"Bringin' It" - A new release from

Christian McBride & his Big Band

61Z+Y+eNLXL.jpg

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

On 9/27/2017 at 6:56 PM, elcorso said:

Talking about Buddhism, concentration et al, I just got this in the mail:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/sounds-clouds-everything-and-nothing-else

Roch

That reminds me, I have a stash of works by Toru Takemitsu that I should go through sooner rather than later.

And speaking Zen inspired music, album of last weekend:

禅 · 意

81oe%2BW3dDsL._SL300_.jpg

Rhymoi Blu-spec CD. Got mine from local China town. Image above has link to Amazon China.

Some combinations of Qin, bamboo flute and percussion on each track. Some of the tracks are from traditional Qin repertoire, those are Qin solo. The rest are improvisation with two or three instruments. The album cover has the English title Zen · Mind, but it's probably more appropriately translated as Sentiment of Zen.

Anyway, not posting for a little while since the Internet connection to my house was cut by vandal middle of last week. Lots of work to get Internet back :(

If the cell tower and television failed to work as well you might have achieved total peace.:)  Sorry to hear your recovery was cut into by this disruption.  

Godzilla's theme song and other movie music was but one side to Akira Ifukube's output.  Here he is with some contemporaries and countrymen in typically good BIS sound.

4443179-origpic-63ce71.jpg

11 hours ago, rando said:

If the cell tower and television failed to work as well you might have achieved total peace.:)

Have been without cable TV for the last 10 years :) I'm now trying to put my identity back together, so cell phone is kind of necessary.

Now that you mentioned Japanese children's TV, I've been catching up on the later parts of xxxHolic lately: xxxholic Kei, xxxHolic Shunmuki and xxxHolic Rō. These may be cartoons but are quite Zen and Shinto inspired. Stylish theme music as well (See today's Song of the Day :))

And speaking of Shinto inspired anime movie, Your Name? is very touching. Highly recommended.

11 hours ago, rando said:

Sorry to hear your recovery was cut into by this disruption.

Thanks. Yup, bad things keep happening.

I just went to my last hospital as visitor last Friday. An aunt fell and shattered her hip a week or so back. These days general hospitals are eager to kick people out ASAP, so she got sent to a rehab hospital 5 days after a big operation. Moving to different hospital is always lots of disruption, but at least I know this last one *really* well so we're helping to ease the transition.

In the mood for more Qin music but haven't found the time yet. Probably today :)

For my part it was less theological children's television than reflection on a locally relevant subject of Japanese origin.  After reading your post I decided to seek out the album I posted in place of that originally intended.  "Bambi vs. Godzilla" was just what I needed to snap me out of a contemplative mood.

CD-3.jpg

On ‎2017‎-‎09‎-‎13 at 7:07 AM, rando said:

Small admission.  I'd forgotten, or never knew, a person of no small importance here developed unflappable devotion to a musical concern I may have recently chastised.  Same also reprinted a book excerpt on the obligatory "Here's a Red Snapper for your red snapper" moment in the following selection's legend.  

I only note all of this due to the repulsive instinctual reaction produced by the Pietro Antonio Rotari painting cropped to fit onto the cover of a very fine Bach Flute Sonatas album (not the expected recording by Jean-Pierre Rampal).  This following an extensive tour of local road projects by way of a Greek cabbie who had chosen to subject me to blaring synth and auto-tune heavy Christian pop music.  Contradictions aplenty.  

I foresee exclusively choosing selections like this one over heroin enriched tales of scuzzy bitches or emanating a fug of hatred and anger from my speakers.

ed51cd1a619eb242c6dd4b75e8ec293e.jpg

Thanks for bringing the Bach flute sonatas album to my attention.  After listening to it (youtube, etc) several times , I purchased the CD.  Oh, well, the Ophélie Gaillard CD of Bach's cello suites will have to wait for next month's purchase.

3 hours ago, accwai said:

Hmm... Not sure about locally relevant, but many anime happens to have theological twist. And it isn't always Zen or Shinto either. Evangelion was heavily inspired by Kabbalah and Christianity, for example :)

You almost got the full value explanation of local relevance.  Suffice to say the metaphorical side of Godzilla, not metaphysical, weighed heavily in my decision to seek out that exact composer. 

Took a chance the first album would be enjoyable.  It was, and I'm enjoying what I've heard so far of the Bartok.  After which I plan to remove my hard drives and set off to find good music that doesn't yield to this manner of targeted marketing.  Where less attractive musicians can be promoted.  Which now makes twice in one post I've almost sounded exactly like AnotherSpin.  :)

MI0003322556.jpg?partner=allrovi.com     002afe91.jpeg

Not sure where else to put this.  I have not yet received the disc but the ability to get it is time sensitive.  Whether this is to your taste is for you to decide.  I quite like what I have heard from the Sterling label's recordings of lesser known composers.  MusicWeb is the only review site in my favorites and I just happened to unearth it last night and notice the small link to the above at the bottom of a page.  Based on the e-mail I received  this morning 1/200 copies will be heading my way!

sterling_sampler.jpg

On 23.9.2017 at 7:11 PM, AnotherSpin said:

Sokolov is vastly over-estimated, imho. Highly subjective tempi fluctuations, ridiculously dramatic dynamic contrasts, and, as David Hurwtiz put it most precisely - bogus profundity.

In 2016 he released an album, called Schubert/Beethoven. As far as I remember, the Schubert is quite okay.