ride I have no problem with it. It was pointed out that you have this incredible thing called free choice. If this is such a dire situation for you the only logical thing for you to do is decide not to use JRiver based on your opinion of the circumstances. Though Im not about to denigrate the Netherlands based on one persons, in my opinion, very slanted point of view I will again say in a very short number of posts you have rather well identified yourself.

Frank Zappa

I'm not an idiot. I don't need the stickers on my microwave, that I believe you in the US have, telling that I can't dry my rain soaked dog in it and while that is indeed dangerous (for the dog ;)) I certainly don't need software company A warning me about a product of software company B. There's no danger in that, who are they to tell me what software I can buy and install? Is this practice even legal in the US? Legal or illegal I find it seriously disturbing and it has a very pedantic/childish touch to it as well.

And why does it matter how low I've been an active poster on this forum? I've been reading here since I don't know when, does it make me a lesser individual I've only registered recently? :)

I think it's perfectly acceptable - people are attempting to use JPlay as a plug-in to JRiver Media Center, which causes JRiver support issues and promotes dissatisfaction with JRiver's product. It's obvious that JPlay also illegally "borrowed" the "J+<product name>" nomenclature, which is also an attempt to blur the lines between the official JRiver product line and a third-party plug-in.

It's as if someone built a product called "iPlay" that hijacked iTunes playback mechanism and, in the process, caused a surge of calls to Apple claiming iTunes was "broken" - don't you think Apple would jump all over that third-party with a "cease-and-desist" order?

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

I think it's perfectly acceptable - people are attempting to use JPlay as a plug-in to JRiver Media Center, which causes JRiver support issues and promotes dissatisfaction with JRiver's product. It's obvious that JPlay also illegally "borrowed" the "J+<product name>" nomenclature, which is also an attempt to blur the lines between the official JRiver product line and a third-party plug-in.

It's as if someone built a product called "iPlay" that hijacked iTunes playback mechanism and, in the process, caused a surge of calls to Apple claiming iTunes was "broken" - don't you think Apple would jump all over that third-party with a "cease-and-desist" order?

I agree.

Frank Zappa
Ok so now you are going to denigrate the US in general in your tirade. They developed their product. If they don't want a hitchhiker taking a free ride I have no problem with it. It was pointed out that you have this incredible thing called free choice. If this is such a dire situation for you the only logical thing for you to do is decide not to use JRiver based on your opinion of the circumstances. Though Im not about to denigrate the Netherlands based on one persons, in my opinion, very slanted point of view I will again say in a very short number of posts you have rather well identified yourself.

Free choice? The only free choices that I have are to stop using JRMC or fight this idiotic JPlay HOAX message practice. I only recently found out about this practice as I didn't use JPlay before.

I don't see any hitchhiking, JPlay can work with any player that has an ASIO output. If they bettered their product we wouldn't need JPlay.

But if you want me to shut up I'll give you my Paypal address so you can refund me the money I paid for the original MC18/19 license and upgrade to V20. I don't care about the lousy few dollars but the principle matters to me. It would be easier if everyone would just agree that this hoax warning message is crazy. JRiver is clearly only punishing their own customers with it, not the so called "hitchhiker". Even people who know about the message upfront still decide to buy if they want to use JPlay, why punish these people?

And of course I was trying to keep it light by joking about the US and it's crazy microwave stickers, see the smiley's I used. You've used sarcasm yourself in your previous reply so don't feel victimized now all of a sudden.

The main author of JPlay is named Joseph.

JPlay is NOT a plugin, it's a virtual ASIO output device to JRiver. They don't ban ASIO4All either right?

The only thing JRiver seems to be upset about, to me, is that JPlay doesn't adhere to the 'bits are bits' dogma. I am happy they don't JPlay gives me a better sound quality and music enjoyment, and not only me but other JPlay users as well.

I think that's the point we disagree, your principle.

I'm wondering how you'll feel or what you will say/do when Apple decides to annoy and irritate you with warning messages because you use Audirvana, "The Sound of Your Dreams". (I see it mentioned, with a typo, in your sig.) Damn, how dare they hitchhike on the success of iTunes!

I'm wondering how you'll feel or what you will say/do when Apple decides to annoy and irritate you with warning messages because you use Audirvana, "The Sound of Your Dreams". (I see it mentioned, with a typo, in your sig.) Damn, how dare they hitchhike on the success of iTunes!

If Apple should decide to do something of this nature and/or they are receiving support calls for iTunes based on issues with Audivrana or Pure Music etc it is their intellectual property and certainly have that right. No problem because I have the free choice of not using it if I don't care for an aspect of it. I would think it ludicrous that I would so aggressively demand from a product owner and developer what they choose to do with another product who attemps to come along for the ride.

Joseph. Hilarious! I'm certain you are correct in how the product name was chosen. I'll apologize for my cynicism in that matter.

Thanks for the spell check. It's very obvious how congenial and helpful you are. All better now.

Frank Zappa
If Apple should decide to do something of this nature and/or they are receiving support calls for iTunes based on issues with Audivrana or Pure Music etc it is their intellectual property and certainly have that right. No problem because I have the free choice of not using it if I don't care for an aspect of it. I would think it ludicrous that I would so aggressively demand from a product owner and developer what they choose to do with another product who attemps to come along for the ride.

Joseph. Hilarious! I'm certain you are correct in how the product name was chosen. I'll apologize for my cynicism in that matter.

Thanks for the spell check. It's very obvious how congenial and helpful you are. All better now.

Where's this support call argument coming from? How do you know this raised support calls? As far as I know, JRiver's "support" is all done though a public forum. So maybe you could point me to the facts? Oh, I double quoted the word support as I find the, generally poor, one liner replies from overworked JRiver employees hardly worthy of the name support.

Fact is you'll be pissed when Apple decides to nag you with warning messages. Really no point in denying that. You'd also install the first working patch that becomes available to get rid of the nags.

What if Joseph was named Frank and the product was called FPlay. Would then the author(s) of Foobar be pissed and the authors of JRiver be OK with it? :D For ###'s sake, it's so childish, it's a damn media player, no lives depend on it, why can't these jriver guys just rely on their own strengths, does it have to be totalitarian control...

You misspelled Audirvana in your last post BTW. You're welcome.

Maybe it's just that JRiver and JPlay don't like each other and we are just pawns in their battle of chess?

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

I've got no vested interested in this as I don't have either JRiver or Jplay.

But lets recap the issues:

The authors of JRiver feel strongly about JPlay. Fair enough. They have a web presence and a very active forum. They can use either or both to communicate their views to customers and potential customers. There is no need to force an intruding banner about JPlay being fake on an unsuspecting customer.

I think its disingenuous for someone to say you have freedom of choice and can stop using JRiver because by that time the customer has already paid for the licence. Is JRiver willing to refund the entry price?

Regarding the naming of JPlay someone advanced the hypothesis that if an author created a product called iPlay as an add-on to iTunes it would incur Apple's displeasure. In that case, Apple can sue for infringement of brand identity. JRiver is free to do the same.

Lastly, to claim that another product is a fake so brazenly is to allege conduct bordering on the criminal. At the very least, if JRiver is justified in making such a claim they should at least get an independent authority to verify this claim by a properly conducted double blind test. JRiver should either put up or shut up.

I, for one, bought JPlay because I thought it was the official remote for JRiver. I then had to buy JRemote, which I do use. I guess I should have asked for a refund from JPlay. I still have it. Anyone want to buy my license for JPlay.

Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

I've got no vested interested in this as I don't have either JRiver or Jplay.

But lets recap the issues:

The authors of JRiver feel strongly about JPlay. Fair enough. They have a web presence and a very active forum. They can use either or both to communicate their views to customers and potential customers. There is no need to force an intruding banner about JPlay being fake on an unsuspecting customer.

I think its disingenuous for someone to say you have freedom of choice and can stop using JRiver because by that time the customer has already paid for the licence. Is JRiver willing to refund the entry price?

Regarding the naming of JPlay someone advanced the hypothesis that if an author created a product called iPlay as an add-on to iTunes it would incur Apple's displeasure. In that case, Apple can sue for infringement of brand identity. JRiver is free to do the same.

Lastly, to claim that another product is a fake so brazenly is to allege conduct bordering on the criminal. At the very least, if JRiver is justified in making such a claim they should at least get an independent authority to verify this claim by a properly conducted double blind test. JRiver should either put up or shut up.

Thank you, finally some, down to earth common sense!

I, for one, bought JPlay because I thought it was the official remote for JRiver. I then had to buy JRemote, which I do use. I guess I should have asked for a refund from JPlay. I still have it. Anyone want to buy my license for JPlay.

Larry

I find it very strange that you seem to imply someone else (but yourself) is to blame for this. Or are you trying to say something different?

JPlay nowhere mentions it has any remote functionality nor is it listed in the Apple App Store. All apps that you can run on your iDevice have such a listing.

Gang, I am very close to asking Chris to lock this thread. It is now nowhere near my intent. Can we PLEASE PLEASE get back to JRIver tips and techniques, and take your debate/argument about Jplay and JRiver somewhere else. This debate is old and tiresome. My dual pc Jplay setup sees that JRIver warning like once a week, and it takes 4 seconds to bypass it. Get over it and discuss elsewhere!!!

Moreover, if you are not a JRIver user then this thread is not for you. It is entirely intended as a repository of tips and techniques for using JRIver. There are plenty of "is JRIver right for me" or "why is JRIver better than xyz" threads to crap upon.

JPlay makes a scam of a product. If you like it, you're gullible. Sorry.

We're going to keep our warning in the program.

C'mon Matt. I just asked that we keep this on topic, JRIver tips and techniques. I would have thought you would have appreciated that!!