On 7/2/2021 at 10:42 PM, AnotherSpin said:

This performance of Hammerklavier can hardly be accepted as a new benchmark, and yet it is attractive in its own special way.

1960387582_Screenshot2021-07-02at23_45_14.thumb.png.312def142f1ebec29370845b0cdb226c.png

I agree. It's neither as robotic as I feared nor as expressive as I hoped. Among recent releases, I prefer Konstantin Scherbakov's both for the performance and sound. I see that Pentatone recorded this in PCM rather than their customary DSD format. 

12 hours ago, Piano1 said:

I agree. It's neither as robotic as I feared nor as expressive as I hoped. Among recent releases, I prefer Konstantin Scherbakov's both for the performance and sound. I see that Pentatone recorded this in PCM rather than their customary DSD format. 

Thanks for the recommendation, listened to Scherbakov's Hammerklavier. The overall feeling is that the pianist doesn't understand the piece and has very few ideas how to approach it. The playing is stilted, details are out of place and don't add up to the whole. It doesn't take off.

22 hours ago, ray-dude said:

image.png

Listening to the new remaster of "Blue"  A wonderful way to break a 3 week music fast

(edit: cleaner, but less life than the 2013 remaster)

I have been intently listening to this women for half a century!   I have all her albums including the one above.....She simply has no peers!

Thanks Ray-Dude! 

1 hour ago, Piano1 said:

Wow. Well, you should share your expertise with his label, Steinway & Sons, since they clearly know nothing about signing pianists.

The fact that a particular pianist is recorded on this or another label in no way guarantees a high level of interpretation. By no means I am asking you to concur with my subjective impression. You find Scherbakov's Hammerklavier interesting -- that's just awesome. 

8 hours ago, jiminlogansquare said:

I hope I won't get called on technicalities by @Piano1 or @AnotherSpin, and so realize what I say here is fraught, in the context of some recent posts in this thread. I am not a musician (although I was married to one for ten years). I think this pianist plays with an authority of style that my amateur ears enjoy. Also, yes; he was her grandfather.

0C7C826B-DCAA-4196-8175-F0C81D19F782.jpeg

I don't quite understand why you mentioned me. I am an amateur music lover too, and I have my own subjective opinion on particular recording almost always. It may or may not coincide partially or completely with someone else's taste. It is perfectly fine with me.