9 minutes ago, Bystander said:

Though I own it, I think I've only listend to it once and not actually til the end. A little too cute for me, and I couldn't stand his adornments. The '81 Gould will always be the perfect version to me. Andrei Gavrilov's version is another favorite.

Here's mine:

10-years-solo-live-4-cd-box-set.jpg.thumb.png.18b2b6863e52956a27029105052f9b14.png

I personally never fully fell in love with Gould, although the 81 recording was my first ever Goldberg.

We can agree on the Mehldau though!

11 minutes ago, Musicophile said:

I personally never fully fell in love with Gould, although the 81 recording was my first ever Goldberg.

My first exposure was the DG album of Wilhelm Kempff released in 1970.  I probably discovered it in my early ventures into classical music which, as a twenty year old, was an unexplored continent.

Gould, fascinating artist that he was, always distracted me with his background vocals with which I coped by engaging in my own vocal counterpoint as a sort of underlying figured bass.

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

This is a request. My wife has gotten me hooked on Turkish tv mini series on Netflix. The latest one is Filinta. The music is so captivating lots of cymbals and other stuff like guitar and other instruments I don't recognize. Does anyone have any recommendations of middle eastern music?

1 hour ago, Theobetley said:

This is a request. My wife has gotten me hooked on Turkish tv mini series on Netflix. The latest one is Filinta. The music is so captivating lots of cymbals and other stuff like guitar and other instruments I don't recognize. Does anyone have any recommendations of middle eastern music?

There is a thread here - Amazing music of the world, lot of music mentioned, Middle East included

As an aside, I've been educating myself on the lesser known instruments that show up in rare and well conceived performances.  This one highlighted the delightfully named 'oboe d'amore'.  With the HIP movement in full bloom I certainly hope these less common currently produced instruments see more use when called for explicitly.  

Boult, LSO, and the almost unknown Holst works all shine on this disc.

817Coo0opNS._SL1439_.jpg

3 hours ago, Theobetley said:

Adding a little techno to Middle Eastern Traditions and you get two of my fave world music albums:

Mercan Dede - Nefes (aka Breath)

Hector Zazou and Swara - In The House Of Mirrors

I've been a fan pf Phantasm and have posted their works here before.

Just noticed this on Linn...

" We are very excited to reveal that Gramophone has named Phantasm's recording, 'Dowland: Lachrimae or Seven Tears', the winner of the 2017 Early Music Award! Incredibly this is the third time Phantasm has triumphed at the Gramophone Awards and we are immensely proud of their achievements. Congratulations to director Laurence Dreyfus, guest star Elizabeth Kenny and all the players. "

52088919?wid=520&hei=520&fmt=pjpeg

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

61RSrUcYGDL._SX522_.jpg

810IIKcjsvL._SX522_.jpg

One of the best progressive/alternative metal bands, excellent music that's also foot tappingly involving i.e. PRAT for us audiophiles.

Going to be a long Tool weekend (hopefully) with the goal of doing a run through of all their albums... and some whiskey for company.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

Poor Vivaldi, there is a whole series of covers ranging from the irrelevant to the ridiculous!

51i1Amytt1L.jpg

cover-large_file.png

81Uz+qZl-LL._SL1200_.jpg

to whatever this is...

51QhB0LOdDL.jpg

1 hour ago, AnotherSpin said:

I would love to hear the arguments of marketing agent who convinced recording label to put a picture of naked lady with pretentious hairdo and vulgar make-up on a cover of Vivaldi album.

@AnotherSpin  You are much closer to France than I.  Yet the inherent silken crudeness and highly developed style on display is considerably more apparent to me as a skillful modernized portrayal of the musical narrative.  Perhaps renting the rights to a period painting with multiple nudes instead would've relieved the tension you feel built up in their choice of cover art?  :P

B008R5OKI8.jpg&key=b23718f3ff352c1f35e66