IGNORED

JRiver tips and techniques: user experiences repository

ted_b

For those of you that need to often see your music via folder view, I threw together a simple version for another poster on another thread (with screenshots). I thought it would make sense to post it here, too, since that is the goal of this thread (repository).

Here's the simple view (create new view, empty view, add file path, browse to parent directory). The view can be panes or categories, doesn't matter if only viewing via Jremote cuz JRemote always shows as cover

folder view.jpg

Here is what it looks like when imported to JRemote. Those are my subdirectories, and when clicking on them then the child folders are displayed, etc etc.

IMG_0075.jpg

I been using Jriver for a couple of days now and it is a big step up over Pure Vinyl I was using. Both in SQ and so far a lot less glitchy. Yesterday I started to up sample to 352.8 and 384 and everything went to whole other level, SQ, sound stage, air, and detail. WOW!

Thanks agin Ted for all your help.

Ted, thank you very much for your posts.

I have bought JRiver Mac, also the Remote iOS App, file/folder view works beautifully.

Now only one issue left to figure out, is wake up on LAN. It could be my Wifi AP, which using custom DD-WRT firmware, need more experiment. Playing SACD ISOs directly is so easy and enjoyable, I wonder why no other DLNA media servers does it.

I'm having an issue in playback with jriver that I hope someone can help with. I get a small skip or dropout near the end of every song, and it happens presumably when prebuffering, since if I change the time setting, it changes the time of the dropout i.e. set at 2 seconds it drops out 2 seconds from the end of the song, 20 seconds it happens 20 seconds from the end of the song. Anything I can do to get rid of this, as it is very annoying?

Vinyl is a hugely overpriced way to get flawed sound. Digital is an inexpensive way to get less flawed (though flawed nonetheless) sound.

Just setting up a Synology DS216+. Also have a WD MyBookLive Duo. Can I use both NAS's in JRMC/Mac, or is there a limit for the number of nas's JRMC can connect to simultaneously?

greyscale

greyscale

Marantz 6007, PSB Image B6 & B5, Synology 216+, 2010 Macbook Pro

Audirvana 3.03, JRiver.

To me, this is still one of the biggest differentiators for JRiver over alternatives like Minim and Roon. Being able to import and watch multiple folders across a network instead of having to keep everything in a single folder hierarchy makes music file management much easier.

To me, this is still one of the biggest differentiators for JRiver over alternatives like Minim and Roon. Being able to import and watch multiple folders across a network instead of having to keep everything in a single folder hierarchy makes music file management much easier.

Not sure how this is a differentiator. All three products JRiver, Roon, and MinimServer work exactly the same way. In each, you can add as many folders as you like to be "watched".

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Not sure how this is a differentiator. All three products JRiver, Roon, and MinimServer work exactly the same way. In each, you can add as many folders as you like to be "watched".

Agree about Roon, but Minimserver does not watch. You need to rescan with any changes to your library. Simon hopes to add that functionality later.

If by 'watch' you mean automatic scan, sure MinimServer currently doesn't have one (don't see the point myself, prefer to manually do it as and when). It certainly can handle multiple file folders, both network shared as well as from the local drive(s).

However, I think the real issue here is one of efficiency - when the media server is doing its internal database housekeeping, scans, even supplying the files for network streaming during playback. There is certainly a case for not using network shares as part of the music library, if you can avoid it, so as not to stress the machine it's running on as well as the network itself. It makes sense to try to run the media server on the same machine that the music files are located on. Media server designers should try better to get their software to run directly on as many networked storage machines as they can - with a special emphasis on the most popular NASs.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

If by 'watch' you mean automatic scan, sure MinimServer currently doesn't have one (don't see the point myself, manually do it as and when). It certainly can handle multiple file folders, both network shared as well as from the local drive(s).

However, I think the real issue here is one of efficiency - when the media server is doing its internal database housekeeping, scans, even supplying the files for network streaming during playback. There is certainly a case for not using network shares as part of the music library, if you can avoid it, so as not to stress the machine it's running on as well as the network itself. It makes sense to try to run the media server on the same machine that the music files are located on. Media server designers should try better to get their software to run directly on as many networked storage machines as they can - with a special emphasis on the most popular NASs.

+1 And yes, that is what "watch" means. :)

I guess I need to do some manual diving because I haven't figured out how to do that with Minim or Roon. Thanks for the tip.

I guess I need to do some manual diving because I haven't figured out how to do that with Minim or Roon. Thanks for the tip.

For Roon, select Preferences, then:

Screen Shot 2016-04-07 at 11.06.38 AM.png

For Minim, you must run MinimWatch and point it toward your server. Then, select Properties, and:

Screen Shot 2016-04-07 at 11.11.17 AM.png

As Ted_b noted earlier, apparently Minim does not update its library from watched folders automatically; you must select Rescan from MinimWatch to get it to update. Roon does this automatically; i.e., as soon as you add files to a watched folder, they show up in the Roon library.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Hi everybody,

Try to get here an answer for the following problem (it's very well made explanation of someone else from another forum):

I have a CAPS v4 Cortes running Win 7 Pro x64 and MC 21.0.15 configured as a DLNA server. This machine uses a Xeon CPU and has a JRMark of around 4600.

I'm using an AURALiC Aries as a DLNA renderer. They are connected over a wired gigabit network. MC is pushing music to the Aries.

I've been experimenting with DSP on the DLNA server. Gapless playback works fine, even with a dozen or more parametric EQ filters. When using convolution playback is not gapless; the gap between tracks is short - a small fraction of a second, but definitely noticeable on music that's continuous across multiple tracks.

Monitoring the performance of the server, the CPU isn't breaking a sweat (max 12%) during playback - so I don't think this is due to hardware limitations.

Has anyone found a solution or workaround to this? (I mean a workaround other than running convolution on a client PC or pre-convolving all of my music files.)

Thanks in advance and nice day to all.

CD40s (3DLab) - EDEL NMR (Engineered) -or- DAPHILE (Q1900itx (Asrock) + LPS 100W (HDPLEX) + tX-USBexp (SOtM) - HYDRA-Z (Audiobyte) + LPS-1 (UpTone) - BLACK DRAGON (Audiobyte) - 2 x Ncore NC400 (Hypex) - M4 (P. E. Léon) - Cables: (Mapleshade, Audioprana, Nordost, Referenz1017, Pangea, Zavfino, Elecaudio, Tomanek) + FMC (TPlink) & NAS (OMV)

I've been using jriver for a few weeks now and I love it. I did a long listening session yesterday and I notice that every once in a while there was what I would call a drop out, it was just a split second. It happened maybe 4-6 times over a 4 hour period. I'm sure its probably just a setting that need to be adjusted but I have no idea which one.

The console/dashboard is in your lower right (WIndows) but is really only used for sample rate acknowledgement and any channel trimming. JRiver buffers aren't affecting your playback issue?

I have a split second dropout near the end of every song, which occurs exactly the same amount of time from the end of the son as the time I have set for the prebuffering setting in jriver. Coincidence? I think not.

Vinyl is a hugely overpriced way to get flawed sound. Digital is an inexpensive way to get less flawed (though flawed nonetheless) sound.